Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    This doesn't make sense. For them to get ahead of me they have to stop dps on the current group and run past me. Meaning they aren't dpsing fast enough for me to move on.
    In hundreds, nay - thousands of dungeon runs over my tanking "career" I have never seen anybody stop casting at the currently engaged mobs simply to pull more.

This sounds a bit made up honestly.

Once you have threat, you can - and should - be moving towards the next pack. Stop at the boss and cleave everything down. The only way people are moving ahead of you is if you're standing still waiting for a pack to die...

Or maybe if the DPS is abysmal you'd stand still waiting for damage, in which case they usually don't pull more mobs anyway in my experience.

You can do most dungeons in 3-5 pulls right now.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-03-10 at 05:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    The tank controls the pace and leads the group whether you like it or not.
    Well, the spells of DPS that run ahead disagree. Whether you like it or not.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please explain.
    It's like...you treat an individual like a child for long enough and that individual will eventually play the part. I feel like Blizzard is treating most of their player base like baddies and we're gladly accepting and playing the part.

This is why 5 man dungeons are soooo easy. Yes you could make them harder and force the player base to over come an obstacle, a challenge and improve ones self but this doesn't happen. Blizzard just lowers the learning curve some more. (Yes I know they want to make them harder in WoD, this is a different conversation).

Okay...I don't do dungeons often but if I for whatever reason need to do a dungeon I want be outta there as fast as humanly possible.
    It's because of the way Blizzard designs their content that we have players with this kind of attitude ^^ He wants (well doesn't but still does) to do a dungeon, but for none of the reasons the dungeon was designed for. This is an issue blizzard needs to address.

Quote Originally Posted by lordkangarew View Post
    So I just ran a dungeon and go chewed out by very dead mage and warrior who pulled and I let die. When I said it’s my job to pull, the healers job to heal, and the dps’s job to kill what I pull. Right after I typed that they lost their minds and went on an epic 4 letter rant that I can’t post here.
    This reason I post this is to vent / rant as this lack of respect / etiquette is the main reason most of my friends stopped playing the game as is made it no fun for them.
    Got to love how good gear, the love of big pretty numbers and the occasional ahole seem to be ruining the game for so many.
    I never take what randoms say seriously, I almost always run in guild groups because they are far more fun to run in, and I like to leave group if I ever encounter people like that and then ignore them.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Obviously it has to be Blizzard's fault and not any of the people in the game. I guess the people here behaving like they are (and especially the ones looking down on others) are Blizzard's fault as well, because heaven forbid one could take the things that your parents and the world around you in 16, 25 or 40 years into the game and apply it there too.

So yeah..decently raides people turn into asshats at the drop of a hat...Blizzard's fault
    Asshats raised to be asshats and acting like some...also Blizzard's fault.
    I said kind of yet you're response acts like I said it's all Blizzards fault. Don't think you understand the point I was trying to make at all which wasn't clearly explained when you responded to that post.

The tank controls the pace and leads the group whether you like it or not.
    A strong player leads the group. A tank who just started tanking last week and has no gear or experience is not leading anything. Which makes it all the more difficult when you put that kind of person into a dungeon with 4 other people (who have the gear & experience) vs content that's difficulty has been lowered enough for a handicap person to comprehend.
    Last edited by rated; 2014-03-10 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I have seen far too many tanks who pull 1 group at a time and stand in 1 spot until the very last mob is dead.
    When dungeons are properly tuned this is pretty much how they're supposed to tank. I have seen far too many players who expect tanks to do otherwise. If you want to play sloppily and poorly feel free to queue with your buddies. Don't expect everyone else to play like baddies to suit your personal preferences.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Of upward to 7 mill, and multi regional? There's no way. It's impossible to say, but really we do know they que for random because that's were they get away with it. If you have a smidge of etiquette and skill. I think you should think of doing the alternative to randoms.
    You don't need to poll 7 million people to conclusively make assumptions about the entire population. Random dungeons are random, and that makes sampling a viable means of making broad assumptions about them. If we were talking about raiding or guild runs I would agree with you because I've only raided with a handful of guilds, but I've run random content with hundreds (thousands?) of random groups.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but I'm seeing this a lot lately: Please don't quote my entire post when you're only replying to a portion of it. It's confusing, and it's against the MMO-C forum posting guidelines:
    Do not quote entire posts, only quote parts you wish to elaborate on. The quote button is not a reply button.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

The tanks job is to pull enough adds to where he doesn't die, and to pull fast enough so that the DPS and healer is always doing something.

If there are time between pacts, the tank is failing.

If the healer is full mana the entire time, the tank is failing to pull enough.

Chain pulling is a requirement of any good tank. This is nothing new either... It's been around since before everquest. What, not skilled to pull faster than DPS? I suggest you practice and get better. No one like terrible tanks that are also cocky assholes.
    Last edited by urasim; 2014-03-10 at 06:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    The tanks job is to pull enough adds to where he doesn't die, and to pull fast enough so that the DPS and healer is always doing something.

If the healer is full many the entire time, the tank is failing to pull enough.

Chain pulling is a requirement of any good tank. This is nothing new either... It's been around since before everquest. What, not skilled to pull faster than DPS? I suggest you practice and get better. No one like terrible tanks that are also cocky assholes.

It's clear you started this game during or after wrath.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

...or the healer is oom and the tank is doing his job by watching healer mana. Chain pulling does not a good tank make. Pulling at the appropriate speed for the group, whether that's slower or faster than your expectations is the sign of a wise tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

Chain pulling was a good way to wipe your Cataclysm group. It's not a sign of skill in random groups. It's a sign of inconsiderate self absorbed jerks. If you want a tank that caters to your personal preferences then queue with a pre-made group. If you queue with a random group of people be prepared to accommodate players of all skill levels. Running out in front of everyone and pulling extra crap is not being skilled. It's being a jerk. The one exception is when doing DPS races like the Spoils fight on LFR. In that one instance you may be doing the group a service by opening boxes for the group if the tank is just sitting there with their thumb up their butt. Exceptions like that are few and far between however.
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

This doesn't make sense. For them to get ahead of me they have to stop dps on the current group and run past me. Meaning they aren't dpsing fast enough for me to move on.

If they would kill the mobs I'm currently tanking I have no issue running to the next group grabbing them asap.
    It makes perfect sense, as I've seen plenty of DPS become the arbiter of exactly how many mobs a tank should be taking on at once. This special breed of self absorbed player seems to feel that they bear zero responsibility for their own behavior. If they die, it's certainly someone elses fault, despite claims of being able to solo the whole place anyhow.... and if they were as good as they claimed, they'd be chain-running heroic scenarios for more valor. But again, I'm sure there's an excuse as to why they don't. Or can't.

Pretty typical for this playerbase at the end of an expansion, all things considered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    This is why I start every run with the phrase "Greetings and inebriations all." It shows that I am competent and courteous, as well as humorous enough to enjoy a death or two. I then give them 15 seconds to orient themselves to the dungeon and buff, and then pull until the healer cries. I always take the widest swath of enemies I can because you know someones gonna wander into that giant pack on the left that you don't need to pull. Better to have it already than have to corral it later.

And if they still manage to get themselves killed, they better release because there is not going to be any point this entire dungeon where we are not in combat long enough for a res to go out. I will make goddamn sure of that.
    *sniff* This is beautiful *sniff*
    Everyone on the internet is a dishonest actor.

It's clear you started this game during or after wrath.
    No. I have been playing since Beta of Classic. I have several server firsts. Been chain pulling since wailing caverns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    ...or the healer is oom and the tank is doing his job by watching healer mana. Chain pulling does not a good tank make. Pulling at the appropriate speed for the group, whether that's slower or faster than your expectations is the sign of a wise tank.
    In what world is a healer oom in the new heroics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Chain pulling was a good way to wipe your Cataclysm group. It's not a sign of skill in random groups. It's a sign of inconsiderate self absorbed jerks. If you want a tank that caters to your personal preferences then queue with a pre-made group. If you queue with a random group of people be prepared to accommodate players of all skill levels. Running out in front of everyone and pulling extra crap is not being skilled. It's being a jerk. The one exception is when doing DPS races like the Spoils fight on LFR. In that one instance you may be doing the group a service by opening boxes for the group if the tank is just sitting there with their thumb up their butt. Exceptions like that are few and far between however.
    Funny. I never had a problem in any instance, ever. Why are you people against chain pulling? If the healer is full mana then why not? Do you really want to play at a snails pace? Fine, you slow ass people can take your time. But, don't expect good players to group with you and enjoy it. Sooner or later people will stop grouping with you because you lack the skill to complete the instance in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Easier to keep folks alive who are using their head as something more than a rectal thermometer. I don't mind maintaining aggro, but when we all go right and the hunter goes left, and they pull a room thinking we are all there, I do a great job holding threat once they are dead and saving the rest of my party who does not suffer from Cranial Rectal Insertion Syndrome.
    But its way easier to just grab threat on one group, then grab threat on the next. Everyone lives and the run goes faster. Sounds like a good outcome to me. If you just stand there as a tank and let people die when you could have easily gotten threat on everything, then you are the problem. If you couldn't get threat that is another issue, but activly choosing to no do your damn job is an asshole move.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I have been playing since Beta of Classic. I have several server firsts. Been chain pulling since wailing caverns.

Um.... Yeah... BULLSHIT

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    But its way easier to just grab threat on one group, then grab threat on the next. Everyone lives and the run goes faster. Sounds like a good outcome to me. If you just stand there as a tank and let people die when you could have easily gotten threat on everything, then you are the problem. If you couldn't get threat that is another issue, but activly choosing to no do your damn job is an asshole move.

MY job is to tank what I pull. If someone wants to take my job and pull they can take the rest of it too.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Do you really want to play at a snails pace? Fine, you slow ass people can take your time. But, don't expect good players to group with you and enjoy it. Sooner or later people will stop grouping with you because you lack the skill to complete the instance in a timely manner.
    It's random dungeons. Don't expect good people in there. When you run a pre-made group expect good people because you took the time and effort to screen them out. If you're queueing for a random you're not entitled to only be grouped with the best of the best. Someone who throws a fit and gets half the party killed because they don't "play well enough" for their tastes is far more annoying to me than a random player who has not yet grasped all the subtleties of their class. Tailor your expectations accordingly. Chain pulling saves less than five minutes and potentially costs 10 minutes due to the group wiping and/or people dropping. If you can solo heroics then solo them. Don't make everyone else's life miserable.

The dungeons are total faceroll in heroic gear. I always say to the tank and or healer dont worry about it. Pull everything if you want cause my destro lock can burst aoe them down in seconds and dont worry about pulling too much
    Does Warlock Stuffz

MY job is to tank what I pull. If someone wants to take my job and pull they can take the rest of it too.
    So if someone accidentally backs up to far and body pulls some stuff.... fuck em, I didn't pull it?

A tanks job is to tank everything that is pulled. If you are not doing that then you are a shitty tank. I'm not saying its okay to pull everything as a DPS, but as a good tank you should try to tank everything that is currently pulled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    So if someone accidentally backs up to far and body pulls some stuff.... fuck em, I didn't pull it?

A tanks job is to tank everything that is pulled. If you are not doing that then you are a shitty tank. I'm not saying its okay to pull everything as a DPS, but as a good tank you should try to tank everything that is currently pulled.

If it's a mistake I'll pick it up and tank them. If it's on purpose they are on their own.

I'm ok with being a shitty tank in your eyes. I know different, and so do the people that play with me.

If it's a mistake I'll pick it up and tank them. If it's on purpose they are on their own.

I'm ok with being a shitty tank in your eyes. I know different, and so do the people that play with me.
    I'm currently playing a healer. If someone is standing in something bad I still heal them. I might yell at them, but my job is to keep them alive, no matter what. As a tank your job is to hold aggro on everything that you can, no matter what.