10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Honestly, with the amount of fuss made about C19, I don't understand why govt shy away from mandatory inoculation. *shrug*
    Is it a serious problem now or isn't it? Apparently not serious enough.
    "If climate change is a serious problem then how come governments are shying away from measures to fight it".

Same answer. Because government is not always perfectly rational, especially ones with constituents affected by high degrees of misinformation.

Moreover, it's not a matter of freedom of choice for the same reason smoking in enclosed areas is not freedom of choice - the choice impacts people besides yourself. Vaccination is not a private health issue.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-15 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Moreover, it's not a matter of freedom of choice for the same reason smoking in enclosed areas is not freedom of choice
    Yet give people the choice and they will happily smoke you to death in enclosed spaces.
    My point exactly: if you want people to behave responsibly, you have to force them. You cannot trust their judgment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet give people the choice and they will happily smoke you to death in enclosed spaces.
    My point exactly: if you want people to behave responsibly, you have to force them. You cannot trust their judgment.
    Okay?

I fail to see how this supports your perpetual attempts at downplaying COVID.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/KyleHoranNC5/sta...12917068050434

In addition to being fired, the former head of Tennessee's vaccine efforts was apparently sent a muzzle by someone. Anti-vaxxers are increasingly appearing to act with outward hostility towards medical professionals.
    It should come as no surprise the republican party and right wing media are fully endorsing and spreading their beliefs. It's still mind blowing that the GOP has managed to turn a health issue into something something FREEDUM, FAKE NEWS, DEMONCRATS. I very much doubt we will ever get to herd immunity as a country, red states are going to continue to be hot spots.

oh lol, netherlands doing super bad against covid .. Again... what a suprise ./s

Specially with a 180 degrees goverment... (Dansen met Janssen - a Govermental Ad to increase chances of youth taking vaccines.. .misinforming the younger people that one can go out after one jab with Janssen.. on the same day)

I find the goverment to fail alot fighting this. Then again, Dutch population doesn't make this easy either. Never expected to hate my own countrymen that much when they go, ''YOLO I WANT ME FREEDOM YOLO''.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...a48c2d1c69daec

I am going to die laughing if the lab leak is confirmed to be true

I recall a bunch of people being oh so certain about it being false and calling anyone that believed otherwise crackpots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Ha ha, it's so funny because millions of people are dead but at least we can get cheap potshots in at China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still you fail to understand my point:
    We (as in the govt) give people the option to say "No". In doing so, we communicate "this situation isn't bad enough to force the vaccine on people". Which then gets interpreted by some "ok, apparently it's not a problem if I say no.".

You are peddling a double standard here: you want "democracy" and "freedom of choice" yet you diss and belittle people for actually making the choice, because in your eyes, it is the wrong choice.

Sorry, buddy, but things don't work that way in real life. If the situation is dire, you need to force people. You do not give them a choice. Lamenting on about a "death cult" doesn't help either.
    Choices can have consequences. You just make sure those consequences are impactful.

Take the issue of vaccinating children. There's a simple solution. You want your kid to attend school? Present your proof of vaccinations. You don't have that? Then your kid is not attending school. And you're still obliged, as their parent, to have them educated. You can choose between quitting your job to stay home and home-school them full-time, finding a private school without a vaccine mandate (good frickin' luck, if they're standard in public schools), or paying out the nose for private tutors. Or having your kids taken from you because you don't get them educated, which means you're criminally neglectful and abusive and have no business having children in the first place. They'll be better off with foster parents who don't give much of a shit but at least get them vaccinated.

The only exceptions will be kids who have doctor confirmations that they're ineligible for vaccination for medical reasons (compromised immune system or the like). No religious objections or such allowed.

There. You've got a "choice". It isn't "forced". But you're still gonna end up complying.

Ha ha, it's so funny because millions of people are dead but at least we can get cheap potshots in at China.
    So what? Can't laugh at China's lies? And it would not hurt for China to be humiliated a bit - it might prevent exactly such shit as millions dead in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

There are still a number of reasons that make it unlikely - especially the idea that it was modified in any way.

The more important question is why is WHO talking about it? One obvious possibility is that they want China to allow the other investigations (to find the zoonotic origin) - and believe that even if China aren't too eager about that they clearly don't want to be blamed for a lab-leak, and thus might open up to other investigations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Choices can have consequences. You just make sure those consequences are impactful.

Take the issue of vaccinating children. There's a simple solution. You want your kid to attend school? Present your proof of vaccinations. You don't have that? Then your kid is not attending school. And you're still obliged, as their parent, to have them educated. You can choose between quitting your job to stay home and home-school them full-time, finding a private school without a vaccine mandate (good frickin' luck, if they're standard in public schools), or paying out the nose for private tutors. Or having your kids taken from you because you don't get them educated, which means you're criminally neglectful and abusive and have no business having children in the first place. They'll be better off with foster parents who don't give much of a shit but at least get them vaccinated.

The only exceptions will be kids who have doctor confirmations that they're ineligible for vaccination for medical reasons (compromised immune system or the like). No religious objections or such allowed.

There. You've got a "choice". It isn't "forced". But you're still gonna end up complying.
    That's a terribly stupid idea, as you will have anti-vaxxers home-"schooling" their children, especially as there's nothing indicating that it was the children that made the bad choice - so you would be depriving innocent children of a decent education.

Requiring proof of vaccination or recent covid-test for travel etc is a simple idea for most cases.

10+ Year Old Account

I recall a bunch of people being oh so certain about it being false and calling anyone that believed otherwise crackpots.
    I recall a few people who were oh so certain that COVID was either man-made, or intentionally released on the public, or both, and being called crackpots because of it.

And let's be clear, here. The evidence points to this being a natural virus, not man-made. And there's a distinct lack of evidence to suggest that this was a lab accident, either. While it's not categorically impossible, it's still unlikely. Anyone who, even at this point, attempts to state with authority that this must be the case is still a crackpot for saying so in the absence of proof.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So what? Can't laugh at China's lies?
    No. Sorry that the fact multiple governments mishandling a pandemic to the tune of millions of deaths being poor fodder for jokes is inconvenient to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That's a terribly stupid idea, as you will have anti-vaxxers home-"schooling" their children
    Speaking of things that need to be banned.

so you would be depriving innocent children of a decent education.
    Uh huh. Now do the kids who have legitimate medical reasons for nonvaccination being unable to attend school because of the personal choices of a few idiotic parents who spend too much time on Facebook.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-15 at 09:30 PM.

For what it's worth:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/catch-del...145352439.html

Title: You can catch the Delta variant when fully vaccinated, but symptoms will likely be mild or non-existent, data suggests

Excerpts:

tldr:

Infections among vaccinated people have been reported more often with the rise of the Delta variant.

However, data suggests that these infections are milder than in unvaccinated people.

The shots are holding up well at their main job - preventing hospitalization and death.
    Fully vaccinated people are susceptible to the virus.

"There are reports coming in that vaccinated populations have cases of infection, particularly with the Delta variant...The majority of these are mild or asymptomatic infections," said World Health Organization chief scientist Dr. Soumya Swaminathan at a press briefing on Monday.
    In the US, the number of vaccinated people that die from the virus is about (number of deaths from the virus) / 200. I believe that would put it at about 1 fully vaccinated person per day.

As of early July, 99.5% of COVID-19 deaths in the US were in unvaccinated people, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) director Dr. Rochelle Walensky.
    Despite being a well vaccinated country, cases in England are rising quite a bit.

Cases of COVID-19 have risen sharply in the UK, with an average of about 35,000 new daily cases reported on July 14. It is a fifteen-fold increase from two months prior.
    The number of fully vaccinated people that die from the virus is not zero.

That being said, the risk of death after vaccination is not zero. The UK has reported 50 deaths caused by the Delta variant among fully vaccinated people.
    So this is the latest article I found about this, and it fully supports what was stated here earlier. Fully vaccinated people will be mostly ok. A few fully vaccinated people will be hospitalized, and even fewer will die. Un-vaccinated people could be in a very bad place in a very short time.

No. Sorry that the fact multiple governments mishandling a pandemic to the tune of millions of deaths being poor fodder for jokes is inconvenient to you.
    Try to be less sensitive. Ability to laugh about everything (and specifically about leaderships of countries in this case, no matter how much you try to make this about the dead people) is one of human skills to keep us sane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account

Thousands protest against COVID-19 vaccination, Athens, Greece.

I'm so ashamed of my country. Like holy shit, just look at them. They're no hope for them, they're fucking sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post

I'm so ashamed of my country. Like holy shit, just look at them. They're no hope for them, they're fucking sick.
    Your post is about Greece and not the US, but this sums up in a few pictures why I feel pretty sure that the virus will be about as bad as last year - maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. Maybe a LOT more as there are still lots of un-vaccinated Americans that take pride in not wearing a mask and not social distancing.

10+ Year Old Account

> "Vaccines are unnatural"
    > Half the crowd has bleached or dyed hair

Someone should tell these folks' yiayias that their grandkids are making public spectacle of themselves. Lul.

10+ Year Old Account

I just can't help imagining what the world would be like if all the people who are too stupid to keep themselves safe, let alone keep themselves from endangering others, would just, like... disappear in a snap.

I swear, the longer this shit goes on, the more sympathetic I feel towards Thanos.

And, yes, I hate that I'm starting to feel that way.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I just can't help imagining what the world would be like if all the people who are too stupid to keep themselves safe, let alone keep themselves from endangering others, would just, like... disappear in a snap.

I swear, the longer this shit goes on, the more sympathetic I feel towards Thanos.

And, yes, I hate that I'm starting to feel that way.
    I might just join you if it gets to 20-30 years from now and idiot parents start having COVID parties for their kids like they did with chicken pox.

> "Vaccines are unnatural"
    I bet they're wearing clothes with synthetic fibers. They probably even have phones!