Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edoran View Post
    Honestly, this is the reason I respecced DPS when I recently returned to the game. Not because I'm scared of abuse or hurt feelings, but because I didn't want to explain that it was my first time doing x boss or deal with rage and being kicked. DPS is more forgiving.
    i think its pretty pathetic the community acts the way it does. Kicking you cause you communicate and are open about your first time learning an encounter.

disgusting behavior for an mmo
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i think its pretty pathetic the community acts the way it does. Kicking you cause you communicate and are open about your first time learning an encounter.

disgusting behavior for an mmo
    Not researching the fights and just expecting somebody else to know them is disgusting behavior. How would LFR function if nobody knew the kill order for Paragons? Somebody came prepared, to show up unprepared is a dick move

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Not researching the fights and just expecting somebody else to know them is disgusting behavior. How would LFR function if nobody knew the kill order for Paragons? Somebody came prepared, to show up unprepared is a dick move
    You might be reading into it wrongly. Someone can still be a 1st time tank to an encounter but has researched the fight. Theres a huge difference between knowing a fight on paper to actually knowing it.

I've had to go into an LFR with some video guides and the dungeon journal, had a proper look before going in. Then when I begin I did state I had read the tactics but its my 1st time tanking it so apologies for any mistakes should they happen. If people rage over that then frankly they're not worth playing with.

If someone just jumps into LFR with no idea and has not at least tried to look at the journal I could agree its sloppy and can get some stick for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a little naive to assume people only kick others who are unprepared or underperforming. Most want the quickest run possible, so if you admit it's your first time (whether you've researched or not) you aren't an optimal tank for THEM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a little naive to assume people only kick others who are unprepared or underperforming. Most want the quickest run possible, so if you admit it's your first time (whether you've researched or not) you aren't an optimal tank for THEM.
    exactly this. It doesn't matter if you've researched. People just kick willy nilly if they think you will slow them down.
    Hi

The problem is that LFR isn't considered 'real raiding', yet players still expect tanks to treat it as such. You can't strut into LFR SoO ungemmed, unenchanted and unprepared. It's this general, constantly mentioned mantra that creates the players who think they don't need to research fights and that you can just wing everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    The absolutely best way (if available to you) is to get a friend to tank with you, get on some sort of voice com and have him guide you along.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templis View Post
    The problem is that LFR isn't considered 'real raiding', yet players still expect tanks to treat it as such. You can't strut into LFR SoO ungemmed, unenchanted and unprepared. It's this general, constantly mentioned mantra that creates the players who think they don't need to research fights and that you can just wing everything.
    Yet I'd venture to say the vast majority of LFR groups have anywhere from 7-12 players missing gems or enchants. But a good player who does research, has their gear optimized, and has every intent of trying their hardest can be booted for admitting it's their first time doing their role in a given instance.

Watch some youtube videos of the bosses to get a feel for them, read up on the "tank" specific mechanics so you know whats happening when it happens.
    If you have a friend/guildy who is a tank who doesnt mind going with you that could talk you through stuff as you go, that would be a great help.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet I'd venture to say the vast majority of LFR groups have anywhere from 7-12 players missing gems or enchants. But a good player who does research, has their gear optimized, and has every intent of trying their hardest can be booted for admitting it's their first time doing their role in a given instance.
    Good ole' LFR

Deleted
    in LFR, it doesnt matter how good you play, or how well geared you are, the dps will stand in the same place dpsing, and when they die, will inevitable blame the healers or the tanks, you cant escape this, so just queue, and dont worry about it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but this is pretty sorry excuse. "I'm not confident tanking?" what? It's literally the easiest role to do... I think the idea of being the tank and leading the charge is intimidating you more than the actual experience. Trust me, when you go in and start doing your rotation, you'll be fine. LFR is already easy, so top that w/ tanking which is the easiest, there's no real worry. If you happen to lose threat when they already buffed threat by 500%, then you seriously need to read up on your class... but assuming you know the basics, you should be fine. Stop over thinking it and just go in. Make sure you read up on the fights and learn them from a tank perspective.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    The absolutely best way (if available to you) is to get a friend to tank with you, get on some sort of voice com and have him guide you along.
    +1

exactly this, find a friend of yours, ask him to queue with you as tank (both), use ventrillo or any program and tell him to guide you the the fight.
    Thats the best ways to enter a LFR as tank

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is pretty sorry excuse. "I'm not confident tanking?" what? It's literally the easiest role to do..
    youre seriously gonna tell me tank is more easy then dps in LFR? i could afk 1 button attack in LFR as dps an still do acceptable dps..

Quote Originally Posted by Hughja View Post
    Hello all,

Am looking at Tanking in LFR Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar but am a bit dubious of it as I have seen the potential abuse that Tanks get and/or the just plain lack of Knowledge of fights and mechanics
    Learn up on how your tank functions, how the fights work, and have a friend who tanks run with you.

That's probably the easiest way to get used to LFR tanking and begin to be successful in that arena.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templis View Post
    Exactly this

I have never seen a tank who asks which adds they should pick up or how many stacks to taunt at kicked. Why? Because different groups handle it differently. What IS a problem is if you mention it's your first time, which suggest no prior knowledge, or asking something like "what do I do???"

People don't kick for shit like placin markers. They kick when the prep is going to take 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    in LFR, it doesnt matter how good you play, or how well geared you are, the dps will stand in the same place dpsing, and when they die, will inevitable blame the healers or the tanks, you cant escape this, so just queue, and dont worry about it
    If you can't carry a LFR you need to get better :P but really it's possible to do like 25% of boss damage and heal everybody alone.

I have never seen a tank who asks which adds they should pick up or how many stacks to taunt at kicked. Why? Because different groups handle it differently. What IS a problem is if you mention it's your first time, which suggest no prior knowledge, or asking something like "what do I do???"

People don't kick for shit like placin markers. They kick when the prep is going to take 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't carry a LFR you need to get better :P but really it's possible to do like 25% of boss damage and heal everybody alone.
    I still don't get how being someones 1st time can be a problem. If they took the time to look up the tactics and have a good idea on what they should be doing the group normally is OK with it. But group mentality being what it is i've seen people get really shitty when someone explains its their first time.

I've had plenty of off tanks whisper me asking me about certain fights as they have not done it before. I don't mind people asking as they might know the fight but still be unsure. I think sometimes some people are way too impatient in this game. I still remember shit in Vanilla where you could be waiting quite a few minutes between pulls in UBRS :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I still don't get how being someones 1st time can be a problem. If they took the time to look up the tactics and have a good idea on what they should be doing the group normally is OK with it. But group mentality being what it is i've seen people get really shitty when someone explains its their first time.

I've had plenty of off tanks whisper me asking me about certain fights as they have not done it before. I don't mind people asking as they might know the fight but still be unsure. I think sometimes some people are way too impatient in this game. I still remember shit in Vanilla where you could be waiting quite a few minutes between pulls in UBRS :/
    then all they have to do is not tell the raid its their first time tanking, problem solved. if they have read up on the fight before hand and done their research, then chances are they won't make a mistake during the boss fight because its LFR and its easy, and if they do make a mistake then its their own fault and if they get kicked then tough luck really, thats the way the LFR community is, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    then all they have to do is not tell the raid its their first time tanking, problem solved. if they have read up on the fight before hand and done their research, then chances are they won't make a mistake during the boss fight because its LFR and its easy, and if they do make a mistake then its their own fault and if they get kicked then tough luck really, thats the way the LFR community is, deal with it.
    Oh I know how it is, most people just whisper me when I was tanking and asked for stuff. Luckily 1st couple of weeks of a new LFR wing most people ask for tactics and no one gets bitched at (from what I saw when soo was released) that was pretty cool. But it is a shame that the mob mentality soon kicks in. Like I said I have only ever experienced on truly bad situation where I got abuse for it. It should not happen anyways but hey thats internet gaming so it is sadly part of the package. It is not just LFR community that acts this way its any game. Just try league of legends ¬_¬

Just look up the fights before you go in and whisper the other tank to coordinate. EZ
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Right click on your chat tab
    Make a window call in LFR
    Make everything you would normaly want to view "Guild, General, etc" except instance chat

Star LFR at early raids, Switch to LFR chat, Whisper other tank for info on when he wants you to switch.
    Enjoy LFR.