Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Fan Concept] Veiled Sea expansion : Tidal Tyrany

I was helping a friend come up with ideas for a legend about the Veiled Sea and since they wanted to have a Polynesian aspect to it, I started doing some research. I didn't even go really far, just a bunch a wiki links on Maori and Hawaiian mythologies, some descriptions of Polynesian gods, but I realized that was enough material to build up a little expansion concept.

Of course this a Fan concept, so I'm not even gonna pretend this is 10.0 future. There really isn't much gameplay anyway, it's mostly lore and story.

Now let's start with a pitch :

After Azshara was freed from N'zoth, most of the naga forces in the Great Sea seem to have disappeared. Denizens from the shores and the underwater started celebrating the departure of their tyrants and aggressors, but some like the wise tortollans remained wary and started following the trail of the naga, to discover where they went and what they were up to.

Soon enough, new concerning incidents occur as the Maelstrom grows in size, engulfing more and more water. Tide levels are plummeting as the seas retire from the shores and of course the Tidestone is once again missing. The Horde and Alliance are soon contacted by the worried messengers of Neptulon and Dalaran.

It is soon discovered that all the vanishing water is manifesting as a humongous tornado at the exact opposite of the Maelstrom on the globe, in the Veiled Sea. Expeditions are launched and the Horde and Alliance soon discover a volcanic archipelago neighboring the phenomenon. After setting foot, they meet with the tortollans investigating on the nagas who quickly explain the extent of their discoveries. The nagas have gathered here and conquered two islands who are now called Nu Azshari. Their queen seems to be at the center of the phenomenon, although no one knows what she really is doing.

Neptulon thinks she's trying to create her very own watery domain. The Kirin tor thinks she just wants to throw the most destructive tidal waves against the lands. It is up to you to investigate on what's to come and eventually stop it.

New Continent : Kamakonua Islands

The Kamakonua Archipelago was known to the tauren as a place out of reach, both physically and spiritually. They only knew of islands where the Earth Mother was constantly upset, spitting fire at her children, blinding them with poisonous smokes. Although the islands are the epicenter of regular volcanic activities, they are not the devastated lands the taurens imagine.

This would look a lot like the Lost Isles of the goblin starting zone.

The Kamakonua Archipelago is made up of six main islands. Two of them have already been conquered by the naga and are the closest to the water tornado called The Deluge. On the North one, ruins of night elf buildings appeared out of nowhere, as if Azshara was just teleporting her old Palace right into the land. The previous inhabitants were quickly drove away, killed or enslaved by the naga forces and started spreading into the other islands, adding to the chaos.

On the southern island, a force made up of the Ankoans, Unshackled and Tortollans managed to establish an outpost, hidden by scrolls of tortollan magic. They do their best to gather refugees and provide them with care.

The Kirin tor has set foot out of sight, trying to establish an observatory on the biggest island to further study the archipelago and its unique characteristics. They expect their observations to help the Alliance, the Horde and their other allies in Kamakonua, but also to build an adequate stronghold for the arrival of more troops.

The Horde and the Alliance had a different approach on how to settle on the islands. The Alliance wanted to keep some distance and not have their harbor facing Nu Azshari. Thus, they chose to build a fortified position on a thin band of land, giving easy access from one shore to the other, on an island protected by other smaller islands. The only problem is that this ideal position is already occupied by some fleeing refugees who are not impatient to see their haven turned into a stronghold that will attract conflict.

The Horde, on the other hand wanted to show strength and face their enemy, establishing their position right in front of them. Sure, their fortifications were attacked even before they were finished, but as soon as their objective was complete, they drew to themselves all the attention of the nagas. The local refugees, who remained safe on the other side of island, quickly understood that these "mad bold warriors" were the only thing between them and the nagas, so they are now bringing them substantial support.

Behold, the cheapest shit I have ever done :
    putting New Zealand next to Hawaii and next to a reverse Maelstrom

Mana and underwater ley lines

When setting foot on Kamakonua, the Kirin tor found it curious how hard it was to locate the ley lines of the islands. Turns out, unlike what they knew until now, those ley lines are actually under the water. This led to many theories like how these ley lines might just be a continuity of the ones seen in the great continents, how the Great Sea doesn't have ley lines because the Titans intervention precedes its existence, and how the lack of those ley lines on the islands of the Veiled Sea is what allows such elemental chaos.

Of course, the quickest observation was also that the naga were draining the power of these ley lines and harnessing it into their enormous water tornado.

Another observation was that the mana existing in all things was more potent on the islands. And if not potent, unstable. That led to spellcasters and other craftsmen to be more cautious in their practices in order to avoid incidents. The theory behind that was that the lack of ley line patterns on land resulted in less harmony in the manifestations of mana.

The denizens of Kamakonua

The Taniwha
    The archipelago is the land of many folks, living both underwater and on the surface. Like the Taniwha, a species of sharkfolks descendants of the Loa Gral. With the blessing of their father they feared nothing that could swim, so, sturdy and adventurous, they decided to go on land, traveling from islands to islands, settling everywhere they wanted and looking for prowess to accomplish. First they sought only to impress and honor their gods and become heroes, but their appetite for glory grew more. They laughed at the face of danger, laughed at the gods as they kept pushing forward to become them.

Their bold temperament and daring nature eventually led to divine punishment. It is said that Maowi, the most intrepid of their heroes is responsible for the curse afflicting the Veiled Sea and the Taniwha. That he so strongly offended Whaea Honua, the Goddess of Winds, Fires and Earth, that volcanoes won't ever sleep if a Taniwha is present. And that he so deeply disturbed the balance of the oceans that their father cursed them to turn into common sharks if they ever leave the Veiled Sea.

Cindy Avelino does great art and even sells some super bases to create your own beastfolks. Check her out !

The Taniwha grow bigger as they grow older, and they cover themselves with more and more tattoos, telling the stories of their adventures or showing their status and rank. These markings are made of a special ink that glows in the dark, making the Taniwha able to identify each others in deep waters or at night, although they are also easily spotted.

The Tohunga : The Tohunga are the guides of the Taniwha. They are priests, healers, but also advisors, carvers and builders, teachers and navigators. They often practice magic in one form or another, providing enchantments, blessings or calling the elements and the spirits of all things.

Maowi the Hero : Obviously inspired by Māui. Nobody knows what became of him after his offense to the gods. Some say he's trying to atone for his crime, some say he's looking for a cure to the curse, others declare that he hides deep in the ocean, unable to recover from the humiliation. Despite that, his audacity and temerity keep inspiring young Taniwha, especially in these uncertain times.

Goddess Whaea Honua : Is basically the Earth Mother, obviously inspired by the goddess Pele. She's the embodiment of those capricious lands, bringing life and death to the people on the islands and on the sea. The Taniwha pity the dryskins, for they have no choice but to float at her level, even when this means facing her wrath. Some of them also believe to descend from both Gral and Whaea Honua, making them children of seas and lands, masters on both.

Manaia : Is a shapeshifting spirit, carrying messages between the spirit world and the mortals. Between the gods and their children. He can be a bird, a fish, a lizard, a snake, a seahorse or a man. He is often called for favors by a Taniwha who goes to adventure, and will carve his symbol on his gear or paint it on his body.

The Hakuturi
    The Hakuturi are small birdlike people living in the forests which fall under their protections. They often come in conflict with the Taniwha, as part of the old curse stating that no Taniwha is welcome on land. Despite this, if one shows respect and deference to their clan and their habitat, they can be brought to help, with the power of the forest. Hard at work, they are considered easy prey by the pillagers of the sea, often mistakenly.

I don't have pictures, but I imagine they would be like kiwi birdmen. With little straw hats.

The Mo'o
    The Mo'o are descendants of a clan of sauroks who traveled all the way to the Veiled Sea. Here, among the underwater ley lines they developed some new abilities, such as shapeshifting into various forms of reptiles.

They are a bit more intelligent than the usual sauroks, but just as voracious, and often come into conflict with the natives of the Veiled Sea. The chaotic natures of the islands suits them very well, and they often hide inside caves.

The Menehune
    They are actually a group of Earthen who was left dormant in stone form all around the islands. They can be found everywhere in the archipelago and are considered responsible for the construction of many roads and buildings in Kamakonua. The current inhabitants of the archipelago who now use their constructions as temples or shelters worship the ancient builders as guardians effigies. The League of Explorers is looking to wake them up in order to learn about the true history of the Veiled Sea.

The Maero
    The Maero is a clan of ancient giants living on this side of the planet. Half magma giants, half sea giants, they are voracious and sometimes provoke volcanic eruptions on purpose, just to get some crusty meals. Their hide is way harder than the usual sea giants but they are not tied to elemental planes like fire giants.

The Patupaiarehe
    What the inhabitants of the Veiled Sea call Patupaiarehe is actually a clan of vrykul pillagers. Established on another island far away from Kamakonua, they come with the mists, jumping from their ships to attack settlements and villages.

The Ponaturi
    The Ponaturi are a type of gilgoblins. They dry very easily and don't usually come out of water in daytime. But at night, on the shores, they can be seen trading with the other races. They are an essential part of Kamakonua, since their talent for diplomacy and their cunning instincts allows the exchange of resources between people who would usually fight each other.

Bestiary

The Kaupe
    Kaupes are malevolent creatures who lure their targets in the forests by mimicking the voice of the wounded. They are said to be Hakuturi, corrupted by their own Nightmares.

Nightmarchers
    The Nightmarchers are the ghosts of ancient Taniwha warriors and adventurers. They are known to be called by malevolent Tohungas and their presence means troubles.

Apukohai
    Apukohai is a sea monster who was said to have been vanquished by a giant with the aid of an owl goddess and a fish. The naga somehow made him return, and put him at their service. Apukohai is back to terrorize the Veiled Sea, patrolling south of Nu Azshari to devour any intruder.

Sprites
    The Hakuturi are not the only protectors of the forests. Several clans of sprites live on the archipelago, and have the ability to travel from one island to the other via their groves. Although, some of these sprites are mostly disturbers of the peace.

The Nukumaitore are mostly benevolent sprites of the forests.
    The Tipua are pretty neutral, so neutral that they just stay into hiding, by disguising themselves into daily objects, stones or trees.
    The Aitu can also take many forms, but they are usually malevolent and enjoy tormenting mortals.

Hakawai
    The Hakawai is a bird of prey whose song is said to be a bad omen.

Mohoua
    The Mohoua is a smaller bird whose song indicates the weather.

Poukai
    The Poukai are giant eagles who prey on Tallstriders.

Waitoreke
    The Waitoreke is a type of critters who resembles both an otter and a beaver, with a spotted fur.

Matuku-tangotango
    Is a legendary monstrous Tallstrider, who was so tall he could pass from an island of Kamakonua to another in one giant leap.

Ika whenua
    The Ika whenua is a type of fish that can grow up to enormous proportions and turns to stone when it's dead. It is said that most islands in the Veiled Sea are actually the corpses of Ika whenua. The biggest of them, Hahau-whenua, is said to have been killed by Maowi and is now the Kamakonua archipelago.

Te Wheke
    Is the giant pet octopus of a long lost Tohunga. It has since then been found and enslaved by the nagas, who use it to guard the North of Nu Azshari
    Last edited by DatToffer; 2022-12-17 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Cindy Avelino does great art and even sells some super bases to create your own beastfolks. Check her out !
    You have good taste. I remember her snakemen art being posted in the Sethrak allied race threads on the official forums. Would have been cool if you could play something that looked like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, I like all the race and creature concepts. This is hitting a lot of the notes that I'd always wanted to see in an Azshara/high seas related expansion. A return of Azshara would be a good opportunity to 'reboot' the naga as it were, giving them a new aesthetic and style that represents Azshara moving away from what kind of kingdom she'd built with N'Zoth's power.

(Also I hadn't seen that artist's work before, it's great, I appreciate their promotion!)

That reminds me so much of New Zealand. ❤️ I'd really love some Maori vibes in WoW. We'll get that in Ashes of Creation and I think that's pretty cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty cool.

Oh, I thought for a second there was a problematic word in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    You have good taste. I remember her snakemen art being posted in the Sethrak allied race threads on the official forums. Would have been cool if you could play something that looked like that.
    Thanks, I had trouble finding good sharkmen with tattoos/patterns, luckily I followed this artist and someone pointed out her sharkfolk base !

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Nice, I like all the race and creature concepts. This is hitting a lot of the notes that I'd always wanted to see in an Azshara/high seas related expansion. A return of Azshara would be a good opportunity to 'reboot' the naga as it were, giving them a new aesthetic and style that represents Azshara moving away from what kind of kingdom she'd built with N'Zoth's power.

(Also I hadn't seen that artist's work before, it's great, I appreciate their promotion!)
    We've seen crab naga girls recently, it would be cool to get more variations, yeah. I didn't talk about murlocs and makrura though, could be the subject of a patch, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Palia View Post
    That reminds me so much of New Zealand. ❤️ I'd really love some Maori vibes in WoW. We'll get that in Ashes of Creation and I think that's pretty cool.
    Not gonna lie, this was mostly done with the wikipedia categories "Maori mythology" and "Hawaiian mythology". A lot of creatures have the exact same name, you can google them to know their actual legends !

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    This is pretty cool.
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by deftualjuice View Post
    Oh, I thought for a second there was a problematic word in the title.
    I could have called it "Azshara Big Tides"

5+ Year Old Account
    each time someone thinks that sharkmen is something new and unique, and no one though about it before, it gives me laugh.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

5+ Year Old Account
    Wait? Kirin Tor will have their island? If yes, then I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Wait? Kirin Tor will have their island? If yes, then I'm in!
    This would be a neutral ground with lots of dailies and activities related to the Kirin tor and League of Explorers observations, yeah !

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    each time someone thinks that sharkmen is something new and unique, and no one though about it before, it gives me laugh.
    Luckily no one pretended this was new and unique. But it certainly hasn't been made on wow, yet. And it's cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just discovered this and it's exactly what I've been wanting in an expansion!

<3 NZ Ka pai e hoa

But, where are the moa, bro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

The most annoying thing about an expansion like this is you just know that they're going to wrap it all up with another Old God and/or Titan facility. *roll eyes*

And where are the naga in this?

Throw in some pirates and Naga for good measure and I'm sold!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it starts out great, but then after reading all the weird names.. I noticed we are missing naga and pirates.

5+ Year Old Account
    Gosh, love idea of sea themed expansion since i'am in minority that LOVES UNDERWATER zones, i had whole idea about zone that gonna be phasing with water 30 minutes it's whole covered with water then boom for next five minutes all water dries out so anyone who not standing on sea floor just falls to the death without a water, and mostly love for Street Sharks makes me to vote yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am loving this theme and vibe. It's a new culture to draw inspiration from and that can lead to some fun art styles. Maybe even give us a new playable race too.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Nice work.

But I don't want to visit a new place we never heard of before.

I hope the next expansion is more focused on Warcraft franchise roots (races/places/old threats).

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    and of course the Tidestone is once again missing.
    Khadgaaaaaaar!

(Honestly this one isn't too bad. Works in the pirate potential foreshadowing and some interesting ideas.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Wow I didn't see the new answers, thank you everyone for coming here. This fan-concept was not related to the reveals of the Nightsquall fleet and such, so you'll notice the pirates are very much absent ! The naga despite being the main antagonists of the expansion appear underdeveloped too, but that's only because I wanted to focus on how the Maori myths would translate in wow and give a good description of what was really new here. This could very much be an opportunity to introduce new naga units, like the crab ladies and such !

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    I just discovered this and it's exactly what I've been wanting in an expansion!

<3 NZ Ka pai e hoa

But, where are the moa, bro?
    Thank you ! The moa would be another breed of tallstriders I suppose. Although Matuku-tangotango is a bittern in the actual Maori mythology, I made it a tallstrider and thought it could be one of the world boss of the isles. A gigantic voracious tallstrider, it's really something we're missing right now in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The most annoying thing about an expansion like this is you just know that they're going to wrap it all up with another Old God and/or Titan facility. *roll eyes*
    When I come up with concepts like these, I usually don't think things all the way through the different patches. I suppose since Azshara is the primary antagonist, the Old Gods would be involved in some way or another. It's hard to escape this theme here !

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Throw in some pirates and Naga for good measure and I'm sold!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    it starts out great, but then after reading all the weird names.. I noticed we are missing naga and pirates.
    Well, this was written before the Nightsquall and thing revelation so I hadn't thought of bringing the pirates in the theme. They could probably have a whole patch dedicated to a fleet of pirates coming to plunder the isles. Maybe mixing it with a vengeful Old God who's not happy that Azshara parted ways with them and we get creepy cursed pirates, with a whole bunch of ocean dark magic.

The naga here are the main antagonists, I simply focused on the isles and their lore instead. So yeah, their threat may seem underdeveloped on paper, but that's just how expansions usually start : we discover a new place, meet the inhabitants and tackle the various local threats before going after the main antagonist.

And the weird names are really just the names of Maori mythological heroes and beasts, I honestly didn't try to change them for flavor, because I knew I would need to google them afterward and remember what these creatures are inspired from.

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Gosh, love idea of sea themed expansion since i'am in minority that LOVES UNDERWATER zones, i had whole idea about zone that gonna be phasing with water 30 minutes it's whole covered with water then boom for next five minutes all water dries out so anyone who not standing on sea floor just falls to the death without a water, and mostly love for Street Sharks makes me to vote yes.
    I believe that when Blizzard received bad feedback on Vashj'ir, they decided to abandon underwater zones altogether instead of finding ways to make it cool. That's how we get dried Nazjatar and that was a bit of a shame honestly. A return to underwater gameplay would be appropriate here and although your idea feels a bit dangerous, it might be fun too !

Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    I am loving this theme and vibe. It's a new culture to draw inspiration from and that can lead to some fun art styles. Maybe even give us a new playable race too.
    Playing shark-people would be fun yeah ! The way I wrote them, they are cursed to not be able to leave the isles but a few questlines to lift that curse could make them playable in the end !

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    Nice work.

But I don't want to visit a new place we never heard of before.

I hope the next expansion is more focused on Warcraft franchise roots (races/places/old threats).
    Thanks ! This is only a fan-concept so it is no speculation at all. Just a thought exercise on how to introduce the Pacific Ocean myths and legends into WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Khadgaaaaaaar!

(Honestly this one isn't too bad. Works in the pirate potential foreshadowing and some interesting ideas.)
    Damn, how could I forget our favorite Dadmage ? He would have so many new crystals to make us gather here.

Also thanks, the Sea expansion concept was one of the contenders in the great battles of expansions speculations, but I admit I completely disregarded the naval aspect and focused on exploring new islands.