Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like they're having fun to me. That's a good thing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    What and whom is it exactly harming that the police posted his photo?
    Confidence in the police, people viewing them as not serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like this was posted by another police department. It was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Dunno how it is in sweden, but in the US they are actually percieved as too serious / not human / scary. So showing them with basic human humor actually goes a LONG way to making them accessable and getting people to trust them.

What part of that post was hard for you to understand?
    your view point is hard to understand i'm trying to dig deeper because it seems like you're talking bullshit, i want to know if its the outfits the silly poses or your view of "OMG POLICE SHOULD SUPER SERIOUS 24/7"

you could move to america the police are really serious over there no fucking around, and they have a massive following of hatred towards them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

Dunno how it is in sweden, but in the US they are actually percieved as too serious / not human / scary. So showing them with basic human humor actually goes a LONG way to making them accessable and getting people to trust them.
    They're viewed as a joke for the most part, mostly thanks to our "Dialogpolis" who wants to solve people attacking them BY TALKING, "No, don't do that please", "We get sad if you hurt us" and such retarded stuff. People attacking the police should be expected to be met with violence, not them trying to get someone to be nice to them when they attack them.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're viewed as a joke for the most part, mostly thanks to our "Dialogpolis" who wants to solve people attacking them BY TALKING, "No, don't do that please", "We get sad if you hurt us" and such retarded stuff. People attacking the police should be expected to be met with violence, not them trying to get someone to be nice to them when they attack them.
    Ah. Then I can see the need to be seen as more serious. However, thats usually done though getting tougher on the job / PSA adverts.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...yes. Like I said, it's a cultural thing. The US police force could use more of this, but perhaps yours could use less. There absolutely has to be a balance between people respecting the authority of people, but not fearing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminded me of this:

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I don't really mind.

I think having a more approachable and friendly police is a good thing. Force and violence isn't always the best answer to resolve a situation.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2016-05-26 at 05:39 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Why do they do this?

10+ Year Old Account
    People serious about their jobs can still have irreverent fun together. Showing that irreverent fun humanize a them, which can help to make them more effective at their jobs, not less.

Reminds me a bit of the official instagram of the Reykjavík metropolitan police, most of these pics are the police just goofing around, tbh i feel it just shows that they aren't overly serious and scary, so they feel much more approachable.
    What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in the ground underneath a giant boulder you can’t move, with no hope of rescue. Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn’t been good to you so far, which given your current circumstances seems more likely, consider how lucky you are that it won’t be troubling you much longer.

– Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    People serious about their jobs can still have irreverent fun together. Showing that irreverent fun humanize a them, which can help to make them more effective at their jobs, not less.
    The police are suffering massive drop in confidence in Sweden, you know. Because they're a joke. Last survey I know about, 42% of them said their confidence for the police had dropped. 25% of the population have close to no confidence or very little confidence in the police.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2016-05-26 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The police are suffering massive drop in confidence in Sweden, you know. Because they're a joke.
    Was that lack of confidence due to goofy pictures in their off hours?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Was that lack of confidence due to goofy pictures in their off hours?
    The lack of confidence is due to various things, which these kind of things is included in. They're not perceived as serious and as an authority.

But you do you, let the police be a joke. I'd rather have a police that is serious and is an authority to people rather than a joke.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2016-05-26 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't care if they had posted it on their own personal facebook profiles, they shouldn't be using the official police facebook profile for their free time endeavors.
    The fact you're even taking anything Facebook related so serial is hilarious in itself.

OT: Can't hate on some guys having fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the divide in opinions here has a lot to do with how police are viewed in the posters countries.

In Norway, which I think is pretty similar to Sweden on this, the police are already seen as very approachable and human. Seeming more goofy isn't going to make people less scared of them, because no one is scared of them to begin with. It's just moving from "approachable, yet commanding of authority" to "approachable and goofy".

The problems they're facing are entirely different to places like the US. The problem they have here is that people are starting to get the impression that they can't deal with serious crime, and posting pictures of them prancing around in ballerina skirts is not the way to fix that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    The fact you're even taking anything Facebook related so serial is hilarious in itself.
    Because the police are a joke irl. Facebook just reflects the situation that exists irl.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of confidence is due to various things, which these kind of things is included in. They're not perceived as serious and as an authority.
    That should be fixed then. But banning goofy photos doesn't seem like it'll go far to change perception. I mean police in the US take photos like this sometimes, but people generally don't doubt their seriousness of effectiveness. If anything, people think American police are too tough.

I have a cousin who's a cop in Austin, TX. He dresses up in tights on the weekends and pretends to be a comic book superhero (The Defuser, he actually does have a Stan Lee comic about him). I'd post a photo, but I'm on my cell phone. But yeah, he looks really silly in the photos in his off hours. When he suits up for work though, no one doubts he can put a criminal down and subdue him in seconds.

Edit: Here's a photo of him.

Last edited by Reeve; 2016-05-26 at 06:25 PM.

Swedish police don't have to be macho, police in the US have to be macho, it's as simple as that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland