Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'd say that's a matter of opinion, balancing your shuffle uptime making sure it stays running while using purifying brew right after the swing timer requires a bit of skill
    The thing with Brewmaster is that its very easy to play badly, and unfortunately it 9/10 times it shows in a big way

CD usage as a tank should be next to second nature anyway and not require any thought at all so I wouldn't really count that into the skill factor at all

If you have enough haste wich comes with gear you have tones of shuffle bufftime up. and can always PB after a hard hit. the REAL "problem" is the opening sequence and the prio you choose. but if you have another tank pull the boss, you can build up all your buffs and take over.

what i ment with the usage of the CDs is that you have much more stuff as a warrior then a monk.
    13/13

Monk

Deleted
    The monk's CD's are highly magic based, for any magic fight with big hits you can cheese alot with monk but yeah I agree that monk does really need one extra CD such as a last stand

Any tank can get the job done but I don't think I would play a monk tank for the same reason I no longer tank with my pally. Sheer ascetics. It's all personal opinion but would you rather

AOE
    a. Pirouette in little green circles
    b. Emit a ferocious roar that knocks back and stuns your enemies

Single target
    a. Punch and kick
    b. Smash faces with a big ole slab of stop it

Movement
    a. Somersault across the floor
    b. Charge recklessly into your opponent or perhaps leap through the air and cannonball into a group

Class balance is in a pretty good place right now, I would go with whichever class you have more fun with.

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Well, its a damage reduction tank which relies on consistent damage reduction, hence why its so strong for progression along with paladin
    Also they both have really nice raid CD's such as AM or Rally

The thing with brewmaster is it is so gear dependent for progression in the next tier you will need near full BiS from this tier to reach the point of being really strongly viable
    It's an avoidance tank by nature and that tends to mean inconsistency at low gear levels, trouble is... consistency is exactly what you need for progression

I'm 485 at the moment, so its not like I have bad gear. My issue is a lower effective health pool and trying to compensate for bad healers. Its not as if we're a heroic progression guild...which I suppose is the problem. I'm trying to compensate for weaker healers and the lack of cooldowns for an "Oh shit" moment really bugs me. We've got a Druid tank if we ever need one and I love the Warrior aesthetic vs. the Paladin (though I've got a Paladin already 90, its just a healer atm.).

Quote Originally Posted by siccora View Post
    The thing is, you will always be squishier then a warrior. i have a brewmaster 499–502 ilvl, very good gear, really and i have an alt prot warrior ilvl 476.
    all my healers are happier with the warrior. princess add phase is a piece of cake compared to the brewmaster. but for me, brewmaster is more fun. you do very much dps, have a high aggro, self heal and the raid heal is good. so now i'm stuck between those two classes.
    it's really hard to make a decision.

to add something about brewmasters and "skill" there is nothing to it. people making it up because GC said so. there is no "more or less" skill dependence with that class. you have 3 skills to look after. all the other stuff is situational. look at the energy bar, look at your chi, gaining chi with jab and keg, spend you chi for Blackout Kick, have your 30 sec. tiger buff up and use elusive brew when you need it. thats all. i think, with all that CD stuff a prot warrior does have there is more stuff to look at.
    It is a lot of fun, but besides holding off Guard for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, its just the lack of cooldowns to take this random big hits that seem to kill us. I feel like I'm handicapping the healers when I'd rather just try and move forward in raiding. Regardless I'm leveling the Warrior for PVP but the actual kit of a Prot warrior does look enticing but I haven't been able to find a good forecast of the tanking classes going into 5.2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgive me if this has been asked/mentioned already, but how important is weapon speed to Prot? Say I had the option of using a 2.6 hit/exp weapon or a 2.7 hit/crit (or haste/exp) weapon, which should I choose? I can cap both hit and expertise via reforging, but would it be better to get more mastery and use the 2.6? Purely from a DPS perspective, survival isn't an issue in the content I'm doing (sub 90)

Slower weapons = harder hits, I don't really think it will be ground breaking what the weapon speed is, more so how the weapon is itemized and the dps on them.
    Probably the biggest thing that rppm trinkets include is the feelings of rage and joy of an unstable bi-polar person when your dps sways back and forth faster than a pregnant woman's emotions.

armory - retired

Deleted
    Ideally, the slower the better... its not massive though

10+ Year Old Account
    So hit + exp 2.6 would be better than 2.7 hit/crit or haste/exp in order to pick up more mastery or avoidances?

I guess it comes down to stamina values, afaik the dps is identical (equal ilevel), but the damage is higher on the 2.7s (as expected)

Quote Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
    So hit + exp 2.6 would be better than 2.7 hit/crit or haste/exp in order to pick up more mastery or avoidances?

I guess it comes down to stamina values, afaik the dps is identical (equal ilevel), but the damage is higher on the 2.7s (as expected)
    What are the weapons in question?
    Probably the biggest thing that rppm trinkets include is the feelings of rage and joy of an unstable bi-polar person when your dps sways back and forth faster than a pregnant woman's emotions.

armory - retired

Deleted
    ...Did I just jump the shark, or are we actually posting in the Monk thread? Because all of those 1H weapons are Agility, which is about the second-least useful stat for a Strength tank. For level 80, I'd recommend the ICC heroic 1h weapons that drop from the Scourgelord in Pit and Falric in Halls of Reflection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    ...Did I just jump the shark, or are we actually posting in the Monk thread? Because all of those 1H weapons are Agility, which is about the second-least useful stat for a Strength tank. For level 80, I'd recommend the ICC heroic 1h weapons that drop from the Scourgelord in Pit and Falric in Halls of Reflection.
    1.6 vs 2.6. I'm primarily after damage, not survival. The wotlk str tank weapons are awful because of that speed.

As far as the prot warrior forcast for 5.2, IMO its looking pretty good. No real major changes to the spec that I've seen and our mitigation will continue to scale really well with gear (bieng able to keep more mastery while maintianing hit/exp cap). My only concern is that classes like monks and pallies with have more haste which is both a mitigation AND damage increase for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
    1.6 vs 2.6. I'm primarily after damage, not survival. The wotlk str tank weapons are awful because of that speed.
    I'd probably go with Caress tbh.

armory - retired

Deleted
    Mongoose, warriors scale better with Vengeance, even after the SS Rev scaling nerfs (are they even nerfs?)

I know this is probably a newbie question and I don't doubt your answer, but why is it that warriors scale better with vengeance? More AP based abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose6 View Post
    I know this is probably a newbie question and I don't doubt your answer, but why is it that warriors scale better with vengeance? More AP based abilities?
    Some classes have more abilities that have multipliers based on Ap or SP. For instance Ele Shamans have very little while mages have huge multipliers. It goes the same for tanks. The more our abilities are based on AP the better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Mongoose, warriors scale better with Vengeance, even after the SS Rev scaling nerfs (are they even nerfs?)
    Well, revenge was [ 3,739 + 70% of AP ], on 5.2 is [ 9,348 + 64% of AP ]. It breaks even at 93483 AP. Shield Slam was [ 4,677 + 132% of AP ], in 5.2 is [ 11,216 + 120% of AP ], it breaks even at 54491 AP. They are both nerfs, considering that even offtanking, thanks to intervene, you have more AP than that (don't forget to account for str AP, not only vengeance). Granted, 5 mans will see them as buffs, but even in normal raids it's a nerf. A good, heavy nerf. I hope 5.2 bosses give from 200k to 700k vengeance each to justify nerfing the tank that was not in the best position of either aoe or single target damage.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2013-02-16 at 10:42 AM.

Deleted
    I really doubt that. Even while advancing to crit-block-cap eating damage equal to 200k vengeance (Mel'Jarak) leaves almost no space for other mechanics besides pure tank damage. Let alone talk about 600k vengeance (Shek'zeer) when you're always on the edge of dying.

And don't forget that not only they're going to nerf our offense but also our defense (shield barrier absorb) in the process of adjustments. What i don't get about it: why those nerfs to us when prot paladin are beating us in terms of dps and healing on basically all fights due to gearing for haste? Oh, apropo - gearing for haste... with the +100% benefit of haste on the ptr i guess we won't see a way to make it work for prot, will we?

Other topic: anyone else got aggro problems versus really good monks? On aggro sensitive fights with tank swaps i've some serious problems, feels like the issues on Chimaeron versus Blood DKs all over again. But i'm not to sure if it's their strong healing done (modified by tank-stance) or just their already rather high amount of offensive stats.