Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Really hope the community takes off with the Map Editor. Due to lack of funds right now I only buy games I know will be a big time sink. With the map editor my playtime could be endless.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No it hasn't. Its always been someones opinion they take bribes. There has never been any proof they take any bribes for there reviews.

There is only one known time and that was with Gamespot over that square enix game I can't remember the name to atm.

It is highly illegal for them to take any kind of bribes for a review and not post that its a paided promotion. So if you got a source that can back up said claim link it. If not then once again its someones opinion and its different then yours.

To add to this you do know IGN has more then one reviewer and each ones opinion is different right?
    Can probably be skirt around with "advertise with us for good reviews" or "give us exclusive previews for good reviews".

The former is pretty much what GameSpot did.

Given how corrupt US Congress is I find it hard to believe that review sites that rely on exclusives to drive views and are paid via the ad money of the very companies whose products they review, are clean.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Don't get so defensive, I didn't even mention you. Breaking the pacing is a valid complaint, one I don't agree with but I didn't even mention that particular aspect.

I can't see any other reason other than "you're bad at it" if you die in the platforming sections. It's that simple, you failed at the process of jumping from one platform to another platform because you made a mistake, you made a mistake because you weren't good enough. It's not me bragging, I'm simply drawing conclusions.
    It isn't about dying. Hell, this particular section doesn't even kill you when you fall from absurd heights. It's just that climbing and climbing, and looking around to find some obscure hole you can jump into. It's fine for secrets, but slows down main game sections.

It's especially jarring since next level nicely mixes these parts with fast paced combat and floating platforms are a perfect way to avoid getting surrounded, instead of serving as a tediously long elevator replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Can probably be skirt around with "advertise with us for good reviews" or "give us exclusive previews for good reviews".

The former is pretty much what GameSpot did.

Given how corrupt US Congress is I find it hard to believe that review sites that rely on exclusives to drive views and are paid via the ad money of the very companies whose products they review, are clean.
    To be honest no reviewer is clean.

Don't get a review code ur review will be bias.
    Do get a review code your review will be bias.
    Get some exclusive video your review will be bias.
    Hated the last version your review will be bias.
    Liked the last version your review will be bias.

There is always a grain of bias in everyone's review and that's why I don't form my opinion based on others. I lissen consider what they said but at the end of the day my opinion on a game is mine alone. But then you get people who go one step byound and say things like (IGN was paided or wasn't paided so the review is good/bad). If they can prove it then report it and if not keep said comment to yourself.

I watched the IGN video and the guy had valid points about the multiplayer and its the same points I had when I played the Alpha/Beta. Do I agree with his score??? no because I haven't played or beat it to form my own. If my so happens to be the same the its the same based on my opinion alone.

I accept others opinions are different then mine and a 7 is not a bad game at all. IMO Zelda Majora's Mask and FF7 is the best two games I ever played, I totally understand if someone disagree's.

It really can't tho because that's still a promotion. If IGN (Or anyone) takes any kind of money(Or Promotion) for a review then they MUST tell the public somewhere on there review.

That's why here lately alot of reviewers have stated such things as (This game play experience was done in a controlled environment). I don't think a multi-million dollar company is going to risk getting fined,sued or whatever over a 6min video.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-05-16 at 11:58 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    For anyone looking to pick up the game, I can only recommend it if you want a shooter without much story. I would advise you to go to sites like kinguin though because the game is around 25 euros cheaper. The 60 euro price tag on Steam is somewhat high.

Very little lore to be had, as the story is quite shallow imo but it does not bother me in the slightest. I expected as much buying this game. But combat feels very fluid, violent takedowns and the variety in guns keeps it fun for me.

tl:dr buy it on kinguin or a similar site and have fun for sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    No you are not a Demon. I believe you are actually Martian, as in this timeline the Martians left Mars and populated Earth (and became us regular Humans). You're just an amazingly powerful one.
    Nope! Both wrong. It's WAY better! Massive spoilers. Spoiling the game really.

You're Doom Marine from Doom 1. You've been in hell since the last canonical game (Doom 3 / Doom 64 / Final Doom ... it's unclear because of loose continuity... basically the last Doom game... and it may have been all of them in different universes), which happened in another universe(s). You were eventually defeated by the forces of Hell and put in a sarcophagus because they respected you as the "Doom Slayer", a recurring destroyer in their history who keeps the lid on Hell. UAC [U]in this universe [/U]found the sarcophagus and revived you. "Armageddon" is a recurring event in Hell (in the first Hell map the Demon voice talks about "the last Armageddon" when you click on one of the tablets).

The office of the robot guy has 3 statues of ancient knights, one for Doom 3's events, one for Doom 64s events and one for Final Doom (sequel to Doom 2)'s events... all of which were done by one guy, the original Doom Marine (I realize this is difficult to reconcile with Doom 3 but it's considered canoical it's the same guy).

Doom 4 is not a reboot... it's a sequel!!!!
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-05-16 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Nope! Both wrong. It's WAY better! Massive spoilers. Spoiling the game really.

spoiler
    Ha, thanks for that info! Makes a lot more sense, I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I don't mind platforming. However checkpoint systems have no place on PCs and even on consoles it's remnant of memory slot card era or older where save mechanics didn't even exist and levels were divided by them >.<
    Frankly it makes the game much harder.

It prevents "F6" quick save when things are good and "F9" to quick load and try again every 20 seconds of a hard part of the fight. I really appreciated trying, failing, and designing a different approach in my head to win, rather than quick saving everytime i got halfway through a big fight relatively unscathed "just in case". That's how many people grew up beating Doom 1/2 on nightmare and it's good it discouraged it.

Also it would be lame if Ultra-Nightmare, where dead means dead, allowed that.

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to tackle that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to read it is being so well received will pick it up during the summer sale on steam even if it only has a minor price reduction i have more spare time during my 3 weeks off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Wait? Checkpoints? Not quick-save option?

That is clinically brain-dead decision.
    Yeah that is really the biggest aggravation I have. It means I sometimes leave an area and move to the next one to check point and hope I can return to search for secrets because if I die, I'll be dammed if I have to redo it.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    The game feels intense and rewards you with a sense of "I'm a bad-ass." Probably this games greatest strength. It really does make you feel like a killing machine.
    I really like how everything requires you to crush, tear, or smash. Want a weapon upgrade? You literally rip it out of a drone. Want a praetor token? You tear it out of their uniform. Want to shut down a gore nest? You crush it, letting the blood splash all over.

Frankly it makes the game much harder.

It prevents "F6" quick save when things are good and "F9" to quick load and try again every 20 seconds of a hard part of the fight. I really appreciated trying, failing, and designing a different approach in my head to win, rather than quick saving everytime i got halfway through a big fight relatively unscathed "just in case". That's how many people grew up beating Doom 1/2 on nightmare and it's good it discouraged it.

Also it would be lame if Ultra-Nightmare, where dead means dead, allowed that.

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to tackle that.
    You make a good point. It's true that when I've failed and redid it, I get better each time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest no reviewer is clean.
    True. But you should at least try!

It really can't tho because that's still a promotion. If IGN (Or anyone) takes any kind of money(Or Promotion) for a review then they MUST tell the public somewhere on there review.
    It's clear that banners on their pages are paid for promotions.

Their reviews in theory aren't affected. In theory.

The Gamespot scandal brought the whole thing into the spotlight. IGN and other big pre/review sites are very similar to Gamespot in the kind of coverage the do ...
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Good to read it is being so well received will pick it up during the summer sale on steam even if it only has a minor price reduction i have more spare time during my 3 weeks off.
    It's $40 on G2A right now. It WAS half off during presale, though. But that's better than any reduction you will get from Steam right now. They will likely only bring it down to $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Benigne View Post
    For anyone looking to pick up the game, I can only recommend it if you want a shooter without much story. I would advise you to go to sites like kinguin though because the game is around 25 euros cheaper. The 60 euro price tag on Steam is somewhat high.

Very little lore to be had, as the story is quite shallow imo but it does not bother me in the slightest. I expected as much buying this game. But combat feels very fluid, violent takedowns and the variety in guns keeps it fun for me.

tl:dr buy it on kinguin or a similar site and have fun for sometime.

Actually there is more story than people realize, it's just not brought to the forefront. The game is about GAMEPLAY rather than the story being in your face. Which is perfect for DooM.

You don't play DooM for the story, you play DooM to slaughter Demons and make Hell itself fear you.
    Last edited by Keile; 2016-05-16 at 03:10 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yeah that is really the biggest aggravation I have. It means I sometimes leave an area and move to the next one to check point and hope I can return to search for secrets because if I die, I'll be dammed if I have to redo it.
    You bring up an interesting point.

Maybe it's because a traumatic moment in my childhood was missing the Black materia / Bahamut Zero (on the train) in my otherwise perfect Final Fantasy VII save on PSX (i'm half kidding, but I always remembered that haha), but I'm hyper completionist when I play games now and have been for years. Getting all the secrets, all the achievement hunting, on the first run through of the game.

I think it brings out kind of a bad quality in playing the game. If Doom should be about combat, maybe instead of spending an hour running through halls looking for secrets (granted part of the original Doom model), I should just play through straight and focus on fighting and getting through levels without being concerned about "secrets". However in Doom, secret-finding gets you stuff that increases combat potency.

It's not Doom's fault really. It could be a conditioning brought about by modern gaming or just YEARS of games that had secret/achievement hunting. But part of me thinks that perhaps by design, Doom especially but most games should lock "the hunt for collectibles" and things like that to the second play-through, for more replay value, rather than allow it in the first.

Just a thought. Doom was amazing, but there were lots of times I was like "man I wish I could find this stupid secret so I can get back to killing demons, which i haven't done in 20 minutes".

In my next play through I need to make an effort to not use the Gauss Rifle, it completely trivializes the game. Large demons are 2-3 shot, and it made the bossfights an absolute joke. Other than that, extremely good game.

Deleted
    I find this game pretty damn dull.

No story, no dialogues or even some significant amount of voice acting, no plot, no friendly npcs interaction, no vehicle action, "DOOM SLAYER" (I facepalmed when I heard it), difficulty is pretty low even on Ultra Violence or w/e is called (died more due to failing at platforming than to mobs), extremely linear. The entire game seems to be only about killing monsters, and when you're not killing monsters, you are running towards the next arena-like area where you kill monsters.

It's a good game for the year 1993, unfortunately we are in 2016 and a lot of players want more than that. I mean how can we compare a masterpiece like Wolfenstein: New Order to Doom of 2016?! There is no comparison whatsoever.

Played 6 hours and got bored and bailed. I guess I should have trusted my gut and stopped playing it before I went over the 2 hour timelimit for Steam refunds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    I find this game pretty damn dull.

No story, no dialogues or even some significant amount of voice acting, no plot, no friendly npcs interaction, no vehicle action, "DOOM SLAYER" (I facepalmed when I heard it), difficulty is pretty low even on Ultra Violence or w/e is called (died more due to failing at platforming than to mobs), extremely linear. The entire game seems to be only about killing monsters, and when you're not killing monsters, you are running towards the next arena-like area where you kill monsters.

It's a good game for the year 1993, unfortunately we are in 2016 and a lot of players want more than that. I mean how can we compare a masterpiece like Wolfenstein: New Order to Doom of 2016?! There is no comparison whatsoever.

Played 6 hours and got bored and bailed. I guess I should have trusted my gut and stopped playing it before I went over the 2 hour timelimit for Steam refunds.
    I realize everyone is different, but all you're naming is why I like it. I want a game that hearkens back to the original Doom. Doom 3 sucked for a lot of reasons: too much story, too much RP, too many stupid "scare" gags. Doom, the new Doom, brings back the fast-paced, nearly story-less monster-killing mayhem a lot of us grew up with.

Just a thought. Doom was amazing, but there were lots of times I was like "man I wish I could find this stupid secret so I can get back to killing demons, which i haven't done in 20 minutes".
    Even the original was the same way, so I get that it can be even more annoying now since they tied it into upgrading your gear.

I realize everyone is different, but all you're naming is why I like it. I want a game that hearkens back to the original Doom. Doom 3 sucked for a lot of reasons: too much story, too much RP, too many stupid "scare" gags. Doom, the new Doom, brings back the fast-paced, nearly story-less monster-killing mayhem a lot of us grew up with.
    Personally I think DOOM can have a story and be just fine even if its in ur face about it.

The problem with Doom 3 was that everything was bad. That's just my opinion tho.

Yeah it does really slow down when you stop to look for secrets, but the originals did that as well.;

BUT the one thing the originals had that this one doesn't? Humping Walls to try and find hidden doors!

"OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF!" *door opens* YAY!
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think DOOM can have a story and be just fine even if its in ur face about it.

The problem with Doom 3 was that everything was bad. That's just my opinion tho.
    Doom 3 was bad all over, yes. The flashlight was stupid, the extreme sparseness of monsters to kill, the constant repeat of the same "scare" tactics over and over - lights out, panel falls, zombie crawls out was so grating.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Yeah it does really slow down when you stop to look for secrets, but the originals did that as well.;

BUT the one thing the originals had that this one doesn't? Humping Walls to try and find hidden doors!

"OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF!" *door opens* YAY!
    Considering how much more complicated and larger the maps are, I'd say it's a good thing we don't wall hump anymore.

Doom 3 was bad all over, yes. The flashlight was stupid, the extreme sparseness of monsters to kill, the constant repeat of the same "scare" tactics over and over - lights out, panel falls, zombie crawls out was so grating.
    I still remember a time I was playing Doom 3 and I turned down a hallway. When I reached the end I turned right and all I see was some orange glowing things. Turns out that thing was a monster that jumped up and scared the shit out of me.

Stopped playing at that moment. I don't mind jump scare games but Doom 3 was trying so hard to be a mix of so much and it failed at everything. Also fuck the lack of ammo and the flash light in the original version.

Part of me still wants to try to play and beat it, But fuck that game in soooo many ways.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-05-16 at 04:46 PM.