Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    It's inaccurate and irrelevant, the hall of fame shows the highest possible overclocks on a card. "Reviewers" haven't gotten the chance to overclock the card yet to the levels of the 980ti. You need to compare a 980ti with no overclock to a 1080.
    What he means is the RX480 score is 14491 and a 1080 28516 and not 11k like in the 2nd screenshot in the initial post

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    What he means is the RX480 score is 14491 and a 1080 28516 and not 11k like in the 2nd screenshot in the initial post
    Ah I see I thought we were getting at the 980ti is beating the 1080 my bad. Yes the second screenshot seemed to be very off.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Aye, when you consider RX 480 8GB version is $230 and an NVIDIA GTX 1080 will be what? $600-$700? bit of a no brainer if 2 out performs a single GTX 1080 really.
    A no-brainer cost-wise if the support is there to utilise that setup.
    Not all games do.
    Plus the physical issues of two cards vs one, such as potentially noise, power, heat etc.

Could even be some games will favour one manufacturer over the other.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-06-10 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    A no-brainer if the support is there to utilise that setup.
    Not all games do.
    Exactly plus you'll eventually run out of pci-e lanes for cards. And the more cards you add you get diminishing returns which is why Nvidia is backing down to only 2 card sli. And 2 1080s should beat say 4 480s because of diminishing returns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonatine185 View Post
    Very tempted to get the rx 480. Pretty impressive for only $200.
    Wonder if they're selling them at a loss just to take over the market or otherwise make a dent in the market

Got to admit I'm very tempted myself
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2016-06-10 at 10:31 PM.

Deleted
    Too bad barely any games take use of double gpu. So a 1080 still will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Wonder if they're selling them at a loss just to take over the market or otherwise make a dent in the market

It's quite small of a chip, so ~$200 ain't really low. Really it depends on if there will be a bigger or smaller card using Polaris 10 at some point so less chips get thrown out due to defects, hell some people are even speculation these chips are cut down versions of a 40 CU chip that will be announced soon, maybe even in the PC Gaming show during E3. Also there are rumors of European retailers having a large stock of 480s already, so it's looking like a big release for them and they are banking a lot on it.

In the end it wouldn't make much sense to sell these without getting at least some profit, they expect to sell a mountain of these, the rumored PS4 Neo will probably have this very chip in it. The margin may be small, but at this point they can't sell things at a loss anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Too bad barely any games take use of double gpu. So a 1080 still will be better.
    I was very confused when I was you and Form3r post same profile picture. Alot of games are starting to make use of Crossfire/Sli still not 100% but alot better than it used to be. And with Nvidia apparently making dual card SLI significantly better with the 1080 launch I'm quite excited to see numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly plus you'll eventually run out of pci-e lanes for cards. And the more cards you add you get diminishing returns which is why Nvidia is backing down to only 2 card sli. And 2 1080s should beat say 4 480s because of diminishing returns.
    But Crossfire has many, many, times more bandwidth than SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    But Crossfire has many, many, times more bandwidth than SLI.
    I havent done my research on this yet but you saw nvidias new sli bridge right? Significantly more bandwidth between your new cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I havent done my research on this yet but you saw nvidias new sli bridge right? Significantly more bandwidth between your new cards.
    900MB/s or 400MHz from what it seems for the old. 650MHz, which assumes 1.46GB/s. Or XDMA Crossfire which is 32GB/s@PCI-E 3.0

10+ Year Old Account
    New bridge is not even close to CFX.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    900MB/s or 400MHz from what it seems for the old. 650MHz, which assumes 1.46GB/s. Or XDMA Crossfire which is 32GB/s@PCI-E 3.0
    Makes me wonder why Nvidia is still going with SLI bridges.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Makes me wonder why Nvidia is still going with SLI bridges.
    Maybe because they think it looks cooler? XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post

Considering AMD's situation, the 480's are to capture market. So far, they haven't been pricing competitively with Nvidia. Slightly cheaper isn't enough to get people away from Nvidia but dramatically cheaper will. I predict Nvidia's 1060 will be clocked so high that it'll consume a large amount of power and produce a lot of heat, because of the 480.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    In the end it wouldn't make much sense to sell these without getting at least some profit, they expect to sell a mountain of these, the rumored PS4 Neo will probably have this very chip in it. The margin may be small, but at this point they can't sell things at a loss anymore.
    The price hike on cards is rather high. Think about this, the 1070 is a 1080 with disabled features, and GDDR5. It costs nearly the same to make both cards, if you ignore the GDDR5X. And some 1070's are perfectly working 1080's because the 1070's have higher demand. So essentially you're paying $200 more because they can make you. The same goes for the 970 and 980's, as well as the 390's and etc. Remember ATI took the 9700 Pro and gimped it to a 9500 for $100. Graphic cards don't cost that much. The argument is that AMD/Nvidia needs to recoup for R&D, but I don't believe that.

AMD is certainly making a profit, but would they make more with a higher price and lower sales output? Considering Steam Hardware Survey showing AMD almost non existent, I would think AMD is doing the right thing.

I'm actually surprised more benchmarks haven't started to surface yet, the cards are mean't to come out on the 29th of June aren't they? only 18 days time, you'd think they'd be giving reviewers cards by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    I'm actually surprised more benchmarks haven't started to surface yet, the cards are mean't to come out on the 29th of June aren't they? only 18 days time, you'd think they'd be giving reviewers cards by now.
    From what we know the NDA is in effect till the 29th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you have the NDA lifted at the same date the card releases? Wouldnt you want to show what it can do so people would buy it when it comes out?
    O well, I am waiting till October anyway, by then all this 1080/1070/480/490 shit should be solved and reviewed.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kay, I just ran this. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11319636

By the way, the Performance test is a 1280x720 test. -________- As can be seen here: https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark11

Hardly anything we should be caring about, 3D Mark or not.

My score, with a 970, should tell you all you need to know. GTX 970 > Radeon 480. haw haw haw.

Naw, I get it, my CPU is better, that's true, but even if I had that same CPU, the score would probably be fairly similar.

Here's what we've learned today: no, the OP's screenshots definitely aren't anything that should be trusted.

Edit! Seems I should have looked closer: so yeah, my score is 14% behind the Radeon 480... I guess I would have expected better, still. Also... a real GTX 1080 score: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11318836
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2016-06-11 at 11:11 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Naw, I get it, my CPU is better, that's true, but even if I had that same CPU, the score would probably be fairly similar.
    Your graphics score 15847, the radeon graphics score 18060. So nearly 14% behind.