Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the1skate View Post
    He did say he was a complete noob. Bet he doesn't know what ESD is or how to avoid it.
    But what ever. I've been building PCs for 21 years.
    Yes, it is very easy.
    No, not everyone is comfortable building one for themselves. Otherwise pre-builts would not sell.
    I realize that, but if you don't try, you'll never learn. I think the best we can do here is try and convince him to build his own, but offer all the alternatives. (Which we've done via a CyberPower link upwards on the page.)
    Pro tip: Don't flash your credentials. Most of us don't care, and it's nowhere near relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    Here's a link to the superdupermegaawesomethread for budget builds http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build check it out.
    I've been to this thread, but thanks s'much. I do not feel comfortable building my own pc because I'm a bit impatient and lack any skill that requires building things. This thread however brought some knowledge that I'll look in to. The cyberpowerpc site is awesome and I found a computer that I might buy. I'll probably end up building a computer next year . Anything else I should know about frying RAM? Or what increases fps the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Boingo View Post
    Anything else I should know about frying RAM?
    Don't put it in a microwave and ur good.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    I've been to this thread, but thanks s'much. I do not feel comfortable building my own pc because I'm a bit impatient and lack any skill that requires building things. This thread however brought some knowledge that I'll look in to. The cyberpowerpc site is awesome and I found a computer that I might buy. I'll probably end up building a computer next year . Anything else I should know about frying RAM?
    1) Mind telling us what computer that is? I wouldn't want you to waste your money =p
    2) I honestly have no idea how you'd "Fry" RAM, unless you poured water on it or something.
    3) The "skill" required to build a computer is looking up a Youtube video.
    4) To get a high FPS in WoW, you need a both a good CPU and a good GPU, and some RAM too, this is a bit less important though, I guess.
    Nothing increases it "the most", you need a good mix!
    Last edited by mmocb39a133b7e; 2011-07-10 at 03:11 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a fine computer, but the thing is you can't really buy a good computer for a good price from alienware (they need profit), if you are swimming in cash then get one, otherwise just get parts and make it yourself. I got one in january as a gift and it works fine, and although I am really grateful for it if I had known I was going to be getting a computer I would have bought a pre-built one from newegg or something. With that said, the alienware chassis and the cool light effects they put in with their computers are second to none, but they aren't worth the price imo.
    Last edited by TheKingofBears; 2011-07-10 at 03:14 AM.

<- uses an alienware aurora.

I know that there is 100% chance of me messing something up if I attempted to create a PC by myself.

Tack on repair costs if something goes wrong. ( alienware has a warranty, a very nice one at that )

I'd take my overpriced bad ass looking computer over a half priced shitty homemade computer any day.

Forgive me for wanting to show off more than my FPS.

- Even though I get 60 - 70 FPS with this in org on a Wednesday night at 8PM
    Last edited by Jumpieboi; 2011-07-10 at 03:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpieboi View Post

I know that there is 100% chance of me messing something up if I attempted to create a PC by myself.

Tack on repair costs if something goes wrong. ( alienware has a warranty, a very nice one at that )

I'd take my overpriced bad ass looking computer over a half priced shitty homemade computer any day.
    That "half priced" computer will beat your Aurora in performance any day of the week, and no, if you tried to build a computer, you WOULD'NT mess anything up, because it's too simple to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    1) Mind telling us what computer that is? I wouldn't want you to waste your money =p
    2) I honestly have no idea how you'd "Fry" RAM, unless you poured water on it or something.
    3) The "skill" required to build a computer is looking up a Youtube video.
    4) To get a high FPS in WoW, you need a both a good CPU and a good GPU, and some RAM too, this is a bit less important though, I guess.
    Nothing increases it "the most", you need a good mix!
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DC3PT

Deleted
    Well, as I said before, that computer has a APU, meaning the chip it uses in the processor socket is both a graphics card and a processor.
    I, personally wouldn't recommend one of those, but I guess it isn't too bad, don't kno w a lot about 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    Well, as I said before, that computer has a APU, meaning the chip it uses in the processor socket is both a graphics card and a processor.
    I, personally wouldn't recommend one of those, but I guess it isn't too bad, don't kno w a lot about 'em.
    I trust that you're right. But, is it a decent computer that will run well. Also, I won't build a computer. I'm too derp to comprehend the fact that it'll be tons cheaper and easy to do. /SUPERHARDDERP

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the1skate View Post
    He did say he was a complete noob. Bet he doesn't know what ESD is or how to avoid it.
    But what ever. I've been building PCs for 21 years.
    Yes, it is very easy.
    No, not everyone is comfortable building one for themselves. Otherwise pre-builts would not sell.
    Oh please.... yeah I'm sure you've been building computers for 21 years. Most of the people who randomly pop into the computer forums for the first time ever and say some shit along the lines of "I've been building computers for X number of years so I AM GUD!!!" are full of shit and need to stop posting. I know a guy who said he's been building computers for 9 years, doesn't make him good at it.

Some obvious ways to tell when a builder doesn't know what they're talking about:

LOL full towers aren't as good as mid-towers for airflow!
    I need two giant 580s and an AX1200 watt PSU and an i7-2600K but I'm not going to waste my time telling YOU what I use my computer for.

Seriously, post with more tact or don't post at all.

(Also, a real builder would know a vast minority of people getting custom built computers/building them themselves don't even spend $100 on RAM, rofl!)

---------- Post added 2011-07-10 at 03:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpieboi View Post

Forgive me for wanting to show off more than my FPS.

- Even though I get 60 - 70 FPS with this in org on a Wednesday night at 8PM
    Wow, what a cocky, disrespectful, and ignorant post.

A. I recently found that Alienware's warranty (lol it's actually Dell) sucks, my friend's laptop stopped working, she sent it in to Dell, they told her they would replace the motherboard that apparently got water damage on it... for a whopping $580! And she only got the damn thing 6 months ago! YES it was under warranty too. Have fun, "boi."

B. Half priced shitty homemade computer? You've obviously not seen the looks of most of our computers. Go take a look in the "post your gaming setup" forum thread.

C. You have nothing to show off but your arrogance, which isn't a good thing to show off.

D. Only 60-70 fps? And you spent $2k+tax? Wow, I get better than that and I spent less than you.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamnn.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Thanks for all this info guys! I really appreciate the nice posts and no trolling . I'll check back here later, I've got to go ;o

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all this info guys! I really appreciate the nice posts and no trolling . I'll check back here later, I've got to go ;o
    Have a good evening, day, night, afternoon, morning, whatever time it is where you are! :P
    "A flower.

Does cyberpower offer Intel CPU's? Because they are far more superior then AMD's CPU or APU's as they call this new release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the alienware Aurora a good gaming desktop? Or can I get a cheaper build for a lot less? Computer noooooob here.

Links would be nice !
    I Really do not trust alienware since they became part of Dell.

You can go to Newegg Tigerdirect, or Doghouse Systems.

If you can you should buy the parts yourself and build the system for cheap.
    You will still have product warranty.

For canadians memoryexpress sells parts as well as builds your system for you.

Using one currently (Granted it was 1500 USD, but it was a floor model and I got it for 1k, so that puts it in average price range). I have to say it plays pretty well, even though it still uses a 1st generation i7. 30 fps at the lowest in most points, down to 10 on spots like cindy whelps on 25 or the first part of rhyolith trash (But seriously, what computer DOESNT lag in those spots?). Besides that it consistently runs the 60 fps cap on my monitor with shadows turned down and everything else up.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    snip.
    Le quote...

Irony, your post was maybe not ignorant, but definitely cocky and disrespectful.

The aurora doesn't top the 2k range unless you get the fully upgraded one. (If you get the area 51, you have my sympathy, THOSE are expensive as hell).

I don't think you got the point of warranty either, warranty is generally if the part fails without external causes, in other words, just "breaks". Spilling water on it may void the warranty. And really, laptops are a real pain to open up, that 580 is mostly labor cost (even if a tad high).

Lots of the homemade computers have the "wow" stuff as the guts, water cooling is really cool. It's a fact. If not cool, its definitely effective.

Well, some people just like the looks eh? Some people might not like the gigantic case though.

And as I said, I got mine for 1k, worth around 15-1600 USD. It runs the 60-70 fps in stormwind without a problem unless I fly high up (With water effects mind you).

I am also looking to build my next desktop, but that may be quite a while from now simply for reasons that I will be switching to a laptop going in to college.
    Last edited by BoomChickn; 2011-07-10 at 04:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Deleted
    there are websites that will allow you to pick all the parts you want an essemble them for a fraction of the price of an alienware - "alienware" is like a console gamers pc, they use pretty decent parts assemble them in a cool looking box and have a fancy webpage - people who dont know much about pc fall for the trap an assume they are beastly gaming pcs - but infact they are a rip off, most of time you can go to another company, get a pc as good if not better for around half the price - dont fall for the trap

---------- Post added 2011-07-10 at 04:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh please.... yeah I'm sure you've been building computers for 21 years. Most of the people who randomly pop into the computer forums for the first time ever and say some shit along the lines of "I've been building computers for X number of years so I AM GUD!!!" are full of shit and need to stop posting. I know a guy who said he's been building computers for 9 years, doesn't make him good at it.

Some obvious ways to tell when a builder doesn't know what they're talking about:

LOL full towers aren't as good as mid-towers for airflow!
    I need two giant 580s and an AX1200 watt PSU and an i7-2600K but I'm not going to waste my time telling YOU what I use my computer for.

Seriously, post with more tact or don't post at all.

(Also, a real builder would know a vast minority of people getting custom built computers/building them themselves don't even spend $100 on RAM, rofl!)

---------- Post added 2011-07-10 at 03:34 AM ----------

A. I recently found that Alienware's warranty (lol it's actually Dell) sucks, my friend's laptop stopped working, she sent it in to Dell, they told her they would replace the motherboard that apparently got water damage on it... for a whopping $580! And she only got the damn thing 6 months ago! YES it was under warranty too. Have fun, "boi."

B. Half priced shitty homemade computer? You've obviously not seen the looks of most of our computers. Go take a look in the "post your gaming setup" forum thread.

C. You have nothing to show off but your arrogance, which isn't a good thing to show off.

D. Only 60-70 fps? And you spent $2k+tax? Wow, I get better than that and I spent less than you.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamnn.
    you are so right , my friend bought an alienware for £2000 and he had alot of trouble with the warranty when the thing broke down , he was only getting about max 80fps on high

mean while i went to a local independent retailer - told them what i wanted spent £700 on it and get 140 on ultra - and i have a 2 year parts and labour warranty

dont go use alienware spread the word !!! - if you dont know about pc pay someone to build it you - even that is cheaper than aleinware
    Last edited by mmoc653be429b6; 2011-07-10 at 04:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Using one currently (Granted it was 1500 USD, but it was a floor model and I got it for 1k, so that puts it in average price range). I have to say it plays pretty well, even though it still uses a 1st generation i7. 30 fps at the lowest in most points, down to 10 on spots like cindy whelps on 25 or the first part of rhyolith trash (But seriously, what computer DOESNT lag in those spots?). Besides that it consistently runs the 60 fps cap on my monitor with shadows turned down and everything else up.

Le quote...

Irony, your post was maybe not ignorant, but definitely cocky and disrespectful.

The aurora doesn't top the 2k range unless you get the fully upgraded one. (If you get the area 51, you have my sympathy, THOSE are expensive as hell).

I don't think you got the point of warranty either, warranty is generally if the part fails without external causes, in other words, just "breaks". Spilling water on it may void the warranty. And really, laptops are a real pain to open up, that 580 is mostly labor cost (even if a tad high).

Lots of the homemade computers have the "wow" stuff as the guts, water cooling is really cool. It's a fact. If not cool, its definitely effective.

Well, some people just like the looks eh? Some people might not like the gigantic case though.

And as I said, I got mine for 1k, worth around 15-1600 USD. It runs the 60-70 fps in stormwind without a problem unless I fly high up (With water effects mind you).

I am also looking to build my next desktop, but that may be quite a while from now simply for reasons that I will be switching to a laptop going in to college.
    I actually appreciated your post, as yours was more honest and just saying like, here is what I got, here is what it does, I know it's not god-mode, but it does what I need it to.

I fought fire with fire with that guy because he came in here, pretty much bashing most, if not all, of the regulars here, who I have come to the point of considering friends. (watch as Fuzzy and friends back away slowly)

I meant no disrespect to Alienware users in general, but when they get like jumpyboi or w.e got, well hell, anyone can get like that, and no one likes it. Especially when they don't realize they're incorrect too.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're buying a desktop for the sole sake of the appearance of the case, please just go. Go on, get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    If you're buying a desktop for the sole sake of the appearance of the case, please just go. Go on, get.
    I guess just flat out brutal honesty works too. heh
    "A flower.