Poll: Would you like interactive weather?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Weather condition should affect health? (plus ideas)

Simply as the title says (but not only negatively!).

Example:

Very cold area:
    1) -10% movement speed
    2) no basic health regeneration
    3) -10% attack speed
    4) +20% armor
    5) flying mounts unavailable

Very warm area:
    1) +20% energy/mana cost
    2) +10% attack speed
    3) +10% damage taken
    4) +20% bleeding debuff duration (on self as-well)

Swampy area:
    1) losing 1% hp every 10 seconds (ground contact only)
    2) no health regeneration
    3) -10% healing received.

and so on, many more ideas can be easily invented. They sounds real anyway.

For a Sandbox MMO like Heave & Hearth or Salem it'll be really cool. For Wow no way, thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    It seems a bit too, over the top to work in the whole world. Maybe confining it to a large BG would be an idea.
    Just a condition affecting a whole map area. I don't see it particularly hard.
    Buff/Debuff mechanics (aura mode)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would work better in a Single Player RPG like Skyrim. Just doesn't really fit except in gimmicky situations (like quests).

Deleted
    Wow, no. I just wish the weather system could be revisited. Like it hardly ever rains, snows, in any continent nowadays. As if since it was launched they chronically reduced weather system. I think it brings a lot of immersion to the table

Deleted
    Weather interractions - yes.

Your ideas - no.

Voted 'yes!' tho.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    While it's a cool idea, I don't think many people might enjoy it and pvp'ers will find it as a way to gank with the advantages given. It might fit better a Singleplayer RPG actually.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    If wow was like fallout yeah that would be pretty neat

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see it working in a raid, but it would be too much of an irritant in world.

Deleted
    No, people would just avoid certain zones

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're on to something good but I think there's a line between adding immersion and then just outright hindering people for the hell of it. A lot of these cross that line.
    They are certainly better suited to single player RPG games. They actually remind me a lot of radiation spots in Fallout.
    Butts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    No, people would just avoid certain zones
    Not if you are "forced" to go there for some reasons. And I think you wouldn't dislike to have permanent debuffs/buffs in that area. For me, it makes the game more various with additional features and adds new feelings to the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    Not if you are "forced" to go there for some reasons. And I think you wouldn't dislike to have permanent debuffs/buffs in that area. For me, it makes the game more various with additional features and adds new feelings to the world.
    no thanks, i don't want to have to be 'forced' to quest in a certain zone, especially if they are giving me certain debuffs

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting idea, but it really doesn't fit the WoW game model. It would be a nightmare for the developers to balance.

An alternative would be Day/Night cycles making world enemies stronger during night cycles. It was one of the things I loved about original EQ with Kithicor Forest. Typically we can stroll through any zone without much danger. Increasing that danger based on time of day would be fun and add a new element to the game.
    Last edited by Scinder; 2013-11-29 at 03:17 PM.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    Interesting idea, but it really doesn't fit the WoW game model. It would be a nightmare for the developers to balance.

An alternative would be Day/Night cycles making world enemies stronger during night cycles. It was one of the things I loved about original EQ with Kithicor Forest. Typically we can stroll through any zone without much danger. Increasing that danger based on time of day would be fun and add a new element to the game.
    This sounds very cool. Would love something like this in WoW.
    Butts.

having randomly generated buffs would be annoying. random long-term reduce speed is a big nono

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    This sounds very cool. Would love something like this in WoW.
    It was great. When you zoned in and it was night you may see a group of 10-15 adventurers waiting for the day cycle to kick in to make the run across the zone and then you had the group that braved the night, mounted up and moved as fast as you could through the zone with groups shouting out which mob types were agro'd to various locations. Made for some great and fun memories. Also made for some harsh corpse runs sometimes haha.

-10% moving speed when raining/snowing and -20% flying speed when storm of any kind (thunder/snow/sand) would be the maximum to be not too annoying to me.

I think it will slow down gaming...... lets say I wanna do Timeless Isle. I log in and it is snowing or very cold... what will I do? log out and wait?
    I don't think it would work in wow.

Deleted
    I am all for immersion, but that there is just a debuff for being somewhere at a certain time. It is too blatant and obvious to not see through immediately.

However, I think that you could improve on the ideas of a straight up debuff. So for example if you are in a snowy zone, your character lift his legs higher up to traverse through the snow (and has a small debuff), in rain they'll cover their head and maybe in combat there is 1 % for a disarm because of the water making your hands slippery, in hot and warm areas your character stacks fatigue (not the ingame invisible wall form) and the longer you stay out the less mana, stamina, focus etc. you have at your disposal.

See that would be a little more immersive, but I still don't like the idea. A game like WoW I feel it needs to be a constant speed and not debuff you for immersion.