10+ Year Old Account
    Played 5 hours of SMT 5 and I have a few thoughts

1. The game is really pretty. Like I'm kinda surprised this runs on the Switch. Maybe games like Sword and Shield and Monster Hunter Stories 2 have kinda ruined my faith in Switch games.

2. The game is a lot easier than SMT 4 so far, although SMT 4 is pretty infamous for having a brutal opening. It's definitely not easy and I expected to not struggle as much since it's my second SMT game, but the game is definitely tuned a little easier so far. The first boss ain't got shit on Minotaur that's for sure.

3. The vibe of the game is a lot brighter too. SMT 4 was a very dark and dreary game, but so far the vibe of SMT 5 is a lot more lighthearted both in the fact that the first area is very sunny and in the interactions you have with the demons are somewhat comical.

4. The side quests are actually pretty good so far. They have interesting or amusing storylines in some cases.

5. Not sure how I feel about the demon essences system. So far I feel like the Demon Whisper system in SMT4 was better.

Overall though the game is fantastic so far.

So how hard are the sub 4 hour speedruns on Dread for regular people?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    So it turns out if you have saves from Let Go and Sword/Shield, there's an old man and lady who give you Mew and Jerachi.

Thing is.....

IS THAT A FUCKING SHINY MEW?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    So it turns out if you have saves from Let Go and Sword/Shield, there's an old man and lady who give you Mew and Jerachi.

Thing is.....

IS THAT A FUCKING SHINY MEW?
    It shouldn't be. The Mew and Jirachi are shiny locked.

Someone tampered with your ROM before uploading it to Pirate Bay. Or you edited the save yourself.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2021-11-13 at 11:07 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Hmm, interesting. It's only mew thats shiny. Jirachi isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I just reloaded the game and now Mew is pink and not shiny... Bug lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you edited the save yourself.
    This is what happened.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

So I have been wanting to replay Breath of the Wild for a long time now, since I got the feeling that there was so much I missed the first time around. Bought the Master Mode DLC and the extra challenge certainly changes how I approach things. Mind you, Im still early in, only just arrived at Kakariko Village, but so far so good. Im using stealth a lot more than last time and using bombs and leafs to throw monsters into the water (so they drown) is a good way to preserve weapon durability.
    Also, I actually found the Koko seed vendor this time around. So you can expand your inventory?? Never knew!

Quote Originally Posted by Archpriest View Post
    So I have been wanting to replay Breath of the Wild for a long time now, since I got the feeling that there was so much I missed the first time around. Bought the Master Mode DLC and the extra challenge certainly changes how I approach things. Mind you, Im still early in, only just arrived at Kakariko Village, but so far so good. Im using stealth a lot more than last time and using bombs and leafs to throw monsters into the water (so they drown) is a good way to preserve weapon durability.
    Also, I actually found the Koko seed vendor this time around. So you can expand your inventory?? Never knew!
    I'm not sure if it was included in your DLC or not, but The Ancient Saddle horse summons item is the most valuable item in that game, imo, and should have been given to everyone at the start, lol. Get that item asap, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Archpriest View Post
    Prepare to be disappointed by bosses.
    I've had far more issues in the open world than I did with the bosses. Parrying Guardian beams becomes a must.

It's definitely more fun though.

Fun Fact: The Pop-in on OoT on the Switch is actually worse than the emulated version on the Gamecube in the Zelda collection.

Slowly progressing my 3 heart run and wanting Majora's Mask to come out. The controls are so shit with joy-cons I honestly have considered getting the N64 controller if its ever in stock.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Fun Fact: The Pop-in on OoT on the Switch is actually worse than the emulated version on the Gamecube in the Zelda collection.

Slowly progressing my 3 heart run and wanting Majora's Mask to come out. The controls are so shit with joy-cons I honestly have considered getting the N64 controller if its ever in stock.
    Did they ever change/fix the initial issues people had with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Did they ever change/fix the initial issues people had with it?
    So far no.

I am about to do the water temple so ill update with that went I get to it later or tomorrow. There is a lot of weird shiny like textures that annoy me in the game.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Prepare to be disappointed by bosses.
    I've had far more issues in the open world than I did with the bosses. Parrying Guardian beams becomes a must.

It's definitely more fun though.
    Why would you fight Guardians with anything but the parry?

Okay, fully buffed Master Sword will slice them into pieces fast enough, but using any other weapon is a waste of durability.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was wrong about smt 5 being goty, it's game of the decade so far.

A friend passed me Fire Emblem Three Houses. I played the GBA games a whole lot back then and skipped everything in between so I figured I'd reconnect with the series a bit like I did with Metroid.

I'm... not convinced so far. The actual tactical gameplay seems mostly intact, but they tacked on this Persona-style metagame where you're a teacher in a military school and seemingly more than half the gameplay is running around said school doing chores and telling NPCs what they want to hear for brownie points. They ask you to pick a House before you know the first thing about these people beyond their names, if that. I took the side of that Dimitri guy, my friend told me this has really major repercussions, that true? Is it reversible if he annoys me later on?

The writing's not convincing either so far, it's choke full of standard JRPG/Fire Emblem tropes. I suspect it's all to better deconstruct at least some of them later but I gotta say the game doesn't make a great first impression. My buddy telling me the second half is better is mostly what's kept me going to be frank.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I took the side of that Dimitri guy, my friend told me this has really major repercussions, that true? Is it reversible if he annoys me later on?
    No. There are 4 story paths in the game. The first half of the game will always play out the same in all of them just with slight cutscene differences based on your house. The second half of the game is very different based on house. You may ask why 4 paths when there are 3 houses, well one house has a branching story path but you are not that house.

Also I think you are judging the game way too quickly if you think three houses is tropey. It's the least tropey of any FE game in recent memory. It still has some but it is no where near as blatant with them as Awakening and Fates where. Most of the characters aren't even what they seem like at first glance, and the strength of 3 houses is in multiple playthroughs to see from all sides which can make you re-judge characters based on the path you're on.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-11-19 at 12:53 AM.

A friend passed me Fire Emblem Three Houses. I played the GBA games a whole lot back then and skipped everything in between so I figured I'd reconnect with the series a bit like I did with Metroid.

I'm... not convinced so far. The actual tactical gameplay seems mostly intact, but they tacked on this Persona-style metagame where you're a teacher in a military school and seemingly more than half the gameplay is running around said school doing chores and telling NPCs what they want to hear for brownie points. They ask you to pick a House before you know the first thing about these people beyond their names, if that. I took the side of that Dimitri guy, my friend told me this has really major repercussions, that true? Is it reversible if he annoys me later on?

The writing's not convincing either so far, it's choke full of standard JRPG/Fire Emblem tropes. I suspect it's all to better deconstruct at least some of them later but I gotta say the game doesn't make a great first impression. My buddy telling me the second half is better is mostly what's kept me going to be frank.
    Yeah, it's the most overrated JRPG on Switch.

10 hours into SMT V and it was definitely worth the wait. I cant wait to get my ass kicked by demi-fiend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So far no.

I am about to do the water temple so ill update with that went I get to it later or tomorrow. There is a lot of weird shiny like textures that annoy me in the game.
    That's admittedly a bit of an "Oof". Weird textures would be the most disruptive to me, but I guess if it's still the same it will stay that way.

Why would you fight Guardians with anything but the parry?

Okay, fully buffed Master Sword will slice them into pieces fast enough, but using any other weapon is a waste of durability.
    Because ancient arrows work fine too? But they're more worth holding onto in Master Mode.

Honestly if you missed all of them since the GBA you should have went for Awakening first. That was the big turnaround title for Fire Emblem that basically was their last hail mary and its success secured the future of the series.

https://www.destructoid.com/awakenin...-cancellation/

It's also the main reason why the games feel different overall though. Three Houses was great though overall, it just does take an investment a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Yeah, it's the most overrated JRPG on Switch.
    I mean, it's a strategy, not RPG, but okay.

I mean, it's a strategy, not RPG, but okay.
    If I recall, it's a "tactical JRPG".