Deleted
    flying just doesnt work for wow anymore. it worked in wotlk but nowadays it doesnt seem like blizzard can make good content that wont be ruined by flying.

Quote Originally Posted by moogletimes View Post
    flying just doesnt work for wow anymore. it worked in wotlk but nowadays it doesnt seem like blizzard can make good content that wont be ruined by flying.
    That has got to be the most dishonest thing i've seen in months.

You're telling me you think a game company that can pull Diablo 3 put of the trash with RoS, can give us both HotS and Hearthstone, not to mention Overwatch....somehow CAN'T handle flight, despite doing exactly that for the past 8 years???

No offense, but you're just plain wrong.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-05-13 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Handicapping yourself is still a dumb compression.

Also what EXACTLY you do in vanilla btw.? You and your friends uneqipped your weapons and kill Ragnaros?
    handicapping yourself is a dumb compression??
    so you are pro flying, since flying makes the game a little easier. and handicapping yourself is dumb.

we did smash MC rather quickly, but then we had 7 high warlord's in the guild.. and the pvp gear back then was very powerful
    we would pvp with trinkets and weapons only.
    do 5 mans with naked healer, or Tank had to be not prot.
    boxing match duels
    little things here and there for either a challenge or straight up shits and giggles.

edit
    i said in vanilla not because the good ol days .. but because that was the last time i remember running things with randoms (albeit players from my server only) where the people in the dungeon had real conversations while playing.
    Last edited by Kulthar; 2016-05-13 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulthar View Post
    i said in vanilla not because the good ol days .. but because that was the last time i remember running things with randoms (albeit players from my server only) where the people in the dungeon had real conversations while playing.
    I had even more of that in burning crusade, with flying in the game so that has little to do with it.
    The social aspect of the game got killed long ago by now tho from all LFG, CRZ stuff that made any kind of social contact pointless since its very little chance that the players you play a dungeon with today will ever see you again. :<

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MMORPGs without flying feel inherently claustrophobic to me now. Feeling imprisoned on the ground with no ability to go up just doesn't feel good anymore after experiencing flying in WoW for so long. The genie is out of the bottle, pandora's box has been opened. You simply can't go backwards on this point, they already tried that and were really aggressive about it too, to their misfortune.

But there is no reason to see it from a negative lens. For a long time, flying in WoW has kept me playing in spite of new competitors. It is flying that is responsible for my long tenure with this game. I think the only other major game that has it is Final Fantasy and I simply did not care for that game at all, not to mention that it was a fairly recent addition (so it has no bearing on my past game preferences).

In short, it makes better business sense for them to capitalize on flying and build around it, rather than fighting it stubbornly.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    That has got to be the most dishonest thing i've seen in months.

You're telling me you think a game company that can pull Diablo 3 put of the trash with RoS, can give us both HotS and Hearthstone, not to mention Overwatch....somehow CAN'T handle flight, despite doing exactly that for the past 8 years???

No offense, but you're just plain wrong.
    The guy you quoted is right. WoW was built from the ground up to be a.... ground based game. They fiddled around with whether flying could have gimmick value in WOTLK and TBC and MOP (storm peaks questing, tbc and mop flying games and puzzles etc) but once that fizzled out we've all come to the same realisation: WoW was, and always will be, a game that was better experienced from the ground.

I get that you want flying to be a compelling, integrated and pivotal part of wow. But thats like wanting an apple to be an orange.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    The guy you quoted is right. WoW was built from the ground up to be a.... ground based game. They fiddled around with whether flying could have gimmick value in WOTLK and TBC and MOP (storm peaks questing, tbc and mop flying games and puzzles etc) but once that fizzled out me and my selfish opinion has come to the realisation: WoW was, and always will be, a game that was better experienced from the ground.

I get that you want flying to be a compelling, integrated and pivotal part of wow. But thats like wanting an apple to be an orange.
    Fixed it for you, please don't bunch me up with your stupid opinions and no one else either for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    The guy you quoted is right. WoW was built from the ground up to be a.... ground based game. They fiddled around with whether flying could have gimmick value in WOTLK and TBC and MOP (storm peaks questing, tbc and mop flying games and puzzles etc) but once that fizzled out we've all come to the same realisation: WoW was, and always will be, a game that was better experienced from the ground.

I'm sorry...what? 8 years of having flight at max level in every expansion up until WoD is a "gimmick"?

Even assuming that flight never reaches the levels of integration that I'd personally like to see happen, just re-instating flight during current content would be no better or worse than previous expansions before WoD and Legion. Let me re-phrase that so it makes more sense:

8 years of flying at max level. Two expansions which are widely considered to be the height of the WoW experience(TBC and Wotlk), all thrown away for an experiment during the expansion which is generally considered to be the worst, overall, to date.

It's fine if you want to personally dislike flying. But don't sit here and try to dismiss having flight through a vast majority of the game's lifespan as a "gimmick", or claim that your personal views on what makes the game a better experience applies to everyone. Because it doesn't.

EDIT: In before some jackass takes my last sentence and twists it. My opinion on what makes the game better involves giving people the choice to play how they want, not imposing one single, limited playstyle on everyone.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-05-13 at 11:19 AM.

EDIT: In before some jackass takes my last sentence and twists it. My opinion on what makes the game better involves giving people the choice to play how they want, not imposing one single, limited playstyle on everyone.
    Back before WoD debuted, and the anti-fliers had some benefit of doubt, I thought that they simply couldn´t understand the boldened part.

Now, after WoD and hundreds of posts in this thread, I´m convinced that many anti-fliers don´t want to understand that point. Its not that they don´t want to fly, as many readily admit that they´ll fly if ther option is there, but have control lust: they want to force others into aquiescence, and what better way to get this feeling, than to take something from others and see them squirm?

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed how the flying was unlocked in WoD, It was like a reason to do the principal content (well maybe treasures didn´t count) It just suck that it wasn´t available at the begining and they said that flying won´t be available again until all the comunity said them that they were wrong with that stupid idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    MMORPGs without flying feel inherently claustrophobic to me now. Feeling imprisoned on the ground with no ability to go up just doesn't feel good anymore after experiencing flying in WoW for so long. The genie is out of the bottle, pandora's box has been opened. You simply can't go backwards on this point, they already tried that and were really aggressive about it too, to their misfortune.

But there is no reason to see it from a negative lens. For a long time, flying in WoW has kept me playing in spite of new competitors. It is flying that is responsible for my long tenure with this game. I think the only other major game that has it is Final Fantasy and I simply did not care for that game at all, not to mention that it was a fairly recent addition (so it has no bearing on my past game preferences).

In short, it makes better business sense for them to capitalize on flying and build around it, rather than fighting it stubbornly.
    MMOs that don't have flying or fast travel systems are dinosaurs in terms of design. It is the year 2016 ... time to turn the page on "traveling is content"...but apparently that is what Blizz is doing with Legion World quests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kurama View Post
    I really enjoyed how the flying was unlocked in WoD, It was like a reason to do the principal content (well maybe treasures didn´t count) It just suck that it wasn´t available at the begining and they said that flying won´t be available again until all the comunity said them that they were wrong with that stupid idea.
    There was nothing enjoyable about it.

I enjoyed leveling up in BC, WotLK, Cata and MoP to unlock flying however.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    There was nothing enjoyable about it.

I enjoyed leveling up in BC, WotLK, Cata and MoP to unlock flying however.
    Just as a point of interest: Did you ever do the original unlock of flight form for Druids?

Just as a point of interest: Did you ever do the original unlock of flight form for Druids?
    I didn't do it but my bro did.

Deleted
    I did unlock epic flying on my druid. It was a good experience once, but I would not want to repeat it.

Some things get very pointless when repeating. Just like Pathfinder.

I was just thinking that it might be nice to have something like that as an option to unlock flight instead of grinding out pathfinder. For people who aren't into the whole explore/treasure hunting thing. Make it a long enough quest with enough objectives to be more or less equal effort as Pathfinder. The PVP guys could have a similar set of achievements to unlock too, in case they didn't want to screw around with Pathfinder either.

I don't know, I'm just in favor of more options. The whole Blizzard stance of "play how we want or GTFO" thing rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: On a side note, even TERA is capitalizing on the flying thing. Not that Tera is really all that amazing of a game, but I think it's telling that Blizzard's competitors in the genre are making attempts to strike at an obvious weakness in Blizzard's plan for WoW. So far that means GW2, FFXIV, and TERA are going with flight. I wonder how long it will be before we see something in SWTOR. lol!!!

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/g...-skies-in-tera

What's interesting is that the flying mounts in that game appear to only be able to fly for a certain amount of time, after which they run out of gas and go into a glide-only mode. They can also only be used in certain zones.

EDIT2: Anyone else find it more than a little hypocritical how much of a stink Blizzard is making about how many copies of overwatch sold, as well as how many players there are, after deciding to not report how many subscribers there are in WoW anymore? It's stuff like that which makes me more and more skeptical of anything Blizzard says these days.

- - - Updated - - -

So, does anyone think that the new "Action Camera" setting could greatly benefit flying combat? Would help a lot with the issues of not being able to tell distance and such. I'm really starting to think that there's less and less reason to avoid flying combat with all these new features.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-05-14 at 11:40 PM.

EDIT2: Anyone else find it more than a little hypocritical how much of a stink Blizzard is making about how many copies of overwatch sold, as well as how many players there are, after deciding to not report how many subscribers there are in WoW anymore? It's stuff like that which makes me more and more skeptical of anything Blizzard says these days.
    That was pretty obvious from the start. Blizzard made a point of making public every subscription increase WoW had in a decade. Why it would, suddenly, be considered *not* important anymore?

Deleted
    The WoD model was a good compromise, so I'm glad they're doing the same thing in Legion. It means they can make leveling and max level content a lot more rewarding, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest of Souls View Post
    The WoD model was a good compromise, so I'm glad they're doing the same thing in Legion. It means they can make leveling and max level content a lot more rewarding, in my opinion.
    It was never a compromise with WoD because they tried to removed flying forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest of Souls View Post
    You mean, the model that cost them several million subscriptions in a few months? THAT model?

And you are glad that you have less than half players than you had in your game about a year ago?

How long are the dungeon/BG/Ashram/Raid finder queues now?

Quote Originally Posted by Connll View Post
    You mean, the model that cost them several million subscriptions in a few months? THAT model?

And you are glad that you have less than half players than you had in your game about a year ago?

How long are the dungeon/BG/Ashram/Raid finder queues now?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17604434167

Never again. We are nearing the anniversary of that infamous day where they announced the removal of flight on a third party website heading into Memorial Day weekend.

That is NOT a compromise. That is all out war by the developers.