10+ Year Old Account
    Bronze condor, is that you?
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    The rule you mentioned sounds like it was meant for handguns, because you can put those in a holster and such.

I’m asking (again, third time now) how it applies to rifles. Because I don’t know, and when I don’t know something I usually ask.

- - - Updated - - -
    Here's one way:

Perfectly easy and non-threatening way to carry a rifle.

Here's another:

And another:

Turns out rifles have holsters too...

Yeah! Back to monarchy!
    No one said anything about "monarchy". In fact, no one said anything about Government at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Here's one way:

Perfectly easy and non-threatening way to carry a rifle.

Here's another:

And another:

Turns out rifles have holsters too...

No one said anything about "monarchy". In fact, no one said anything about Government at all.
    The “American experiment” usually refers to democracy. That guy said it failed. So the joke was, if the experiment failed, guess it’s time to go back to the previous system - monarchy.

Honestly I was expecting someone to yell at me for being a royalist or something cause you guys usually don’t get jokes, but it made me chuckle.

10+ Year Old Account
    The rule you mentioned sounds like it was meant for handguns, because you can put those in a holster and such.

I’m asking (again, third time now) how it applies to rifles. Because I don’t know, and when I don’t know something I usually ask.
    Open carry can refer to any firearm, though rules can sometimes vary by state. Open carry just means carrying in a non-concealed manner. You can open carry a handgun in your hand without a holster, though that rarely happens.

Brandishing a firearm, on the other hand, is different from normal open carry, and is illegal.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The “American experiment” usually refers to democracy. That guy said it failed. So the joke was, if the experiment failed, guess it’s time to go back to the previous system - monarchy.

Honestly I was expecting someone to yell at me for being a royalist or something cause you guys usually don’t get jokes, but it made me chuckle.

Sorry, I guess I'm just used to jokes being funny.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Open carry can refer to any firearm, though rules can sometimes vary by state. Open carry just means carrying in a non-concealed manner. You can open carry a handgun in your hand without a holster, though that rarely happens.

Brandishing a firearm, on the other hand, is different from normal open carry, and is illegal.
    That’s another question I hadn’t thought about - how hard is it to cock a rifle like that or turn the safety off, whatever? Would he have had to he have done that prior to Ritt chasing him?

I’m not sure what the difference between carry and brandish is - like is holding it sideways brandishing?

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s another question I hadn’t thought about - how hard is it to cock a rifle like that or turn the safety off, whatever? Would he have had to he have done that prior to Ritt chasing him?
    It's dead simple, typically. I'm not immediately clear on that particular model, but you can usually flip the safety with your thumb while you're holding it ready. Safeties are meant to be toggleable while the weapon's being handled, and switch between modes in a moment.

I’m not sure what the difference between carry and brandish is - like is holding it sideways brandishing?
    Any use of the weapon in an intimidating or threatening manner is "brandishing". Pointing it clearly follows, but if you've got a handgun in your belt, lifting your shirt to expose the weapon in an attempt to intimidate someone also qualifies as "brandishing", even if it's still holstered. Sticking it into their back while its in your jacket pocket, same thing. They don't need to see the weapon itself, just have its presence made known to another person in an effort to intimidate them.

Hell, even saying "back off, I have a gun and I'll use it" can qualify.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-11-14 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm like 99% sure you're full of shit here and just pretending not to know these things, but I'll answer anyway.

The safety can be disengaged with the flick of a thumb while holding the rifle normally. There is no need to cock or otherwise prepare the rifle if a round is already chambered and the safety is off.

Brandishing is generally pointing a firearm at a person intentionally, or otherwise acting in a threatening manner with the firearm. In Wisconsin:
    941.20  Endangering safety by use of dangerous weapon.
    (1)  Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
    (c) ...intentionally points a firearm at or toward another.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I'm like 99% sure you're full of shit here and just pretending not to know these things, but I'll answer anyway.
    Even if he legitimately didn't know these things...he could google that shit if he was actually interested.

America is a failed state, doesn't mean democracy can't work. Its doing reasonably well in most of the world.
    The problem, as usual, isn't Democracy, or even Guns.
    The problem is America, because no one but America has these issues.

- - - Updated - - -

open carry simply means your allowed to have a visible gun on your person. It doesn't give you the right to wave it around at people.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I'll go so far as to say his lawyers may have advised him that if he felt the urge to cry to get it out instead of pushing it down.

But it does seem like a buncha adults of the stolid type, and perhaps a little overeager to call him a white supremacist that's guilty of murder, are dismissing teenage emotion, or in my guess, a full fledged panic attack. And maybe they watched too many Rambo movies and that's their archetype for how someone that arms himself should act, and Hollywood movies for how teens should cry.

Some of the public conversation, together with lack of criticism of Rosenbaum, Huber, and Grosskreutz, make me think the "seems obvious" isn't all that obvious to some. Don't buy an AR-15 as a teen and defend car lots during a protest, and also don't jump armed teens during a protest.

Honestly, I wouldn't include a lesser included offense that was quite literally swatted down by the judge today in your post. I know what you're getting at, but it seems you aren't acquainted with which lesser included offenses that the judge is allowing. The prosecution does not get to argue Rittenhouse is guilty to a lesser degree on that specific charge. So pick a newer story that includes today, or go watch the video yourself.
    The problem with him crying isn't the crying part. When someone is under stress, especially this kind of stress, a lot can happen including breaking down mentally and outright crying.

However, if you watch the video, he stops midway through crying to look around as if he was gauging the room to see how people were reacting to it and then continued to cry afterwards. He does this multiple times. Now, this is my assumption to it all but that is a sign of someone putting on an act. Another thing, there are no tears at all.

Granted, I could be easily wrong here and it could be someone that is just overwhelmed but up until then,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    America is a failed state
    America is hardly a failed state.

Feel free to edgelord elsewhere.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Between the gun violence, number of incarcerated citizens, political corruption, voter suppression and a murderous insurrection that is still being defended by some 30% of the country I'm afraid to tell you that its a lot less 'edgelord' then you might like.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Between the gun violence, number of incarcerated citizens, political corruption, voter suppression and a murderous insurrection that is still being defended by some 30% of the country I'm afraid to tell you that its a lot less 'edgelord' then you might like.

Lets not fall down into this particular rabbithole.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet still massively edgelord and wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Lets not fall down into this particular rabbithole.
    Yeah, I'm not going to spend a lot of effort rebuking an obviously shit diagnosis. I will, however, point it out as wrong in simple terms.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    America is a failed state, doesn't mean democracy can't work. Its doing reasonably well in most of the world.
    The problem, as usual, isn't Democracy, or even Guns.
    The problem is America, because no one but America has these issues.

- - - Updated - - -

open carry simply means your allowed to have a visible gun on your person. It doesn't give you the right to wave it around at people.
    Nah, its doing what its supposed to be doing.

Broken justice system is part of the package, if you can't let fascists get away with murder or let big oil companies lock up lawyers, what is even the point?

Things have gotten dark over here! Guys, it’s only one trial dealing with a borderline situation. Meanwhile it seems like Ahmed A’s killers are going down.

Or we could try to stay dark and quote the famed nihilist Nietszche:

“We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.“

Hey look, even Nietszche could be cheerful!
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-11-14 at 05:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile it seems like Ahmed A’s killers are going down.
    Hey guys! We're probably going to achieve an absolute minimum standard! Isn't that great?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Hey guys! We're probably going to achieve an absolute minimum standard! Isn't that great?
    I mean, the burden of proof is high. “Only the obvious cases get convicted” is how it’s supposed to work. Do you think that should change?

Breonna case is a great example because the facts were so messy.

I mean, the burden of proof is high. “Only the obvious cases get convicted” is how it’s supposed to work. Do you think that should change?

Breonna case is a great example because the facts were so messy.
    But the facts weren't messy the standards are just significantly higher for police officers, their conviction rates are virtually non existent. Also the Ahmed case only got this far because of the video. If you followed the story before the public outcry they were well on their way to getting with it recommendation letters and all.