Poll: Do you like the Shadowlands story?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Warcraft lore/writing never been A1 but in the pass it was tolerable enough to keep people hooked enough but now all I see is

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you somewhat, the problem is blizz stop caring about it fan community a long time ago, they don't look at us for anything, if anything they just know that we will spend money on shiny shit....quantity won out over quality a long time ago. Now we just left with faith and hope that they will tell a good story or add a long wanted feature to the game.
    My friend, the problem is that this collective "we" doesn't exist. What you value in a story isn't necessarily what I would value in a story, nor is it what any number of other people would value either. There is very rarely any consensus on anything from what I can tell. The only thing that people seem to agree on is that they don't like it. But when you try to follow-up this negativity with pointed questions, the answers are so incredibly varied that it's impossible for anybody to provide action on. I'll give you that the developers have done little to assuage the community with their stubborn refusal to make obvious quality of life changes but I think people have a tendency to exaggerate how bad things are in an attempt to garner sympathy from other people with similar opinions.

WoW has never had amazing writing (slightly above young adult fiction tbh on a good day to be honest). But linking an asmongold video instantly invalidates your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Is it worse than GoT S8 though?
    Likely yes, since they've already jumped the shark past the "bell ringing" moment. They already invalidated a big, bad, looming threat with a barely inconvenient action.
    Like, if you wanted to see S8 GoT done worse, just look at WoW's story for the past two expansion. It's so over the place, largely incoherent on a month to month basis, let alone year to year. The excuse of recontext or reframing past events with new story to try and cover up obvious retcons, because dealing with consequences requires work. I mean that is basically the pitfall of the writing team. They want to sell cake, don't have money to buy a cake and are too lazy to bake a cake. So they've taken crap they found outside, and are trying to push it off as cake, and then become irrationally hurt, when we tell them it isn't cake, it's crap.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

WoW has ALWAYS had kindle-only fanfic level writing. Why anyone wastes their time paying attention to it compared to the hundreds of amazing fantasy sagas out there I cannot imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The plot is hot garbage, obviously, but not the worst ever, it's hard to unseat BFA and in terms of pure writing incompetence on all fronts TBC still towers over the competition with ease. This is however despite, not because of journos saying it. Game journalists are among the most incompetent motherfuckers on God's green earth and chiefly in their field because they can't even cut it as a political pundit, which says volumes given how low the standards for those are. You, as a consumer, as with most posters here know in more depth why the plot is so terrible than any journalist purely by virtue of consuming it and then bitching about it here rather than bandwagon hopping upon seeing a low rating.
    Yeah but you know how it is, the current expansion is always the worst ever then after we move on it's looked upon more fondly. (Except WoD...just boooooo lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    WoW has never had amazing writing (slightly above young adult fiction tbh on a good day to be honest). But linking an asmongold video instantly invalidates your opinion.
    Quoted for truth.

There's a lot of middle ground between good and hot garbage. WoW sits somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    snip
    The only thing WoW does reasonably well is group content, the story in WoW is not great anyway and most dont care about it, the story is the same regardless of the expansion, player has to keep gaining power and allies then defeats a powerful enemy and then rinse and repeat.

Simple fact is you dont play WoW for the story, you play it because there is not many other options and it does the most popular content slightly better than other games.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-08-02 at 12:08 AM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    They should have made her goal more noble and made her attempt to explain and sell it to everyone before going rogue, then there would be much less "why the f are you doing, what is this shit" moments all these years - you'd know the motive. Then they could go with 9.1 as is, minus soul cleaving BS with her realizing she fucked up on her own without the soul shit. Then they could have made her try to unfuck it and people would be less cringe about it.
    How would you have gone with this direction (like how would Sylvanas' goal be portrayed as "noble")? I'm genuinely curious.

the main problem (and maybe even reason because it was so successfull) is that there too many narrative archetypes in it. from various spectrum of fantasy in the alliance to the multiple souls of the horde. they mostly cant coexists and the setting is so old that the people playing it arent anymore teenager and cant bear anymore that simplicity... now the focus seems being anduin and the boring fantasy he represent, maybe that is enough exotic for the asian market, but here is clearly failing...
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Na, Shadowlands is still better than TBC, Cata, WoD and BFA lorewise. The main plot regarding Tyrande, Anduin, Sylvanas and the Jailer is really bad but the rest is pretty OK by Warcraft standards.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD at least gave us Gul'dan who was a great villain.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krek01 View Post
    How would you have gone with this direction (like how would Sylvanas' goal be portrayed as "noble")? I'm genuinely curious.
    They should have provided hints about what the Jailor was up to, and how was Sylvanas caught between two masters, trying to deceive both at the same time. Kind of what happened with Illidan during TFT, when he was ordered to shatter the Frozen Throne by KJ, but went hiding on Outland because he failed (thanks to nelfs intervening, ironically). But that was made impossible after the monumental heap of hot bullcrap that was the wAr oF Th0rNz.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    They should have provided hints about what the Jailor was up to, and how was Sylvanas caught between two masters, trying to deceive both at the same time. Kind of what happened with Illidan during TFT, when he was ordered to shatter the Frozen Throne by KJ, but went hiding on Outland because he failed (thanks to nelfs intervening, ironically). But that was made impossible after the monumental heap of hot bullcrap that was the wAr oF Th0rNz.
    Hmm... I kinda like the idea of her hinting towards a master early on, maybe make it seem like she serves N'Zoth, only for us and everyone else being proven wrong.

I also wouldn't mind having it where we don't get to see the Jailer all that often. Have him speak through agents.

Maybe even have it where each of the Covenant zone holds a piece of Zovaal's history (Bastion has him before his fall from grace, Maldraxxus has him turning on his brethren, Ardenweald has him being chained up, and Revendreth has him being freed by Denathrius).

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    if u asked me before this raid, i'd say indef or slightly interested/curious
    but after danasur waifu shooting an arrow against the jailor and he 'punishes' her with returning her spirit, i honestly can't think of worse writing, that includes wod
    Writing is bad and all your "waifu" nonsense because you clearly don't understand just like all the people who say the Jailer was uninteresting and not a threat. FYI: It wasn't even remotely a punishment because her shooting the arrow did absolutely nothing. He was still rewarding her for her help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    i agree especially makes me cringe when there's threads on the official forums saying how wonderful and great BFA was.
    It's almost as if people have different tastes. Some people will find BFA amazing, others will find Shadowlands, or Wrath of the Lich King. Not sure why you are "cringing" or "disappointed" when people express different tastes of what they like. It's like reading a book, watching a tv show or a movie. Some people will find it amazing while others will find it not that great.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything will be the "worst ever" if that is the popular stance.

writers do a bad job? Yes

is it all the writers fault? do not

the people in the highest positions of blizzard tell them what to do

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    I can't imagine being so petty as to hate Asmongold so much that anyone who has an opinion tangential or similar to his are immediately invalidated by proxy.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cigawoot View Post
    The story is fine, idk why people are getting so upset. WoW's storytelling hasn't been the greatest, and that's fine imo.

It's like going to Casa Bonita for the food.
    how dare People play an RPG for the Story

7+ Year Old Account
    Bfa and shadowlands will always be the worst expansions regard lore and writing.

The thing i feel it was bad in TBC was main plot, which at least can be ignored, the rest, the zones, factions it was still good to me. I enjoyed by example, doing quests in nagrand and Hellfire, it was simpler and more grounded. Kicking illidan butt in the final raid to me was also fine.

Shadowlands and Bfa are just hot garbage, they damaged wow lore beyond repair with shit storylines that nobody wanted to see, they ruined and killed characters, they ruined the races and factions characterization, alliance have a warchief and the horde is a council like the alliance, vol'jin and saurfang murdered to further Sylvanus plot like she is wow protagonist, when the game was not supposed to have "main heroes" or protagonists like that.

To me is clear that Danuser and his crew despise and hate previous lore, they don't have respect for what was done, so they want to change wow lore to fit their view and apparently fever dream. They will retcon, they will make a 180° to characters and more.

But their heads are so deep in their butts they can't realize people are not liking what they like

BFA was basically "we can do a better story than mop, Sylvanus will be better than Garrosh!!1!", the Janitor is a Lich "but better""

- - - Updated - - -

Also, im rly gladly those sites are actually are finaly saying blizz are writing shit and majority of the playerbase are not liking it. Seems like with the recent "events" they are losing their fear, maybe if enough people talk it will reach the twitter bubble, that is the only place where Danouser get feedback