Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Faction war = racism? Why it's still allowed?

I'm not sure, if Wow is only game, that has faction-based PVP, not "team vs team" one. But at least, it's only game I know. But don't you think, that it's bad, when PVP-based story in game teaches players (including children, who are easier to be influenced) to hate other players, just because "You're orc and he is human"? It's real humans, who sit behind other faction's character. Same, as me. Why should I hate them? Doesn't it lead to virtual racism, that can turn into real one then? Why it's still allowed?

I always hated PVP-retaled stuff in this game exactly because it makes me hate other players for virtual reasons and I don't want to hate anybody.

And I just think, that it looks weird and sounds like hypocrisy, when some people say, that they're against racism, but at the same play or make racist game.

P.S. I'm personally PVE player, who plays both Alliance and Horde. So, I'm not racist. It's game, that tries to push racist stuff (especially in PVP-based xpack, like MOP and BFA) on me and I hate it.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-07-15 at 04:46 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Doesn't it lead to virtual racism, that can turn into real one then?
    No, of course not. Does playing GTA or Manhunt lead to becoming a murderer?
    Why it's still allowed?
    Because it's a video game.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    But at least, it's only game I know. But don't you think, that it's bad, when PVP-based story in game teaches players (including children, who are easier to be influenced) to hate other players, just because "You're orc and he is human"?
    WoW is rated T for teen, meaning only people aged 14 and up should be playing the game. If children are exposed to the game's more mature content, that's on their neglectful parents, not the game

I'm not sure, if Wow is only game, that has faction-based PVP, not "team vs team" one. But at least, it's only game I know. But don't you think, that it's bad, when PVP-based story in game teaches players (including children, who are easier to be influenced) to hate other players, just because "You're orc and he is human"? Doesn't it lead to virtual racism, that can turn into real one then? Why it's still allowed?

No

Wow I thought this was going to be another "orcs resemble black people in appearance so it's racist" thread to raise eyebrows at, and instead you come at me with "virtual racism" over fictional races.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the option not to PVP at all.

Just like in real life, countries and nations are at ends with each other based on where the other lives or what they believe.
    Racism exists, WOW doesn't try to deny this - but it does show that we do the best work when we work together, despite our differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    No, of course not. Does playing GTA or Manhunt lead to becoming a murderer?

Because it's a video game.
    Doom has taught me to manhandle my demons.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

If video games influence you to that extent, then by all means, you might wanna find a new hobby. The vast - vast - majority of players can tell the difference between fiction and reality though.

Why it's still allowed?
    It's allowed because we generally assume that the average player is intelligent enough to be capable of separating Fantasy from Reality. Sadly, you make a fairly compelling case that the threshold for that average is likely not high enough.......

Why is violence even allowed in the game? Ever since the release of vanilla wow, we have seen roaming bands of horde BG players going around and killing people on the streets. WoW really need to stop the players from hurting other people, animals and things in the game. Virtual violence turns into violence. Why it's still allowed?

The vast majority of wars throughout history can be boiled down to an "us vs. them" mentality. Tribalism is a product of evolution. The best survival strategy was to band together with others and form a tribe, so that's what people did. However inevitably your tribe would run into another tribe and if resources were scarce the tribes would fight.

I've always hated the repeat story telling WoW recycles that faction X leader hates faction Y 'cause faction Y has people of the Z race.

I don't know that it would cause anyone IRL to become racist, but just like I would think anyone IRL who hates another solely due to their race, I think it is dumb when they do that in the story of the game.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure, if Wow is only game, that has faction-based PVP, not "team vs team" one. But at least, it's only game I know. But don't you think, that it's bad, when PVP-based story in game teaches players (including children, who are easier to be influenced) to hate other players, just because "You're orc and he is human"? It's real humans, who sit behind other faction's character. Same, as me. Why should I hate them? Doesn't it lead to virtual racism, that can turn into real one then? Why it's still allowed?

I always hated PVP-retaled stuff in this game exactly because it makes me hate other players for virtual reasons and I don't want to hate anybody.

And I just think, that it looks weird and sounds like hypocrisy, when some people say, that they're against racism, but at the same play or make racist game.
    If you are becoming racist because of a video game, I'm pretty sure you were always racist and just trying to find an excuse.
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I'm really not sure where this sort of perspective comes from. Just because something is bad does not mean it should be cleansed from media and fiction. Should depictions of murder be removed from games and movies? What about robbery?

..you know I've played 3 games that depicted rape

never raped once never had a desire to do so

so its a you thing

7+ Year Old Account
    Racism is fun. Specially against Void Elves and Gnomes
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think your on to something when ever I see a goblin walking down the street I have an uncontrollable erg to gank it and hell dwarven slurs clearly It’s wows fault.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

3+ Year Old Account
    the first three expansions had faction wars yet the racism is only shown mostly on the Alliance against anything that doesn't look like a human; other than the Blood Elves.

no racism is found in the Argent Dawn and the racism in the Kirin Tor is just the Alliance High Elves and the Blood Elves
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    The vast majority of wars throughout history can be boiled down to an "us vs. them" mentality. Tribalism is a product of evolution. The best survival strategy was to band together with others and form a tribe, so that's what people did. However inevitably your tribe would run into another tribe and if resources were scarce the tribes would fight.
    True, but also to note, very few of those "tribal wars" had anything to do with race. Most had different "tribes" from the same race killing each other. WW 1 was mostly Caucasians killing Caucasians for example.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    In adition to simple "no", it's kind of stupid that other species are still refered to as "races" in fantasy. Humans and elves and dwarves aren't "races", they should be species.