Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    "Baseline" 27" Mac comes with:
    3.1 GHz quad-core i5
    2560x1440 27" IPS monitor
    4 GB RAM (easily expandable, there's a tray at the bottom of the computer, if you have a screwdriver you can upgrade it, instructions for this procedure are in the manual).
    1 TB disk (a bit small but the easy solution to this is to use network storage (as I do) or USB or thunderbolt drive (depending on your performance demands), the harder solution is to pop it open and replace the drive or use the second drive bay for another disk)
    Radeon HD 6770M

EDIT: And this is a machine that hasn't been refreshed in around 270 days so it's due for a refresh soon.
    EDIT2: And as I've stated elsewhere in this thread, if someone asked me about buying an iMac right now I'd tell them to wait as the next model is bound to be right around the corner.

I never mocked people who build their own computers, I was mocking the "build it yourself or ur a n00b" crowd who seem to think that buying a computer pre-assembled is a sign of incompetence and doubly so if the computer you buy is a Mac.
    And the point people are making is that you get stuck with a second rate video card with no option for a different type or brand, no option for an ssd or even space really, or a second drive etc. If people want to buy them for aesthetics then that is great but it is still an inferior machine for a higher price, it is kind of the equivelent of buying mid tier american sedans a decade ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumpost View Post
    I'm sure there's a country somewhere in Africa where those are considered impressive specs.
    You left out my edits but I understand why, it undermines your snarky reply.

Also, how many users on mmo-champ have anywhere near a 27" IPS monitor? I'm guessing the majority have a 20-23" TN monitor. For some people the form factor and monitor combined by themselves has a huge value.

Buying a pre-assembled computer, whether it's Apple or anything else, is a sign of (Check all that apply):

- being too rich to care about such mundane things
    - being dumb

Regardless of whether you're buying sony, toshiba, apple, dell or whatever, when you're buying a pre-assembled computer, you're letting someone else choose what's right for you (and don't give me that bs about "those are the exact components I wouldn't chosen, intel hd with shared ram, omg, so great!"). It's not just about paying through the nose for assembling it (which takes like 15 minutes, really, at most). It's about freely giving up your right to choose and accepting shit for your hard-earned (or stolen) euro.

Sure, you have the right to give up and you have the right to get f'ed, BUT, if you do, don't expect anyone to value your opinion. In fact, just give up the right to an opinion as well, it's better for everyone involved.
    So you argument boils down to "U no agree? U dumb"?

You nailed it, you won't get anything better from that kind of people.
    Kind of sad there aren't that many people who actually know anything on the topic and understand there is space for different kind of usages :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    Stating your opinion is one thing. Telling people they are stupid and cramming said opinion down our throats and people should do what you "educate" them to do are 2 different things.
    I already did try Apple, they said they are very happy to not have you as a customer
    Well, gee, it seems I'm happy and Apple is happy, it's just you that aren't too happy about it. Grow up.

You left out my edits but I understand why, it undermines your snarky reply.

Also, how many users on mmo-champ have anywhere near a 27" IPS monitor? I'm guessing the majority have a 20-23" TN monitor. For some people the form factor and monitor combined by themselves has a huge value.
    I use 2 23" Samsung full hd monitors, just because I'm used to it from work.
    Don't need nor plan to use a bigger monitor. If I did, I certainly wouldn't settle for 27".

My argument boils down to "u no know computers, y u try so hard to have an opinion about them, then, can't you see it's hurting you?"

Deleted
    I'm sure there's a country somewhere in Africa where those are considered impressive specs.

Buying a pre-assembled computer, whether it's Apple or anything else, is a sign of (Check all that apply):

- being too rich to care about such mundane things
    - being dumb

Regardless of whether you're buying sony, toshiba, apple, dell or whatever, when you're buying a pre-assembled computer, you're letting someone else choose what's right for you (and don't give me that bs about "those are the exact components I wouldn't chosen, intel hd with shared ram, omg, so great!"). It's not just about paying through the nose for assembling it (which takes like 15 minutes, really, at most). It's about freely giving up your right to choose and accepting shit for your hard-earned (or stolen) euro.

Sure, you have the right to give up and you have the right to get f'ed, BUT, if you do, don't expect anyone to value your opinion. In fact, just give up the right to an opinion as well, it's better for everyone involved.
    So take the average consumer that has no clue about tech specs or where to go look and have a blank look on their face when you say just Google that. You think it's going to take like 15 mins for them to assemble? I'm thinking hours to even work out what components work with each other before ordering and likely screwing that up, to have all the parts arrive and realize they don't own a screw driver, to some how hours later turning it on and fingers crossed it doesn't have smoke come out the grill, to then start installing an OS. Man the issues keep mounting.
    For some people it is far cheaper and less hassle buying a pre-built machine. Your a technical person, most of the people in world who own a computer are not!

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like apple, I can't stand macs and I think tablets are pointless.

I love the iPhone though, had the same one for the last 4 years and it is still going strong.

Deleted
    Your a technical person, most of the people in world who own a computer are not!
    Amazing how they insist thinking their opinion on the subject matters, then, isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    I'm posting this comment on a Windows 7 PC and within arms reach is my Nexus S, iPod Touch and Macbook.
    He is a "hateboy" lol, can't accept iPhones are actually well designed phones with only a limited set of drawbacks that normally pertain to Apple's desire to monopolise the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Hard to compare like that when you can't use Lion on normal pc, only mac comp with overpriced parts.
    Wow what an awesome rebuttal.
    It's a direct comparison of OS upgrades and tbh many people on this forum could run Lion on a "normal" pc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElementalThreat View Post
    This is why more game companies need to support Macs.
    Negative...

If your company wants to be able to make changes to their computers, go PC. If your company just wants to e-mail each other, then I suppose Macs will work.

To be fair to Microsoft, they got trust-busted back in the 90s, so we have no idea what kind of company they would be today had that not happened. It's very possible that Apple will be getting trust-busted in the very near future as well.
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

Deleted
    Well, gee, it seems I'm happy and Apple is happy, it's just you that aren't too happy about it. Grow up.

I use 2 23" Samsung full hd monitors, just because I'm used to it from work.
    Don't need nor plan to use a bigger monitor. If I did, I certainly wouldn't settle for 27".

My argument boils down to "u no know computers, y u try so hard to have an opinion about them, then, can't you see it's hurting you?"
    No your not happy, which is why you're here constantly cramming your opinion down everyone's throats. That's why I'm unhappy. I don't care what you buy, apple, dell, build your own - and I'm happy that you don't like apple - that's fine. I don't need you telling me I'm stupid if I decided to do something that doesn't agree with your model of the world
    Last edited by mmocd5d157df95; 2012-01-26 at 12:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tennesseej View Post
    Negative...

If your company wants to be able to make changes to their computers, go PC. If your company just wants to e-mail each other, then I suppose Macs will work.

To be fair to Microsoft, they got trust-busted back in the 90s, so we have no idea what kind of company they would be today had that not happened. It's very possible that Apple will be getting trust-busted in the very near future as well.
    Microsoft barely got a slap on the wrist and this was when they abused the fact that they had a 90+% market share when it came to desktop operating systems which made them a de facto monopoly.

By comparison Apple has nowhere near a monopoly.

BTW, Microsoft's market share when it comes to desktop operating systems is still in the high 80's or low 90's depending on what stats you look at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    Like I said, where things get trickier, is that you also have to take in account the software differences, the OS and running applications. And this is why there can be HUGE differences for the same hardware, depending on HOW this hardware is exploited.
    Sure, the look and feel is different.

Computing performance-wise? You're fooling yourself if you believe Apple's 'magic sauce' makes its systems superior in that regard.

ETA: And if performance is not your main concern, you shouldn't buy a 12-core system in the first place.
    Last edited by mmoc853b96da04; 2012-01-26 at 12:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's an insane amount of of money. How the hell are they going to spend all that Dough? Maybe they should just build a giant laser and etch the apple logo into the moon or something.

Deleted
    Amazing how they insist thinking their opinion on the subject matters, then, isn't it.
    In much the same way you think your opinion matters you mean?
    The internets full of experts and, sorry to burst your bubble here, your opinion carries as much weight as theirs do

10+ Year Old Account

BTW, Microsoft's market share when it comes to desktop operating systems is still in the high 80's or low 90's depending on what stats you look at.
    Would that imply that Apple has a higher margin on their products?
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    Haxartus, there is no shame in admitting you are wrong and make yourself look better in the process than reasoning "oh but it's still supported".
    what exactly is it that you want flash for on your mobile? youtube? HTML5. Vimeo? HTML5. dailymotion? soon-to-be HTML5.
    A lot of not so popular sites that still support flash and won't even work without it.
    There are a lot of "why do you even want that ?" with Apple products. Well, because the competition have it and if I will be paying the same or a higher price, I expect to have it too..
    I can't think of a single thing that I can do with an iPhone but I can't do with a Galaxy Nexus, while there are a lot of things that you can do with the Nexus that the iPhone restricts you from doing, and Apple threatens to remove you warranty if you even try it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-01-26 at 12:43 PM.

Deleted
    No your not happy
    I'm unhappy
    I don't care
    I'm happy
    I don't need you telling me I'm stupid
    nnnyes, clearly.

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 02:43 PM ----------

In much the same way you think your opinion matters you mean?
    The internets full of experts and, sorry to burst your bubble here, your opinion carries as much weight as theirs do
    Sure, if we're talking about curing cancer, then my opinion carries as much weight as theirs.

If we're talking computers, then I was using slackware in 94 and I'm a network manager. I built every single computer I ever owned since 94.

I don't expect a prize, a medal or anything, but as long as I'm not the moron that has to pay 2000 to someone for 10 minutes of working with screws, I kinda doubt "their opinion" carries as much weight, for obvious reasons.

You see, as you so well put it, the internet is full of experts and a lot of them can and will help you build a computer FREE OF CHARGE.

Now, if you're (as opposed to your) a dumbass and have to pay 2000 over it, then that's your god given right. Just don't come here (or anywhere else) and demand respect for it. Don't ask anyone to value your opinion and don't act like you CHOSE to pay those 2000, although you could've done it yourself.

I think we both know you'd rather have kept the money, but couldn't. That's also fine, but you're not getting any credit for it.
    Last edited by mmocd5fac6a647; 2012-01-26 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Hardware isn't everything. OS X and the design of the laptop also comes into account.
    desing is uber fail...
    Firstly when you open your lid you block air exhaust in macbook which increases chances of overheating
    Secondly laptop itself is built so that if you spill any water on it by accident, it will be lead to places on motherboard which will in 90% of cases kill your laptop.
    glossy screens also are shit. They look nice but in sunlight you can wipe your ass with them and they would even fail at that...

Design might be nice for the eye (if some1 likes simple silver brick) but from functional point of view its bullshit that is designed to drain money from repairs.

Honestly, I used to be just like you. Then I got a free itouch at a holiday party 1 year ago. My mind was blown by how awesome and easy to use it was. I eventually ended up buying an imac as my primary computer, and it works great; without a doubt the simplest computer I've ever had, never crashes, and runs every game at 60+ FPS on max settings at 2560x1440.

Honestly, stop living in 2002, and go into 2012. And at least try the products before bashing them.
    try pulling more numbers out of your ass, maybe it will increase your credibility...

go into 2012? you mean go for anything that ever prevents you from using brain? just like wow and almost ever game is made? for person with some kind of brain damage?

Let me give you 1 example. some time ago, on this very forums, was a guy asking for advice what laptop he should chose. He was torn between macbook and some other laptop. His reasoning behind getting macbook over the other laptop was "on macbook i would have all programs im gonna need installed while on other laptop i would have to find them and dl myself". The guy was ready to pay nearly double price in order to not have to spend 30 minutes (tops) on looking for programs he needs and installing them. And before you tell me that his time is important to him, then shot yourself in the head to make humanity a favor, because that argument would only be true if he would earn like 1k$ in 30 minutes...
    This whole situation is like buying a car and pay double price just so you dont ahve to change tyres yourself when winter comes...
    If you tell me that this is smart thing to do then seriously... just shot yourself in the head and make humanity and democracy a favor...

Bottom line is.
    Apple makes good products, granted, but they are nowhere near the quality they should have for their price.
    Imacs arent anything special (just like all other all in 1 pcs), macbooks arent special in any way either, ipod popularity still makes me wonder whats so amazing about it. Its mp3/mp4 player with no extraordinary features other than too high price. But im assuming that people using itunes prefer ipods. Ipads arent anything amazing either, in fact theya re inferior to some of their competition and are more expensive than this competition aswell. Ios here isnt benefit either as there is more apps on android and better ones at the same time.iPhone 4 is inferior to galaxy s2 and iphone 4s is inferior to galaxy s note, where samsung offerings are cheaper and again android>ios considering apps.

Deleted
    If we're talking computers, then I was using slackware in 94 and I'm a network manager. I built every single computer I ever owned since 94.
    How nice, personally I'm a software developer and I've had an active interest in computers and electronics since I was eight years old (as I stated earlier in the thread my first computer was an SVI-328 with 64 kB of RAM). I've been both a helldesk monkey and a sysadmin (for a load-balanced Linux cluster to be specific) in the past. Like you I have been using Linux since the mid-90s. So, by extending your appeal to authority argument my opinion should be worth as much as yours.