Thread: Gnome Hunters

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Of the various class/race combos still lacking, some ofthe biggest outcry comes for adding Shamans, Hunters, or Paladins to Gnomes. And I strongly believe the best possibility for a new Gnome class would be Shamans.

Between Warriors, DK's, and Monks, we don't really need another tanking-capable class, even if Holy-spec would lower a bit of demand on the Priests, so that sharply drops odds for Paladins, if not outright removes them from the running.

We totally lack any form of mail-using class whatsoever, so there's a big bonus in favor of Hunters and Shamans, if only for the sake of expanding transmog looks, LOL.

With only seven classes (the lowest amount of all races), three of which being pure-DPS types (rogues, mages, and warlocks), and two of those being ranged attackers, adding a fourth DPS-only ranged class to make fully half of our already-limited class choices pure-DPS seems all sorts of redundant. And while the small stature of our hated rivals, the Goblins, kills the jokes about "eaten by pet" and such, the truth is, we simply lack the subtle empathy needed to have animal companionship - why else would we rather build our pets and mounts instead of breed them? Either way, down go the Hunter odds.

As Shamans have Restoration spec, this would also expand the race's healing capabilities and raid versatility. Another mark in favor of Shamans.

And the finishing-blow is this: Goblins, with the mechanical "totems" and elemental-binding contracts, have proven it is possible to use technology (and their craftily-loopholed legalese trickery) to utilize the powers of the Elements without the typical spiritualism and worshipful reverence normally shown by the other races who have a Shaman class. And since Gnomes and Goblins have been rivals since literally the pre-WoW days, it makes perfect sense that there could be a group of Gnomes somewhere, studying the nature of the elemental powers and how to harness them, in what basically amounts to "anything you can do, I can do better".
    Plus, think of the benefits... Steampunk techno-totems! Trainers referred to as "Environmental Engineer"! GNOMISH CHAIN LIGHTNING! What's not to love?

Right now, the only two races with element-unique-model totems are both Horde - the trolls have different masks on each of theirs, while the Goblins have different fans and drills and such on theirs. All other races have a singular model with only different colors marking which element is which. That is obviously an unfair balance.

Gnomish totems could rival the Goblin ones in their mechanical goodness, and have potential to offer element-unique models for the Alliance side.

I propose tiny clockwork robo-totems! The Air totem-bot could have a winged jetpack. The Earth totem-bot could have tank treads. The Fire totem bot could have a flamethrower. The Water totem-bot could have scuba-gear.
    Thinking about it, it is not entirely implausible my ideas for elemental robots might resemble Mega Man villains. This is just an awesome bonus.
    Well this guy has me convinced.

- - - Updated - - -

If night elves can be mages, why are using lore as an argument at all?
    WTB talented signature creators!

Not this again, I will never support gnome hunters lol.

damn candyland ankle biting mofos, they should be hunting candy not wild animals.

I'd totally make a gnome hunter even though I hate pet classes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    In the end what does it really matter?
    Excatly. Every race should be allowed every class. In the end, it is just a video game and if someone's idea of enjoyment and value is a Gnome hunter, druid, pally, or shammy, what does it really matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Excatly. Every race should be allowed every class. In the end, it is just a video game and if someone's idea of enjoyment and value is a Gnome hunter, druid, pally, or shammy, what does it really matter?
    Paladin, Shamen, Druid, Death Knight, Monk, and Warlock should be limited. Since they are not core classes, however Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage, and Hunter should be open to all.

its really tough fighting a mob when u r looking at his ankle. SO, nope, gnome hunters don't make any sense. Never like goblin hunters either. Made my warlock a gnome. i couldn't stand it. so i dont play it much.

10+ Year Old Account
    People underestimate gnomish ingenuity, you don't need to be in touch with nature to have animals work with you... You can simply walk 2 different routes. Fear and control... And we all know gnomes are able to even control humanoids through a mind control device.

If goblins can persuade the elements to do their bidding, animals should be a cakewalk to mind control by gnomes

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    People underestimate gnomish ingenuity, you don't need to be in touch with nature to have animals work with you... You can simply walk 2 different routes. Fear and control... And we all know gnomes are able to even control humanoids through a mind control device.

If goblins can persuade the elements to do their bidding, animals should be a cakewalk to mind control by gnomes
    "We've developed a new technology to control animals and earn their trust."

"What is it: pheromone spray, Animal Hypnosis, operant conditioning, romance, a Brain Box™?"

"No, I call it "bacon in my pocket", It's a technology where I keep some bacon in my pocket."

"and then you...?"

"nothing, bacon, pocket, that's it"

Lorewise it wouldn't make sense.
    Gnomes do ofcourse need to "hunt" for animals, but they would sooner use their technology to create turrets or something similar to obtain food.
    They would sooner be a "tinker" class that uses a ranged weapon.

Ofcourse this won't ever happen, so I'll gladly accept hunters as an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    "We've developed a new technology to control animals and earn their trust."

"What is it: pheromone spray, Animal Hypnosis, operant conditioning, romance, a Brain Box™?"

"No, I call it "bacon in my pocket", It's a technology where I keep some bacon in my pocket."

"and then you...?"

"nothing, bacon, pocket, that's it"
    Sad thing as a person who had Dogs, that works.

Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    its really tough fighting a mob when u r looking at his ankle. SO, nope, gnome hunters don't make any sense. Never like goblin hunters either. Made my warlock a gnome. i couldn't stand it. so i dont play it much.
    fascinating story. about making sense though, gnomes are already tanking dragons so... yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    For Gnomeregan! I love gnomes....and want to play more gnomes. Even though I don't play hunter I would consider it if gnomes had the ability to be one. It's most definitely in the lore as the OP has pointed out so what's stopping blizz? Idk. Racial buffs would be sweet for them too even though they're getting revamped in WoD.

Monk Shaman

I had a bowl of nails for breakfast......without any milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    You make a lot of assumptions.

You claim, to think you know my opinion of the Pandaren race, and yet it is clear you do not. You are being obtuse over the comic book characters when if you read what I said, I doubted anyone on these forums were familiar with any of those characters, so I picked the one that looked closest, not the one Samwise probably has a subscription to. Congratulations, on your obsession with little known comic characters. I for one had that obsession when I was in the Marines back in 1990, Since that time I stopped reading comic books altogether. But I do remember them fondly, and once in a blue moon I will get a collected works volume.

As to origins I am pointing out Samwise has stated in interviews how he came up with Pandaren and why they were included in the game. Those events are quite litterally last minuet additions because everyone loved his picture of a Pandaren he drew for fun. Granted that first Pandaren was a Fictionalized version of a Nickname his brother gave him.

First Picture of a Pandaren. Used as a Aprils 1st 1999 Joke and a semi-selfie of Samwise

Yes they are the most requested fan race, yes fans reaction to the picture on April 1st 1999 caused them to add them to the game. Blizzard has a long history of making stuff for Fans, and doing an Amazing Job at it.

The fact is Pandaren were a Joke that became a loved race, Gnomes were designed into the game and get very little respect. And the guys at Blizzard have always had a sense of humor which is a large part of why their games have been some of the best.
    I do make a lot of assumptions and I try to include qualifiers in those assumptions to make them abundantly clear as assumptions and not facts.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I thought this thread would be a new class idea: gnome hunters.

You make a lot of assumptions.

You claim, to think you know my opinion of the Pandaren race, and yet it is clear you do not. You are being obtuse over the comic book characters when if you read what I said, I doubted anyone on these forums were familiar with any of those characters, so I picked the one that looked closest, not the one Samwise probably has a subscription to. Congratulations, on your obsession with little known comic characters. I for one had that obsession when I was in the Marines back in 1990, Since that time I stopped reading comic books altogether. But I do remember them fondly, and once in a blue moon I will get a collected works volume.

As to origins I am pointing out Samwise has stated in interviews how he came up with Pandaren and why they were included in the game. Those events are quite litterally last minuet additions because everyone loved his picture of a Pandaren he drew for fun. Granted that first Pandaren was a Fictionalized version of a Nickname his brother gave him.

First Picture of a Pandaren. Used as a Aprils 1st 1999 Joke and a semi-selfie of Samwise

Yes they are the most requested fan race, yes fans reaction to the picture on April 1st 1999 caused them to add them to the game. Blizzard has a long history of making stuff for Fans, and doing an Amazing Job at it.

The fact is Pandaren were a Joke that became a loved race, Gnomes were designed into the game and get very little respect. And the guys at Blizzard have always had a sense of humor which is a large part of why their games have been some of the best.
    Actually good sir, they used a number of images, both that one and the one I showed, here is the page itself archived.
    http://classic.battle.net/war3/pandaren/
    Dude, WARDANCERS! I wish that was true, it's basically what I think demon hunters should be in this game based on Warhammer's Wardancer and Slayer unit, but I digress.

I might be obstuse but what I see you doing is claiming one joke race is somehow less legitimate for being more of a joke than another based on some "joke race" scale. In reality, there's a lot more to something being an intrinsic joke race. There's "oh look how cool this looks" as well as "that's fucking hilarious man" and then "hey wouldn't that be cool if it was this or that?", I've told you I'm not quite sure what your point is I thought, and I don't mean to be telling you or making assumptions over what you said beyond guessing, I'm trying to establish what you're saying.

So le me try again, you're saying gnomes deserve more respect even though they're a race filled with comedic elements too as well as deserving as the Pandaren are of respect? If so, I agree.

And for the record, I was being facetious about having a scholarly PHD in trivial ashcan comic books man, sorry if that tongue in cheek wasn't clear. I was trying to have some brevity in the intense discussions we have over such jovial and trivial things all in all at the end of the day.

I know Samwise's origins he's given on this, what did my account of them change from what has been established? I'd go back and read my posts but I'm running on fumes. So for my own benefit to recap, they started out as a picture he drew for his daughter, they were later used for an April Fool's Joke after devs at the office like the pic so much they took it and made a mock up race out the pics.

For people who denigrate PAndaren for this "joke race" thing as if it's intrinsic, I just want to say they could have easily shown up on a Christmas Card and never been used as a joke race and still been requested for the game. Would the community start calling them a Christmas Card race if that had happened? This is not directed at you, it's a general question for anyone with "joke race" fixation.

I'm sure all kinds of races in this game came out as nothing but an artist goofing off in his sketch pad.

Here's a recent doodle from Chris Robinson's he even joked about putting in to the game someday,...

I would LOVE to see them in game, with their eyes all animated to wobble around independantly like those toys with the eyes that wobbled in the 80s or whenever I can't remember.

Basically as a hobbyist wannabe artist (I prefer the term draw-er), I may be so bold as to say all kinds of drawings start out with the intent of just goofing off and having fun, and they later take on a life of their own. Blizzard's art team have a very organic process of inspiration up there. They work on what tends to get their juices flowing from what they've shared. My basic point is I wish people would stop making distinctions between one race or another using the qualifier "joke race". They're all humorous jokes, one of them once used as an actual joke on a holiday themed around a joke, but it was also invented before a joke as a cute little homage.

So I guess you might not even be addressing this issue at all in this context Gothicshark and I apologize if I assumed you did. It's a pet issue if mine I tend to weigh in on when I smell blood in the water. I've not been sleeping, like 4 hours a week, so my concentration isn't at it's best. I love that you know who Panda Khan is, and don't mean to be making a confrontation here. I'd prefer to just have a chat about character design and gnomes being worthy of legitimate regard if that's what you're getting at.

Just as 2 headed ogres were created before ever being used as an April Fool's joke, but are obviously a joke from inception while still being wicked cool monsters, I doubt people would claim if they were in the game they would be called a joke race.

I believe this all lays at the heart of the Panda being an animal synonymous with something "uncool". If that's completely unrelated to your point, then consider it a tangent for the people who think denigrating anything in WOW as a "joke race" means anything.

If your point is gnomes and pandaren deserve as much respect as orcs and humans, I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I thought this thread would be a new class idea: gnome hunters.
    I even draw a demon hunter spoof on the subject using a mouse in paint because I have no WACOM at the moment but I just gave up.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Now then you mention it, alot of gnomes NPC's have guns so why not? I support it!

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    Yes please, so many yesses, all of them even, all the yesses.

Let every race be every class, it doesen't matter anyway at this point. It wouldn't have worked in Vanilla, neither would Forsaken Paladins, but WoW is a very different game now, and I don't see why not.
    I hope not. Some things just wouldn't feel like Warcraft anymore. The restrictions are rigid and not 100% logical considering you see races from every race doing roles in NPC factions player cannot, but aesthetic balance and atmosphere are a tricky thing to talk about if a person doesn't even give a damn about them in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, on your obsession with little known comic characters. I for one had that obsession when I was in the Marines back in 1990, Since that time I stopped reading comic books altogether. But I do remember them fondly, and once in a blue moon I will get a collected works volume.
    I would add this tongue in cheek claim I was a "phd historian" on these things was while living in the 80s and 90s too, and I havent looked at a TMNT comic really in 15 years. I did just draw this one last year though to see what I could do now that I'm not a 10 year old,,,, I used to go crazy when artists didn't draw their pads right. so I would have ripped my future self a new asshole for doing this. But I wanted a new look.

And also, while I have no Gnome Hunter art, I do have a new Pizza Hunter class idea I'll whore out here for any chance I can find.

Get it? Pizza hunter? Get it? Huh? HAR!
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-19 at 03:31 PM.

here's your gnome hunter. I have no idea why a nightelf would drink from a famous evil gnome skull to gain their gnome powers... but if it were to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliemari View Post

If night elves can be mages, why are using lore as an argument at all?
    Oh you didn't just go there girl-friend! BULLSHIT SENSE, TINGLING!*ahem*

If you knew the lore, you would know night elf magi make perfect sense. Unless you think lore is somehow static. This seems to be a common case plaguing our kind where we lore nerds love flexing our brains just to show off what we know, to the detriment of what is reasonable. Let's get this out of the way with some reasonable logic.

Dath'remar, head of the left over Quel'dorei magic users was banished roughly 100 centuries ago pretty much because Furion outlawed arcane magic among the survivors of the Sundering, on pain of death, for fear of attracting the Legion. But Dath'remar kept on using it.

Malfruion could not bring himself to follow through on that sentence and so banished all who wished to leave with Dath'remar as they set sail to find a new home, which became the norther forests of Lordaeron they formed as the nation of Quel'thalas.

/flex lore muscles some more

So anyhoo. 100 centuries have passed. Enter the Frozen Throne, Malfurion and Tyrande and Maeve are in hot pursuit of Illidan, and he leads them across the ocean to Lordaeron's Tirisfal Glade. There, they run into Prince Kael'Thas of the Quel'dorei now turned Sin'dorei in remembrance of their fallen to the Scourge. Instead of being like "WTF, you look fucking weird, what happened to you, and WTF I see you're all still saturated in arcane" they actually we like "Hey cousins! Wow, long time no see! Hey, Illidan the Betrayer, remember him from back in the day? You guys look a lot different so you may only have been told him by your grandfather, but we're chasing him now with his army of mutated elves that look like giant fish snakes. Have you seen him, do you want to help us?"

To which Kael'thas was all "Totally, my massive purple cousins, let's get on this thing"

Shit goes down, in the conflict Tyrande gets wounded and falls down a river's swift current. Maeve implies to her Shan'do that the Priestess is no more, dead, and they should move on. Malfurion is devastated his life mate for 10,000 years is dead. Illidan finds out and he's like "Aw hell no! This shit can stop, get off my ass and let's find her. She may be with you now bro, but I still love that girl like a sister, who I'd totally still,... well never mind that, let's go her find her, TALLY HO!" Illidan ends up helping to search for her body, meanwhile Kael'thas says "YO, hold up, Maeve didn't see her die, she's just wack and wants to take Illidan down!"

Malfurion orders Maeve to sit in the corner and he and his demon twin brother find a wounded Tyrande and help her out, because she's a fucking bad ass and doesn't need to be rescued, but we all need a little help from our friends. Illidan is then pardoned by Malfurion but told never to come back to their lands. He is banished, henceforth. He and Kael'thas then become pals.

So clearly the Night Elves are fine with the High Elves/Blood Elves at this point 10 years ago. Maybe no welcoming then home but not hating them.
    Then we have the Night Elves join the Alliance.

Think about what that means.

For the last decade Night Elves have fought and died at the side of countless magi, lived in Dalaran, lived and fought with the remaining High Elves and the Silver Covenant, allowed them in Darnassus and Ashenvale and Mount Hyjal itself.

Then we have ancient Night Elves in Eldre'thalas, now Dire Maul, who were never banished in the first place, living in Kalimdor for 10k years.

Xaxas, one of the most feared horrors of the Kaldorei in existence, has returned. Not only did he return, but he trashed Darkshore and his coming rocked Teldrassil to it's roots, and Ragnaros himself assaulted the World Tree's newly grown sapling. All the while the magi of Shen'dralar had been petitioning Tyrande and Malfurion to warn them of something they could sense was coming and wished to offer their help.

You don't understand the lore at all and how dare you try arguing it's in some way inadmissible as basis for gameplay or classes. You're just spouting canards like a talking head without any accountability for context or circumstance because to you the lore is a bunch of rules you memorize apparently to prove you're a real Warcraft fan I can only assume. Meanwhile, that lore is a living breathing DEVELOPING thing.

It would almost not be out of place for Night Elf warlocks to exist via the Shen'dralar if circumstances provided precedent. They've allowed Aliiance Warlocks to assist the Night Elves in Warsong Gulch for ten years, they've fought alongside them for a decade in every major war and battle the Alliance has faced, they even helped bring down Illidan when he attacked his own kin when they entered Outland and had to be put down like the rabid dog he had become.

Should the Burning Legion invade Azeroth, not only would the demon hunters be utilized as they were at Hyjal, the Alliance warlocks and the Shen'dralar magi could conceivably send for warlocks from Dire Maul, should the demon hunters be willing to work with them, which is hard to say with what little we know about them so far in lore.

The lesson here is stop making the lore out to be black and white laws which don't have a foundation in context and situations. This isn't apartheid South Africa, and Tyrande has shown considerable liberal decisions in the face of the Legion and Xaxas, the Aspect of Death. Freeing Illidan, and using the aid of the Shen'dralar.

And if you think that throws out lore, you don't know your ass underneath you from the elbow on your arm in the first place. Or you're just a real life Right Wing conservative Night Elf posting in the forum somehow via some arcane magic you paradoxically shouldn't be able to outside druidic means. Maybe you should go sit in the corner with Maeve?
    Last edited by Yig; 2014-02-19 at 03:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin, Shamen, Druid, Death Knight, Monk, and Warlock should be limited. Since they are not core classes, however Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage, and Hunter should be open to all.
    Yet every race except pandas can be DKs. Even Worgen and Goblins who were post-facto additions.