Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Torghast is what Island Expeditions basically should have been, IMO.

Not to say it doesn't need further iteration. I think as a core system it's really solid, but they need to flesh it out more. Balance adjustments, letting you save and resume a run, and it still needs its own internal progression systems. Could also do with more variety in environments and enemy types.

7+ Year Old Account
    Islands were mindless, but at least you could farm cosmetics and mounts

Torghast is a slog
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by keyone01 View Post
    Depends on class.
    Some got so uninspired anima powers that chill, mindless aoe grind (without aoe cap) was actually better than Choreghast.
    Unless you're dead set on crafting every legendary, it just shows a somewhat unoriginal "hatred" for Torghast that you really only picked up from someone else because you thought it was "cool" to say Choreghast. Much like world quests, you can pretty much do it at your own leisure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Islands were mindless, but at least you could farm cosmetics and mounts

Torghast is a slog
    How did you feel about Islands in 8.0?

Doing Islands was bad until 8.2 because enemies did damage based on your max hp. After that it wasn't that bad

Islands > Torghast > Mage Tower imo.

But I am playing more casual now, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I dunno, I think Islands were more accessible to more skill levels and was more relevant longer. Torghast you just get a lego and never touch again, and MT was just for a cosmetic and was way hader than Islands or Torghast ever were. But that's my experience with it. I hear some specs had easy MTs, but I guess I'm being more general here.

Maybe some people like that MT is just one and done and hated that Islands were infinitely replayable, but I liked having the option of something quick I could always do if I felt like it. Torghast I just didn't find fun but I could at least enjoy Islands, personally.

Torghast utterly failed at keeping me interested in sending Blizzard money.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Lighter View Post
    Who is second place to mage tower for solo content?
    IEs. At least you could run those and mindlessly AoE everything down, and be done in 10-15 minutes. Snoreghast takes 4 or 5x as long, depending on your gear and RNG anima powers. Maybe longer if you are a priest
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Torghast. It's a distant second to mage tower but islands were miserable

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    How did you feel about Islands in 8.0?
    An optional side activity with some fun rewards
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

PVP Islands, then Torghast. Regular Islands were... meh

I am not a huge fan of any grinding content, but its funny how some youtubers/streamers want us to hate Torghast. They act like if everyone hates it... but its obvious thats not the case.

its a weird comparison imo. id rather compare torghast to visions of n'zoth.
    im gonna rank them by a combination of fun, challange, longevity and rewards.

1. visions
    2. torghast
    3. mage tower
    4. islands

islands was a braindead boring aoe grindfest from day 1 with zero challange or fun, trash rewards and it was like 10 mins of awful gameplay per week.
    mage tower was a fun challenge, but it didnt even last a week for me to complete it in all 3 specs. it gave a cool transmog sure, but nothing else.
    torghast twisting corridors was harder than mage towers for me. but only because of bad anima power rng. it gives better rewards than mage tower and islands. it has a weekly grind that lasts longer and is more fun and challanging than islands, but thats not saying much!
    visions is about the same as torghast in terms of fun, challenge and longevity and it gave better rewards imo. but once we had cloak rank 15 and the titan power proc, it became too easy. we didnt have to git gud, we just had to wait for the time gate to make it piss easy.

some of you may like islands more because it has a ton of transmogs and mounts to farm. but i honestly dont a flying fuck about that when it doesnt have some sort of prestige tied to it. "wauw you have all island mounts and transmogs? congratz youre really good at doing thousands of hours of braindead easy boring rng content".
    mage tower transmog had prestige for a couple of months, but by the end of the expac everyone with a pulse could do it. so now its just a mark of "look at me i played legion".
    in terms of rewards, the thing that drives me the most, is player power.
    imagine if torghast twisting corridors layer 8 gave gear rewards equal to m+15, both with end of layer reward and vault reward. the difficulty may have to be a little harder to justify that. but i would be all over that shit.

the real challenge for blizz is to make something that is fun, challenging and rewarding even after we done it 100s times, without it feeling like a chore.. i think its possible to make such content that would fit ME perfectly, but making such content that would fit everyone? that may be impossible.

1 major issue with torghast, is that its the only source of soul ash (besides the mission table that gives a little bit).
    currencies thats only obtainable from one type of content has always bothered me.
    Last edited by mojusk; 2021-03-27 at 07:43 AM.

Of all 3, Torghast is number 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Islands at least have huge loot. Torghast all in all is useless

Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    islands was a braindead boring aoe grindfest from day 1 with zero challange or fun, trash rewards and it was like 10 mins of awful gameplay per week.
    That could have been said only by people not knowing how to make it fun.

While i still preferred visions to the point i ended up doing them on 5 masks without any sanity booster/potions/food or other buffs with 2 classes.
    Islands with A.T.O.M.I.K were both challenging and EXTREMELY fun. Was really hard to find people who didn't fail this strat.

Btw it was sub 5 minutes if done right, not 10 minutes. 10 minutes was slog with bad party. If only blizzard cared enough to make better buffs from vendor it would be ultimately better than tower.

Torghast? Good idea, but execution was so damn horrible I made Layer 8 (not TC) it once without any anima powers whatsoever, and it was still kinda boring.

Mage tower? Pretty good, done 36 for all classes within 11 days, shame it was one time.

Overall ranking:

Visions
    Tower
    Islands
    Torghast but properly done

rather quit the game

Torghast in its current form.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Islands in 8.3 were decent fun (and a bit in 8.2 already, but 8.3 was what completed them). There were like 100 different rewards to get and it kept it fun to do. Mount drop rate was nerfed to a realistic level. Mythic difficulty was tuned down so you could actually do it fairly quickly with a geared character. It's a shame that by 8.3 the stigma was already too big and most people just gave up on Islands by then. I genuinely enjoyed the hundreds of islands I did around the end of BfA to get all the mounts and pets. But yes, 8.3 and especally before 8.2 islands were a pretty miserable experience.

Torghast is cool, it's just not replayable. Or rather, it is replayable for a couple times, and then it gets stale. Plus there's no long term reason to do it, which seems to be the running theme of this expansion. Things just end. I'd like a bit more collectibles to get from it. Maybe a random drop rate 1/100 mount that you can get from all layer 8 final bosses or something. Just to give you that additional incentive to farm it.

As far as pure gameplay goes, Torghast is better for sure. You can do a lot of crazy things and get overpowered abilities. Plus it's solo so you don't have to depend on grouping with other people, which is always a huge plus.

As far as reward structure - islands were much better. But we'll see, we're only in the 9.0, hopefully they do more with it.

PS. This is coming from someone who did about 1000 islands in BfA and completed everything available in Torghast except for Phanciful or whatever the last achievement is called.

PS2. I don;t consider Mage Tower the same type of content. It was a one time encounter. Pretty fun but that wasn't a piece of repeatable content in any way. It's not fair to compare those.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-03-27 at 07:46 AM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Torghast utterly failed at keeping me interested in sending Blizzard money.
    That was never its intent so thanks for your input?

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    That could have been said only by people not knowing how to make it fun.
    wanna share how you made it fun?

EDIT: i meant 10 mins to get the weekly cap, i did it with guildies and we pulled half the island and nuked it all within a few secs. im sorry but its just not what i find fun or challenging. fast and easy sure.
    Last edited by mojusk; 2021-03-27 at 08:31 AM.

Mage Tower is overrated imo. Yeah it was fun to get the skin but there was 0 repeat value. I enjoyed it but I honestly enjoyed both islands and torghast more.

torghast visions islands maws and other sh1t shouldnt be required to play competitive
    if u did max lvl of any of them, it should prove u put enough effort to unlock certain things and you should go on

I quitted SL like 1.5 month after season started, logging every day to do maw, torghast, daily quests (callings for best conduit, they said its not essential, but at the end of the day it was more than emissaries, because from emisaries u could get equivalent of item, from callings u get conduits that u just can;t loot normaly for example doing pvp), playing game shouldnt be like a second job
    in older expansions (before legion) i wasnt forced to do so much casual stuff to play a game in my manner

but its a win win for them, player like me probably would quit anyway, many sheeps continue their advanture because they have goals and rewards

and now i cant even buy gametime for 1 month to check if its worth coming back without sharing my credit card info