Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

This game can probably use a purely tank class;

it already has purely dps classes (both on range and melee) and it also has an almost purely healer class; the advantage of those classes is that if someone wants to focus on a specific role then he can be confident that role will not be totally ruined in a certain class (e.g. it's approximately impossible for locks to be terrible on all their specs or for a priest to be terrible on both healing specs).

One could say they should make a 13th class or a 14th class for whatever reason (this topic's reason or another with another goal); but that's probably a bad idea because the game already has 12 classes; that might make it already overwhelming to a new player in terms of class choice.

For that reason it might be a good idea to reshuffle a current class for goals of this type; for an almost purely tanking class I believe warriors would be fitting to have 2+ tanking specs (member dk of wotlk?) maybe as a 4th spec; warrior is a quintessential tank class since vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    it already has purely dps classes (both on range and melee) and it also has an almost purely healer class; the advantage of those classes is that if someone wants to focus on a specific role then he can be confident that role will not be totally ruined in a certain class (e.g. it's approximately impossible for locks to be terrible on all their specs or for a priest to be terrible on both healing specs).

One could say they should make a 13th class or a 14th class for whatever reason (this topic's reason or another with another goal); but that's probably a bad idea because the game already has 12 classes; that might make it already overwhelming to a new player in terms of class choice.

For that reason it might be a good idea to reshuffle a current class for goals for this type; for an almost purely tanking class I believe warriors would be fitting to have 2+ tanking specs (member dk of wotlk?) maybe as a 4th spec; warrior is quintennial tank class since vanilla.
    A pure tank doesn't add much to the build, though, other than a locked-down role option for a concept people may like? I'm not agreeing with pure DPS classes either, think all classes should have at least 2 roles in the selection.

As for Death Knight, not a good example really, as all three specs could tank or DPS.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

For that reason it might be a good idea to reshuffle a current class for goals of this type; for an almost purely tanking class I believe warriors would be fitting to have 2+ tanking specs (member dk of wotlk?) maybe as a 4th spec; warrior is quintennial tank class since vanilla.
    id take them making the current tank specs actually tanky as opposed to run in hit the mobs a few times and run away. This is, of course, specific to high M+ keys and certain affixes. Almost every tank currently has way too much self healing.

Also, Gladiator spec was pretty dope I wouldn't mind, if they did a pure tank class, if something like there were implemented where they could do competitive damage (on the lower end) as well as have some degree of off tank survivability. But they would never be able to balance that and the class would either be total garbage or required for all content pushing.

For that reason it might be a good idea to reshuffle a current class for goals of this type; for an almost purely tanking class I believe warriors would be fitting to have 2+ tanking specs (member dk of wotlk?) maybe as a 4th spec; warrior is quintennial tank class since vanilla.
    What would these specs do and how would they be balanced? A lot of dps specs are unused due to comparative underperformance the situation is magnified when it comes to damage migration.

If you can have one player swap between tanking styles and they are both viable or even desired that class becomes the most powerful tank barring edge cases that require mobility. If both specs are weaker no one will take that class unless it offers some desired buff or debuff.

Never mind the pvp implications. I would argue wow already borders on to many tanks as it with pallys and wars having kites that are touching up on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    A pure tank doesn't add much to the build, though, other than a locked-down role option for a concept people may like? I'm not agreeing with pure DPS classes either, think all classes should have at least 2 roles in the selection.

As for Death Knight, not a good example really, as all three specs could tank or DPS.
    I don't see it like that at all. A lot of us want to be confident that a ranged dps or melee (rogue) or healing or tanking role will be almost guaranteed to not be terrible at our main class. For example I would feel terrible to be a monk if I must absolutely melee only because rogue is so much more powerful in that role; it's not just theory though; it is proven multiple times in practice that if a class is pure: the probability it will be terrible on that role is extremely low (most of the time it's a very rare oversight that is "fixed" within weeks).

DK is a whole topic in itself; I think whatever it was (pure tanking or not): it was too complex to develop correctly; that made people gravitate a lot towards blood because of its high hp and healing but if they do focus only on 2 tanking specs in a class that has 4 total specs (e.g. adding only 1 spec to the current warrior) then it will be easily more balanced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crix View Post
    What would these specs do and how would they be balanced? A lot of dps specs are unused due to comparative underperformance the situation is magnified when it comes to damage migration.

If you can have one player swap between tanking styles and they are both viable or even desired that class becomes the most powerful tank barring edge cases that require mobility. If both specs are weaker no one will take that class unless it offers some desired buff or debuff.

Never mind the pvp implications. I would argue wow already borders on to many tanks as it with pallys and wars having kites that are touching up on each other.
    We don't need to hypothesize; we know the dynamic of pure classes and we know the dynamic of almost-pure classes. For example priest is the only class in the game that is almost-pure at being a healer. While this will make you confident that if you want to be exclusively a healer: it will be extremely rare for both your specs to be terrible: it has not ruined the game; not everyone picks a priest (though of course I bet more people that require exclusivity at healing will pick it) and I don't see much complaining about how priest ruined the game; let alone there is also the inverse problem: druid has 4 specs: one could argue that's unfair or game-breaking if you want a class with multiple roles (since it's the only one that can do it in full) but it hasn't ruined the game either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see it like that at all. A lot of us want to be confident that a ranged dps or melee (rogue) or healing or tanking role will be almost guaranteed to not be terrible at our main class. For example I would feel terrible to be a monk if I must absolutely melee only because rogue is so much more powerful in that role; it's not just theory though; it is proven multiple times in practice that if a class is pure: the probability it will be terrible on that role is extremely low (most of the time it's a very rare oversight that is "fixed" within weeks).

DK is a whole topic in itself; I think whatever it was (pure tanking or not): it was too complex to develop correctly; that made people gravitate a lot towards blood because of its high hp and healing but if they do focus only on 2 tanking specs in a class that has 4 total specs (e.g. adding only 1 spec to the current warrior) then it will be easily more balanced.
    But now you're talking about adding another spec to a class, and this you remove the idea of a pure tank class as you were talking about. When someone says pure tank, I think 2-3 tanking selections.

And rogue, well, is a completely different topic for me, as I believe they could have a ranged spec, giving a little more selection of flavor to its else narrow selection of melee only. And mage could even be moved closer in the form of Chronomancer, or Illusionism.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

But now you're talking about adding another spec to a class, and this you remove the idea of a pure tank class as you were talking about. When someone says pure tank, I think 2-3 tanking selections.

And rogue, well, is a completely different topic for me, as I believe they could have a ranged spec, giving a little more selection of flavor to its else narrow selection of melee only. And mage could even be moved closer in the form of Chronomancer, or Illusionism.
    I guess you didn't read the OP text. 2/3rds of it was about: it's probably a bad idea to make a 13th class and that it might make more sense to use a current class and add a spec to it.

What you want is extremely more offensive to current gameplay; you want to take pure classes and ruin their purity; at least: a warrior is already a mixed class.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't need to hypothesize; we know the dynamic of pure classes and we know the dynamic of almost-pure classes. For example priest is the only class in the game that is almost-pure at being a healer. While this will make you confident that if you want to be exclusively a healer: it will be extremely rare for both your specs to be terrible: it has not ruined the game; not everyone picks a priest (though of course I bet more people that require exclusivity at healing will pick it) and I don't see much complaining about how priest ruined the game; let alone there is also the inverse problem: druid has 4 specs: one could argue that's unfair or game-breaking if you want a class with multiple roles (since it's the only one that can do it in full) but it hasn't ruined the game either.
    There have been tiers where you never brought X healer... worse tanks are even more harshly filtered due to their limited spots in higher end content and how much their kits favor specific encounters. If you want to add any tank to the game you need to give them both a style of migration unseen in the game before while not making them dominate or weaker then the others...

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you didn't read the OP text. 2/3rds of it was about: it's probably a bad idea to make a 13th class and that it might make more sense to use a current class and add a spec to it.

What you want is extremely more offensive to current gameplay; you want to take pure classes and ruin their purity; at least: a warrior is already a mixed class.
    Naw, I just mixed up some of your post as you still aimed for an 'almost purely'. I'd rather add another flavor of tanking than regenerate tanking in a class that already has an established tank setup. Offer Shaman an Earthwarden spec for tanking, this spreading the selection and nature of it, instead of all plates being deep in the tanking pool.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think its nice to have more roles per class. Tanks are always needed.

Personally I am strongly for 4th spec.
    The balance will never be there, so I think it doesnt matter.
    Even if there ever will be balance, I think gameplay and fun are more important.

More tank specs for me would be:
    Warrior: Gladiator (Pole-arm/Trident & Shield/Net(new item))
    Death Knight: Frost Tank, like it was before. Then create a shadow spec for DPS. (Or keep Frost as DPS and make a Shadow Tank)
    Hunter: Sentinel (Trident + Shield) & of course a bad ass pet that can really tank (also raids)
    Rogue: Thug Some bad-ass brawler/bouncer who uses his/her fists

Then maybe something off the grid.... cloth tanks
    Mage: Golem Mastery? There are many golems/droid-like figures. Each race could have their own shape
    Warlock: Demon Shape? Or another Demon-pet tank with shadow powers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BB8 View Post

Even if there ever will be balance, I think gameplay and fun are more important.

Death Knight: Frost Tank, like it was before. Then create a shadow spec for DPS. (Or keep Frost as DPS and make a Shadow Tank)
    Hunter: Sentinel (Trident + Shield) & of course a bad ass pet that can really tank (also raids)

Mage: Golem Mastery? There are many golems/droid-like figures. Each race could have their own shape
    I'd add Shaman: Earthwarden is a possible idea due to it almost being possible if survival wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crix View Post
    There have been tiers where you never brought X healer... worse tanks are even more harshly filtered due to their limited spots in higher end content and how much their kits favor specific encounters. If you want to add any tank to the game you need to give them both a style of migration unseen in the game before while not making them dominate or weaker then the others...
    It's not that hard and we have already lived ourselves how that works. A priest is not making people dropping the Druid class and they're often nerfing at least one of the healing specs.

So objectively and very clearly: a way they use to "ruin" a (pure-ish) class so it doesn't dominate others is to go like "sure: pick a priest if you want to be confident you'll have a good spec at healing; but: don't be surprised if you'll have to swap specs every other patch or so" (which can make people that like simpler classes: run away so that balances things).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BB8 View Post

I also liked the frost tank spec of dk; unholy was such a mess; but most of us ended up to blood because the meta at the time was to get the highest HP possible (though that didn't have to stay like that forever). I was the main tank in my favorite guild of all my time in wow so I feel that class in that era well in my memory.

I don't agree with taking pure classes and turning them unpure though; some of us want to be confident to play a certain role; e.g. I would hate to pick a rogue to be purely a melee role and then having Blizzard assuming it's good to nerf all their melee because they want to buff their tanking.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd add Shaman: Earthwarden is a possible idea due to it almost being possible if survival wasn't an issue.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Good one!
    Would be lovely to play an EarthWarden

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be down for a class with all of it's specs being a tanking spec. Hell, I wouldn't mind re-working an existing spec into a tanking spec at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I'd be down for a class with all of it's specs being a tanking spec. Hell, I wouldn't mind re-working an existing spec into a tanking spec at this point.
    An only-tanking class is a bit too much; they might need to quest with a dps spec at least. Logically it will be either something in the model of the priest (2 tanking specs + 1 dps) or even more than that. A smooth choice might be to just give 1 new spec to a "traditional tank" class like the warrior though I understand no solution can be with no friction especially since other classes may whine they want something similar or equivalent.

There are only 2 slots for tanks in a raid. As long as that is the case, we really don't need another. The role also tends to be one of the worst balanced in the game, with a couple tanks dominating m+ and raid (this patch is a nice exception, though)

I get the broad point you are making but I don't think it's that accurate. Priests have 2 specs yet only Disc is ever consistently meta in competitive content, and even then it's far from a guarantee. Holy paladins (the only healing spec for Pal) has been dominant in all content for years on end.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

I don't think adding tank specs is the solution. The reason why there are so few tanks is more in line with tanking gameplay than classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    God no. We don't need Rogues to get the hunter treatment and have a spec that has always been melee to suddenly be forcibly something its never been.
    Nah, I like my rogue just the way it is with 3 unique melee specs.

I don't see the point.

You can have a new class with a new tank spec. Isn't that better than having one class with 2 tanking specs? What you are asking for is basically more talent options/builds. There is no need for another spec for it.

I think it would be great to give every class, with the exception of the pure DPS(mage, rogue, hunter, warlock) and Druids, another spec.
    Maybe give the pures an alternate DPS spec, ranged pistol rogue, melee warlock, maybe telekinetic or time mages, give hunters a ranged trap focused spec back. Don't take anything away, just add a 4th dps option.
    Demon Hunter could get a 3rd spec, a more fel focused one
    Shamans could finally get the tank spec they've been asking for since Vanilla when they could off-tank effectively in early content.
    Warriors had a taste with Gladiator spec.
    I would love to see Monks get a ranged DPS spec focused around the jade lightning and dragon-y powers.
    Paladins could finally get a shockadin spec?
    Etc, etc...
    Last edited by Mokrath; 2021-10-18 at 09:14 PM.