Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'd normally have gone out to see Suicide Squad in theaters (and Black Widow, for that matter). I didn't, because of the pandemic. I'm fully vaccinated, but I'm not sitting in a germpit for two hours with a hundred or so randos, regardless.
    My local theatre is requiring spacing between seats. Like three or four empty seats for every filled seat. Every available seat was taken when I went. I literally bought the last available seat. So capacity is only 20-25% of normal. The theatre also uses wider reclining chairs with deeper rows, so people aren’t packed in like sardines to begin with. You can recline those chairs into a bed if you wanted and people can still walk by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/

I mean, looking at this list, it's pretty damning for whatever you consider as any kind of 'new metric' for what should and should not be a success. How can any metric spin this as Suicide Squad and Free Guy being successful at all?

Granted all these numbers are muddled without accounting for streaming services, it's still going to be an uphill battle for any movie to be considered a success off theatrical release alone. This is just an odd timing for it all, and I really hope it doesn't have repercussions for the IP's involved.
    Normally it’s bad but this isn’t normal times. I’m hoping it’s still a success. I like going to the theatre. Black Widow was a weaker movie but I still regret watching it at home. Glad I made the effort to see SS in the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Sure, Covid is a situation...but theaters are already starting to fill up. I went to see The Suicide Squad tonight...and the theater wasn't packed...but it was pretty busy considering it's already into it's second week.

I'm just saying that him being relatively unknown isn't going to be the thing that causes Shang-Chi to fail. It's a MCU film. People will go see it just because of that.
    I wonder what the "new normal" for movies is going to be. I do think it'll rebound more than it is, obviously, but once you break folks of the habit or theaters for a couple years, it may shift in a more permanent way. Also, for the "It's a MCU film", I wonder how much Endgame reset that clock as well. I doubt many average movie goers cared about the metaplot at the end of the day, but the ending of the arc did sort of let people gloss over the uh... weaker... MCU movies in the bundle. I'm sure Thor and Ironman are very findly remembered, vs after say, IM2 or Thor2.

If they try to push Shang Chi, it'll probably fit in the Doctor Strange/ Cap Marvel sort of tier, where they're important in a way, but not focused on. Or maybe more of the AntMan tier, where they're pretty involved but not really important/ powerful in a central way. Dunno, I think the MCU has a lot of room, but Marvel also has a LOT of characters, so I'm not sure what the criteria are for a successful launch, or if it all comes down to what characters the producers like.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Normally it’s bad but this isn’t normal times. I’m hoping it’s still a success. I like going to the theatre. Black Widow was a weaker movie but I still regret watching it at home. Glad I made the effort to see SS in the theatre.
    Normally it's bad, and 'in current times' it's still bad when you consider GvK, Fast9 and Black Widow all still fared decently in the box office. There's no real good way to spin the poor box office attendance for Suicide Squad.

As I said, will wait and see how Shang Chi performs. I definitely think Shang Chi could be a very good movie, and first impressions say it may be the best comic movie this year. That being said, those impressions also applied to Suicide Squad, and we can see the box office numbers tell a vastly different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The point is about the TV characters coming onto the MCU, except for Iron Fist, which performed poorly and was not well received. I was simply making an example of how they are seemingly brushing Iron Fist under the rug while the others are coming into the MCU.

The Perlmutter/Feige thing has nothing to do with my point, since I'm talking about the MCU under Feige and which properties are being brought in, and which ones seeming are not.
    except it does because the only ones who are so far having any sort of hint at being included are the 3 main favorites among mcu fans
    daredevil and kingpin
    punisher
    quake

and this doesnt even take into account HOW these characters are being integrated, how much of the netflix shows and aos are going to be made canon?
    it could very well be a jamie fox scenario where fiege really likes the actor, likes the idea that actor could potentially portray.
    but i very much doubt jamie fox electro is going to be all that much like the garfield version of him even if they share some tangential winks

its kind of like when perlmutter kept pushing to try and kill the x-men and some people were "nah no way theyre still making tons of wolverine merch" well yeah because wolverine is their 2nd most popular character behind spider-man and they still love money
    disney killed off the star wars ecu but characters like thrawn still get baked into the lore because a lot of people love thrawn and hes one of the actual good things from the star wars ecu but no one would ever claim the star wars ecu is canonical or being folded in wholesale

if people love something enough chances are it will find its way back into the main universe. another example is miles morales. his whole universe got destroyed but they pulled him through because people love miles morales

fiege is going to cherry pick what he likes and whats popular and keep it.
    if for some reason shang chi does badly somehow (very much doubt it) we will most likely just have a gotg situation where gotg2 if it had performed poorly wouldve had the hulk added to it and be mixed with the planet hulk storyline

when gotg was a smashing succes they pivoted and decided to do a similar plotline to boost the thor series which many considered until 3 to be the weakest of the marvel solo series and thor 2 in particular usually near the very bottom of mcu movies basically propped up by loki fangirls at the time.

captain marvel sells tons of merch, she's all over the place the people that try to say shes been poorly recieved somehow just dont match the numbers

i agree they kind of fucked over her role in endgame but i also kinda see WHY they did that. at the time the film was made it was seeming pretty likely that the only avengers left over were going to be hulk and hawkeye. and hulk can probably sell a movie but hawkeye? thats a tougher sell, now weve got hemsworth staying on for who knows how long since his character has seen a revitalization not only in reception but in the writing itself now that they have people like taiki who get the character and isnt as constrained under the early mcu which had not only perlmutter but the dreaded now-defunct Marvel Creative Committee who were a fucking nightmare to deal with as a creative.

would you really wanna sacrifice screentime to your biggest characters leaving when captain marvel still has plenty of contract to go on and can help bolster the avengers now that all of their most popular characters are gone? hell even spider-man was up in the air for a while about being in the mcu

the russos choosing to give the classics a last hurrah knowing captain marvel was already popular and had plenty of screentime left just makes sense.
    she shows up enough to look flashy and cool and remind people that not everybodies going away that there are new characters still to come and honestly i think that made endgame a better movie

could you imagine if they just used endgame, the finale to the entire arc of the mcu so far to just prop up newbies? endgame is already one of the longest mcu movies.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

That being said, those impressions also applied to Suicide Squad, and we can see the box office numbers tell a vastly different story.
    I think its a mistake to look at week one to week two box numbers as metric for the quality of a movie. I think it’s quite possible what is happening is that everyone who wants to see a given film and is willing to actually see it in the theater goes opening weekend. After that pretty much everyone willing to see the movie in the theater has done so, this week two numbers collapse.

Ten Rings and the Eternals may very well take the same route. The difference being idiots like The Quartering and that kind of ilk, will bang the drum of how theses movies were PC forced feed crap, or how Asian focuses movies won’t sell in America and hurt the franchise.

I definitely want to see Ten Rings, I definitely still won’t go see it in the theater. I can wait 45 days to see pretty much any Disney film. Streaming is changing the nature of the box office, it’s not that bad week two box office numbers mean a movie is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I wonder what the "new normal" for movies is going to be. I do think it'll rebound more than it is, obviously, but once you break folks of the habit or theaters for a couple years, it may shift in a more permanent.
    I don’t think it’s fair to compare BW And Suicide Squad. Seeing BW at home was, what, like $8 for Disney already and another $20? Seeing Suicide Squad? $14? I think having SS come with the service versus an additional fee also hurt it. As cheap as Disney is, I know a lot of people that have it, so that cost is there. HBO? Hell I share that with family, and if I didn’t, I would have found a friends’s I could use for ~2 hours one afternoon.

I think the model is eventually going to be the Disney model: slight tack on to the price, like you were buying the (overpriced) vudu rights or something. WB won’t take a bath too many times before they get wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    except it does because the only ones who are so far having any sort of hint at being included are the 3 main favorites among mcu fans
    daredevil and kingpin
    punisher
    quake
    Also Jessica Jones, rumored to return in Armor Wars (War Machine spinoff)

and this doesnt even take into account HOW these characters are being integrated, how much of the netflix shows and aos are going to be made canon?
    I'm not quite sure if you're addressing something I've said or just making a general statement. I don't think it's really that important how they are integrated, more than people will simply be happy that they are. I mean the whole multiverse gates are open now, and even without multiverse it could be as simple as these characters having always existed in the universe though they have to be re-integrated into canon just like Star Wars Legends material like Thrawn being reintroduced in new canon.

its kind of like when perlmutter kept pushing to
    But my point isn't about whatever Perlmutter chose to do, or his conflicts with Feige. It's purely on how the future of certain characters will play out, and what the creators have planned for them.

And no, it's not all based on financial successes. It's also based on creative direction.

My comparison to Captain Marvel were specifically to the character in context, not the movie and her popularity or performance. It was about how Marvel treated her character cinematically, and having her be hyped up only to play a (what I consider) bit role in End Game. And I was expressing how I hope Shang Chi would not be treated the same way.

7+ Year Old Account
    Also, some toys apparently leaked that Tobey spider will be on the movie as well

MCU adaption of Brand New Day, that takes some balls.

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Is it just me or does that look like a lot of unfinished CGI?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You can tell the cgi quality from a 240p recording of a phone? Weird. I’m not judging any of that until later today when it actually gets released at cinemacon.
    Check the parts around 2:07 and especially at 2:19-2:23. Maybe they're going for a really stylized look that will make sense in full resolution, but it very much looks like unfinished CGI.

It’s a low res video. Judging the cgi quality based on it is silly. Also, the second part appears to be animation ala What If?…
    It's clearly unfinished untextured greyscale cgi, I don't know why you're trying to be such a contrarian about this.

It’s a low res video. Judging the cgi quality based on it is silly. Also, the second part appears to be animation ala What If?…
    That's nowhere near the quality of What If...?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    It's clearly unfinished untextured greyscale cgi, I don't know why you're trying to be such a contrarian about this.
    Thank you!

It's unfinished CGI leaked by a VFX Producer it seems. Confirms some leaks from Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    It's unfinished CGI leaked by a VFX Producer it seems. Confirms some leaks from Reddit.
    That's some serious level of retardation to leak a Disney product while working on it, if that guy is caught, he's on for one hell of a ride

The person who shared the footage(as per the watermark) is a woman. The person who leaked it online was likely either someone she shared it with or someone they shared it with. She’s worked on multiple Disney films and I doubt she’d leak it online herself.
    She gonna be in big trouble.

For sure. Sharing it with ANYONE is a nono. Sharing it with someone who re-records and posts it is worse. Especially when they let people get their first taste in 240p. With any luck the full res trailer will release after Sony’s Cinemacon presentation later today.
    Honestly Sony should just release it online as well, regardless of the original Cinemacon only intentions.

Otherwise the shitty version will be the one that's viewed more often, and that's just silly.

It's the first Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 3 (got screwed there) that I'm actually excited about.

Let’s be real, with Shang Chi arriving in a couple weeks I’d be shocked if they don’t have an actually finished trailer ready to go.
    Agreed. I would expect the plot for the film to fully leak in the next few months anyway.

Shang Chi and Eternals has already leaked and been verified. One thing I've always noticed about Marvel films is the plot never justifies the film.

The films are always way more entertaining as hell, since they propel simple plots into really satisfying experiences by and large.

Barring Captain Marvel and Thor 2. Those two were just straight up snoozers.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2021-08-23 at 02:00 PM.