Thread: The Boys

Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post

LOL - honestly, that's more the take-away I was thinking they were going for. Extending the 'joke' from the Avengers/Female slogan reference of the first episode and continuing it - if Starlight had started taking off earrings and they were hairpulling as part of their fight - that's along the lines of what "kicking her on the ground' equated to, for me.
    It's already been posted but the "kicking her on the ground" is a direct reference to the Boys Comics. The difference being that in the Comics everyone involved in the beatdown are dudes...including Stormfront.

Two insane finales in a row. I love this show. I hope for more action in season 3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    I get what you are saying. I dont think the beat down was all about the non spectacle of it though taking aim at those ridiculous super hero scenes with the third act CGI fest.

Because they did do the big explosion when stromfront blew up the shed holding her anti weapons that frenchie had made. And that whole field scene wasnt cheap with Stromfront and Starlights powers going off also. I thought it was a nice reference to the Comics where An american, french, uk and Soviet Union member teamed up to wail on a nazi but obviously on the show its the ladies that have the powers and the soviet member is dead in some vought research facility, seagrove?
    Yeah that's correct, it has nothing to do with some minimalistic message or "real people" or shitting on big action scenes. It's just recreating a specific scene from the comics with a slight wink at the cringy "empowerment" scene from endgame. They'll do spectacle whenever they feel like it, and have done so in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Which again, is why I wasn't even going to bring the scene up until the 'its feminism' 'its empowering' points I disagreed with. As I don't disagree with the entire scene or that its all bad or anything close to that. I enjoyed the hell out of it and cheered at the FIRST of the fight when The Female was REALLY throwing down and the other two started in. It was only the fact that it devolved the way it did - that I felt it was more 'ehhhh this isn't making sense...' anymore.
    Yeah I made the same point earlier, but somehow people can't seem to separate "I don't find this kind of beatdown empowering" from "this shouldn't have happened the way it did" or seeing a minor point of criticism as some major attack on the series style. While I don't really agree with you that their attacks weren't doing anything, I think its pretty normal to not feel especially good about three people kicking into someone in the fetal position.
    Last edited by Warning; 2020-10-17 at 11:14 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Eh to me I thought it was the opposite. And one of the few scenes in the whole series that made zippo sense, at all - unless your whole point was to reduce women to 5 year olds on a playground.

The start of the fight when they are using some powers on each other I was like - YEA! KICK HER A!!. This is gonna be good!

And then the're just... hitting and kicking her on the ground? WTF is that suppose to do? At all? All these superheroes are fighting and all they can do is - kick at her in a circle on the ground? Really? How incompetent and ineffectual can you possibly get? Not even supe-kicks on the ground shooting her around like a pinball - which would have at least made sense given the power levels of the people we're dealing with.

Would only have been more stupid and offensive if they had resorted to hair pulling instead. But "empowerment?" Not at all.

That scene just doesn't work for me, at all. There's no reason why any Superhero fighting another Superhero - much less 3 on 1 - that they all stop using powers and are reduced to kicking someone in the fetal position on the ground. Someone who won't be affected, at all, by their punching and kicking. They know that doesn't hurt her (?!) so wth? They could have actually damaged her and instead they were useless.

I mean maybe the point is to say they are all acting like children in a playground fight? Maybe they were just killing some time between the two scenes - because it was certainly pointless otherwise. Stormfront takes off - unharmed - to go have the actual plot point with Ryan et. al. off in the woods. Surely the point of the scene was't to show how stupid and ineffectual female superheros are (?).

I just don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes no sense to me how three super-power women kicking one on the ground - instead of doing anything with the powers they actually have that would hurt her - is empowering or "feminist". At all.

"All female" Superhero fight - and that's the best they could do for them? Really?

And this is empowering?! How?

I'm so confused. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

100% Disagree.

It started out awesome. But it ended poorly. All 3 superhero females losing their intelligence and being entirely ineffective at hurting Stormfront in any way at all. Instead they de-volve to a bunch of 5 year olds kicking someone in the dirt, until she leaves.

How is any of that 'awesome.' NOW - IF they had been normal humans; absolutely awesome. But the fact that they are superheros leaves me feeling we were all insulted. (not 'we' as in females, but 'we' as in the viewing audience.)
    which powers are you referring to? Maeve and The Female were using their Super Strength and Starlight was too. yeah she could've used her light powers but as we all know that would've pushed Stormfront away and given her a chance to escape

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Really, the only thing that’s bothersome to me in the fight, is Stormfronts powers. In an earlier episode we see her take out a whole side of a building with them, essentially cutting right through it, then also using her powers to kill a father(?) in the same scene, so it kinda annoyed me that when she used them on Hughie, Mothers Milk and Frenchie, all it did was knock them back a ways? Shouldn’t it have killed them?

Is it actually lightning or just focused energy beams or something? If it’s electricity, shouldn’t it have electrocuted and burned them?
    It is possible she can vary the intensity, however that then begs the question "why not go full blast on the boys?". I did think when she blasted them "why aren't they in bits?" then "phew!". Maybe she wanted to use her hands on them, I dunno, but yea, it is an inconsistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Nah not really how that works, I heard them use that excuse but I just think they chickened out. They'll bring her back either regenerated or augmented. Disturbing how popular she is. Not surprising but disturbing.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does only one of them in the picture have a cone on his head?

In the comic the deep is pretty much a Visual gag who does nothing. For example at the end he gets put in a klan hood/condom esc costume Because he can’t/won’t take off the diving helm.
    All you had to do was read his post.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Yeah, cause it looks like she was electrocuting The Female right before she snapped her neck, so definitely inconsistent. I get not wanting to gravely injure the main characters—cause they aren’t superheroes—but you have to at least make it believable and not suddenly weaken the main antagonists’ powers.
    Yeah this is something that happens a lot in series and I really dislike it. Similarly when a new big bad is randomly introduced that is much stronger than the previous one. I hope they don't go down that route with "The Boys". I kind of genuinely would like to see how the world deals with an evil superman that has no equal. I also think Antony Starr's acting is phenomenal. So (without having read the comics) I hope we get just that, the threat to remain as it has been painted thus far, with no cheap outs or changing those parameters for the sake of the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Yeah this is something that happens a lot in series and I really dislike it. Similarly when a new big bad is randomly introduced that is much stronger than the previous one. I hope they don't go down that route with "The Boys". I kind of genuinely would like to see how the world deals with an evil superman that has no equal. I also think Antony Starr's acting is phenomenal. So (without having read the comics) I hope we get just that, the threat to remain as it has been painted thus far, with no cheap outs or changing those parameters for the sake of the plot.
    Comic Homelander is different from TV Homelander. Vought had a contingency in the comics for Homelander but it didn't work. I would imagine that TV Vought also has one but it will probably be different since the character trajectory is different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Comic Homelander is different from TV Homelander. Vought had a contingency in the comics for Homelander but it didn't work. I would imagine that TV Vought also has one but it will probably be different since the character trajectory is different.
    I'm pretty sure that Ryan was the "contingency" they had planned. Or at least, the first one, the one they'd use to control Homelander (they may have a second, in a more "final" sense, hell, they may have a way to de-power people with a Compound V counter-agent, hypothetically.)

Vought wouldn't have been keeping Ryan and Becca on a Vought compound out of the goodness of their hearts. It wasn't about protecting the two of them, it was about retaining their contingency plan in-house and under control.

Yeah, cause it looks like she was electrocuting The Female right before she snapped her neck, so definitely inconsistent. I get not wanting to gravely injure the main characters—cause they aren’t superheroes—but you have to at least make it believable and not suddenly weaken the main antagonists’ powers.
    The impression I got was that there's a weird telekinetic component to Stormfront's electricity. She can grab and throw things with it, and does so constantly. I suspect when she was destroying the building in that early scene, before killing the Female's brother on the roof, that was less her electricity blowing everything up through straight energy, and more her using that telekinetic component to rip things apart and throw them at other things. There's fire in one floor, but that could be a broken gas main igniting, not Stormfront's powers.

If you pay attention, she doesn't actually burn things with her powers much, it's more throwing things around. If it WERE straight electricity, Starlight would be her natural kryptonite; Starlight's powers are literally electricity absorption and then emitting that energy in light blasts. All Stormfront's powers would do to Starlight, if they were just electricity, is power her up. It'd be like shooting a concentrated sunlight energy blast at Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Ryan was the "contingency" they had planned. Or at least, the first one, the one they'd use to control Homelander (they may have a second, in a more "final" sense, hell, they may have a way to de-power people with a Compound V counter-agent, hypothetically.)

Vought wouldn't have been keeping Ryan and Becca on a Vought compound out of the goodness of their hearts. It wasn't about protecting the two of them, it was about retaining their contingency plan in-house and under control.
    I think the contingency idea is true...but I also believe it was supposed to be something of an experiment as well...to see what kind of superhuman they get when raised in a more nurturing environment than what Homelander got, but still under observation. They certainly seemed fine with keeping a hands off approach and letting Becca raise him how she liked rather than trying to push him into developing his powers so that he could be a direct counter to Homelander. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn they have similar setups for other children all over the world.

Ryan is a potential contingency and also a future profit making endeavour. Vought would've had something previously planned whether it was useful or not. One thing they don't play up enough in the TV show is that Vought isn't particularly competent at what they do. Their continued existence relies almost solely on luck, lobbying and marketing.

All Stormfront's powers would do to Starlight, if they were just electricity, is power her up. It'd be like shooting a concentrated sunlight energy blast at Superman.
    Maybe not. Superman's power derives from absorbing specific wavelengths of energy. Stormfront's energy output may not be useful energy for Starlight. It would be like the opposite of Havoc and Cyclops. Both absorb specific sources of energy (including each others) but there's a lot they can't absorb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Maybe not. Superman's power derives from absorbing specific wavelengths of energy. Stormfront's energy output may not be useful energy for Starlight. It would be like the opposite of Havoc and Cyclops. Both absorb specific sources of energy (including each others) but there's a lot they can't absorb.
    Right, but what Starlight absorbs is, explicitly and clearly demonstrated, electricity. That's why she's stuck in that cell until the emergency lights turn on and give her enough of a power draw to charge herself up.

There might be limits to how much she can absorb, but that would need to be established, and it wasn't. And there's really no reason to think that Stormfront's powers wouldn't be absorbable, if they were electricity. But they don't really function like electricity; they move things telekinetically more than they burn and electrocute. The supposed "blast" from electric bursts is mostly your muscles spasming and launching you; that's NOT what we see with Stormfront. It's also purple, which electricity isn't.

That's the point. It doesn't act like electricity, it doesn't look right for electricity, Starlight can't channel it like she does electricity. So maybe it's just not electricity in any real, functional sense. Just looks enough like it for "Stormfront" to be a reasonable name. Let's recall; she originally went by Lady Liberty, which doesn't suggest electricity at all.

Overall I am very happy with the season, but with one caveat: The Church plotline. I absolutely love Goran Visnjic and was thrilled to see him tackle a role like this one. He's also very easy on the eyes. Those are small grievances however, I was starting to feel invested in the Church conspiracy and then FLUPP, head 'sploded and a twist. How overpowered can a character be? Not a fan of that, really. Small caveat though, considering the rest of the expansion, the acting and the setup for season 3. Can't wait to see how the team will tackle the power they're up against...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Overall I am very happy with the season, but with one caveat: The Church plotline. I absolutely love Goran Visnjic and was thrilled to see him tackle a role like this one. He's also very easy on the eyes. Those are small grievances however, I was starting to feel invested in the Church conspiracy and then FLUPP, head 'sploded and a twist. How overpowered can a character be? Not a fan of that, really. Small caveat though, considering the rest of the expansion, the acting and the setup for season 3. Can't wait to see how the team will tackle the power they're up against...
    They were really setting up the church as a major player in the coming season, i really dind't see it coming at the end.

Also what's the deal with fresca?

Just binge watched both seasons these past few days. Really enjoyed it.

The unveiling of the head popper, just can't wrap my head around why they did what they did in a prior big event... whether they're working with Edgar or not either way it doesn't make sense... o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Also what's the deal with fresca?
    The showrunner Kripke said in an interview it doesn't mean anything, they just thought it was funny.

I just finished season 2. It felt like they kind of lost their way halfway through the season, like there were a bunch of ideas they had but it never really came together that well. Stormfront's racism was really badly done, it was like the PG version of racism so it made her feel ridiculous as this big evil Nazi.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-10-22 at 02:39 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just watched Season 1 Episode 2 of The Boys.

The Boys premiered on July 26, 2019 on Amazon Prime.

I know I'm late. I'm always late.

Click for my thoughts on episode (I use spoiler tags if you still haven't watched the show lol:

Hughie should have at least shielded himself from the explosion blast so he won't be all covered in Translucent's guts.

At least cover yourself, Hughie." "With a blanket or something or going behind a desk, going behind an object before detonating Transuclent. That way you won't have to shower off Translucent's blood and guts off of you right after.

After Hughie detonates Transuclent, I was thinking: "Oh, that's why this episode is called Cherry. Cherry bomb lol. Nice."

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    It's got Karl Urban, so that's a reason for me to watch it right there,
    Remember him from Xena lol. He's an amazing actor!
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2020-10-26 at 08:11 PM.

Definitely could be the case. I’m just annoyed by her using her powers against them, and that it basically did nothing. If they didn’t want them to be hurt by her, they should have just had her do nothing to them, imho. Her spell powers have come across so strong, only for her to use them against The Boys and them come out of it basically unscathed.

Then again, maybe she didn’t feel threatened by them and just wanted to toss them a bit cause she was annoyed by their “antics”. Who knows....
    I think the most logical reasoning is that poor writing is to blame for a LOT of the inconsistencies (which are littered throughout the second season), not that there's some good in-universe explanation. Quite a lot of what happens in season 2 is either out-of-character in comparison to season 1, contrived against common sense just to make plot happen, or just blatant platform messaging.

As is with the specific scenario in question, it's fairly easy to see that what happens is just because the script says so, not because someone with Stormfront's mentality and character would actually do what she did. The Boys should've been dead a bunch of times this season with how certain scenes/scenarios were set up, but every time the supes get depowered in the moment or forget they have their powers (especially Homelander's powers) just so the plot would go on. Basically, the writers are relying on plot armor a LOT this season, and that's rather disappointing. The writers are showing that they don't think about the consequences or trying to make scenarios plausible enough within the rules of the universe, it's just more of "I want X to happen, so let's suspend previously established rules and logic...". While the first season did have its issues, the second seasons is way worse in this regard.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    Remember him from Xena lol. He's an amazing actor!
    Didn't know he was in Xena, now I might have to sit down and watch it lol. I first saw him in LotRs and didn't care for him, but his follow up projects won me over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Didn't know he was in Xena, now I might have to sit down and watch it lol. I first saw him in LotRs and didn't care for him, but his follow up projects won me over.
    Some of the many faces of Karl Urban

Resident Cosplay Progressive