Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Four zones are the standard now?

4 level up zones, plus the Drac'thyr starting zone, which will be significantly smaller, because they start at level 58. They will be about as big as Death Knight and Demon Hunter zones, if that.

So only 4 real new zones. Even in recent expansions, before Shadowlands, like in MoP, WoD, Legion and BFA, we've always at least gotten 5-6 zones. Now since Shadowlands (The Maw doesn't count), and continuing on into Dragonflight, the new standard is 4 zones.

We used to have double as much. WotLK had 8, not counting the 2 empty zones. TBC had 7, and if you count the starter zones as well it had 11.

And all of the zones look very bland to be honest. Everything looks like something we've already seen before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cone of cold View Post
    4 level up zones, plus the Drac'thyr starting zone, which will be significantly smaller, because they start at level 58. They will be about as big as Death Knight and Demon Hunter zones, if that.

So only 4 real new zones. Even in recent expansions, before Shadowlands, like in MoP, WoD, Legion and BFA, we've always at least gotten 5-6 zones. Now since Shadowlands (The Maw doesn't count), and continuing on into Dragonflight, the new standard is 4 zones.

We used to have double as much. WotLK had 8, not counting the 2 empty zones. TBC had 7, and if you count the starter zones as well it had 11.

And all of the zones look very bland to be honest. Everything looks like something we've already seen before.
    Actually, Blizzard has stated that these zones are going to be much larger, and have a lot more vertical height because of dragonflight. So yeah, it's not a fair comparison.

And people still believe that the WoW team is giant. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than in Legion.

Four zones are the standard now?
    Yup. Blizzard has learned that they can produce less content and still be rewarded.

Yeah 4 zones is crazy low. The absolute minimum should be at least 5 if not 6.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    And people still believe that the WoW team is giant. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than in Legion.
    The amount of people working on wow in one way or another (devs translators QA ect) grew by almost 1000 from legion to BFA, shadowlands is unfortunately not cataloged as of yet.

Legion 4772 people (4763 developers, 9 thanks)
    BFA 5705 people (5696 developers, 9 thanks)

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...legion/credits
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...zeroth/credits
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

They've also said that these are the largest zones they've ever created, so it's possible we are getting more with less. Either way, we won't know until Alpha, but I'm sure that won't stop the "Blizzard bad" people from doom saying.

Quote Originally Posted by cone of cold View Post

Zone counts are just as stupid as counting the no. of raids they release at launch.

It doesn't matter at all, how many zones there are, it matters how much content they give you and if they're fun. Yes, Wrath added 8 leveling zones, but they were much much smaller and there was actually less leveling content and quests in a all of them combined, than for example Shadowlands.

Furthermore Wotlk's zones were mostly one-dimensional. You entered a zone and it looked the same every besides a few small exceptions. In the more modern expansions each zone has a clear identity, but all the subzones still offer so much variety, which simply wasn't the case before.

All in all, your argument is very weak, basically saying: Number of Zones = expansion good or bad, which is just stupid.

Anyways, Wrath was hot garbage, because we only had 10 classes back then. /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    It's hilarious how you think that knowing how many people work on WoW is some mystery and something arguable, even though they list every single person involved (and what they do) every time on the credits.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are larger than anything we´ve seen til now so it might as well work as 6 for as much as we know.
    When we get some map and scale we will know, but forget about the number 4, it means nothing given the scale of the land.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofCazicThule View Post
    They've also said that these are the largest zones they've ever created, so it's possible we are getting more with less. Either way, we won't know until Alpha, but I'm sure that won't stop the "Blizzard bad" people from doom saying.
    Yeah exactly. And at this point haters are going to hate regardless of what comes, even if the game is tailor made for them. Just gotta ignore them.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Dude View Post
    It's a shame really.
    Did you really respond to a thread you created on one account with another after the first got banned? I know your second one got banned, but I’m assuming you’ll reply on your third account

Also, on topic: quality over quantity. That is all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Actually, Blizzard has stated that these zones are going to be much larger, and have a lot more vertical height because of dragonflight. So yeah, it's not a fair comparison.
    Also all the zones have more biomes than normal. They confirmed like 4 or 5 biomes for the Snow zone.

Open fields. Coastline. Forrests, red mountains, and then the top snow area. Almost like a few zones smashed into one.

They did confirm that its one of the biggest continents they have done, and that the snow zone may be the biggest zone in WoW history.

So The 4 Dragonflight zones are going to be bigger than Pandaria and the Broken Isles that's for sure.

4 Zones, 4 Dungeons...

If the Evoker leveling zone is large and becomes a max level zone and they add new zones per major patch it will be ok. To be fair in Legion we got 4 leveling zones and a max level zone at the start so if the Evoker starter zone fills that role we are the same as we were in Legion. To be honest 4 leveling zones just flow better with the current speed of leveling. One max level zone at start and add more via major content patches just works well with the current design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trenbolone View Post
    4 Zones, 4 Dungeons...
    8 Dungeons just 4 for mythic+ in season 1 but they can always change that with pressure as its an easy switch to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The amount of people working on wow in one way or another (devs translators QA ect) grew by almost 1000 from legion to BFA, shadowlands is unfortunately not cataloged as of yet.

Legion 4772 people (4763 developers, 9 thanks)
    BFA 5705 people (5696 developers, 9 thanks)

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...legion/credits
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...zeroth/credits
    Although I understand where you're coming from, I want to add that for Warcraft 3 Reforged they credited nearly 5.600 people:
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...forged/credits

There is a lot of repetition in the credits as well, so that might not be best metric, and the vast majority credited are Customer/Service related, so not people working on developing the product. Although I must say that there seems to be more devs and testers in both games as compared to Legion, lots of names do get repeated despite their being different games and products, so working out these numbers might not be possible for us.

As for the subject of this thread, I guess it'll remain to be seen. Blizzard have not kept their word for many years now, so whether they are firing empty promises and saying what players want to hear to keep people engaged while not actually intent on delivering, well... We just don't know. We'll wait and see.

Yeah 4 zones, but on the other side, we dont know the size of them and with phasing 4 new zones can easy have alot more content then 8 old zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Counting zones as a measure of anything is dumb. It's the content that's within them that matters (quality and quanitity).
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

if they are huge and vertical, I dont see the problem. Hopefully they start using the rest of the world lol

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    Although I understand where you're coming from, I want to add that for Warcraft 3 Reforged they credited nearly 5.600 people:
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/windo...forged/credits

There is a lot of repetition in the credits as well, so that might not be best metric, and the vast majority credited are Customer/Service related, so not people working on developing the product. Although I must say that there seems to be more devs and testers in both games as compared to Legion, lots of names do get repeated despite their being different games and products, so working out these numbers might not be possible for us.

As for the subject of this thread, I guess it'll remain to be seen. Blizzard have not kept their word for many years now, so whether they are firing empty promises and saying what players want to hear to keep people engaged while not actually intent on delivering, well... We just don't know. We'll wait and see.
    I don’t know I’d argue the credits are the best metric as it’s the literal only one that lists every one involved.

Though of course listing every one involved is also a negative if you just want pure devs and no support staff but even then the credits would be the best place to look though you’d just have to manually sift through them.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

The first week of shadowlands I spent more time in revendreth than I did in zul'drak through all of wotlk on my hunter.