Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I use Windows 10 - I am very pleased with all the functionality and design.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Lulz. You most certainly did if you ever installed a single Win 7 service pack. The telemetry stuff was added in SP1. And you had to click the EULA to install it. And you cant disable it, unlike in 10. (Unless you want to pay for or steal software like SPybot Anti-Beacon that will do it for you).

So, yeah. Not sure what fantasy world you live in. (I mean, its one where Windows 10 somehow behaves like a "tablet OS" even though it behaves exactly like 7).

Also, i have no idea what you're on about with a "non desktop interface".

Win 10 works exactly the same as 7. I have icons. On my desktop. I click them.

Windows (or applications) open.

The file system looks and behaves identically.

Control Panel is still there to be used if you are too stupid to understand the new settings panel.

Luddites like you amuse me.
    There are different kinds of telemetry. There is usage telemetry in any kind of software today. Even drivers. Only way to get rid of it - to use Linux. But there are other kinds of telemetry, I definitely don't have in Windows 7. Because Windows 7 just doesn't have such functionality. That's, why I couldn't agree with such EULAs. It's some mobile crap, like voice assistance (we can't even uninstall), handwriting, positioning, ad ids, etc.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-06-16 at 09:40 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

I only upgraded 3 weeks ago when I got a new pc, I use 10 at work and its a pain.
    I have to run a cmd command just to pick what pictures I want on my desktop background (sounds silly but I like to change slideshow pics a lot). Apart form that though its not been too bad so far, although things have been moved for no apparent reason so I generally just have to search for everything I want to use

Windows 10 is hot garbage unless you run a few scripts to remove the hot garbage and clean it up. I actually love it now.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

I'm still on Arch Linux...

People that have trouble adapting to change and have no idea what they're missing

AKA, this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    They're slowly but surely chipping away at that. The "System" panel in Control Panel is gone in the current build. It's still there, but goes to the Win10 Settings section instead of the old Win7 System panel.
    Yeah, I read about that, but I also read a way to re-enable it - the CLSID for it is still embedded deep within Windows, so it's possible to restore it by creating a shortcut with a specially-crafted target. I haven't had this issue since I can still access Control Panel (presumably the update which disabled it either hasn't made it to public channel yet, or I skipped it at some point).

Uhhh... no you dont. I haven't bought a new copy of Windows since i swapped to 10. Since it isn't an OEM copy, and is registered to my Microsoft account, i can move it to whatever computer i want. Only limitation is it can only be active on one machine at a time. I actually have 3 keys tied to my MS account, and i can move those keys around however i want.
    Yep - this change was brought it some time ago, which means that you skip providing the key during setup, and it'll use your hardware identifiers, and your MS Account info to pull the key from online. Pretty smart system, and one that I can tolerate more than having to remember where I kept my key, or finding ways around it. You can still get very cheap keys from certain places, though I won't discuss that further here.

I still have Win 7 as well and honestly no reason to upgrade. Sure, maybe it's a little slower, but everything is fast enough for me. Also having control over when to upgrade and when not is a huge win for me.
    As long as it works and as long as you don't have any sensible data saved on your PC, Win 7 should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    There are several tools that help you protect against cookie fishing. That disables every tracking "feature". It also is possible to disable Cortana. Win10 is very powerful when it comes to auto updates. When you done all things to prevent win 10 sending data to Ms win 10 is very good. Get pro version of it if you want to use native screen mirror mode, which seems pretty decent.

If you are worried about your privacy that much, i recommend switching to linux.
    Last edited by froschhure; 2021-06-16 at 10:37 AM.
    love WoWarcraft

I.e. you just can't agree to "send voice samples to improve voice assistance service", if you OS doesn't even have voice assistance functionality. May be 7 has telemetry, but it's 100% anonymous, as 7 doesn't have M$ account functionality. And it's not annoying. It's not used to "show ads on your start menu/taskbar". Therefore I agree to use Win under such conditions. But if M$ won't get rid of this crap at least in paid version of Windows, my next step will be - moving to Linux Mint Mate. All basic features are the same. Browser, media player, etc. And using all other software - is just matter of habits. I already try to use portable opensource software only. This will make migration to Linux much easier. There are just three categories of software, that make me stay on Windows now: 1) Professional software, I need to work (there is Linux analogue, but it needs to be improved a little bit") 2) Office software, because everything in internet is in M$ Office format and usually brakes in LibreOffice 3) Games. Many of them support Linux. Many of them run under Wine. It was big problem in old times, but today modern AAA projects, like Wow, are so spoiled, that they aren't even worth playing - some indy games are 100500 times better.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakaryy View Post
    ???
    It's literally just windows 10, it's not an iPhone where your hand is FORCED to have bloatware.
    Holy shit the irony.

Or did you just confuse Windows with Linux?..
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Still on 8.1 so worst of both worlds but I'm not upgrading until they do away with forced restarts for updates on normal licenses.
    Not buying a server license for my home machine to not have it restart overnight or while out for lunch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loutzi View Post
    I haven't bought a windows license since Windows 98... Not sure what you're talking about..
    Because you dont doesnt mean people dont.

Most people (maybe not gamer, and unfortually we are on a gamer forum lol) buy DELL/HP/ACER/WHATEVER laptop or PC, with OEM version of Windows, and Microsoft receive money.

I understand gamers likes to build their PC and use the same Windows KEY forever... (I guess you don't sell/use your old PC)... this is a low percentage of the market.

If you think Microsoft is not making money with Windows, You are Wrong.
    Last edited by reemi; 2021-06-16 at 11:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From someone that moved directly from WinXP to Win10, i'm actually happy with the change. The few experiences i had with Win8 were so bad that i didn't even thought in moving to it. Eventually i found i had to move forward, and Win10 ended being an easy move, just like a real OS should be, Win10 is intuitive, unlike Win8.

For those saying that Win10 causes more blue screens, the experience i have tell me that only happens because failling hardware, i literelly had a dying mobo causing me blue screens, they all disapeared when i switched it.

Also, you can run Win10 with old core2duos, and it actually runs well, yes, i tested it myself.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Windows 10 is more prone to bluescreen crashes and occassionally fails to complete big updates and thus does a rollback. But sometimes the rollback messes up as well. If unlucky you can f*ck up your install this way. I have had this happen on multiple computers and it only happens on Windows 10. One machine even failed to run an update for over a year, constantly failling on 60% installed and rolling back over and over again.

Windows 7 never had this problem. It was simply more stable.
    And yet, I've had the opposite from you. Out of 6 computers i've recently built/supported over last 2 years, not had one issue with windows 10. Windows 7 I had to restart once every few days or it went real fucky and slow for some reason, on several computers. I can leave Windows 10 on for weeks on end with no memory issues or slowdowns. Infact, my server running Win 10 Pro had been on for 9 months constantly with not one issue. I only turned it off at end of last year becuase we stopped playing the game I had the server set up for.

Everyone has different experiances with same software. It ran shit for you, yet perfectly fine for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SkyTides View Post
    I have to run a cmd command just to pick what pictures I want on my desktop background (sounds silly but I like to change slideshow pics a lot).
    Umm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    And yet, I've had the opposite from you. Out of 6 computers i've recently built/supported over last 2 years, not had one issue with windows 10. Windows 7 I had to restart once every few days or it went real fucky and slow for some reason, on several computers. I can leave Windows 10 on for weeks on end with no memory issues or slowdowns. Infact, my server running Win 10 Pro had been on for 9 months constantly with not one issue. I only turned it off at end of last year becuase we stopped playing the game I had the server set up for.

Everyone has different experiances with same software. It ran shit for you, yet perfectly fine for me.
    Just to add my anecdote here:
    I've only had 1 problem on Win10, and it wasn't win10's fault. It was a graphics driver problem that manifested after I DDU'd and installed drivers after upgrading GPU. Problem survived a full reinstall of win10 and only went away when I DDU'd again.

Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Just HOW stupid is that? I've seen no need to change, to be totally honest, and my friend complained about 10 for ages because it was bloated with all this needless crap. It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff. Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?
    then you're a fool. you realize that it has 0 updates therefore you are not protected against anything right now right? your friends are all just wrong about windows 10. its really not that buggy at all and probably the best windows to date. if you dont have an SSD though, then get one before you upgrade and clone your current system to it. its a free upgrade to windows 10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Windows 10 is more prone to bluescreen crashes and occassionally fails to complete big updates and thus does a rollback. But sometimes the rollback messes up as well. If unlucky you can f*ck up your install this way. I have had this happen on multiple computers and it only happens on Windows 10. One machine even failed to run an update for over a year, constantly failling on 60% installed and rolling back over and over again.

Windows 7 never had this problem. It was simply more stable.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it has less bugs and doesn't crash as often as Windows 10. It was simply better.
    sounds more like you didnt know what you were doing. i work in IT and upgraded over 200 systems from windows 7 to 10 and the only issue i experienced was a bug with logitech's driver for a device sticking on boot. thats it

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    maybe wait a few months for windows 11 or whatever its called (10x) xD
    Windows 11 isn't happening, 10 is the final OS for the foreseeable future. They rebuilt it from the ground up so that it could be updated forever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Just HOW stupid is that? I've seen no need to change, to be totally honest, and my friend complained about 10 for ages because it was bloated with all this needless crap. It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff. Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?
    Windows 10 is just fine now plus you can get Classic Shell which makes it laid out exactly like older versions of windows. That being said if you're a gamer there will be games and there are already games that require Windows 10 and it's going to eventually be that every new game will require Windows 10 in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Windows 11 isn't happening, 10 is the final OS for the foreseeable future. They rebuilt it from the ground up so that it could be updated forever.
    Be it 10-2 or 11, but Microsoft has announced an event that they will talk about the next Windows, that is not based on Windows 10 as they want to phase out a lot legacy stuff that makes ARM a struggle on Windows atm.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Fairly stupid.

So your friends anecdotal issues that can be entirely traced to his not understanding how to check actual benchmarks and stuff convinced you to stay on a less secure, less efficient, slower OS? Cool story.

Win 10 has been faster on the same hardware since day 1. It is LESS bloated than 10. All that telemetry that people complained about in Win 10? Win 7 collects ALL OF THAT TOO, except you CANT SHUT IT OFF, in Win 10 you can disable it all in just a few clicks.

What tiles? Windows 10 is not Windows 8. The only "tiles" are in the Start Menu and you can shut those off with two clicks.

It was never messy. In fact, the main draw of 10 over 8 was that it was much more streamlined and like 7, rolling back all the weird hybrid tablet ideas (which can still be enabled on Win 10 tablets but are off by default).

And as for it "just working" - yeah, there are lots of things that dont. The ass-backwards DX12 implementation on 7 is only half-featured. DXR, etc, dont work. No ray tracing. No DLSS. Terrible software scheduler (meaning it will make garbage use of multiple cores compared to Win 10), etc, etc etc.

Anyone telling you otherwise is either lying and/or so stupid they were incapable of shutting off the very few annoying features with a handful of clicks.

And anyone expecting Windows 11 to be a big departure from 10 needs a serious wakeup call.

Microsoft is treating Windows like Apple treats OSX/MacOS. Its just incremental upgrades from here on out kids.

Quit being a luddite.
    All of this, plus Windows 7 end of life was 1 1/2 years ago, so the OP is now being exposed to security issues that will never be fixed.