Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

General Strike as Contingency for Democracy

People new to the Left mistakenly think a General Strike will happen if Vermont Jesus says the Secret Word on twitter.
    If there is ever any general strike in this country, it’s coming from the established labor movement. The only group capable of running the thing is the established labor movement. Akin to Sara Nelson’s call for a general strike to end the government shutdown. It was tremendously effective!
    The moment a few air traffic controllers decided to not show up, Trump and McConnell caved because it affected their ability to fly around the nation. Even if Trump does go into the dark night, the courts attack on democracy may require more direct action.

Several local labor councils are starting to plan for a general strike, follow the plan from the Rochester-Genesee Valley Area Labor Federation.

The Rochester move spurred discussion and debate of a possible general strike in union after union, even though some labor leaders see it as a drastic, hard-to-pull-off action. “The idea has gotten a lot more legs than I ever thought it would,” Maloney told the Guardian. “Our democracy is in jeopardy of a wannabe dictator. It’s time to be counted and do whatever it takes to remove him from office if he attempts to retain power against the will of the American people.”

Maloney acknowledged that a general strike would be an extraordinary measure. “In drastic times, you need drastic measures,” he said.

The Rochester federation’s resolution states: “The extreme risk currently posed to the historic institutions of democracy in our nation may require more widespread and vigorous resistance than at any time in recent history.”

Maloney said that in a 22 October call with labor leaders, Richard Trumka, the AFL-CIO’s president, stressed that until 3 November, unions should overwhelmingly focus on maximizing voter turnout for Biden. After that, Trumka said, unions can focus on what to do if Trump resists a peaceful transition.

The AFL-CIO’s executive council, approved a resolution on October 19 saying: “Democracies are not, in the last analysis, protected by judges or lawyers, reporters or publishers. The survival of democracy depends on the determination of working people to defend it. And America’s labor movement is indeed determined to defend our democratic republic.”

Not a podcaster or Vermont Jeses

If GOP officials try to steal the election after clearly losing or if the NeoConfederacy Judges seek to overturn democracy, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people in the streets. But the only organization that has the capacity to organize people into something more than one-off protests is the labor movement.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The hell are going on about this time, I just see a bunch of random words with no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    The hell are going on about this time, I just see a bunch of random words with no meaning.
    That's some Trump level obfuscation I'm seeing.

Why do you hate the power of organized labour so much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, all that fucking verbage that COULD have very much been framed as "We all need to come together as Americans and organize like these Unions are planning if the GOP attempts to overturn a Democratic victory." Was instead framed as "Those goddamned Bernie bros can't figure their shit out, so our non-existing "Labor movement" is the only thing that can save us!"

We're 3 fucking days from the election, in which Bernie is NOT running as a spoiler, and you STILL find the need to shit on the lefties.

Fuck man, there are days I honestly think you're just a really good Trump troll.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

You got me, i've been a Trump supporter all this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Jesus, all that fucking verbage that COULD have very much been framed as "We all need to come together as Americans and organize like these Unions are planning if the GOP attempts to overturn a Democratic victory." Was instead framed as "Those goddamned Bernie bros can't figure their shit out, so our non-existing "Labor movement" is the only thing that can save us!"

We're 3 fucking days from the election, in which Bernie is NOT running as a spoiler, and you STILL find the need to shit on the lefties.

Fuck man, there are days I honestly think you're just a really good Trump troll.
    Oh, I think I get it now, this is about Sanders.

No, wait, nevermind, still confused. So the problem is that Sanders is now too busy campaigning for Biden. Which is now bad because he.. well.. I dont know, fuck it.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Given Biden's support for TPP/TTIP in the past and his plans to get that back underway and his plans to appoint someone to Secretary of Treasury who supports it, Current top choices being a former Bain Capital lackey and Hedge Fund ghoul or the former TPP/TTIP's biggest fan in close second, Labour can expect nothing more than a knife in the back from Joe Biden.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2020-10-30 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Given Biden's support for TPP/TTIP in the past and his plans to get that back underway and his plans to appoint someone to Secretary of Treasury who supports it, Current top choices being a former Bain Capital lackey and Hedge Fund ghoul or the former TPP/TTIP's biggest fan in close second, Labour can expect nothing more than a knife in the back from Joe Biden.
    And even if he did appoint that random person, it'll still be better than whomever Trump is appointing.

So... yeah, non-issue.

Remember, any time you're going to bitch about Biden being a fake liberal or whatever, ask yourself... "would Trump do any better?" Because if the answer is "no, in fact Trump would do a lot worse," which is the answer, bar none, to every progressive policy when weighed between Biden Trump, then you can probably chalk it up as a non-issue in this election.

Want me to make you a flow chart?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Post like a Trump supporter, get treated like a Trump supporter.

Speaking of which...
    I'll take a Biden maybe over a Trump definitely.

PS Did you early vote for Biden? Or are you awaiting for election day? We already know the teacher's union has made your decision for you.

10+ Year Old Account

Speaking of which...

PS Did you early vote for Biden? Or are you awaiting for election day? We already know the teacher's union has made your decision for you.
    Are you sure?? I might be a russian bot, you should check. That damn horshoe theory!
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-10-31 at 12:44 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

Speaking of which...

I already voted and plead eternally for a list to exist so I can stop getting messages from UBER/LYFT Simps begging me to help their company keep their slaves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And even if he did appoint that random person, it'll still be better than whomever Trump is appointing.

So... yeah, non-issue.

Remember, any time you're going to bitch about Biden being a fake liberal or whatever, ask yourself... "would Trump do any better?" Because if the answer is "no, in fact Trump would do a lot worse," which is the answer, bar none, to every progressive policy when weighed between Biden Trump, then you can probably chalk it up as a non-issue in this election.

Want me to make you a flow chart?
    Pyrrhic Victory, you won, and got nothing. for as Biden would say, NOTHING will fundamentally change. And I never said Biden is a fake liberal. On the contrary Biden is the ultimate Liberal, he is Liberal through and through.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you explain why you prefer unregulated trade? How are you not stabbing labour in the face, by removing all trade regulations? Do you believe in corporate altruism?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Pyrrhic Victory, you won, and got nothing. for as Biden would say, NOTHING will fundamentally change. And I never said Biden is a fake liberal. On the contrary Biden is the ultimate Liberal, he is Liberal through and through.
    A Biden victory will be miles better than a continued four years of Trump.

So yes. A victory, because you didn't lose. That's still a victory, no matter how much you try and debase it.

Donald Trump is not some harmless right-wing monkey. Not when nazis and white supremacists feel empowered under his reign and openly march the streets. Not when he's attempted at every step to pervert democracy and instill partisan loyalists into positions of power. Not while the institutions of a woman's right to choose and gay marriage have been very plausibly imperiled by his supreme court nominees. Not when hundreds of thousands of Americans have died because of his utter refusal to do the bare minimum of listen to medical experts, let alone do anything of substance, during a pandemic.

So make no mistake, Biden combatting all of those things merely by not being Trump? That is absolutely a victory, so your personal quibbling about corporatism and the regressive left and fake progressives and western hegemony and other buzzwords attempting to create the false notion of "both sides" amount to a whole hill of nothing.

Trump is a dangerous threat to the stability of the United States. Biden is not, and I hope and pray that on November third we'll be able to consign a one-term Trump presidency as having been a sad, fleeting error on the face of American politics to the history books.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I already voted and plead eternally for a list to exist so I can stop getting messages from UBER/LYFT Simps begging me to help their company keep their slaves.
    What party are you registered with? I've been NPA until I moved recently and never used to get shit in terms of texts/calls/emails. I registered as Dem to get the primary ballot without needing to request it anymore, and that's when I started getting some texts. Though oddly mine have largely been No on 22.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What party are you registered with? I've been NPA until I moved recently and never used to get shit in terms of texts/calls/emails. I registered as Dem to get the primary ballot without needing to request it anymore, and that's when I started getting some texts. Though oddly mine have largely been No on 22.
    None. I think my number got out for volunteering and giving some money. I am not registered to a political party, but was a registered Dem in the now seemingly distant past. I've gotten a mix of No on 22, to which I say "I've already voted, and voted down 22, Uber and Lyft can go fuck themselves" or for Yes on 22 "Stop texting me, tell Uber and Lyft to go fuck themselves".

But definitely Yes vote has spent gobs of money to likely lose and they got a bunch of orgs to back them via dubious means.

- - - Updated - - -

A Biden victory will be miles better than a continued four years of Trump.

So yes. A victory, because you didn't lose. That's still a victory, no matter how much you try and debase it.
    Fifty Nuclear strikes on a city is yes less terrible then one hundred, I do agree. I suspect the city might not really care after awhile.

As for the rest of that, Well, Idk whatever reward you wish to receive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fifty Nuclear strikes on a city is yes less terrible then one hundred, I do agree. I suspect the city might not really care after awhile.

As for the rest of that, Well, Idk whatever reward you wish to receive.
    Yeah, no. Biden is more akin to a flavor of icecream you don't like, while Trump is the equivalent of getting punched in the face every day for four years.

Well, maybe not you, because all you claim to care about are borderline, if not outright, conspiracies related to western hegemonic boogeymen. But for anyone living this side of reality... the contrast is pretty evident.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no. Biden is more akin to a flavor of icecream you don't like, while Trump is the equivalent of getting punched in the face every day for four years.

Well, maybe not you, because all you claim to care about are borderline, if not outright, conspiracies related to western hegemonic boogeymen. But for anyone living this side of reality... the contrast is pretty evident.
    Completely destroying organized labor as a matter of public policy isn't "A different flavor of a thing you like".

Quick question, so, when if ever is one allowed to criticize or ask "Hey, How is Biden actually going to govern?" because I suspect we aren't heading towards a one-party rule for all time situation. Is asking "Is Biden going to actually do anything anyone wants? Well anyone not on Wall-Street that is?" Because so far we have a promise that "Nothing will fundamentally change", a cabinet potentials list to make anyone's skin crawl who is the Left of Ronald Reagan, and a VP choice who will likely be the president who has zero substance but a bad record on prisons, and more Wall-Street cash than previous presidential candidates of record.

Biden is, for all intensive purposes, looking to be the next President. Trumps bungled the COVID response, has too many powerful enemies and failed to deliver on a lot of his promises and now runs as a typical Mitt Romney Republican but still a public asshole as he always was. Plus the economies in Ruins, I think the time to stop talking about Trump is over. What exactly is Biden going to do? Or is nobody ever allowed to discuss that?
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2020-10-31 at 04:32 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I think I get it now, this is about Sanders.

No, wait, nevermind, still confused. So the problem is that Sanders is now too busy campaigning for Biden. Which is now bad because he.. well.. I dont know, fuck it.
    What? No the article is about Unions organizing together to stage massive strikes across a number of industries if Trump rejects results of the election or if the courts try to steal it if he loses. It has nothing to do with Bernie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely destroying organized labor as a matter of public policy isn't "A different flavor of a thing you like".

Quick question, so, when if ever is one allowed to criticize or ask "Hey, How is Biden actually going to govern?" because I suspect we aren't heading towards a one-party rule for all time situation. Is asking "Is Biden going to actually do anything anyone wants? Well anyone not on Wall-Street that is?" Because so far we have a promise that "Nothing will fundamentally change", a cabinet potentials list to make anyone's skin crawl who is the Left of Ronald Reagan, and a VP choice who will likely be the president who has zero substance but a bad record on prisons, and more Wall-Street cash than previous presidential candidates of record.

Biden is, for all intensive purposes, looking to be the next President. Trumps bungled the COVID response, has too many powerful enemies and failed to deliver on a lot of his promises and now runs as a typical Mitt Romney Republican but still a public asshole as he always was. Plus the economies in Ruins, I think the time to stop talking about Trump is over. What exactly is Biden going to do? Or is nobody ever allowed to discuss that?
    Biden has a broad list of platform policies he's running on, many of which include reform, higher taxes on the wealthy, and other things you've ignored because blah blah blah corporate money blah blah wall street. I suggest you consult that, rather than going off policy you've extrapolated from people you think he'll appoint to his cabinet. And then you present that in some sort of context that... Trump is going to do better? Trump, the very embodiment of corporate nepotism and greed?

And Trump hasn't lost yet. This election is still on between Biden and Trump. And so long as Trump is telling white supremacists to stand by at the ready, is running concentration camps on the border, and CONTINUES to have no plan to address the pandemic that's been going on for almost a whole year, yeah, I'm going to say... Biden is better than him, pretty squarely and on every front. Ergo, he's the better candidate, and ergo, he should be president.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Trump is not some harmless clown. People were willing to sit out the 2016 election or take a chance on him because they thought that was the case. 200,000 dead Americans later, and you're going to claim that same thing?

So if you're trying to make people unsure of Biden as a presidential candidate, then you're doing so because you think he and Trump might as well be "the same." Which is not even remotely close to the truth. Believe it or not there are things in politics that are important other than just your vague notions of "sticking it to the western hegemonic power structure," which it's not like Trump was going to do anyway. People are being buried in mass graves and your go to is "sure, but will the guy who's going to ensure there won't be any more mass graves really going to stick it to those fat cats on wall street?"

Why does Wall Street like Biden more than Trump? Because Biden has policy... at all. Policy they can plan around. He offers stability. Trump's policy centers only around himself and his own capricious whims, which creates unpredictable volatility in the market. But make no mistake the people suffering under Trump are not billionaires. This recession we're heading into will not hurt them most of all. For every singular business losing revenue because of the pandemic or spontaneous, ill-thought out tariff, there are thousands more employees out of work or having to risk their health because of it. EVERYONE suffers in chaos, especially the brand Trump creates, but the people that are going to feel it most sharply? The poor and the middle class. So this sort of underlying notion of "wall street likes him so he must be dirty" you're asserting about Biden really rings hollow. They like him not because Biden is towing some massive Wall Street line or dislike Trump because he's the "champion of the people who will ensure the fat cats get what's coming to them," it's because Wall Street likes their money and likes an environment where they can make a lot of it, which will happen more easily under Biden and will happen with far more volatility (but still happen) under Trump. But as I said the volatility experienced by wall street under Trump is not "benefiting" the little guy, and, as I said, is hurting them magnitudes more than the rich.

Again, you're basically saying "well, I hate wall street, and wall street stock brokers really dislike being punched in the face every day for four years, so everyone being punched in the face for four years must be good!" You'd have to have your head shoved up your own ass pretty far to think "well if something bad happens to these people I don't like, then that is the ultimate good, and if other unrelated people suffer, well... at least the right people are still being punished too!"
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-31 at 05:03 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    [Trump] has too many powerful enemies and failed to deliver on a lot of his promises
    Is this a joke? This is QAnon... lol

- - - Updated - - -

The bold is the definition of disingenuous. In the same paragraph, you claim that we can’t discuss what Biden will do, followed by claiming nothing will change. If Biden can go on national TV, lay out a public option, legalize pot and make drug offenses no longer a criminal offense, literally say he wants to get off oil while Trump is mocking him on the stage... Your claims to want to discuss what Biden will do is disingenuous... your premise in the same sentence is that he will do nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus the economies in Ruins, I think the time to stop talking about Trump is over.
    After more than 3 years... it’s about Time you started talking about Trump...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    What? No the article is about Unions organizing together to stage massive strikes across a number of industries if Trump rejects results of the election or if the courts try to steal it if he loses. It has nothing to do with Bernie.
    Read the start of Ops post again. Its possible to make a thread without letting slip how much you hate anything left of centre.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-10-31 at 12:30 PM.