Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Warcraft 3 Reforged honest review

So after a lot of critics I decided to write some small honest review about WC3R, without any blind hatred and parroting other youtubers.

Disclaimer: When I first saw WC3R panel at blizzcon and listened to their stuff I just thought it was going to be a simple remaster, not a damn Warcraft 4. So I did not expect anything astonishing that will blast my socks off.

Preamble: This is NOT a review comparison to WC3. It is a simple review of a simple player that is not really interested in RTS games. I played original long time ago so I preordered WC3R one day before it was released. Completely uninterested in free mount that came with it.

Story: As usual story withing this universe is pretty simple, don't expect anything extraordinary, there were few cases when I genuinely thought some of the plots did not make sense. Especially the scene with Uther and Arthas before Stratholme. Up to this day I do not think Arthas was wrong there. Uther knew what will happen if they will leave city alone and "finding another way" was either excuse or just being stupid. Whole plot was kind of scattered around but overall quite interesting.

Gameplay: Quite archaic system when it comes to RTS games, what was most annoying was limit of controlling up to 12 unit at the same time. Using some of the strats like meatwagons + necromancers which produced tons of summoned units it was simply unbearable to play. Grouping hotkeys did not help a lot in this case. I played on normal difficulty but hard wasn't so hard at all, except for last mission of the damned campaign which was waaaaaaaaay harder than any other mission in entire game. The one you fight blood elves and Illidan at the same time. Unit movement was bit wonky as well. Especially when navigating terrain some unit tend to get stuck. Not very good overall imo.

Heros: hero system was definitely one of the best aspects of the game with a conjunction with items. In last campaign I made Rexxar almost immortal that could withstood entire army of kultirans on his own. Unfortunately I don't think they are balanced well. Solo missions with just heros were quite pleasant at the beginning but went pretty boring at the end of campaign.

Graphics: I completely understand some people may dislike new graphics but for me personally models and graphics were quite good. I thought some faces did not match of what I've seen in WoW (Namely Thrall) but It's not like it's going to ruin my experience.

Bugs: I did encounter few bugs but most of them were about units being stuck. Other than that I did experience one "Defeat" bug that did not allow me to progress further so instead of screeching on forums I did write a ticket. Got response they are aware of this bug and working on fixing it. 3 days later bug was gone and just before I finished campaign. I really do not understand what "massive amount of bugs" people speak about. I wish other games I play had so little bugs as WC3R. Not saying there aren't bugs but if not for that one, I would say game is flawless if it comes to issues.

Verdict:
    It was quite pleasant game, got me hooked for like 100+ hours on campaign only, I used to "wake up" from trance in the middle of the night realizing I've been playing for far too long. But because of the issues and archaic systems I rate game:

6.5/10

Because:
    1. I did not expect god knows what, we all know blizzard hyped people too much (or maybe people hyped themselves too much)
    2. Early bugs (just one of them prevented me from completing a mission)
    3. Archaic systems
    4. Issues with stuck units

If you read professional reviews in internet I quite agree with most of them having a score 6.0-8.0 because ultimately it depends on what do you expect from GAMES in general to have fun. If you expected basically warcraft 4 you will be disappointed. If you expect modern RTS you will be disappointed. BUT if you are like me, just going to play old game with new graphics I think you might be positively surprised.
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2020-02-17 at 05:24 AM.

Warcraft 3 is to me one of the best games ever. I do have reforged and I must say I was a bit surprised when I heard the complaints, I thought it was going to be a straight up remastered WC3 with updated graphics. And that it is :P

The game isnt bad. And your rewiew is kinda good and objective.
    The "remaster" is bad. If you were to rewiew on what this remaster made better and what it added, then it would make things pretty sad. And 0.5 metacritic troll score is actually not that far fetched in that regard.

Remember aoe 2? They did hd remaster which was mostly meh. Then they added 3 expansions and made de edition which improved the game and added to it drasticaly.
    The real shame here is that blizz went hd way, not the de. Warcraft 3 is a classic and it deserved far better treatment.
    I mean - come on. Is there anyone whatching the redone intro in w3 not saying "wow, how cool it would be, if they redone all of them". And they could have. They chose not to. They chose to make this full priced game a lazy remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    So after a lot of critics I decided to write some small honest review about WC3R, without any blind hatred and parroting other youtubers..
    I love that this is what you just keep saying to everyone that gives it a bad score. Because nobody can possibly think a game is worse than what you think it is without them being "blind haters" or "parroting other youtubers."

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Warcraft 3 is to me one of the best games ever. I do have reforged and I must say I was a bit surprised when I heard the complaints, I thought it was going to be a straight up remastered WC3 with updated graphics. And that it is :P
    Agreed, it's everything I expected to get when I bought an updated version of WC3. Because I got exactly what I was looking for, I'll rate it honestly at 9/10. 10 would have required the updated content they were talking about previously, but I'm okay without it too. More time to focus on WoW before SL releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    I love that this is what you just keep saying to everyone that gives it a bad score. Because nobody can possibly think a game is worse than what you think it is without them being "blind haters" or "parroting other youtubers."

lol
    But that is the reality. Giving this game a score lower than 5/10 is being a troll. Maybe if someone experienced excruciating pain due to bugs I would say 4/10.
    To me, people complain because they did expect Warcraft 4.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    But that is the reality.
    No, it's not.

You just were forgiving on a game whose franchise you are biased towards.

That's the reality. Your entire "review" is just a thinly veiled post that shits on people that weren't as forgiving of the shit aspects of this broken game.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2020-02-17 at 05:53 AM.

No, it's not.

You just were forgiving on a game whose franchise you are biased towards.

That's the reality. Your entire "review" is just a thinly veiled post that shits on people that weren't as forgiving of the shit aspects of this broken game.
    ZERO bias. I am not attached to franchise at all. Your assumption is biased as you do not know me.
    You are yet another dude that didn't even play the game and is parroting what other say since you never said any argument.

When in doubt, call everybody who has a different opinion than you haters and liars lol.

When in doubt, call everybody who has a different opinion than you haters and liars lol.
    When in doubt parrot what other say because you never played the game so jumping hatewagon is the thing that cool kids do.

I love that you get to just decide I haven't played it because I'm not biased like you who is willing to forgive it being a garbagefire.

There will always be people who give something far more credit than it deserves and that's why companies continue getting away with it.

This may be honest, but it sure as hell isn't objective.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    This may be honest, but it sure as hell isn't objective.
    Objective review is an oxymoron. But I explained my thought process unlike some other people.

lol
    Because giving the game a full-on ZERO simply because of "broken promises" is nowhere near a fair score, and shows that those that rate it like that are unable and/or unwilling to keep their emotions from clouding their objectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Because giving the game a full-on ZERO simply because of "broken promises" is nowhere near a fair score, and shows that those that rate it like that are unable and/or unwilling to keep their emotions from clouding their objectivity.
    I never said the game deserved a zero. However the OP was bashing a ton of people in the megathread by directly claiming they were all lying, had never played the game, and/or were just repeating what they heard "a youtuber" say.

But please tell me how his "review," which is filled with attacks on some strawman group of people, wasn't just an excuse to smear people some more.

I never said the game deserved a zero. However the OP was bashing a ton of people in the megathread by directly claiming they were all lying, had never played the game, and/or were just repeating what they heard "a youtuber" say.

But please tell me how his "review," which is filled with attacks on some strawman group of people, wasn't just an excuse to smear people some more.
    Because vast majority of pseudo opinions doesn't hold a candle, no thought process was explained and people gave zero because of what? Missing couple of online features that are suppose to be added in near feature and missing cinematics? Early bugs that were/are being fixed? That is exactly what it means to be a sheep.

And exactly why professional reviews are far better to read in this case.

Not gonna parrot other youtubers. Instead, i'm just gonna parrot all the Metacritics -you

Quote Originally Posted by Madscientist View Post
    Not gonna parrot other youtubers. Instead, i'm just gonna parrot all the Metacritics -you
    No. Everything is explained here why I gave such score. Is it hard to read and understand the written though process?
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2020-02-17 at 07:01 AM.

Ladder, stats and profiles removed from Battle.Net

This is not Warcraft 3, this is a travesty

Your opinion doesn't matter. The thing you like the most is from the original WC3, which got shit on by the Reforged. Not only that, but you are clearly not capable of using the 1-10 scale, considering you said
    1. That the plot is scattered as whole and stupid at some point
    2. That the gameplay controls are not good
    3. You did not like some of the graphics
    4. You encountered a game-breaking bug which took 3 days to solve

Now, the rating of any remaster is only dependent on what it adds to the original game. The hero system you liked so much? That is stolen, its value goes to WC3, not Reforged. What does reforged add? Broken multiplayer, broken custom games, game-breaking bugs. And you value this addition so much that you say 6.5, meaning VERY GOOD?