Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    Copyright laws are terrible and only favor the powerful. I grief for Nostralius
    LOL, or you know, the people making shit for us to enjoy...

Don't enjoy retail WoW? Tough shit, play something else and leave the constructive criticism to those capable and caring enough to provide it. Justifying bootlegging gameplay won't fly.

They shut down from lack of funds...

THEY SHUT DOWN FROM LACK OF FUNDS.

The people who owned the damn server even say this shit. But, hey, let's blame Blizzard! Blizzard could literally hand you $1000 a day you guarantee, people would complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Belime View Post
    cant wait to watch legion fail and all these circle jerking faggots in here will want vanilla servers
    aww did you lose some characters? gone, RIP, don't cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Well I keep saying why it is immoral to just freeload off of something that costs millions of dollars and thousands of man hours to create but everyone keeps telling me to hush because itll make an argument collapse.

But keep being all edgy and counterculture. You do you.
    Counterculture? Why?

For me, if anything, it's Blizz's action that's counterculture. Old games, especially MMOs, will completly vanish and no one will ever be able to experience them any more if they do not linger on in some way. By keeping old WoW off-limits because "it's the law", they are essentially denying the widespread of an art piece that's no longer available by conventional means, and that the original owner is no longer profiting from - and has publicly declared that has no intention of ever supporting it again. Isn't that counterculture?

How is allowing people to enjoy an art piece that costs millions of dollars and thousands of man hours to create immoral, but letting it fall to oblivion isn't?

cant wait to watch legion fail and all these circle jerking faggots in here will want vanilla servers
    WoD failed. Do you know what I did? Play other games. Crazy idea, I know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    Private servers are essentially thievery.
    How is it possible to steal that which does not exist (anymore)?

If Blizzard offered an alternative I'm sure a lot of people would flock to that. I know I would. But there is no alternative. Blizzard is just being spiteful.

Deleted
    I Have said it for a long time, and made countless threads about vanilla

In the end, I will win and blizzard will give me my classic servers, I will not be denyed.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post

The people who owned the damn server even say this shit. But, hey, let's blame Blizzard! Blizzard could literally hand you $1000 a day you guarantee, people would complain.
    that guys is lying NO WHERE on the nostalrius page did they said they had lack of funds

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Absolutely. But on the other side, there was a poster who claimed they would pay $45 a month for a vanilla server.

The justifications for this shit are out of this world.
    you surprised ? heroin addicts spend monthy hundres of dollars on addiction so somebody addived to digital game and spending 45 $ isnt that much ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post

Definitely could be. These servers are run by the sketchiest people. It has happened before where the server staff just cut and run with the donation money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

WoD wasn't the height of their history, I still chose it over vanilla servers.

Who the fuck claims that retail has "no content" and then settles for Classic? It's mind-boggling...

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    aww did you lose some characters? gone, RIP, don't cry.
    to blind to see the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeden View Post
    Okay so Feenix/Warmane which has been up for 5 years are not getting shut down but Nost which has 1 year on it's neck, nice logical mate.
    ...Then why are people claiming they've played on Nos for years and years? It's only been up for 1? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You make a fair point. Still, WoW is Blizz's IP so they have the right to go after people who use it in ways they don't agree with. Whether they win or lose is another story though. Seems the lawyers sided with Blizzard on this one.
    It's the US <-> French thing. But if it were soley in the US, they could go after you because you made a snide remark about Ghostcrawler and you hurt his wittle feelings. Doesn't mean they will win.

It's their IP and they only control whatever you redistribute -- which you aren't redistributing anything. Server and client each own a copy of Vanilla WoW -- then server and client are legally in the clear. They paid Blizzard their money and Blizzard accepted the money.

And as far as I can tell this was not a court case. This was a "we can't afford it" case.

Let's be honest, do you think if Microsoft came after you for BS reasons you'd fight to the bitter end? No, there's no way you could afford a long legal batter on the level they could put you through. This is nothing more than Blizzard being a bully.

"Yesterday, we received a letter of formal notice from US and french lawyers, acting on behalf of Blizzard Entertainment, preparing to stand trial against our hosting company OVH and ourselves in less than a week now. This means the de facto end of Nostalrius under its current form."

That's the exact wording. I remember this argument back in the days of Ultima Online. It's been hashed and rehashed over and over again. I'm basically saying the same thing I said almost 2 decades ago except at that point in time Autodesk hadn't lost their suit. Now they have and that's a Big Deal.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Who the fuck claims that retail has "no content" and then settles for Classic? It's mind-boggling...
    ~800,000 people actually

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    You're confused. If you buy software at a store -- whatever is on that cd is *YOURS*. That's the long *and* short of it. The license to access their servers is a sererate entity. I think this is where you're confused.

No one is "redistributing" anything -- so long as the host and client own a legal copy (like from, say, WalMart) -- then you are free and clear.

You are aware that you can buy World of Warcraft at stores still, yes?
    No they are not, especially when they are making money off of this. And I will seriously laugh at you if you say these people running these private servers aren't making money off of others intellectual properties and rights.

Quote Originally Posted by dolfke View Post
    still a group of people could do it , for no profit
    yes they found old incomplete code and made a patchwork server. Same exact thing. How many of their "active accounts" would pay $10-$15 a month for that server?

Kinda sad. I liked to play here from time to time, gaining couple levels here and there on my warlock. Seeing and experiencing Stranglethorn Vale (one of my favourite zones in the vanilla) like it was years before Cataclysm... let's say that I felt couple years younger, back in times when I was a kid. Was looking forward to questing in Tanaris when I will have some time, but well, it will not happen.

I would say that this is some kind of dick move from Blizz, as they do not want to make vanilla realms themselves, but I understand their stance when it comes to private servers. Still, I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    And nothing of value was lost.
    You do realize that Vanilla wow is the only reason modern wow exists right?

I'm glad i managed to make it to 60 on Nostalrius before Blizzards jews got to it, it was tons of fun.