As a DRG I loathe large pulls because whilst I can AoE it's less effective overall compared to just going through my regular rotation. It's a bit better if I have a BRD/MCH or NIN giving me some sort of TP refresh but even then it feels clunky. Mass pulls also typically reduce my rotation from being interesting to spamming 1-2 buttons over and over which is dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Neither do I, but most random tanks seem to have the "you are only a good tank if you pull everything" mindset.

Unless there is serious AoE capability in your group, I found the difference in kill speed to be negligible. Esp when the healer is geared and mainly DPSes undisturbed on small pulls.
    I generally pull 2 packs, or up to ~6-7 mobs at most depending on the pull. The new dungeons make that really tough because of the distance between the packs and especially in Hullbreaker Hard, those gorillas hit like...a big gorilla should. As you said though, killing two packs slowly or 1 pack quickly ends up with a negligible time difference in overall dungeon time. I've never had anyone complain about pulling too few, other than the rare moment when the healer says "pull more, I'm bored."

Raid Finder doesn't seem to be that popular sadly. Was hoping to try and push myself into savage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Raid Finder doesn't seem to be that popular sadly. Was hoping to try and push myself into savage.
    Haven't even tried it myself, yet... ...Well.. that's partly because I don't have high gear enough to enter, but mostly lack of interest in doing Savage. We're trying to form FC raid-team.. and darn leader keeps trying to persuade me to fill last spot (melee DPS).

I've been tanking for roulettes most of this patch, and with the new dungeons, I'm only grabbing 3-4 mobs at a time because my ilvl is a whopping 212 currently. I run with a DRG friend most of the time, and seems like we get matched with another mostly-single target dps every time, so I don't see a need to mass pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    To be fair, a lot of people probably don't know that it even exists.

Had a pretty amusing low-level dungeon where the palaldin tank kept pulling huge numbers of mobs. The two DPS were a rogue and a lancer so the group had a grand total of zero aoe damage abilities, but he still grabbed two-three packs minimum. It kept the healing slightly active but we'd have killed things faster if I could've been hitting things in stead.

only time you should not mass pull is if people are undergeared or you have 2 melee.

i get so sad when i'm on my 220 smn and people won't pull more than 3 mobs when we're all perfectly capable of blowing them up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    only time you should not mass pull is if people are undergeared or you have 2 melee.

i get so sad when i'm on my 220 smn and people won't pull more than 3 mobs when we're all perfectly capable of blowing them up.
    Idk i think mnk & nin would be prett decent aoe, esp now with nin's buff to aoe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say this (since me and my friend got some lucky 1.0 music drop)
    1.0 music > 2.0+
    >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Idk i think mnk & nin would be prett decent aoe, esp now with nin's buff to aoe.
    Monk has AoE? Oo

All I know is that BLM/SMN have good AoE. If you have 2 of those, go nuts.
    Bard AE seems to be on the Meh side, just like everything else with this class.
    Unsure about MCH/NIN.
    DRG AoE sucks. If you got two of them, don't bother pulling large packs.

Deleted
    Monk has AoE? Oo

Unsure about MCH/NIN.
    as a mch aoe is pretty good, your turret + your own can deal a fair amount of damages, if you hypercharge the turret it deal even more and put a magic debuff on every mob, if you are in a team with a smn or blm and a whm, the pack just melt very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I will say this (since me and my friend got some lucky 1.0 music drop)
    1.0 music > 2.0+
    >.>
    apart from a few like twilight over thanalan most of the musics from v1 was out of space and to clean, also this cringy battle themes forced me to mute the music, i remembered puting the ffXII ost wich was far better for a sense of adventure .
    Last edited by mmocb2686cfc21; 2016-06-14 at 10:29 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Monk has AoE? Oo

Unsure about MCH/NIN.
    Yes lol. It takes a bit to build up but monk has Rockbreaker and Elixir Field. They've got Arm of the destroyer but no one talks about that. Monk is pretty good AoE. Makes me real sad when I see a monk in my group just doing their single target rotation on a big pull...

Yes lol. It takes a bit to build up but monk has Rockbreaker and Elixir Field. They've got Arm of the destroyer but no one talks about that. Monk is pretty good AoE. Makes me real sad when I see a monk in my group just doing their single target rotation on a big pull...
    I've seen a few arguments from people that MNK has the best sustained AoE output of any melee class due to TP usage for their AoE abilities....problem with AoE situations in this game though, it's not supposed to be "sustained" you're just supposed to blow it up quickly so the MNK AoE output never gets a chance to shine.

BLM + SMN in group though...watch stuff melt, it's awesome. Best Group make-up, IMO for AoE = WAR (Steel Cycleone), WHM (Aero 3 and Holy), BLM (Freeze, Fire 2, Flare), SMN (Bane, Miasma 2, Painflare, Deathflare)....just amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I've seen a few arguments from people that MNK has the best sustained AoE output of any melee class due to TP usage for their AoE abilities....problem with AoE situations in this game though, it's not supposed to be "sustained" you're just supposed to blow it up quickly so the MNK AoE output never gets a chance to shine.

BLM + SMN in group though...watch stuff melt, it's awesome. Best Group make-up, IMO for AoE = WAR (Steel Cycleone), WHM (Aero 3 and Holy), BLM (Freeze, Fire 2, Flare), SMN (Bane, Miasma 2, Painflare, Deathflare)....just amazing.
    yeah, blm+smn are going to blow every other dps out of the water when it comes to aoe. I think the big problem with MNK aoe is that they have to go thru combos to get to it, whereas every other dps doesn't. We can spam that 1-2 buttons to our hearts content, smn sorta being the exception.

Finally had a SMN in a group with me while I was tanking (which I've been doing a lot of since patch arrived, for roulettes at least). Was fun watching all the things die at almost the same time.

Strange but effective dps combo: My friend (DRG) and I (BLM). He is able to focus down priority targets while I aoe the crap out of all the things. Hilarity further ensues for bosses, with both of us going ham on a single target. Not to mention delicious Battle Litany; friend pops it on pull right as I start to wind up my opener, then he sits there gawking "wtf" from the 5 digit crits being posted.

SMN pugs I've had with me while as BLM would make trash clearing nothing short of comical, but boss fights seemed to drag on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Finally had a SMN in a group with me while I was tanking (which I've been doing a lot of since patch arrived, for roulettes at least). Was fun watching all the things die at almost the same time.

Strange but effective dps combo: My friend (DRG) and I (BLM). He is able to focus down priority targets while I aoe the crap out of all the things. Hilarity further ensues for bosses, with both of us going ham on a single target. Not to mention delicious Battle Litany; friend pops it on pull right as I start to wind up my opener, then he sits there gawking "wtf" from the 5 digit crits being posted.

SMN pugs I've had with me while as BLM would make trash clearing nothing short of comical, but boss fights seemed to drag on forever.
    Yeah, Depends on how well geared the SMN is. Our single target damage is good, and gets better if you gear/ meld appropriately. I prefer Determination, since it's a straight DPS increase with no RNG involved, but with adequate amounts of Crit numbers start getting ridiculous.

That said, with a DRG and MNK in group things die very quickly as well, just one at a time rather than all at once, which can actually sometimes make it go faster because the healer can join in on DPS once the incoming damage drops enough for HoTs or Shields to mostly cover the damage to the tank. Personally I prefer this because it just FEELS like it's going faster with individual mobs dying quickly rather than all of them at once. At least in the newer dungeons. In the older ones things die too fast regardless of how they're killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    $20 promo is up on Amazon for the MAID OUTFIT. It needs to be in the video game section and if you scroll down on product page it'll show promotion offer. It needs to be ship and sold from Amazon essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesss
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post40883621

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    As a DRG I loathe large pulls because whilst I can AoE it's less effective overall compared to just going through my regular rotation. It's a bit better if I have a BRD/MCH or NIN giving me some sort of TP refresh but even then it feels clunky. Mass pulls also typically reduce my rotation from being interesting to spamming 1-2 buttons over and over which is dull.
    Have you actually parsed this before making this comment? I have and I can say with absolute certainly that you are mistaken. Even if you doomspike until dry and then just spend as it regenerates your effective damage will be significantly higher than if you had just done your single target rotation rotating through the adds. This is assuming there are more than 2-3 adds.

The only time I would refrain from AOE is if there is a low amount of adds i.e. 2-3, or if you're other DPS is enormously undergeared. I.e. Your 220 and he's 180.

Your other statement about it being dull is certainly accurate though.

Monk has AoE? Oo

Unsure about MCH/NIN.
    They do, arguably some of the best AOE too.

Yep.

I know I always hated that I wasn't a part of that comp

Yeah, Depends on how well geared the SMN is. Our single target damage is good, and gets better if you gear/ meld appropriately. I prefer Determination, since it's a straight DPS increase with no RNG involved, but with adequate amounts of Crit numbers start getting ridiculous.

That said, with a DRG and MNK in group things die very quickly as well, just one at a time rather than all at once, which can actually sometimes make it go faster because the healer can join in on DPS once the incoming damage drops enough for HoTs or Shields to mostly cover the damage to the tank. Personally I prefer this because it just FEELS like it's going faster with individual mobs dying quickly rather than all of them at once. At least in the newer dungeons. In the older ones things die too fast regardless of how they're killed.
    Ideally, a MNK and DRG with a decent tank/healer should still be able to AOE and erase the adds before healing is even a remote issue.

Parses are 'illegal', so no. It may not be true but it certainly feels that way - but then I've never been a fan of mindlessly mashing the same button over and over. If I had my way regular dungeon enemies would be more engaging and require the same sort of positioning and stun/silence use as some of the game's bosses.