View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. This poll is closed
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

56 20.82%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's pretty hard to notice the difference between 100mpbs and 1gbps because most sites don't support anywhere near that speed.
    Bollocks, it's 2012, not 1995 anymore. Most services that you use high speed for can deliver it perfectly fine, usenet peers laugh about serving a 1gbit uplink. Same with most video content which is widely served through akamai, etc.

Deleted
    100/100 at ~20$/month suffices. Though I'd never get this google shit in Sweden even if I wanted.

I would love to get this. I wonder how long it will take for Google to spread the fiber.
    If nothing else this would make downloading games through steam and patching my mmo's a lot faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Bollocks, it's 2012, not 1995 anymore. Most services that you use high speed for can deliver it perfectly fine, usenet peers laugh about serving a 1gbit uplink. Same with most video content which is widely served through akamai, etc.
    Have you actually used a gigabit connection ? The only way to utilize it fully is to download several files at the same time. Yes, most services can support it, but they limit the speed on purpose.

Deleted
    Not sure if you anyone has posted it yet, but you guy's should be aware of the difference between bit and byte. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But "b" equals bit and "B" equals byte. Now there are 8 bit's in a byte. Therefor 1Gbps is about 120MegaByte/sec. Which is amazingly fast. But don't expect to get 1GigaByte/sec, you'll get 1Gigabit/sec. Unless they state it otherwise and it clearly say's GigaByte,

A lot of people wonder why with a 40Mbps speed test download, they only get 5MB/sec max.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because everyone seems to be doing this...

As a multi-tab browser and picky gamer, I consider my internet fast. I can download anything I want aside from gigs of games and video at an acceptable speed. No waiting 5+ minutes for albums or patches.

That being said, I'm paying a shit-ton for my bandwith usage. $70 is already half the price I pay if I DON'T go crazy on cable.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Have you actually used a gigabit connection ? The only way to utilize it fully is to download several files at the same time. Yes, most services can support it, but they limit the speed on purpose.
    Yes i have actually used gigabit connections, among the slower ones that i used (something funny about being a sysadmin for an ISP), and what you say is nonsense. 30 secs of googling shows me legion of usenet peers who deliver 1 gbps.
    It's also about connection quality, akamai won't throttle your HD video stream so they just throw the max you need to watch it at you, with a 1gbit connection this just means your video will never interrupt cause you can prebuffer that much faster than with a slower connection. How can they do this? they use a technique called caching, they cach lots and lots of content in different datacenters around the world, and those datacenters have multiple tiered connections that can together handle few terabits per second, even petabits for the main routes (now think about how much of a joke 1 gbit is).

Quote Originally Posted by Gingercrab View Post
    I pay for 16 mbps with Bell Canada and I get..
    Doesn't bell only offer mobile-format-equivalent internet for home purposes? Might just be my area. Rogers is the same crap and Telus is a complete gouge for land line internet service (their Optik high speed doesn't even qualify as broadband in some parts of the country but they still sell it at the same price nationwide). Shaw is pretty good, but not exactly cheap either.

Google internet would be great up here, but our laws are protectionist and anticompetitive so communications companies collude to set high prices for terrible service. Somehow that preserves our heritage (ask the government).

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    That speed is for businesses mainly! You would more likely be steeling music or videos to need that. Its overkill for streaming video!! I pay 24.99 for 20 megs at comcast!!

Quote Originally Posted by NETTN View Post
    Not sure if you anyone has posted it yet, but you guy's should be aware of the difference between bit and byte. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But "b" equals bit and "B" equals byte. Now there are 8 bit's in a byte. Therefor 1Gbps is about 120MegaByte/sec. Which is amazingly fast. But don't expect to get 1GigaByte/sec, you'll get 1Gigabit/sec. Unless they state it otherwise and it clearly say's GigaByte,

A lot of people wonder why with a 40Mbps speed test download, they only get 5MB/sec max.
    I think the industry standard has moved toward bits (consumers see bigger numbers, service hasn't changed) and google states gigabit explicitly on the page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not available where I live

10+ Year Old Account
    i know im from europe but seriously i pay 70$ per month for this connection where i live. if it ever came here i would buy instantly XD

Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgena View Post
    That speed is for businesses mainly! You would more likely be steeling music or videos to need that. Its overkill for streaming video!! I pay 24.99 for 20 megs at comcast!!
    I pay 24.99 for 20 megs at comcast!!
    24.99 for 20 megs
    20 megs
    lol. 20. megs.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    I pay less for my 100 Mbit internet than for my monthly wow sub ( 10 dollars or so ). 10 MBps download and upload speed is more than enough for me.
    So no google internet for me thank you very much. Besides, I doubt it will ever come in my country.

I could use these download rates for big patches and downloading games, mods, etc. I wouldn't constantly be using all of it, but it would be there and be extremely useful when I needed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Well, I want the freedom to put poison in food and sell it to anyone I want and call it sugar. It's my freedom to do so, so you can't tell me no.

1 gbps, holy fucking shit, if i could have 100 mbps i would be stoked.
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

If it was available where I am, I would be all over that. I pay $80 US, to get 20 mb/s..

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    It's also about connection quality, akamai won't throttle your HD video stream so they just throw the max you need to watch it at you, with a 1gbit connection this just means your video will never interrupt cause you can prebuffer that much faster than with a slower connection.
    If that's your scale of measure, then you can't tell the difference between 100mbit and 1gbit. Both buffer fast enough for any HD video.

Chances are, if it ever came to where I lived... I probably wouldn't take it UNLESS it gave me access to things I don't have right now (such as Netflix or latest movie releases the moment they come out) without Tor or massive use of proxies.

I do have to brag, though.

I would have gotten the 150mbps I'm supposed to have, but fiancée's streaming a 1080p video on the other computer. I'm paying 27 eur (about 33usd) a month for that, so it's a pretty damn awesome deal. Also got a top of the line Cisco modem for free with it. No ISPs here have a BW limit either on cable internet.

Estonia's a great country to live in. Cheap electronics, no harsh anti piracy laws that require ISPs to spy on us/block our "bays" etc. That, and I live in a great area. Plus the bigger towns are mostly covered with free WiFi. Oh and I have an unlimited 3g on my smartphone for a fiver (my phone bills are about 9 eur a month). Do I make you want to live in Estonia yet?

While I highly doubt Google will ever provide Estonia with 1gbps internet, honestly, I think it would be a great competition for current providers. Internet just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and having the capability to host a lanparty with 10 people while providing them all with capability to stream 1080p at the same time... is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Most ppl dont even have 1gb ethernet cards
    Well it's wifi... and look at it like this you have say 1-2 desktops... 3-4 laptops.. tablets ipods that sort... throw in a xbox and a ps3 and you're using a lot. 100 for everyone and you're set

^Also america needs to get their shit together.... grade A in the us is like 15 mb/s
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.