Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Yeah its not the same game anymore (i played on Nost and Enjoyed it), Pretty sure forthe Pokemon games you need to own the actual game to get the ROM to allow you to play those?,

Question for everyone in here, If blizzard allowed NostWoW to continue but act as an official server e.g. its goes through the server list and you need a sub to play it but the NostWOW guys maintained it etc would you re-sub?
    Yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    You need to learn what a hobby is. Not everything people do is because they want a paycheck. The fact that you think you're being smart is amusing.

There are other servers that do want to make a profit and it's easy to spot them. If the makers of Nost wanted to make money off their server they would have copied Warmane's habits.
    Oh to be so pure...
    Bleh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Then then if your local movie theater doesn't run Lassie anymore, they should just shut the fuck up if you manage to find an old tape of it and watch it again. Instead of barging in and grabbing the tape back and say "THIS IS MINE YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO WATCH IT !".
    They are not going to shut the fuck up if you managed to "find" their tape, and show it for money (donations, microtransactions etc), if you want to go with dumb analogies
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Yeah its not the same game anymore (i played on Nost and Enjoyed it), Pretty sure forthe Pokemon games you need to own the actual game to get the ROM to allow you to play those?,

Question for everyone in here, If blizzard allowed NostWoW to continue but act as an official server e.g. its goes through the server list and you need a sub to play it but the NostWOW guys maintained it etc would you re-sub?
    They couldn't get this so called rabid Vanilla fanbase to keep the game going on their own. Now they're willing to cough up money? Bullshit.

Immediately, and I'm willing to pay more. (And so will my friends.)

Deleted
    The code is in possession of blizzard...... Its their code, Its still in the current game or its been commented out. Its still classed as stealing as its their game and they hold all rights over it. They don't make their own vanilla servers because its not feasible for them.
    "The Wall of No revised as of July 21st, 2014

Summary of Blizzard’s public stance:

1: Blizzard does not believe there are enough people interested in utilizing this idea long term to justify the costs necessary to bring it about.
    2: Blizzard feels this idea is counter to the nature of MMO’s; non-progression equates to stagnation and eventual boredom.
    3: The original game code does not exist in that form anymore. All the old data has been replaced with newer data and not archived for later reuse. “There is no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes…”"

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    They couldn't get this so called rabid Vanilla fanbase to keep the game going on their own. Now they're willing to cough up money? Bullshit.
    rabid?

how much are you getting paid to be a shitposting shill?

Sounds like the crybabies who got banned for botting all over again. It is known that private servers are illegal period. They are using wow's name to play the game. Even if not profiting from it they are still using wow's name unauthorized. Because you liked it or think it isn't hurting anyone or anything is irrelavant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Yeah sure, bullshit....if believing that makes you feel better than you have my blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Why not ?
    Copyright laws exist to protect those who create from being ripped off their money by people who just copy them. It's not just about preventing everyone to access it for the sake of it.
    If you not only don't use your creation to get money, and on top of that REFUSES to provide it, what is the justification to forbid others to provide it ?
    Well but it´s their right to REFUSE it. And it´s their right to forbid others to provide it. Simple as that.

Deleted
    rekt. y u hef 2 be mad tho

Nost was a pretty shitty server. Lots of bugs, laughable GM team and the whole '' 4 years in dev '' was a complete and utter sham.

Deleted

Imo, would be nice if it were somthing like
    -You can use the software and modify it/host it whatever if its older than like 2 years but cant make a profit with it as in sub fees/b2p (donations are fine)
    -After 5 years you can use the software however you want/modify/host/remake etc. and also be sub/b2p
    (random numbers yes)
    Just imagine blizzard randomly shuts down the servers and never gives anyone the right to remake it host it or whatever, wouldn't that be shit? RIP wow forever? I don't think they should be able to have that much power over us, or at least not forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    The fact that you think nobody has ever programmed anything for free is hilarious. You need to get a reality check and learn that not everything in life follows a simple set of rules.
    Do you know how much a server would cost to run the traffic that Nost had? Do you? Easily over 1k US monthly, and that's low balling it. Do you think they were paying for it out of pocket? Nope! In fact they took donations to keep the servers running since the start! Let's say that they weren't making any money off it personally, just to say it. Taking donations to run something like that pushed it past the point of being illegal. Right there there was a cash transfer to keep something running that wasn't theres to run to begin with. Hobby or not. It was theft. Just because you don't think it should be an issue , doesn't make it any less of one. You can't just pick and chose what you think should be illegal and what punishments should be dished out to what. That's a dangerous road to start crossing.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Nost was a pretty shitty server. Lots of bugs, laughable GM team and the whole '' 4 years in dev '' was a complete and utter sham.
    It was a great server with very few bugs, a very friendly community and a good GM team.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    i dont think we talk about the same server.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Blizzard just can't deliver what people want anymore. Pathetic

Ι am a member of a 40 man raid guild in Nostalrius.

Last night, as we finished our BWL raid, we were informed of Blizzard's action against Nostalrius, and we discussed the guild's future on TS3. Here's what our members think about Retail:

These were the people who had no microphone and thus had to use text messaging from within TS3. Their opinions are typical of the majority opinions. I am writing this lest Blizzard (& fanbois thereof) think that we will rush to play retail. We will never play retail "WoW", ever. The game has changed so much in our opinion so as to no longer be WoW at all and we do not want to play it.

Another oft quoted argument is that the people who play Nostalrius would never pay a sub. We already paid money to play on Nostalrius, however, we did not pay money directly to Nostalrius.

- I pay 40 Euros per month for a fast 4G internet connection so as to play on Nostalrius with no lag. Others do as well.
    - Others paid for a service that reduced their ping time and latency, especially ppl from the US.
    - We have had 2 US members raiding with us. 90% of our members are Scandinavian (Danes, Norwegians and Swedes) and the rest from all over the EU. We had Belgians, Czechs, Slovaks, Greeks, Ukrainians, and people from the Baltic Republics as well.

So, we would easily pay for a sub. I paid $45 already for a good and fast connection with no lag.

Finally, I would like to repeat once again:

-Nostalrius had a peak of abt. 13,500 players max being online at any time.
    -Nostalrius had abt. 150,000 regular players.
    -Nostalrius had over 800,000 registered accounts.

-Our guild is voting today on the matter of which Private server it will migrate to (Vanilla or TBC) in order to continue playing together, so Blizzard lackeys would have to shut down more Private servers to prevent us playing Real WoW.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Fuck me, there goes the one way I had fun playing WoW. Nostalrius made me realize just how bad things had become with modern WoW, I haven't had as much fun with the game since Vanilla was live (obviously with nostalgia being a factor).

Personally I'd gladly sub to WoW again if it meant being able to play on a Vanilla server, the amount of people that were on Nostalrius dwarfed the amount of people that some live servers even had, the demand is there and it's very real. For the first time in over 10 years I have very little interest in the game's future, Vanilla was a time where Blizzard had put so much passion into the game, those times are unfortunately long gone and they're putting that passion into other projects now, notably Overwatch which you can really so how much love is put into.

Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    3: The original game code does not exist in that form anymore. All the old data has been replaced with newer data and not archived for later reuse. “There is no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes…”"
    That's such a lousy excuse, the original game files are out there for everyone to take, even I could host a Vanilla private server, it's that easy. The truth is that if Blizzard were to host a Vanilla private server it'd both cost money and hurt their integrity as they bend over and admit that the game simply isn't the same anymore.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2016-04-07 at 10:05 AM.