Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Well, that was 40 euros down the drain.

Graphics: Nice enough.
    Plot/Setting: Same tired, old demonic invasion shit.
    Gameplay: 1. Run around like a maniac so the demons can't hit you while you're gunning them down. 2. Go to step 1.

If you're like me who haven't really been enjoying games like this in years but thought Doom might just be the one after a long while: save your money for something else.
    You haven't played the original ID games, have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    Also, does anybody know why at certain area's within (I think) each level you hear footsteps going on at the other side of the wall? Not normal footsteps but I imagined it being a Arachnotron from Doom 2. There where points you'd hear 'it' walking around with a metal on metal sound but there where no secrets left to be discovered. So alas I never found out what the footsteps where.
    When it comes to sounds, I'd assume bugs rather than hidden secrets. Had few cases like that - heard something annoying every time I opened some random door. Looked around and it turned out that a corpse wouldn't stay still and kept hitting a box with its hand. Or a chair kept bumping into desk. Or some other annoying sound was going through walls for no reason.

Sure, it's possible it was some actual secret, but these cases made me rather skeptical.

10+ Year Old Account

What else would anyone expect Doom too be about? If you don't like the game, fine but this is a just a stupid statement.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    Isn't the entire Doomslayer story basically Doom 3? The doomslayer going into hell, finding the Titan, slaying it etc etc At least that's what I was thinking.

Agreed on the boss battles! I fought harder 'rooms' in the game than the boss battles where.

Also, does anybody know why at certain area's within (I think) each level you hear footsteps going on at the other side of the wall? Not normal footsteps but I imagined it being a Arachnotron from Doom 2. There where points you'd hear 'it' walking around with a metal on metal sound but there where no secrets left to be discovered. So alas I never found out what the footsteps where.
    My question is since I haven't bought it yet, are there Arachnotrons and Spider Mastermind?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    My question is since I haven't bought it yet, are there Arachnotrons and Spider Mastermind?
    No arachnotrons, yes to spider mastermind.

Deleted

Gameplay: 1. Run around like a maniac so the demons can't hit you while you're gunning them down. 2. Go to step 1.

If you're like me who haven't really been enjoying games like this in years but thought Doom might just be the one after a long while: save your money for something else.
    Well I prefer it to countless military shooters where enemies just use instant hit weapons and the gameplay has barely any skill involved in it (BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL!). There are very few AAA-quality "classic" FPS shooters coming out, I'm very glad that Doom is closer to classic Doom and not COD.

I wish for more releases like that. Fuck cinematic, embrace fun!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you come to Doom expecting anything other than a high-octane arcade shooty bloodbath youre going to have a bad time. For the newest installment of "Hiding behind chest-high walls while your heath regenerates" shooter, look to one of the new CoD or BF games. I hear the trailer for the new CoD game is being warmly received by fans.

Let me fix this review for you:

Graphics: Some of the best out there that runs at a reliable framerate (60fps or close to it) regardless of platform of choice. ID Tech 6 is an amazing game engine.
    Plot/Setting: Plot - DOOM Setting - Mars. Now go kill shit.
    Gameplay: OMG I actually have to Circle Strafe to kill bigger enemies. Guys, it's 2016 and Circle Strafing actually feels REFRESHING for once! HOLY SHIT, MIND IS BLOWN! Also: Doom. The Gameplay is Doom. Please refer to Doom 1, 2, Final, and 64 (but not 3....3 was completely different). It goes back to the ROOTS of FPS when it was about keeping it simple.

Fuck reloading.

Fuck cover systems.

Fuck standing still and taking time to aim while your AI buddies either do the work for you are are completely useless.

And FUCK regenerating health systems. (Oh oh, you got shot in the head and your screen is bloody! BETTER HIDE FOR A FEW SECONDS UNTIL YOUR HEALING FACTOR KICKS IN! Seriously.....every modern shooter out there makes you a Wolverine style mutant...)

JUST SHOOT BULLETS TILL IT'S DEAD OR YOU ARE, because THIS. IS. DOOOOOOOOM!

(Seriously....I love this game. It is such a breath of fresh air in todays market saturated by overly realistic military shooters like CoD. It is such a nice change of pace to go back to the basics and remember where it all started. This game is doing well overall, so I am really hopeful for a Doom 2 that is similar to this one. PERHAPS we will leave Mars and go to Earth like in the original Doom 2....)
    Last edited by Keile; 2016-05-19 at 07:03 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted

Don't bother, dude, this thread is swarming with hipsters who enjoy a very simple, no story, no plot game, which is exactly and the same as a very old incarnation of itself from 23 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    Don't bother, dude, this thread is swarming with hipsters who enjoy a very simple, no story, no plot game, which is exactly and the same as a very old incarnation of itself from 23 years ago.
    There is actually a lot more story and plot going on than you realize.

It's just not thrown in your face and you actually have to pay attention and read shit. The boring games are ones like CoD where it holds your hands the whole way through (please stay in the extremely linear hallway-like level. You only have the illusion of freedom! DO NOT STRAY FROM THE HALLWAY OR YOU BE INSTANTLY KILLED!)

Whereas Doom focuses on what's important: The gameplay. See they understand that a game should be fun. It's refreshing in todays market that is saturated by generic military shooters that are basically all the same damn thing as the next.

And how does the saying go? If it's not broke, don't fix it!
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I thought hipsters were the ones enjoying story heavy walking simulators nowadays? I AM SO CONFUSED!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I thought hipsters were the ones enjoying story heavy walking simulators nowadays? I AM SO CONFUSED!
    He's being a contrarian with his definition of hipster. He is literally being a hipster about the usage of the term hipster, my head fucking hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    He's being a contrarian with his definition of hipster. He is literally being a hipster about the usage of the term hipster, my head fucking hurts.
    Hipsterception!

*puts on a a trilby ontop of another trilby*

Though lets be fair: The kid probably wasn't even conceived by the time Doom 1 and 2 were already considered older games. He just doesn't know any better.

He probably has never had to use DoS to run a game before :O

I'm the real hipster here. I enjoy both walking simulators and hyper-fast FPS games, but hate boring-midrange spunkgargleweewee.

Lol at all the hate over a game that's essentially an old classic shooter with a really nice new paint job.

That's not intended to be a slight to Doom, btw. Friend of mine has it and has thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm waiting to see if it goes on any sort of sale during the Steam Summer Sale (VERY doubtful that happens, but hey, can always dream). I wasn't a day 1 purchaser due to the last game with the Doom name being a turd (Doom 3).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Lol at all the hate over a game that's essentially an old classic shooter with a really nice new paint job.

That's not intended to be a slight to Doom, btw. Friend of mine has it and has thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm waiting to see if it goes on any sort of sale during the Steam Summer Sale (VERY doubtful that happens, but hey, can always dream). I wasn't a day 1 purchaser due to the last game with the Doom name being a turd (Doom 3).
    Doom 3 was far from a turd.

But it was far from perfect. It was a decent horror-shooter and still better than a lot of other shooters at the time (and it also set the bar for graphics when it came out).

This DooM is.....well it's DooM. There is no other way to explain it other than it is DooM. Everything you expect from DooM is in DooM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Doom 3 was far from a turd.

But it was far from perfect. It was a decent horror-shooter and still better than a lot of other shooters at the time (and it also set the bar for graphics when it came out).

This DooM is.....well it's DooM. There is no other way to explain it other than it is DooM. Everything you expect from DooM is in DooM.
    Well, that's just like...our opinions.

All signs I've seen of this new incarnation of Doom pretty much tickle the old school shooter boner I've had for the better part of the past decade, when modern military shooters became pretty much the only sort of shooter to hit the market (yet none of them will ever top the fun I had with BF1942's Desert Combat mod).

Here's hoping the success of Doom will help bolster other efforts to revive some old FPS name plates. Specifically, maybe there will be more interest in the crowdsourced UT that's in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Well, that's just like...our opinions.

All signs I've seen of this new incarnation of Doom pretty much tickle the old school shooter boner I've had for the better part of the past decade, when modern military shooters became pretty much the only sort of shooter to hit the market (yet none of them will ever top the fun I had with BF1942's Desert Combat mod).

Here's hoping the success of Doom will help bolster other efforts to revive some old FPS name plates. Specifically, maybe there will be more interest in the crowdsourced UT that's in development.
    It'd be nice to see a new UT and a new Quake. Quake 4 just didn't quite feel like old school Quake....

Hopefully now that ID has realized that going back to their series roots works...we will see another classic Quake.

I AM HOWEVER okay with story driven Wolfensteins. I think that series lends itself to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting how some people say, "If I wanted story, I would read a book", while others say,"No story, no plot is a hipster's thing". I guess you can't please everyone no matter what game design you implement...

I personally like both gameplay-focused and story-focused games. My favorite story-based games ever are Planescape: Torment and Mass Effect series; my favorite gameplay-based games ever are Starcraft 2 and older ID Software games. Am I like double-hipster?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Snagged a pretty good deal on the game and I'm glad I did. It's mindless fun, exactly what I would expect and want out of a Doom game.