Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Sooo...

i followed the advice and started last night in the prophecy league. Must say that the first silver con drop made me startle XD but it's really fun to get back and have this random things that can happen around the word.

Played like 1 hour so i'm just running around. Is it me or the personal inventory is really small and i have to go back and forth to town for selling stuff? Can i simply ignore most of the drops? Also i remeber a way to filter the droppeditem labels....
    You'll find that especially at low level pretty much everything is garbage. Affixes have a minimum level requirement, kind of like how higher level items in d3 are inherently better, which means items below level 60 or so just simply cannot be any good. I usually pick up slots that could be upgrades for me, like if I know I have especially awful gloves I'll pick up gloves but leave the rest. Once a league has been going and I'm making alts I usually pick up nothing, right now my latest ranger is level 36 or something and I have yet to pick up an item on her except for some amulets.

Deleted
    went vortex degen witch build and its meh so far.. really want a coc ranger but i might aswell stick with vortex and get a bit of currency before switching.. really like the this season just not loving the build i picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    You'll find that especially at low level pretty much everything is garbage. Affixes have a minimum level requirement, kind of like how higher level items in d3 are inherently better, which means items below level 60 or so just simply cannot be any good. I usually pick up slots that could be upgrades for me, like if I know I have especially awful gloves I'll pick up gloves but leave the rest. Once a league has been going and I'm making alts I usually pick up nothing, right now my latest ranger is level 36 or something and I have yet to pick up an item on her except for some amulets.
    Yeah i imagined something on the line. My question was more about starting from scratch and check if i need to hoard stuff now for later or not.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    strange. should just be to place the .filter file in ~document/my games/path of exile, start the game, go to UI options and scroll to the bottom to find "list of item filters" then change to whatever lootfilter you want.
    Hm, I don't recall that being in there, about enabling it in the UI settings. I've just found them and enabled them, thanks for the tip. It seems to work now.

Yeah i imagined something on the line. My question was more about starting from scratch and check if i need to hoard stuff now for later or not.
    If you're worried about trading, I wouldn't worry about it until high level. Otherwise picking up stuff is pointless if you don't need an upgrade for that slot. This does end up with you picking up most items on the first character of a league, but if you get lucky and land a triple resist and life chest piece in cruel you can probably just stop picking up chests until like act 4 merciless, for example, because the chance of getting better is pretty damn low and it'll just slow you down. I would say usually if I can get a rare that is high life + 1 resist I will stop picking up items for that slot until I'm farming a4m.

The inventory isn't that small, but it is pretty small at the same time. It's around the same size of diablo 2, I believe, the game PoE was inspired by. If you pick up small 2x2 items you can usually last a while, just avoid 2h weapons and chests if you can.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2016-06-12 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    If you're worried about trading, I wouldn't worry about it until high level. Otherwise picking up stuff is pointless if you don't need an upgrade for that slot. This does end up with you picking up most items on the first character of a league, but if you get lucky and land a triple resist and life chest piece in cruel you can probably just stop picking up chests until like act 4 merciless, for example, because the chance of getting better is pretty damn low and it'll just slow you down. I would say usually if I can get a rare that is high life + 1 resist I will stop picking up items for that slot until I'm farming a4m.

The inventory isn't that small, but it is pretty small at the same time. It's around the same size of diablo 2, I believe, the game PoE was inspired by. If you pick up small 2x2 items you can usually last a while, just avoid 2h weapons and chests if you can.
    Yeah, now i've gotten the grasp and everything looks fine so far - running reave/contagion/assassin mark and i mow stuff down pretty consistently, though i have zero idea about if my dps is high enough. stuff dies so i assume it's good for now.

Really, what i need to learn now is how to evaluate items and how to avoid bad stuff from the good ones. NeverSink filter helps a lot, but still i need some more training.

Yeah I've played the last 3 or 4 seasons with characters 80+ and I still have no idea what makes good gear apart from life and resistances. I've seen posts on reddit with like 'best ring I've ever gotten' and people replying that it's worth multiple exalts and I would have just vendor'd it.

Although this season I've just been doing the un-id chaos recipe from the beginning so it's not something I really worry about anymore.

Learning how to value items is about knowing the mod tiers and what types of builds want X, Y or Z combination of mods. Effective item evaluation relies on metal knowledge of Path of Exile at any current state. It's like Magic The Gathering in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Learning how to value items is about knowing the mod tiers and what types of builds want X, Y or Z combination of mods. Effective item evaluation relies on metal knowledge of Path of Exile at any current state. It's like Magic The Gathering in that regard.
    for the moment i'll go step-by-step and check what's useful for my build. I'm not much into trading and will very likely play self-found only; so i'm trying to figure out what is really an upgrade or not. focusing on evasion/shield defensive wise (dabbling with a couple of hp nodes as needed) and focusing on physical/chaos damage.

Then i'm looking at skill synergy, though i've yet to find decent support gems to do what i've planned (namely one cast on crit and possibly one cast on death). Question: the previously mentioned gems make me unable to cast the spell sinc eit triggers from event - do i pay the mana cost each time it's triggered or not?

for the moment i'll go step-by-step and check what's useful for my build. I'm not much into trading and will very likely play self-found only; so i'm trying to figure out what is really an upgrade or not. focusing on evasion/shield defensive wise (dabbling with a couple of hp nodes as needed) and focusing on physical/chaos damage.

Then i'm looking at skill synergy, though i've yet to find decent support gems to do what i've planned (namely one cast on crit and possibly one cast on death). Question: the previously mentioned gems make me unable to cast the spell sinc eit triggers from event - do i pay the mana cost each time it's triggered or not?
    Knowing the mod tiers can still be quite helpful as a self found player if that is the direction one wishes to go. That way you don't pass up a nice crafting base or craft-able item- crafting is key to long term self found play.

The Path of Exile wiki and forums are highly active and robustly updated. Those are excellent places to start; wiki for rules on items and skills, forums for what is trending and miscellaneous tools.

You do not pay the mana cost of On Trigger effects. Actually, I am not sure if the mana cost is paid for all On Trigger effects. I recall some do have MCM and some have an MCM + MC on effect. It may vary.

Although some builds have used cast on death to suicide rush bosses and lower difficulties with amazing results. Cast on Death on pertains to your death. Just in case one is planning to integrate the gem among minions. Death is more punishing than ever in the game- even in softcore. Little FYI.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-06-13 at 01:41 PM.

Knowing the mod tiers can still be quite helpful as a self found player if that is the direction one wishes to go. That way you don't pass up a nice crafting base or craft-able item- crafting is key to long term self found play.

The Path of Exile wiki and forums are highly active and robustly updated. Those are excellent places to start; wiki for rules on items and skills, forums for what is trending and miscellaneous tools.

You do not pay the mana cost of On Trigger effects. Actually, I am not sure if the mana cost is paid for all On Trigger effects. I recall some do have MCM and some have an MCM + MC on effect. It may vary.

Although some builds have used cast on death to suicide rush bosses and lower difficulties with amazing results. Cast on Death on pertains to your death. Just in case one is planning to integrate the gem among minions. Death is more punishing than ever in the game- even in softcore. Little FYI.
    Ok, i'm doing another pass over the wiki - forums are real good too, but as i said before i'm like 3 years late to the party and at this point most experienced players tend to pass over notions that are baseline in game but not for people like me, making my time harder. Wiki on the other side is a wiki and there's a lot of notions about basic mechanics which are really helpful for me now.

Thanks for the On death trigger - i don't think i'ìll be using that then

Deleted
    Meh, leveling new EQ slayer. Maybe I won't stand in Merc Piety beam this time.

BTW does anyone else get this shit every time they log in for the first time?

Annoying as fuck, lasts like 20seconds and then gets better
    Last edited by mmoce213c955fb; 2016-06-13 at 01:59 PM.

Ok, i'm doing another pass over the wiki - forums are real good too, but as i said before i'm like 3 years late to the party and at this point most experienced players tend to pass over notions that are baseline in game but not for people like me, making my time harder. Wiki on the other side is a wiki and there's a lot of notions about basic mechanics which are really helpful for me now.

Thanks for the On death trigger - i don't think i'ìll be using that then
    Yea, wiki is super helpful. There are also specific mechanics threads on the forums individually for each gem in the game. That pour over all the mechanisms at work and their interactions. The devs reply within to clarify several questions throughout too- and this is all search-able within the threads themselves. I find it super helpful for more complex interactions.

Yea, wiki is super helpful. There are also specific mechanics threads on the forums individually for each gem in the game. That pour over all the mechanisms at work and their interactions. The devs reply within to clarify several questions throughout too- and this is all search-able within the threads themselves. I find it super helpful for more complex interactions.
    Yup. Also found that there actually is a "cast on melee kill" support gem, that does exactly what i want. Now i need to check for the related skills and see if i can create a good synergy. I'm undecided between the Assassin ascendancy because of 100% crit on full hp mobs (thus having a guaranteed proc at start) or going trickster to set the main attack on a movement skill which will be free (and thus supportable with a lot of gems).

Part of the big issue for knowing what items are good is due to crafting. A lot of items are meh on their own, but have an open slot for master crafting that can make them fantastic. For example, I found a royal skean with high tier attack speed and spell damage on it. At a glance it doesn't seem that particularly useful of a weapon, but craft local crit on it and it becomes a great dagger for cast on crit. It would definitely have sold for a decent amount, though I'm using it myself now.

If you want to use cast on melee kill I would look into the writhing jar unique flask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Usually happens on shit computers, you can try launching it with --waitforpreload command parameter, your loading screens will be longer but there should be no more issues after it ends. Or --nopreload or will totally disable the new feature, can work better for some.
    Meh, guess my computer is shit then (770 4670k)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Meh, guess my computer is shit then (770 4670k)
    Well, i have a years old i5-750 (oc to 3.2ghz) and a 960, but i don't have that kind of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    There's a lot of things outside of CPU/GPU that can make this more likely to happen, like your available RAM, HD usage, other things running in background, where PoE is installed (SSD?), etc.
    i know, but still i don't have an exactly new pc and i have no issues. it may be some kind of software issue (as it turns out to be most of the times).

Finally got around to trying the game again (Last time time I played was still in beta and only got as far as act 2) and it's pretty fun. Though I guess I've been spoiled by smart loot since most of the drops seem to be garbage so I'm hoping that changes at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Finally got around to trying the game again (Last time time I played was still in beta and only got as far as act 2) and it's pretty fun. Though I guess I've been spoiled by smart loot since most of the drops seem to be garbage so I'm hoping that changes at some point.
    PoE is balanced around trading, which means if thousands of people play and interact with each other items have to be thousands of times rarer, much like d3 classic before RoS made it a single player game. In addition, item affixes are limited by item level, so finding "good" items really isn't possible in the first place until level like 60+. It's not much different to how class sets can't drop before 60 in d3, but somehow this seems to confuse a lot of new players when they learn that every item they find at low level is guaranteed to be garbage.

If you are looking for endless fantastic unique items and godly rares, though, you're bound to be disappointed at any level. PoE is a game created with the intention that you will be trading with people for the items you want.