Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What If .. I'd Still Be Playing SWTOR

We all recall the pre launch time when people where very clear: Give us WoW in space.

I don't know what that meant to you, but to me it was Classic WoW in a Star Wars Universe.

Right out of the gate (launch) it was clear that is not what BioWare was going to give us. The game engine couldn't handle Ilum (been a while if I misspelled it) and mass PvP had to be scraped. The world was closer to a BioWare map than an open world feeling you get from WoW. BioWare games have walls/mountains to the left and right and funnel the player through the map, and SWG had that to some degree. I always felt like a mouse in a maze when playing SWG.

Voice over was way too thick and made alt life miserable .. Party groups seemed to always have that one guy who wants to listen to the voice over for the hundredth time. Again, that is not WoW in space.

If another Star Wars is to be attempted, please keep it simple and make it feel like a massive universe .. Don't reinvent the wheel and just give us WoW Classic in space.

/thx
    Last edited by Cempa; 2021-08-20 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    We all recall the pre launch time when people where very clear: Give us WoW in space.

I don't know what that meant to you, but to me it was Classic WoW in a Star Wars Universe.

Right out of the gate (launch) it was clear that is not what BioWare was going to give us. The game engine couldn't handle Ilum (been a while if I misspelled it) and mass PvP had to be scraped. The world was closer to a BioWare map than an open world feeling you get from WoW. BioWare games have walls/mountains to the left and right and funnel the player through the map, and SWG had that to some degree. I always felt like a mouse in a maze when playing SWG.

Voice over was way too thick and made alt life miserable .. Party groups seemed to always have that one guy who wants to listen to the voice over for the hundredth time. Again, that is not WoW in space.

If another Star Wars is to be attempted, please keep it simple and make it feel like a massive universe .. Don't reinvent the wheel and just give us WoW Classic in space.

/thx
    Nope. Story was great, story telling was great. Classes were great.
    If you want wow in space, play wow.

I don't think you remember old "Star Wars Galaxies" which wasn't WOW Classic in space as it was more "What everyone thinks wow classic was" in space

Old Galaxies there WAS combat but it really wasn't the focus. The Economy was player made, gear was all player made,CITIES were player made, there were a TON of classes that could be mixed and matched, If you were a bounty hunter you're job was ACTUALLY bounty hunting IE people could hire you to fuck with another player, 2 factions and the option to be neutral, Space Flight and you can level as that, you could be an entertainer and literally level up dancing at a bar (that was usually owned by another player), if you were a smuggled you were actually you know SMUGGLING, merchants was a feasible class, etc etc

Reality you wanted Old Star Wars Galaxys before they decided they had to compete with wow and that whole jedi thing literally ruining the game.

SWTOR is still incredible to this day. WE don't need WoW Classic in space.

They getting a new Xpack and are seperating stories from classes. Example: You choose if you want to play the Sith Inquisitor or Sith Warirrior story, but you can play it as a Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer, Assassin.

They will also prune abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Nope. Story was great, story telling was great. Classes were great.
    If you want wow in space, play wow.
    To you .. Not to the majority .. Numbers don't lie!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alithia View Post
    They getting a new Xpack and are seperating stories from classes. Example: You choose if you want to play the Sith Inquisitor or Sith Warirrior story, but you can play it as a Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer, Assassin.

They will also prune abilities.
    Ability prune is much needed indeed.

Nope to the majority story was great, story telling was great, and classes were great.
    The people who want a mmo with an horrible story, a catastrophic story telling and soporific classes are good on classic.

i still play it simply for the class stories lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

do you have a consensus about why the numbers dropped??
    could it be because of the monetization??
    the lack of meaningful endgame content for the majority of the game??

no it must be because it was promised as "wow in space" which it wasnt but the community wanted it to be that when in reality the only game with that promise was wildstar

The story was great, the classes were fine.
    What killed the game at launch was a lack of fun end-game content (the raid was cleared to quickly even by 'normal' players and it simply wasnt fun to return to week after week) and animation locks in PvP so you stood there twirling your lightsabre while some assassin unstealthed in your back and 2 shot you.

The story you seem to complain about is the only reason the game did as well as it did and still exists to this day.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I'm a founder, played since it came out, and at no point did anyone ever who wasn't an idiot say they wanted WoW in space, why the fuck would a STAR WARS game be like WoW? think about it, give your a head a shake and realize how stupid that sounds.

Swtor had a rough start because of servers and lack of content. It's still the top story/Single player MMO ever made, even FFXIV's story isn't as good. Swtor had 8 class specific stories all voice acted and every expansion is story driven with voice acting. Now more then ever players crave single player content, players online are trash it's why LFR in wow does so good because people can solo que and not have to socialize.
    Swtor suffered from what original FFXIV did, it had a shit start, FFXIV recovered by luck sheer luck and yoship. Swtor decided to keep going and i'm glad they did, it's an amazing game to go play when you want some solid story in a star wars universe and not have to worry about grinding borrowed power for 2 years. Grind games are so 2004, WoW is the only MMO that's technically dying based off number decline, swtor grew, ffxiv grew. Does swtor have as many players? no and i'm glad it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it's dead. WoW has lost 45% of it's subs, that's the very definition of a game decaying.

You are wrong and using insults might actually get you into trouble on the forums. I've been active since development and BioWare themselves said it more than once: 'We hear you, wow in a star wars universe.'

It's rough start was because 'starting area' was so fun but the rest couldn't handle the numbers/performance due to the game engine they chose. PvP response of character is so slow .. Mass PvP 40 vs 40 or more is impossible. And then some maps are BioWare walled and horrible. Story is laid way too thick and voice over everything is a terrible idea. They killed the alt experience. Last but not least blatant P2win ..

You are wrong and using insults might actually get you into trouble on the forums. I've been active since development and BioWare themselves said it more than once: 'We hear you, wow in a star wars universe.'

It's rough start was because 'starting area' was so fun but the rest couldn't handle the numbers/performance due to the game engine they chose. PvP response of character is so slow .. Mass PvP 40 vs 40 or more is impossible. And then some maps are BioWare walled and horrible. Story is laid way too thick and voice over everything is a terrible idea. They killed the alt experience. Last but not least blatant P2win ..
    The P2W part didn't happen until almost a year after it launched, after it had already "failed" because it launched as a subscription MMO so the P2W stuff didn't happen until it went P2P.

The game died because the end game was barren due to the devs focusing so heavily on the story and voice acting etc, they thought it would take players months to hit max level and start the end game....it took most players a couple weeks, at most. THAT'S why it failed, because after such a stellar leveling and story experience, the end game was practically non-existent.

when in a bloody hell have they EVER said that? because the only thing i remember them saying on that is - hey, this is KOTOR 3 you've all been begging for. and as post above me pointed out, ptw was not a thing at launch.

their actual problem was that they expected players to spend months leveling to max level and they didn't realize that they needed to have end game ready to go at launch, they though they had time. voice acted everything was one of the major selling points.

that was not the game for wow players, that was MMO specifically for bioware fans with all the usual trappings of a bioware game... but with other people around.

and to add more, game going ftp did not at all kill it. KOTET killed it. between removal of weekly passes and galactic command system making it very clear that you HAD to subscribe to participate in end game. while simultaneously all but invalidating said end game by hiding gear behind galactic command only. they have eventually added gear back into operations, but it was too late by that point. that they keep on doubling down on various iterations of galactic command system is not really helping either.

and there was that time, more then once when they had bugs that allowed people to exploit vendor sell back system to flood economy with millions and millions of credits, completely destroying any semblance of balance, and it took bioware weeks to patch that bug and most of that gold was traded so many times, they could track it properly to remove it, and so it remained in game. economy STILL hasn't recovered and its not going to, since they just added a bunch of dailies to help those who didn't exploit catch up on credit generation, but all it did was make hyperinflation even worse. and there are pretty much no continuous credit sinks in this game. not even companion gifts qualify.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2021-09-02 at 12:45 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    when in a bloody hell have they EVER said that? because the only thing i remember them saying on that is - hey, this is KOTOR 3 you've all been begging for. and as post above me pointed out, ptw was not a thing at launch.
    I think the closest thing was that a dev at one point said that you cannot get into the MMO market without copying WoW.
    And I can never track that down, I just hear it past around as a fact but I can't find the quote and context of it.

Even then, it isn't really saying anything about wanting WoW in Space.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

WoW classic (and modern) couldn't handle world PvP either, i don't know what makes you have that expectation.
    Actually world PvP is some of the worst, most unbalanced and most unrewarding content in mmo's and i wish people would stop selling it like something people care about, cause it's not.

SWTOR is pretty enjoyable these days. They are making technical improvements to the engine during the next year and theres a year of celebration content planned for the 10th anniversary.

I most certainly don't want WoW classic or Galaxies from it.
    What i want from SWTOR is more of it. Content support has always been the problem.
    Technical issues and bugs are being adressed with more transparancy now.

I just want... more. It's sad to me that a SWTOR expansion is reduced to one planet, one raid and one dungeons and the usual story content. Even though they touted a year of more content than usual.
    How i wish Bioware had the funding to make WoW or FFXIV sized expansions. The game would definitly grow a lot.

In short: I'd still be playing SWTOR regularly if it had more content.

Atm i play it on and off when a big patch or "expansion" comes along.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Says a WoW fan. Not a sentiment shared by the SWTOR community which consider it a dumbing down of the game.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-09-27 at 11:14 AM.

/thx
    No we didnt want WoW classic in space, why would we want an inferior game, what we got was pretty decent and many aspects were better than WoW, but SWTORs main thing it did right was the class stories, maybe the next SW MMO we get will be as open world as what star citizen is going to be but that would be a very challenging game to make.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

7+ Year Old Account
    What killed swtor was how they fucked their playerbase in onyl the first month.

they out of no where decided they would invite people in waves, not all at once, and it was not "first person to purchase gets in first" it was "we will invite people at random!" i got in day 1, after pre-ordring only a month before. one of my irl friends didnt get in till day 3...

They also scammed 99% of their playerbase.
    the game like many other mmos, came with a "free month" however, after only 3 days, they said "hey if you want access to the rest of your 27 days, you will have to either enter your credit card details and promise you will buy another month. Or go to your local walmart and buy a time card fro the game" issue is, not everyone has credit cards, and most stores didnt have the cards yet, as the game just came out.

game fucking killed itself from the second it launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

SWTOR was fun enough imo, like others have said there were quite a few issues from engine optimization to lack of endgame to policies, but the class stories and voice overs were not one of those. If the class stories werent done that well i wouldnt have leveled every class on both sides through them. I still fire it up when i get the space wizard craving.

5+ Year Old Account
    It could have been the next big thing, but they blew their chance.

I remember the massive amount of maintenece that occured. In primetime. Want to login after work and play? Not this week buddy. Were doing 5 days if maintenece starting at 7pm and finishing at 1am. Fuck you space blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro