Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Forbes values the Commanders $1 billion over the Broncos FWIW.
    I remember seeing last year it was a $400 million difference or something. Guess Wilson and Hackett tanked it (mostly joking, but no shows does cost them revenue in some ways).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I remember seeing last year it was a $400 million difference or something. Guess Wilson and Hackett tanked it (mostly joking, but no shows does cost them revenue in some ways).
    Broncos just left too much money on the table by not stealing from their customers like Washington.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that NFC East bump.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Broncos just left too much money on the table by not stealing from their customers like Washington.
    Spending money after the stadium had a fire was a mistake too. Should have left it burnt like Washington lets sewage leak on fans.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Harris is the owner of the 76'ers Philly basketball team. Guess I'm going to continue shitposting about the Commanders...
    Lol that’s like Kraft owning the Yankees
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Don;t think the Eagles and Commanders hate eachother quite that much, but it's definitely weird and you can bet there's going to be some awkward moments if the Sixers want to have Eagles players come support the local team. Like, how does that even work if your owner owns your division rival?

Come to think of that, how DOES that even work, cause far as I know NFL forbids its owners from operating a team in any other sport than the NFL as the owner? The Pegulas have to work around that by having the husband own the Sabers and the wife owning the Bills. I think the Rams and Kroenke have a similar issue as well that they have to work around.

So how does this work for Harris and the Commanders? is Magic Johnson the actual owner for them? LOL

Come to think of that, how DOES that even work, cause far as I know NFL forbids its owners from operating a team in any other sport than the NFL as the owner? The Pegulas have to work around that by having the husband own the Sabers and the wife owning the Bills. I think the Rams and Kroenke have a similar issue as well that they have to work around.

So how does this work for Harris and the Commanders? is Magic Johnson the actual owner for them? LOL
    I think they got rid of that rule a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    You can't pass up the opportunity to own an NFL franchise imo. There's only 32 and they print 100s of millions of dollars every year.

300 million of 6 billion is 5%. You're not getting that on a treasury bill.

Also the salary cap is like $224m, but other than that, I think the NFL as a league covers most of the other costs. And even of the $224m cap, you don't have to pay that in full every year, just the guaranteed money.

Cap spent on players is irrelevant because that is a %(48.8% on the current deal) of the revenue as negotiated by the players union. If the cap increases, so is your revenue it's not coming out of owners profits. The players pay for themselves. The only real cost on the owners is maintaining or building new facilities and even then greedy ass billionaire owners will find every trick in the book to get the NFL or tax payer money to help pay for that also. The last part would be staff, and none outside of the GM and HC are making big money.

After all that's accounted for the owners are probably pocketing a cool $100 mil or more every year just from owning an NFL team and can at any point they want sell the team for more money than they bought it for. It's a money printer no matter how you slice it, not the fastest money printer by any means but pretty much the safest one you can get.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-04-14 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Cap spent on players is irrelevant because that is a %(48.8% on the current deal) of the revenue as negotiated by the players union. If the cap increases, so is your revenue it's not coming out of owners profits. The players pay for themselves. The only real cost on the owners is maintaining or building new facilities and even then greedy ass billionaire owners will find every trick in the book to get the NFL or tax payer money to help pay for that also. The last part would be staff, and none outside of the GM and HC are making big money.

After all that's accounted for the owners are probably pocketing a cool $100 mil or more every year just from owning an NFL team and can at any point they want sell the team for more money than they bought it for. It's a money printer no matter how you slice it, not the fastest money printer by any means but pretty much the safest one you can get.
    Our new stadium is gonna cost taxpayers $850 million (more than half the estimated $1.6b price tag) and the owners share is gonna be funded by.......selling PSLs in the new stadium. It's a fucking scam through and through, which is why people pay 6 billion for the fucking Washington Commanders who haven't been good since the early 90s.

Also I wouldn't say it's not fast, either. $100m a year (at a minimum) is a 20% on a 500m portfolio, or 10% on a $1 billion portfolio. Liquid. Most moneyed people, even the billionaires, don't have that much liquidity. Hell, I bet there's only a handful of people in the world liquid enough to print $100m in straight cash profit in a privately owned enterprise, besides owners of ventures like these: NFL teams, and some of the bigger European football clubs.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2023-04-14 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Our new stadium is gonna cost taxpayers $850 million (more than half the estimated $1.6b price tag) and the owners share is gonna be funded by.......selling PSLs in the new stadium. It's a fucking scam through and through, which is why people pay 6 billion for the fucking Washington Commanders who haven't been good since the early 90s.
    Yep classic. IIRC Pegula paid for the bills in straight 100% cash when he acquired the team(and now I'm sure the team is probably worth twice what he paid for it) but poor billionaire really has to fleece the working man to build a new stadium. What a joke. I can't believe we still have people that simp for NFL owners or act like it's just a prestige thing that doesn't make money.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-04-14 at 07:27 AM.

...but not many people's entire net worths are in liquid portfolio assets earning gains on the market. They're in real property or deprecating infrastructure, or, if they had their own company, tied into vested options which aren't easily fungible.

I have a fairly large portfolio and it's a fraction of my "net worth." This becomes even more true for people whose net worth is inflated by the companies they founded and work for, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    There is a question of where the limit is though. You can buy treasury bills with that 6 billion and get 300 million return. I don't think NFL teams are making 300 million (total revenue is 500 mill per team), so you're banking on the value of the investment continuing to rise. And of course there is a limit - they can't keep going up forever.

The problem is the sport makes monopolistic profits - it's one of those entities that just keeps producing the same product year after year but raising the price because they can, so they make more and more profit (and screw everyone else). But again - it obviously can't keep rising like this forever.

An nfl franchise alone isn't a sole money making machine in and of itself. Many owners own other businesses on the side.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard almost as much coverage on why the Ravens have really tried to do right by Lamar as I have heard about Jaylen Hurts new contract. Lotta water being carried in the media.

The Cardinals new uniforms look like generics ones from a movie or show. I guess it makes sense since they are cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    The Cardinals new uniforms look like generics ones from a movie or show. I guess it makes sense since they are cheap.
    The Cardinals designer probably went "But what if we did Colour Rush uniforms EVERY DAY?!" forgetting that colour rush uniforms weren't even that popular the year they came out in, let alone subsequent years. And yet several teams seem to have used that idea as a uniform inspiration (Patriots sadly one of them).

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1649434440450359301

Whoa

"Sources: NFL suspended 5 players, including #Lions WR Jameson Williams, for violations of NFL gambling policy. #Lions’ CJ Moore & Quintez Cephus, plus #Commanders' Shaka Toney, are suspended indefinitely (at least 1 year). Williams & DET’s Stanley Berryhill are suspended 6 games."

By my count that's FOUR Lions, including what was supposed to be their no. 1 Reciever. So much for their status as a Darkhorse candidate for the Playoffs/Superbowl.

"Sources: NFL suspended 5 players, including #Lions WR Jameson Williams, for violations of NFL gambling policy. #Lions’ CJ Moore & Quintez Cephus, plus #Commanders' Shaka Toney, are suspended indefinitely (at least 1 year). Williams & DET’s Stanley Berryhill are suspended 6 games."

By my count that's FOUR Lions, including what was supposed to be their no. 1 Reciever. So much for their status as a Darkhorse candidate for the Playoffs/Superbowl.
    Lions already cut two of them that got suspended for the year and the ones that got 6 games each are still on the team. Apparently a lot of staff in Detroit also got fired over this.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, okay or maybe they are fine. Lions already released 2 of the affected players from their roster.

After Ridley being suspended for a year you'd think NFL players would see that this is no joke, but now seeing a team lose staff and players over this that should reinforce it a bit more. I get how silly the betting thing is because of all the gambling partners the NFL has and even plays in Vegas but I get the point of not wanting NFL players betting on anything NFL related.