Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenpotpie View Post
    They are a community of back stabbing snitches it isn't that nice once you get to know them.
    Not the experience I've had and I've been on the game a few months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This is dumb. Nether the dev's nore the community really has control on how people act outside the game. Anyone can say they are part of the FF14 (or any game) community then hop into discord/twitch and say some racist shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That's silly. The game has absolutely no control for what people say or do outside the game, yet you want to "award" a game something that has nothing to do with the game. The only way you can objectively rate a game's community is by how they act in game.
    Magic the Gathering Arena was also nominated for the best community. There's very little interaction with other players that takes place in the game itself, mostly just emotes, so the majority is done outside. Not only discussions on cards and such, but you can find lots of in depth discussions on almost any aspect of the game if you're interested.

There are tonnes of players creating deck lists, guides and stratergy breakdowns for all the different draft modes. Some of them are very robust and represent significant effort by the creators. Those creators are part of a video game community too in my opinion. So are the fan content creators, modders, organisers of unofficial events. All of this takes place outside of the game but has a direct impact on the players inside of the game. This is true of all games, not just MtGA. One of the other nominated games, Dreams, is almost entirely user generated content!

And I think all of that should be summed up when looking at a gaming community as a whole. FF14 included. It's community is also more than the people in game, it's the people posting artwork of their characters on Reddit, the people creating opener guides and boss fight walkthroughs. It's content by the players for the players and to ignore it because it's not happening in Limsa and Squenix have no say in it is very dismissive of those players in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Perhaps they are, but it's disengenuous to presume that a lack of open hostility is the same thing as being nice.
    There's more than enough people that are openly and genuinely nice. That there are a few people who stew in silence does not negate all of the people willing to dump money, gear, and help on new players as they want. That's the entire reason FFXIV won this award. There's an overwhelming portion of the community that are openly positive and helpful.

The none-verbal part can be the problem. You don't know if the healer who ressed you for the 20th time is fuming in silence while they're talking about you on Discord with their Friends, or if they're cool with it and don't want to point it out to make you a target.

In a real life setting you've got far more information to work with when people aren't talking to you. In game players tend to fill in the gaps with their own throughts and feelings at the time. Your avatar can only be minimally expressive afterall which makes them a blank canvas for other people to project onto. That can make you come across as passive aggressive to others even when you're not intending to do so.
    They can stew in silence if they want. They can crap in discord to their friends if they want. As long as that does not bleed out into the game, what's the issue?
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-12-01 at 02:59 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

It's so weird that people legitimately pretend the community in one MMORPG is ever different than another. It's literally the same kind of people who play these different games. I mean, just getting on FF XIV and WoW at the same time, you see the exact same topics and hostility come up in both games over the course of a day. What leans toward one game one day leans toward the other the next day.

Having played both games since basically the beginning of them, I've certainly seen a lot more issues from the FF XIV community, especially over the last year or so. But I also know this is my personal experience and objectively, they're both the same and couldn't possibly be different.

People really care one way or the other about this? Huh.. interesting. I guess people need something to bicker over. It isn't that big of a stretch to see reward shows not having that big of an impact. I didn't even know what the reward was for or by who. So no shade to FF or WoW or whoever else is throwing their hat into the ring of "well I saw this one time and was so upset so it cannot be right" conversation. But seriously.. who cares.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    It's so weird that people legitimately pretend the community in one MMORPG is ever different than another.
    It's kinda monkaS when people try to act like they're the same.

But I also know this is my personal experience
    and objectively,
    "Personal experience"
    "Objectively"

Found the issue.

Also find it funny that whenever I log into WoW, people are dumping on FFXIV. It's like non stop. These people sit in WoW doing absolutely nothing but shitting on FF. They hate it so much they can't stop thinking about it or talking about it.

The most toxicity I've seen in FF recently was a few days ago someone came in and started spamming major cities with how much FFXIV sucks. The best part was the only reply they got was "If it sucks then why are you here?". Like they just gave zero shits that some guy was so mad that he made an account just to shit on the game.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-12-01 at 09:04 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Also find it funny that whenever I log into WoW, people are dumping on FFXIV. It's like non stop. These people sit in WoW doing absolutely nothing but shitting on FF. They hate it so much they can't stop thinking about it or talking about it.
    Dude, the WoW forums and Reddit has been BARRAGED by FF14 shills for half a year now. Even on the ff14 subreddit you often see shots taken at WoW. WoW lives rent free in the mind of ff14 players. The fanboys are so blind I've seen people try to argue that ARR or Gaius are examples of a good story/character. Rofl.
    Last edited by florclorbromiod; 2021-12-01 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by florclorbromiod View Post
    Dude, the WoW forums and Reddit has been BARRAGED by FF14 shills for half a year now. Even on the ff14 subreddit you often see shots taken at WoW. WoW lives rent free in the mind of ff14 players. The fanboys are so blind I've seen people try to argue that ARR or Gaius are examples of a good story/character. Rofl.
    They aren't. Yet Gaius still seemingly towers over WoW's narrative anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    It's so weird that people legitimately pretend the community in one MMORPG is ever different than another. It's literally the same kind of people who play these different games. I mean, just getting on FF XIV and WoW at the same time, you see the exact same topics and hostility come up in both games over the course of a day. What leans toward one game one day leans toward the other the next day.

Having played both games since basically the beginning of them, I've certainly seen a lot more issues from the FF XIV community, especially over the last year or so. But I also know this is my personal experience and objectively, they're both the same and couldn't possibly be different.
    Complete opposite for me. Like there is no comparison, and I played WoW from the start, but only really played FFXIV the last couple years, and it has been night and day.

Since we like using our very limited anecdotal experience, I've asked for advice in WoW in dungeons and half the time no one says anything, the other half is "git gud" or just vote kicked. Rarely someone will actually give help.

In FFXIV, 95% of the time I get given boss mechanics and when playing a new role like healer or tank, advice on CD or tips and tricks for my specific class. The few times I don't, I've noticed their names are Asian (I play on a JP DC since I live close) and probably don't speak English. I've NEVER been made to felt bad for not knowing something. Ever.

Night and day.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2021-12-01 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    They aren't. Yet Gaius still seemingly towers over WoW's narrative anyway.
    Okay? WoW is an MMO. It doesn't focus on the 'narrative'. It focuses on endgame, where it beats FF14's ass like a cherokee drum.

FF14's dungeons/raids/trials are a joke. Every boss has a few mechanics that get copy pasted over the entire game ( stay out of bad stuff, stack to soak damage, split to avoid damage ), the dungeons are the same mindless crap where the enemies' only ability is 'put down AoE and cast it incredibly slow'.

Quote Originally Posted by florclorbromiod View Post
    Okay? WoW is an MMO. It doesn't focus on the 'narrative'. It focuses on endgame, where it beats FF14's ass like a cherokee drum.

FF14's dungeons/raids/trials are a joke. Every boss has a few mechanics that get copy pasted over the entire game ( stay out of bad stuff, stack to soak damage, split to avoid damage ), the dungeons are the same mindless crap where the enemies' only ability is 'put down AoE and cast it incredibly slow'.
    Imagine coming into a thread about MMO communities, just to bash something that is very opinion based and unrelated. And show me your savage and ultimate clears before saying FFXIV's endgame is a joke.

Oof.

"Personal experience"
    "Objectively"

Found the issue.
    Either English must be incredibly hard for you to understand or you didn't even read the post. I said that my personal experience does not define what is objective. I experienced one thing but my personal experience does not make something so.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I agree with you.

But I consider a games community to exist more than just inside the game. Particularly in when you consider Twitch, Discord etc. We're long past the time when a video game community was just the guys on you played Mortal Kombat on an arcade cabinet with.

For me, a game should be awarded the best community based on all of those channels outside of the game too. In those player moderated areas you get to see the side of the community that you can't, or won't, see in game. I'm not going to say thats Squenix's role to moderate those too but I do think it should be taken into account when deciding if its the best community or not.
    But I'm also part of the WoW community, or Total Warhammer community as I play both games and interact on both forums
    So do we award all these games then (if I were the theoretical reason behind this award obviously)?

It's not like I'm a different human being in either of those.
    Obviously most communities overlap, even in FFXIV. A lot of people that play FFXIV also play WoW I'd reckon.

Doesn't that just come back down to how all these 3rd party platforms are moderated then?
    Just how it comes down in each game to how it's moderated? Just... way more complex and convoluted and impossible to vote for/against?

So in my opinion, that's not what is actually meant here, it's just about the experience you have in that one game.
    Last edited by KrayZee33; 2021-12-01 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    What is always amazing/hilarious to me is how many baby man-children throw a hissy fit when someone says "Hey, you know all those rules you have to follow in the real world to avoid being thrown out of places? We are going to have those in this online space."

It makes me wonder if the issue is that they never leave the house so they aren't aware that you aren't entitled to scream at and harass people with vulgarity in real life almost anywhere...
    In real life, when someone is bad at what he is doing, I can say it. I'll get ban for that in FF. Not really the same "rule".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Imagine coming into a thread about MMO communities, just to bash something that is very opinion based and unrelated. And show me your savage and ultimate clears before saying FFXIV's endgame is a joke.

Oof.
    Well, you do not need to be "toxic" when the content is piss easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post

You don’t need to be toxic if it’s hard ether

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    You don’t need to be toxic if it’s hard ether
    Telling someone that they are not pulling their own weight is not toxic, but some people find it toxic thus report you and you get ban/punish for it in FF.

15+ Year Old Account
    To get the story, of course it's piss easy. The core gameplay is easy, which creates a more laid back environment. Hard content is optional and rewarding. Super hard content is also super optional and super rewarding.

More games should be like this. Offer a rewarding and fun experience in an immersive world

When the core gameplay for progression is just to seek harder and harder raiding and there's no real incentive to do anything else, of course people are going to chase that carrot on a stick.

Why do you think so many players jumped off the Everquest ship and onto the WoW ship? Because the leveling was easier and faster, and the raiding was easier and more rewarding, and for much of the game's first 6 years of life, leveling itself was a fun journey through an immersive world. I posted a video in another thread but I can post it here. WoW has a serious narrative problem. Nobody who's new knows why they should care about the story or the characters in the world. They're rushed to level 50 so they can experience the shadowlands ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

Telling someone that they are not pulling their own weight is not toxic, but some people find it toxic thus report you and you get ban/punish for it in FF.
    Because you can just disband whatever savage group you PF'd into and put that person on black list so they can't join PF groups you make in the future. You don't need to give anyone a reason for your blacklist. All you were going to say is "You suck, learn to DPS" at best, something worse maybe, then peace out and not group with that person anyway.

Some people will call this "passive aggressive" but just not verbally slapping someone around is how adults handle things. Slinging insults and telling someone they're shit isn't necessary.

If you're feeling generous you can even ask the person directly and privately if they'd like some pointers and tips on improving, and if they say no, you just blacklist and move on. We have a community built across all data centers that encourages this kind of Party Finder raiding that aids people. Not a single person has received a warning or ban simply for asking someone if they want some pointers. And if they say yes, that's them consenting to being told "how to play". Again, someone might call this kind of thing "passive aggressive" but it's how adults handle things rationally in the real world.

I realize for many people, someone getting in your way and fucking things up in the real world earns them a "Fuck you, do better, don't get in my way" or similar, but in reality MOST PEOPLE are polite and forgiving for all but obviously hostile actions.

Why do people feel the need to tell someone they're shit? Why in an MMO game do so many people care to do this?

The sheer amount of coping by WoW fanboys in here is astounding.
    Echo has been doing savage and they re not finding it as easy as you re making it out to be.
    Its not the hardest content out there but its by no means a pushover.
    Why do you feel the need to come into a post about a game winning an award and bash it 24/7?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    The sheer amount of coping by WoW fanboys in here is astounding.
    Echo has been doing savage and they re not finding it as easy as you re making it out to be.
    Its not the hardest content out there but its by no means a pushover.
    Why do you feel the need to come into a post about a game winning an award and bash it 24/7?
    Even Limit Max has said that ultimates are at least as hard as final raid mythic bosses, and in many ways harder due to the duration of the fights being 18 minutes. That's longer than pretty much any mythic boss in WoW. A true test of both skill and endurance.

I'm sure the WFR for FFXIV will get even more exciting now. Echo and Limit will probably both be taking part in the ultimate WFR now as well, and will likely keep up with both games... at least for the foreseeable future.

But we know why people are bashing FFXIV. This is after all primarily a site for WoW fans.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-12-01 at 10:34 AM.

To get the story, of course it's piss easy. The core gameplay is easy, which creates a more laid back environment. Hard content is optional and rewarding. Super hard content is also super optional and super rewarding.

More games should be like this. Offer a rewarding and fun experience in an immersive world

When the core gameplay for progression is just to seek harder and harder raiding and there's no real incentive to do anything else, of course people are going to chase that carrot on a stick.

Why do you think so many players jumped off the Everquest ship and onto the WoW ship? Because the leveling was easier and faster, and the raiding was easier and more rewarding, and for much of the game's first 6 years of life, leveling itself was a fun journey through an immersive world. I posted a video in another thread but I can post it here. WoW has a serious narrative problem. Nobody who's new knows why they should care about the story or the characters in the world. They're rushed to level 50 so they can experience the shadowlands ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you can just disband whatever savage group you PF'd into and put that person on black list so they can't join PF groups you make in the future. You don't need to give anyone a reason for your blacklist. All you were going to say is "You suck, learn to DPS" at best, something worse maybe, then peace out and not group with that person anyway.

Some people will call this "passive aggressive" but just not verbally slapping someone around is how adults handle things. Slinging insults and telling someone they're shit isn't necessary.

If you're feeling generous you can even ask the person directly and privately if they'd like some pointers and tips on improving, and if they say no, you just blacklist and move on. We have a community built across all data centers that encourages this kind of Party Finder raiding that aids people. Not a single person has received a warning or ban simply for asking someone if they want some pointers. And if they say yes, that's them consenting to being told "how to play". Again, someone might call this kind of thing "passive aggressive" but it's how adults handle things rationally in the real world.

I realize for many people, someone getting in your way and fucking things up in the real world earns them a "Fuck you, do better, don't get in my way" or similar, but in reality MOST PEOPLE are polite and forgiving for all but obviously hostile actions.

Why do people feel the need to tell someone they're shit? Why in an MMO game do so many people care to do this?
    People can't get their heads around others being civil instead of acting with hostility from behind the perceived anonymity the internet gives them.

FF14 players in general are just that, civil. If in their heads they're cursing you for being a loser.. That's their business. Welcome to real life.

I think these people that bring up passive aggressiveness should just get out more.