How about we put a pin in the discussion of how time travel works, and just settle on the fact that she's alive RIGHT NOW. Whether or not she's been dead or "dead" or neither seems a little pedantic at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    True, but they wouldn't have known that in that moment. It doesn't really remove free will. Just because he was always going to choose something doesn't mean he DIDN'T choose.

I means I will ALWAYS choose my family over a stranger. Does that mean I don't have free will?
    It effectively does in the story. Because the character can never choose to act differently, it was pre destined he would choose NOT to save Kanan.
    You could potentially choose to not save a family member over a stranger.

Even then, it would remove any tension for the viewer because Palpatine would not be able to do anything he hasn't already done. The characters wouldn't know that, but we the viewer would. Just because the character doesn't know he doesn't have a choice and thinks he does is irrelevant because effectively it removes the character's ability to choose, they are just unaware of it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Point being, at the end of the Rebels show, Ahsoka is alive. Whether she died or not in that alternate timeline is irrelevant to that fact because in the timeline/reality the characters are living in now and being shown in the shows, Ahsoka is alive.

All the nuance you're discussing, while it has a lore impact, doesn't change Ahsoka's fate....she's currently alive.
    The original point was whether or not she bested Vader,. She did not because she died. She was straight up dead until Ezra went back in time and pulled her out of the moment.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The original point was whether or not she bested Vader,. She did not because she died. She was straight up dead until Ezra went back in time and pulled her out of the moment.
    She did not best vader but she also was not killed by him.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    From Vader's point of view, he did.

Welcome to Star Wars.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    From Vader's point of view, he did.

Welcome to Star Wars.
    Now we're talking.
    Driving on Sunshine.

Where was it confirmed that she was actually dead though? Or that she died in that duel?

It's certainly implied, but it's never confirmed. There's certainly precedent for characters to "die" off screen and then be brought back because they weren't actually dead.

But it honestly doesn't really matter, does it? She's alive NOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where was it confirmed that she was actually dead though? Or that she died in that duel?

It's certainly implied, but it's never confirmed. There's certainly precedent for characters to "die" off screen and then be brought back because they weren't actually dead.

It is only an implication. And in Star Wars, characters can literally die and be brought back, so in the end it doesn't matter.

Did the Emperor die on the Second Death star, but he is alive in RoS so does it really matter if he died or not? It may not matter to you, but it could matter to someone else. Some people don't care for Rebels, so what happened in Rebels is irrelevant all together all that matters is Ashoka is somehow alive in the Mandalorian to them.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-12-17 at 07:13 PM.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    It is only an implication. And in Star Wars, characters can literally die and be brought back, so in the end it doesn't matter.

Did the Emperor die on the Second Death star, but he is alive in RoS so does it really matter if he died or not? It may not matter to you, but it could matter to someone else. Some people don't care for Rebels, so what happened in Rebels is irrelevant all together all that matters is Ashoka is somehow alive in the Mandalorian to them.
    That's cus his force special power lets him cheat death.
    Driving on Sunshine.

It’s not really implied because she was shown to survive in the same episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's cus his force special power lets him cheat death.
    Like how Ezra used special Force powers to cheat death.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It’s not really implied because she was shown to survive in the same episode.
    Which many fans argued about whether or not she died. I am not joking, there were arguments on whether or not she died.

Stop pretending it was "obvious she survived" in that episode because it was not. You are using latter episode information to make that statement whether or not you realize it.

Now, that said, I felt it was a sign Vader spared/left her for dead ... when I saw the episode, hinting that there was still Anakin in Vader that wouldn't slaughter Ashoka.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-12-17 at 07:39 PM.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Which many fans argued about whether or not she died. I am not joking, there were arguments on whether or not she died.

Stop pretending it was "obvious she survived" in that episode because it was not.
    No his special force powers are to connect with animals.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Stop pretending it was "obvious she survived" in that episode because it was not. You are using latter episode information to make that statement whether or not you realize it.

Now, that said, I felt it was a sign Vader spared/left her for dead ... when I saw the episode, hinting that there was still Anakin in Vader that wouldn't slaughter Ashoka.
    It was ambiguous at the time but now we know ezra saved her.
    Driving on Sunshine.

10+ Year Old Account
    She was still dead to the rest of the galaxy until galaxy until Ezra dragged her through space and time.

10+ Year Old Account
    No his special force powers are to connect with animals.

It was ambiguous at the time but now we know ezra saved her.
    He used the World between Worlds ... which is time travel by the Force. He literally saved Ashoka using "Special force powers."
    –The Sith Code

The writers will never explain it until they have to, and when they do they'll explain it in whatever way serves the story they are trying to tell at that time. It's almost as irrelevant of a detail to a story as is possible and yet this argument just keeps going.

10+ Year Old Account
    He used the World between Worlds ... which is time travel by the Force. He literally saved Ashoka using "Special force powers."
    He gained access to the world between but it's not like that place is his power incarnate.
    Driving on Sunshine.

10+ Year Old Account

If she wasn't dead then I guess she didn't need saving. It was very much confirmed that she died in that duel that's why Ezra went back and saved her. There was no reason Ezra to do what he did if she didn't die. No significance in his actions. No significance in the device used to save her, no significance in the duel, or her gratitude towards him.

If you died on the operating table and a doctor revived you, you don't turn and say "Gothcha doc, I was never really dead!".

10+ Year Old Account
    If she wasn't dead then I guess she didn't need saving. It was very much confirmed that she died in that duel that's why Ezra went back and saved her. There was no reason Ezra to do what he did if she didn't die. No significance in his actions. No significance in the device used to save her, no significance in the duel, or her gratitude towards him.

If you died on the operating table and a doctor revived you, you don't turn and say "Gothcha doc, I was never really dead!".
    " Would have" and "actually died" are very different things.

That's exactly why the doctor has to pronounce you dead with a time. Heart stopping is not dead, breathing stopping is not dead. Dead is way more final than that.
    Driving on Sunshine.

10+ Year Old Account
    He gained access to the world between but it's not like that place is his power incarnate.
    I never implied they were. I said he used special force powers to save Ashoka, I never claimed they were his specifically.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And Obi Wan Kenobi was dead until Luke and Leia brought him out of retirement. The galaxy assuming someone is dead doesn't mean they are.
    Those are not the same thing, from the perspective of someone in universe and us as outside observers. Obi went into exile so people just assumed he died. He was still walking around though. Ashoka was struck down. She did not physically exist to anyone until Ezra pulled her through time. She was dead and gone to both the galaxy and the observer.