Quote Originally Posted by ChronoBoom View Post
    It's not just QoL changes though, it's a better system where players with a lot of time in the game, and able to no life it, go far ahead of others adding a special snowflake status and tbh I agree with that, I want to be rewarded for all the effort I put into the game. The current reward system is broken, epics are completely devalued etc. This is why I think pristine servers would not work, because unless the expansion actually becomes hard and fun it's completely useless, I thi nk the only players this could benefit is roleplayers. The rest of players will take the 'path of least resistance' which is non pristine realms
    I think that there should be some middle ground.
    Most people who had the time to no life to rank 14 or whatever back then, by now don't have the time cuz of real life commitments.
    There should be a sense of achievement, sure, but not to the point where you had to live in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniwyn View Post
    It isn't just nostalgia.

Too many crap decitions have alienated a huge part of the playerbase. Unfortunately reversing those decitions might well alienate many of the players still subcribed to retail today. Thus the community is divided and the only reasonable way to retain both sides is to release distinct servers that cater to both segments. We will play the old versions, the only question is if Blizzard will decide they want our money.
    That's the essence of the issue. There's no way anybody on this forum can possibly know the amount of revenue reintroducing Legacy realms would bring for Blizzard. The pro-Legacy folks are convinced it'd bring about a Renaissance era of WoW... suddenly this massive untapped subsection of gamers who've been displaced by retail WoW for so long will dole cash out hand-over-fist and frolic peacefully into eternity on their 12 year version of game. The anti-Legacy folks are skeptical of this proposed utopia and instead feel as though the upkeep of the Legacy realms may take away from the version of the game they currently play. There's also the potential for Blizzard could fuck everything up for both groups we'd end up with players from each camp pointing disapproving fingers at them for failing to produce exactly what they wanted.

I think the best solution is somewhere in the middle (pristine servers) but despite the hype and traction this movement is garnering right now, I personally believe it's still the wrong time for it to happen. WoW is not in dire straights just yet despite what the pro-Legacy folks will tell you, the sky is not falling. WoW is not a sinking ship. Legion is just around the corner and I think the WoD content drought is causing people to incorrectly identify their desire for new content as desire for any content. But that's my opinion and being that it's an opinion on the internet, I know I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2016-05-02 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Curious - which patch of Vanilla would people want brought back ? The latest one, or some intermediate one ?
    re roll it, start with the Patch 1.1.0 and move on up from that. So you are basically living the original retail version of the game in real time. And in two years you get Patch 1.12.0. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-05-02 at 11:12 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    I think that there should be some middle ground.
    Most people who had the time to no life to rank 14 or whatever back then, by now don't have the time cuz of real life commitments.
    There should be a sense of achievement, sure, but not to the point where you had to live in the game.
    The game should not be evolving around players with more commitments than they used to, it would be a much better game I'd they had not done this, it could have actually been better all around because, instead of spreading negativity on how the game sucks, they would instead say, "I'm too old for this" or "I love this game but my life takes priority"

Well, even on these subjects vanilla supporters would be divided. Some want it exactly as it was then, and some wouldn't mind some qol improvements then?
    So then, where would it stop? More patches? New content? Or same stuff over and over? Would everyone agree on this?
    like i said, its just a matter of how far you take it.

but if you just give it to them exactly as it was i think it hurts far less people, since you know what to expect going in.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoBoom View Post
    The game should not be evolving around players with more commitments than they used to, it would be a much better game I'd they had not done this, it could have actually been better all around because, instead of spreading negativity on how the game sucks, they would instead say, "I'm too old for this" or "I love this game but my life takes priority"
    They are not going to go back to that anyway.
    How do you know what they would say? Gamers whine about stuff all the time.
    WoW players are divided, therefore there isn't a single opinion about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flakstorm View Post
    Ppl rage about paying a sub and playing same patch content for 14 months, so its safe to say that the playerbase would play vanilla for about 10 months and quit cause no new content. So it will probly be a fail.
    Pretty impressive if the general population can clear up to Naxx in 10months mate.
    Good luck with that.

Considering the average player wont hit 60 for 3months....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Bur they can clearly see in the figures how this philosophy failed, firing ghostcrawler as a scapegoat didn't help either

I see the problem with the divided community don't get me wrong. But they should take a side, causal or not, and stick to it.

This mentality of try to do cater to all and achieve no satisfaction with neither player group is only harmfull
    I agree that a lot of players quit over the lack of content, which is the direct outcome of making the game easy, everyone just runs through content within a month, get bored, quit till next time.

Deleted
    They are not going to go back to that anyway.
    How do you know what they would say? Gamers whine about stuff all the time.
    WoW players are divided, therefore there isn't a single opinion about this.
    Whining happens all the time anyways, what matters is when there is a lot of them all wanting the same thing such as vanilla servers, blizzard know most of us will come back and test out the new expansion every time because our nostalgia keeps us coming back, commitments or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Pretty impressive if the general population can clear up to Naxx in 10months mate.
    Good luck with that.

You're so right, that dude is delusional. Or the fact that on any progression type realm Naxx won't even be opened in 10 months... hell, not even AQ. The War Effort alone takes a handful of months. Or the fact that the content is not that trivial and itemization takes a very LONG time (2-4 drops per 40 players, instead of 8-10 drops for 20 as it is now).

But hey, let him keep spewing his delusional crap around! He might fool more of those anti-legacy dudes.

Also... players spend years on the same private realm, happily. At least content is stagnant there for a reason, but hey, 12-14 months of ICC, SoO and now HFC are just what the game requires, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Flakstorm View Post
    Ppl rage about paying a sub and playing same patch content for 14 months, so its safe to say that the playerbase would play vanilla for about 10 months and quit cause no new content. So it will probly be a fail.
    They spend months working on new patches, years working on new expansions, and for many players they only last a couple months max each, nowadays.

Why would it not be worth it to work on legacy to add "about 10 months" of content?

After the initial investment for legacy in general, it would also be easier to do the same for other expansions, making it up to 30 months of content just on the "legacy expansions".

What happens when they don't want to include new patches or run out of "Vanilla patches" and everyone starts complainning "No content" ?

Was the trouble of setting up everything worth it ?

Deleted
    The main argument I seem to see against Vanilla servers seems to be that people don't like the idea that resources are 'taken away' from the content they want. Even though this happens every expansion. Unless you love every element of WoW then time and money is sometimes being invested in things you don't want. Be that PVP, PVE twitter integration of even a Blizzard Teamspeak (is that even in WoW anymore?). The other argument I here is it will split us the community. I would argue Blizzard has already achieved that in a continued effort to ensure everyone can see all content without the need to play with others rather than alongside them.

As a consumer who has money to invest in a product that Blizzard chooses not to produce means I am spending that money elsewhere, this cant apply just to myself and the debate created suggests there is a significant number of people who would be interested in Vanilla servers.

The argument about content is an interesting one. Vanilla had a wealth of content on par, or greater than any other expansion and the time and effort required to see that content kept it relevant. For some gamers like myself it isnt about the destination but the journey there. Given my experiences in FFXIV grinding things with a view to a reward (being able to do more epic content) still seems to interest some players. Something people also forget is community driven content on vanilla servers (Southshore, Crossroads and Capital PVP raiding). A more intimate server also allowed conflict to flourish. I still have videos or 40v40 guild PVP fests in BRD (god bless TVL and the EU Burning Blade server).

I think the biggest issue Vanilla servers face has nothing to do with either cost, time or effort on Blizzards part. Its having to accept that there are growing cries that their new content, however polished, however available to all does not capture the same emotions as what they first put out. From an ego perspective, and we all have one that must be very difficult to accept.

We almost need something like a Legacy server to reduce burnout during content luls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    What happens when they don't want to include new patches or run out of "Vanilla patches" and everyone starts complainning "No content" ?

Was the trouble of setting up everything worth it ?
    You underestimate how long Vanilla content lasts. If legacy servers were opened right now, WoW would probably be dead before people got through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    We almost need something like a Legacy server to reduce burnout during content luls.

- - - Updated - - -

You underestimate how long Vanilla content lasts. If legacy servers were opened right now, WoW would probably be dead before people got through with it.
    Yeah, I don't think people would complain about a lack of content for VANILLA wow... That's like demanding new levels for super mario bros.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think people would complain about a lack of content for VANILLA wow... That's like demanding new levels for super mario bros.
    Didn't Nintendo release some map editor for Super Mario, so people *could* make new levels?

I thought there was a niche community of people attempting to make the most insanely difficult SM levels imaginable, but I thought the app they used was a Nintendo release...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Didn't Nintendo release some map editor for Super Mario, so people *could* make new levels?

I thought there was a niche community of people attempting to make the most insanely difficult SM levels imaginable, but I thought the app they used was a Nintendo release...
    You're thinking of Super Mario Maker.

But remember, it's an unwavering fact that the original Mario levels are the best there will ever be and anybody who dares question their monolithic, Godlike perfection is clearly out of touch with reality. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post

Seeing how fast content is consumed nowadays, I don't think Vanilla woul last long.
    Last edited by ThunderTaco; 2016-05-02 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Good luck with that.

I don't think that today's average player would be inclined to play Vanilla...

Deleted
    And you really think a huge ass video game company should cater toto people who (no judgement) people who are literally too retarded to play the game normally?

Hey I'd really like to go fencing but I'm kind of too bad for it. Do you think I should go to the world fencing union and complain until they make it easier? I want a medal, too, you know?

There are actually games out there for people with reduced capabilities. There is absolutely no necessity at all to water down games designed for 'normal' people (notice the quotation marks).

I don't hate handicapped people, I'm not against inclusion. But the general public cannot slow down so that it's weakest members can keep up. That doesn't mean they'll be left behind. They will just not be racing at the front. And they'll need to live with that.

Hell I'm not handicapped and I'm not racing at the front. You don't see me complaining that stuff is too hard for me and that it should be made easier. That's just such a bullshit attitude.