Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Bodily integrity is part of these [human] rights.
    Um, how does mandating a handshake as a greeting procedure undermine the "bodily integrity"?

Such a law may be completely bonkers, but it wouldn't be harmful (assuming proper hygiene of all parties and excluding people with contagious diseases).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    Respect to Switzerland, seriously.
    Why? I'm sure that if these thing happened in the USA we would be laughing at it. You are not forced to shake hands with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Not shaking hands with someone does not fall under any actual discrimination laws that I'm aware of in any nation.

Otherwise, I'd hate to see all the charges brought against people who open doors for women....but not men!!! /dramaticTheme
    Not to mention this whole sex thing. You're discriminating against those gay men that have the right to demand you perform oral sex on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    And what should the punishment be then?
    Naturally they will be ostracized if they insult most of the community, that would be on them. Fining someone for not shaking hands is dumb.

Imagine if someone had you fined for not responding to a "hello".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Yes, the deal is though not that he didn't shake hands, but he specifically didn't shake hands with women. If he'd have not shaken hands with anyone I doubt it would have been such a big deal.
    They will either stay shunned or adapt. That's as far as it should go.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Um, how does mandating a handshake as a greeting procedure undermine the "bodily integrity"?

Such a law may be completely bonkers, but it wouldn't be harmful (assuming proper hygiene of all parties and excluding people with contagious diseases).
    Because no one can force you to touch them against your will. Or touch you against your will. We have assault laws regulating that.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Why? I'm sure that if these thing happened in the USA we would be laughing at it. You are not forced to shake hands with people.
    Um, people get in trouble in US schools for being disrespectful to teachers, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Naturally they will be ostracized if they insult most of the community, that would be on them. Fining someone for not shaking hands is dumb.

Imagine if someone had you fined for not responding to a "hello".
    It's a school though. Schools have punishments. I feel like people in these threads have never been to schools before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    They will either stay shunned or adapt. That's as far as it should go.
    That is dangerous.
    If they don't mind being "shunned" and group up with similar individuals ultimately ghettos and subcommunities will form that do their own thing and employ their own laws. You do NOT want that to happen, as this is the complete opposite of integration.

- - - Updated - - -

Because no one can force you to touch them against your will. We have assault laws regulating that.
    Barring groping in a sexual sense (Boob/butt etc), I very much doubt that we have laws that deal with simple touches of the hands.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like people in these threads have never been to schools before.
    Not schools that fine parents for money. Definite no on that one.

(Kids willfully breaking stuff and parents asked to compensate excluded ofc)

Not schools that fine parents for money. Definite no on that one.

(Kids willfully breaking stuff and parents asked to compensate excluded ofc)
    No, I mean the people suggesting that social sanctions should be the only result of students being sexist little shits towards their teachers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, people get in trouble in US schools for being disrespectful to teachers, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    Parents aren't going to be fined for their disrespectul children however. The child will face the consequences with either detention, suspension or at worse expulsion.

Barring groping in a sexual sense (Boob/butt etc), I very much doubt that we have laws that deal with simple touches of the hands.
    Depends on who the "we" are. My country prohibits it. So does US (or at least some states do). The existence of harm is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems strange to me that a handshake would be legally mandated rather than simply a social grace, but eh, not my country.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Do this, or else...

I didn't know the Swiss hated freedom so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I mean the people suggesting that social sanctions should be the only result of students being sexist little shits towards their teachers.
    That's your interpretation though.
    Do we know that they were sexist and disrespectful towards her?
    Depends on who the "we" are. My country prohibits it. So does US (or at least some states do). The existence of harm is irrelevant.
    Seriously? I could get into trouble with the law by accidentally touching someones hand?
    That's even more insane than the swiss pseudo law. Oo

I find it odd that somehow shaking a person's hand denotes any measure of respect, bar the fact I can't even put myself in a situation where I'd shake a hand willingly cause frankly it's a silly gesture and irks me to no end. What is there in two people holding hands and attempting to sync their rise and fall that suggests respect for the person you're doing it with? Heck by forcing people to do it, you're taking away from that cause now it's just a compulsory gesture you must make or be fined. Though I guess I'm from a weird culture who showed their respect for the teacher by knuckling down and learning what they had to teach to the best of my ability >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Parents aren't going to be fined for their disrespectul children however. The child will face the consequences with either detention, suspension or at worse expulsion.
    Those punishments don't work though. Giving the kid a day off from school? How horrible.

Do this, or else...

I didn't know the Swiss hated freedom so much.
    Um, welcome to pretty much every school system ever?

7+ Year Old Account
    That's your interpretation though.
    Do we know that they were sexist and disrespectful towards her?
    Seriously? I could get into trouble with the law by accidentally touching someones hand?
    That's even more insane than the swiss pseudo law. Oo
    Not really the catch is that is has to be forced and the aggressor has to do it willfully.At least that's how it is in Bolivia

10+ Year Old Account
    Should have just said "I don't shake hands because its gross, sorry" and this would have been a non-issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    What is there in two people holding hands and attempting to sync their rise and fall that suggests respect for the person you're doing it with?
    Wasn't it initially a gesture denoting that both parties are unarmed and meet in peace?

7+ Year Old Account
    While I must admit I was wrong now that I think about it and a fine is a little over the top I recon they should have been told of the rules before hand (no pun intended) how they act is up to them a lecture on the rules would have been more suitable in this situation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Those punishments don't work though. Giving the kid a day off from school? How horrible.

Um, welcome to pretty much every school system ever?
    Yeah but it's pretty stupid when schools put this type of rules. Also a rich guy would simply piss at the economical sanctions and only the poor would be suffering the actual punishment.