Thread: [Music] Metal

I never used to really listen to metal music, it was more just plain rock/hard rock like Alice in Chains and Tool. But lately, I absolutely love it. My fiance got me into a band called Ghost BC. Any suggestions for some great metal to someone who doesn't know many metal bands?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw Amon Amarth last night and whoo boy are they so good live. Their sound is impeccable and they definitely keep high energy through a show.

Had to suffer through possibly the worst performance I've ever seen at a show from Entombed AD though. God they are terrible. Most of them look as old as Keith Richards and the singer was so sloppy he seemed like he was having a stroke while tripping over cables on stage. They sounded like a wet fart in a paper bag under water. So terrible.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyze View Post
    I never used to really listen to metal music, it was more just plain rock/hard rock like Alice in Chains and Tool. But lately, I absolutely love it. My fiance got me into a band called Ghost BC. Any suggestions for some great metal to someone who doesn't know many metal bands?
    I'd suggest trying some of the other occult rock bands then, like Jess and the Ancient Ones, Blood Ceremony or The Devil's Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyze View Post
    If you liked Ghost(drop the BC, they don't go by that anymore since they won a court case to use the name "Ghost"), you would probably like Black Sabbath, but you've probably already listened to plenty of them if you usually listen to hard rock.
    For "regular" heavy metal, I would suggest:
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden

If you want to continue down the Sabbath/Ghost route, you might like more doom metal(slow, heavy, clean vocals are common) like:
    Candlemass
    Bongripper

Thrash metal is fast and aggressive, I'm sure you've already listened to Metallica so use them as a frame of reference if you would like this genre:
    Razor
    Megadeth

Death metal is a step farther than thrash, usually guttural growls for vocals but keeps the speed and aggressiveness of thrash with a heavier feel:
    Cryptopsy
    Death

Melodic death metal is exactly what it sounds like, death metal with melodic passages and usually repeated choruses, combination of death metal and the British style of heavy metal:
    Kalmah
    Amon Amarth

Power metal is fast, melodic, generally clean vocals with fantasy lyrics. Basically a D&D campaign in musical form:
    Twilight Force
    Blind Guardian

Black metal is probably the hardest to get into for the uninitiated, but if you can start to like it, it probably has the most gems of all metal subgenres. It's fanbase is also full of the biggest pricks in the entire musical world. I don't expect you to like this, but one day you might:
    Immortal
    Burzum
    Bonus link, my signature, Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky

There are plenty more subgenres, but these are the "core" ones. If you like any of these, just ask for more recs. There are people in this thread that know some pretty great music.

Deleted
    So, I'm gonna go to a Cannibal Corpse concert next month, mostly because a friend of mine wants to go (If I listen to DM, then usually to Melodeath)
    What songs should I listen to to get a good impression of the band? The only songs I know are "Hammer smashed face" and "I cum Blood".

Quote Originally Posted by Awarth View Post
    So, I'm gonna go to a Cannibal Corpse concert next month, mostly because a friend of mine wants to go (If I listen to DM, then usually to Melodeath)
    What songs should I listen to to get a good impression of the band? The only songs I know are "Hammer smashed face" and "I cum Blood".
    Kill or Become

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    This. Ghost aren't even metal. They're psychedelic/occult rock.
    True enough, though they do have a few songs that incorporate a lot of metal elements.
    Pinnacle to the pit, Year Zero and stuff like Mummy Dust spring to mind.

Great entry band for someone not necessrily ready to start blasting Slayer at full pelt.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Gojira:

Deleted
    God damn I love Gojira.
    Hope they do a proper tour of France this time and not just Paris.

To think I saw them when they were playing in 50 person venues. Never thought they'd go on to do what they've ended up doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the clean vocals at the end of stranded sound like Ghost.

Deleted
    I've been hearing a lot of good tings about the new Gojira album so I wouldn't jump the gun on that one.
    They are an exceptionnal band and I have no doubt that the album will be killer.

Ghost are awesome, no matter what tag you put on them, second album is over produced sure but still a great band.

10+ Year Old Account

Where were you when Moonsorrow released their greatest record in over a decade? It would probably be their best record to date if not for the kinda sluggish single.

9/10+

Deleted
    Mate of mine said he doesn't like the new Gojira track because the end is wet and not brutal enough.

I thinks it's fucking majestic. Guess that makes me a pansy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the new Gojira track because they're riffing off a riff that's bland as fuck, particularly when repeated for 3 minutes.

There's something in there that's reminiscent of why I liked the band (their heavy side as in "Gojira shows Morbid Angel why they got famous in the first place"), so haven't completely given up on the new album yet. But pretty much only a fan of From Mars to Sirius. That album is great and you can tell the difference when they play live. Crowd goes much wilder during those tracks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Where were you when Moonsorrow released their greatest record in over a decade? It would probably be their best record to date if not for the kinda sluggish single.

9/10+
    Yeah, this Moonsorrow album is incredible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Caught up with most noteworthy 2016 releases, it's time to get back to OSDM.

10+ Year Old Account
    NEW AKERCOCKE MOTHER INTERCOURSERS.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is actually pretty good, it definitely blows Obscura out of the water as far as 2016 tech death releases go.

That new Deviant Process is good stuff. Brutality also never gets old, both Sreams Of Anguish and When The Sky Turns Black are timeless classics.

Some US Power Metal

Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2016-04-25 at 02:44 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    The champions of melodeath and god-tier outros are finally back.

- - - Updated - - -

Donald Duck does Black Metal :P