10+ Year Old Account
    A phone would look hideous with an anti-glare coating.
    In fact all the expensive TVs are glossy as well, and to be honest it's one of the things that I think makes the Plasma here so glorious :|

But that one also has a Louvre filter which is very weird when you're close from the TV.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the new Samsung KS9500 measuring 6663:1 contrast ratio, that's the highest one for A LED TV as far as I'm concerned
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-04-17 at 02:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I am experiencing OLED glow. But having an unlit background with occasional lit white pixels with reasonable back light is bound to cause some light pollution.

Also, I thought ips glow was due to having the antiglare coating and ips, not normally found with phones.
    Nope. It's entirely a characteristic of IPS(type) models that can be reduced / removed with the aforementioned A-TW polarizer. IPS glow is entirely based off viewing angle and dark content. Back light bleed doesn't care about viewing angle at all. Anti-glare doesn't do anything other than defuse reflecting light and cause some graininess. Which is why glossy coating > anti-glare in terms of image quality. The draw back is it's glossy and you can see yourself if light is shining on your screen.

OLEDs aren't your traditional LEDs which for whatever reason can cause viewing angle discolorations. It was pretty obvious with the Droid Razr Maxx. It turned a blue tint with just 20-25 degrees shift and more drastic after that. It was admittedly worse than a TN panel in that regards oddly enough but no contrast shift was present.

Sony. CLED, now.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So... I had a dream I got some sort of... CPU... or CPU heatsink. It had a little spec on it, so I was trying to scratch it off.

In the process, I also made a pretty large canyon/valley in it but was like "oh well, it won't be THAT bad, to be fair. It'll probably just not work perfectly."

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So... I had a dream I got some sort of... CPU... or CPU heatsink. It had a little spec on it, so I was trying to scratch it off.

In the process, I also made a pretty large canyon/valley in it but was like "oh well, it won't be THAT bad, to be fair. It'll probably just not work perfectly."

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!
    It's telling you to get a NH-D15S.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you so opposed to suggesting the NH-D15? lol

You keep linking this S version.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you so opposed to suggesting the NH-D15? lol

You keep linking this S version.
    Compatibility. It's essentially the D15 but just slightly more awkward.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15S/

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    A phone would look hideous with an anti-glare coating.
    In fact all the expensive TVs are glossy as well, and to be honest it's one of the things that I think makes the Plasma here so glorious :|

But that one also has a Louvre filter which is very weird when you're close from the TV.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the new Samsung KS9500 measuring 6663:1 contrast ratio, that's the highest one for A LED TV as far as I'm concerned
    I was thinking it would be a more practical reason: fingerprints stick to anti-glare coatings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I was thinking it would be a more practical reason: fingerprints stick to anti-glare coatings.
    They stick to gorilla glass too

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Nope.
    Cool, thanks for the info and correction.
    Viewing angles colour wise is good with the OPX (except from the top, green) but some slight contrast difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info and correction.
    Viewing angles colour wise is good with the OPX (except from the top, green) but some slight contrast difference.
    Color shifting is terrible at my Note 4. Contrast doesn't change at all though, only when you're facing the burning sun then the screen if set on auto will get ridiculously bright lighting up the black pixels as well not to cause problems if a sudden "black -> white" pixel change happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the new notification system for if someone mentions you or quotes you... one, because it doesn't go away if you happen to just read the thread/post yourself, without using the notification system. Two, because it doesn't pop up and alert you the same way as when someone messages you.

I guess it's a nice alternative to keeping threads open and scouring them/using the shit search tool to find any replies to yourself, but idk... meh.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the new notification system for if someone mentions you or quotes you... one, because it doesn't go away if you happen to just read the thread/post yourself, without using the notification system. Two, because it doesn't pop up and alert you the same way as when someone messages you.

I guess it's a nice alternative to keeping threads open and scouring them/using the shit search tool to find any replies to yourself, but idk... meh.
    Yeah, it feels like a pre-alpha feature that still need a lot of work at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry. It'll take another 4 years for it to get updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Yeah, it feels like a pre-alpha feature that still need a lot of work at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Don't worry. It'll take another 4 years for it to get updated.
    Yayyyyyy...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay IRC?

15+ Year Old Account
    What the crap is this "news" button between "all" and "pictures" tabs in google and why am I constantly clicking it? How long has it been there. o_O

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    IRC is part of it. The protocol is a bit dated if you discount the IRC v3.x proposals but the core feature set is good enough. Today's chat darling is Slack, and it struggles on groups with a couple of thousand people no matter what they do. IRCd was running individual servers with tens of thousands and networks with 100k+ in rooms with thousands on hardware less powerful than a modern smartwatch. The problem with IRC is that mobile clients universally suck, the web interfaces suck, and most desktop clients suck too. You could support all of Slacks features apart from video/desktop sharing with improved IRC clients but nobody bothered to write them. Instead we got a JSON/HTTP nightmare that needs 100x more hardware than it should, that has weekly downtime, and regular client crashes. But hey, they're valued at like 2 billion so they must have done something right.

I was thinking more about forums though: mailing lists and usenet are the prelude to the modern web forum. Everything that sucks about this forum is fixed in those:
    • Search sucks: local client indexing means you can throw ungodly complex queries without bogging down anybody but yourself. The indexing system behind notmuch will easily handle a forum this size as well as a forum with a couple dozen posts.
    • Spam filtering sucks. Email systems already have spam filters that are damn good that can operate at the server level (see spamassassin et al) and then further local filtering can be done by users (e.g. to filter out 'political threads' or whatever they dislike
    • notifications of topics, mentions, messages from friends, quotes, etc. are handled trivially with postfix at the server level or locally via something like notmuch tagging
    • Overhead: to load this page takes > 400 http connections and more than a megabyte of data. As email, it'd be a few kilobytes, available to read offline with syncing between all your devices automatically.
    • Composition features: you can use your favourite editor to compose messages. You get threading, forking, quoting, merging, references, etc. You can have arbitrary attachments or none at all. You can read content with your favourite pager, you can have secure/private messaging between people, etc.
    • Privacy concerns don't have to exist: I supply my own client, my own mail server, and everything is opt-in form there.
    • You leverage the notification system I've already set up: maybe I only want alerts here between 6pm and midnight, or any time on weekends. I've already configure my phone/laptop/desktop for that - nothing new is needed.

Outside of ultra-nerds writing software you pretty much never see mailing lists any more.

Don't get me wrong: there's a lot we could do to improve email and irc, but it seems to me like everything we've done by ignoring them has been worse. Maybe this is just another case of "People who don't understand UNIX are doomed to reimplement it poorly."
    I think the internet has once again been guilty of "lets make a standard to end all other standards - yay we have another standard!" in that regard :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    What the crap is this "news" button between "all" and "pictures" tabs in google and why am I constantly clicking it? How long has it been there. o_O
    For a long, long time. It's good to find latest news actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    For years?

Spent my whole weekend moving to an addition I put in the house, finally have a bigger room for my home office/gaming/etc stuff. Ended up buying a 55" 4K TV as well, was looking at a Samsung one for $899 then saw a nice Sony Bravia XBR X850C for $1500 and I gotta say is was worth the upgrade. Loved the OLED TV's I was looking at but I didn't have 3k+ to drop right now along with the desks and everything else I had to buy. So happy I dropped my 32" TV for this as movies and anime is amazing on this along with hooking up my studio monitors up to the TV through my DAC/AMP.