Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I'm sure they're going to retcon a lot of stuff from Shadowlands just because a) it made no sense or b) didn't fit into the story and makes future storytelling confusing or impossible.

Shadowlands is WoD 2.0 lore-wise. A lot of stuff that doesn't concern anyone except the Shadowlands itself (although it's said the Jailer is coming for reality - who the f* cares).

If they're going to retcon any major storylines, it'll be the ones from Shadowlands.

And this thread is so funny, there are exactly two guys who like the Jailer, one who is literally fanboying hard for the Jailer and the other one is loving everything about recent WoW lore and is praising how great WoW lore is at this point, telling anyone who dares to say how shitty WoW lore has become that it's indeed the best it's ever been (which is absolutely hilarious).
    “A lot of the lore doesn’t affect anyone here except the Shadowlands”

What the fuck are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. Sure, 4.3 was awful, but as a villain he was great. Better than any endboss after him. He was constantly present, the Twilight dragonflight stuff was amazing and he was just an intimidating, omnipresent villain. The Jailer... don't get me started.
    Except much of the Twilights Hammer simply served N’Zoth and were only serving Deathwing as a means to an end, Ragnaros is essentially akin to Denathrius but more generic, and Deathwing ended up just being a goon that most of the time didn’t do shit till the final raid, where even then, he was still flying around like a dingus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Deathwing I would say was more interesting because he:
    A: Attacked areas we cared about and had a history with.
    B. Was a constant presence in questing, not quite on the level of WotLK Arthas, but also not completely absent.
    C. Was a known presence, even if not as well known in WoW itself.
    D. Interesting design. It isnt often we see a giant molten magma dragon held together by metal plates fused to his flesh, whereas humanoids with weird skin are a dime a dozen in WoW.
    I wanna say the Jailer we’re facing isn’t what his true power looks like. He looks beaten, broken, etc. If he were to acquire a true form, it should come after the SoD Raid.

Also, Deathwing was present in questing, but so was the Banished Ones influence, though the Banished One was less direct imo. My only argument is that Deathwing destroyed the zones we cared about, while the Jailer fucked over the SL zones through some type of means...but we don’t care about the SL zones as much as we do the classic Zones.

My issue is that Deathwing didn’t continue this shit. It was all just prepatch BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Also, we knew who he was. He had a presence in games and lore since Warcraft 2, so there was anticipation for his return.

Like N'zoth who may have been a disappointment, but had years of buildup.

You either have buildup like Arthas, N'zoth, Sargeras, Deathwing or Elidibus or character like Denathrius, Darth Malgus or Emet-Selch.
    Or cringe like the Jailer
    WC2 Deathwing was a bitch though. Imagine losing to Khadgar lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    You're comparing an entire race to one character, that's a false equivalency. The two major Void elf characters are way more psychologically complex than the Jailer. Magister Umbric was introduced at the end of Legion but is very nuanced.

The Jailer doesn't even have a character aside from "OMG BOUNDLESS REALITY INVADER!!"
    No one in WoW is true boundless yet, so you’d be wrong anyway. Elder Scrolls is true boundless and mid tiers and destroy most of WoW. WoW still 1 shots Final Fantasy however.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why are you comparing Void Elves to the Jailer? It’d be more fair to compare them to Sylvanas or Devos.

The Jailer and the Void Lords are a rightful comparison here. And unlike the Void Lords, the Jailer at least is getting fleshed out.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a silly argument because you can still be complex while being an "asspull" (every fictional story was pulled out of someone's ass by the way), the Jailer is just a plot device with no ulterior purpose but to permit a Sylvanas redemption story.

It's easy to fit into the story when they retcon half of the established lore for you.
    Outside of slight alterations, what did the Jailers existence retcon? Your little fantasy that the Void Lords were the prime evil? Cause they’re merely forces of nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Speaking of Denathrius, I do wonder what they're going to do with him since they changed their minds about killing him off.

I also still wonder just who wrote those commands to the other Dreadlords because it wasn't Denathrius (since it mentions him). Tichondrius I guess? We fight him in the Nighthold but he would've revived after that, since we hadn't gone to Argus yet and done all that stuff.
    He’ll be a filler boss for 9.2.

Absolutely. Sure, 4.3 was awful, but as a villain he was great. Better than any endboss after him. He was constantly present, the Twilight dragonflight stuff was amazing and he was just an intimidating, omnipresent villain. The Jailer... don't get me started.
    Yeah I agree. Deathwing felt like a real threat, that with him flying all over the globe in the cinematic and pre-patch. Meanwhile the Janitor can't even leave his bathroom at Torghast.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Yeah I agree. Deathwing felt like a real threat, that with him flying all over the globe in the cinematic and pre-patch. Meanwhile the Janitor can't even leave his bathroom at Torghast.
    He can leave Torghast no problem at this point, it's the Maw itself he's bound to.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    He can leave Torghast no problem at this point, it's the Maw itself he's bound to.
    It’s like Varodoc didn’t even play the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    “A lot of the lore doesn’t affect anyone here except the Shadowlands”

What the fuck are you talking about?
    Nobody cares what's happening there. It seems to be compeltely irrelevant. The Covenants are fighting each other while the Jailer is going on, how much of a threat can he be? Or are the Covenants just completely idiotic?

That Blizzard says it matters for everybody doesn't mean you feel that. And you basically feel nothing in that regard. The threat isn't real.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Looks like there's Sylvanus testing on Thursday.

Nobody cares what's happening there. It seems to be compeltely irrelevant. The Covenants are fighting each other while the Jailer is going on, how much of a threat can he be? Or are the Covenants just completely idiotic?

That Blizzard says it matters for everybody doesn't mean you feel that. And you basically feel nothing in that regard. The threat isn't real.
    I agree, no matter how big the Janitor's explosions are or how high his "OMG BOUNDLESS LETS GOOOO!!!!" power level is, the Janitor will never feel threatening. He's pretty much a filler villain like the Iron Horde.

In fact right now 99% of the people don't care about the Jailer, they care about Sylvanas' fate. Let's be real.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account

And yet he's seen, quite literally in the intro experience of Shadowlands, being outside of Torghast throwing Baine off a cliff and taunting the players at the waystone.

If you are going to troll everybody with snarkiness and disingenuous responses, try to at least pretend to have some semblance of honesty behind it.

This comes off as a byproduct of not everything happening being optimally represented in-game. A long the same lines in 'Legion' where the story was the entire planet was being invaded by the Burning Legion ("largest Legion invasion ever") yet all we saw was it happening on the Broken Isles.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-05-25 at 10:12 PM.

What? He was only present in the revised questing of old content and towards the very end in the endtime dungeons. Before that he was completely absent for max level characters and all the actual plot was driven by rando twilight hammer rubes that somehow managed to outwit every faction. The only known capacities were cho'gall and nef. The firelands story was a complete sidetrack to deal with some nelf lore before we then did some time travel stuff to get rid of DW, who was never involved in any of the schemes during the expansion. In fact the twilight hammer used him like a rabid dog and as we've learned his ultimate purpose was to end up impaled on top of wyrmrest temple.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    Shadowlands was released seven months ago..... still no date 9.1 and they need to present new expansion this year. They're in deep ass
    Why would they move things along when their tokenfarming scheme is going so well in the current meta? It's low cost high reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    Shadowlands was released seven months ago..... still no date 9.1 and they need to present new expansion this year. They're in deep ass
    6 months ago to be exact.

Sylvanas testing in 2 days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Looks like there's Sylvanus testing on Thursday.
    Sylvanas testing in 2 days

3 days before this coming Sunday will be Sylvanas testing.

So, we now know why the Jailer got imprisoned...

He saw the Sigils as keys for the Sepulcher and tried to take them.

That’s...shit we already knew. So, the Jailer’s a douchebag. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by what we know...

The new raid is supposedly gonna end with The Heroes Vs Sylvanas and the Eternal Ones with their new Sigils Vs the Jailer and the old Sigils

Even with the new sigils and the Primus backing us up, I don’t think it’ll be enough.

So, we now know why the Jailer got imprisoned...

He saw the Sigils as keys for the Sepulcher and tried to take them.

That’s...shit we already knew. So, the Jailer’s a douchebag. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by what we know...

The new raid is supposedly gonna end with The Heroes Vs Sylvanas and the Eternal Ones with their new Sigils Vs the Jailer and the old Sigils

Even with the new sigils and the Primus backing us up, I don’t think it’ll be enough.
    This is such a garbage non-answer... Expected nothing less from Blizzard. How about the writers tell me what he wanted the sigils for, at the very least?
    No? I have to wait 3 months to find out? Okay.

So if the eternal ones were all given sigils for their covenants does that mean the jailer has one??

Does the arbiter have his sigil??

- - - Updated - - -

Well we finally get sylvanas testing
    We get multiple mythic bosses
    The third wing

Mid June release seems more likely

Are those sigils really that special when they can nearly instantly be remade?

Quote Originally Posted by rainhard View Post
    Are those sigils really that special when they can nearly instantly be remade?
    Yeah, that's pretty pathetic honestly. I thought the sigils would act as one of a kind artifacts each Eternal One held in order to keep the Jailer in the Maw and unlock the Sepulcher.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    This is such a garbage non-answer... Expected nothing less from Blizzard. How about the writers tell me what he wanted the sigils for, at the very least?
    No? I have to wait 3 months to find out? Okay.
    Man, one of the worst takes in this thread so far.

"Why do they not tell me everything about the story now!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    How about the writers tell me what he wanted the sigils for, at the very least?
    Erm, they did.

The sigils open the way to the Sepulcher.
    He wants them to get there so he can juice up on whatever power that place has.

Formerly known as Arafal