Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Except it does cause it's nowhere near breaking even. You won't be getting a sequel so enjoy it.
    You haven't been reading much , do you?.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    After all, it's only the Wow fans who seem to like it, and who a movie like Warcraft is made for anyway.
    That's not true. I went to the theater with 5 non-nerdy friends with no idea of what Warcraft was about. One disliked it, two liked it and two loved it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except it does cause it's nowhere near breaking even. You won't be getting a sequel so enjoy it.
    The movie had a budget of 160 million USD. It has surpassed that in China alone. As of only June 11th, the movie has made just shy of $300 million. You're clearly wrong here.

Sources: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/...ref_=tt_dt_bus

Quote Originally Posted by Rarespawn2012 View Post
    The movie had a budget of 160 million USD. It has surpassed that in China alone. As of only June 11th, the movie has made just shy of $300 million. You're clearly wrong here.
    Ah yes, another special person who thinks marketing costs nothing and 100% of the box office goes to the studio.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

The movie from the standpoint of a film in and of itself it is shit. A terribly boring movie imo and I know the lore.

But Blizzard would have made SO much more money off of it in the box office if Warlords had been a good xpac. Its bad to make a movie out of a game in the first place... but to make a movie out of a game who's live version is in a pathetic state is financial suicide. The Division movie will experience a similar fate with that game being such a shit show atm.

It's like none of you read the main page of this site. It needs 500 million to break even. Everyone thought china would save it after those first numbers but they plummeted like crazy. It's a flop. There are many empty movie theaters. They will be lucky to break even with dvd sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Ah yes, another special person who thinks marketing costs nothing and 100% of the box office goes to the studio.
    Please provide proof that this one movie that had little to no actual marketing done for it, somehow spent more than it's entire movie budget in marketing expenses. Something that does not happen ever, but by all means, provide actual proof instead of being a blow hard.

Please provide proof that this one movie that had little to no actual marketing done for it, somehow spent more than it's entire movie budget in marketing expenses. Something that does not happen ever, but by all means, provide actual proof instead of being a blow hard.
    "Universal is reporting $24.4M for Duncan Jones’ Warcraft in second place. This is where the studio figured the bigscreen brawl between humans and orcs would file B.O. wise. The bigger play for this $160M production +$110M P&A vehicle is overseas. Global B.O. currently stands at $286.1M with 55% coming from China. Industry sources tell Deadline that breakeven is at $500M worldwide. CinemaScore sees the final domestic endgame for this videogame adaptation between $57M-$81M."

I'll take industry sources over guy on mmochamp with 275 posts.

It's like none of you read the main page of this site. It needs 500 million to break even. Everyone thought china would save it after those first numbers but they plummeted like crazy. It's a flop. There are many empty movie theaters. They will be lucky to break even with dvd sales.
    That's not the point. I know the 500M$ mark. And the 2.5/3 x budget to break even. But there are more things to take into account and precedents such as "Batman Begins" or "Ironman" that could lead to think another way.
    Quote from Istenno : The movie has earned over $350m overall so far. And it's theatrical run isn't completed yet. The final box office number will be past 400M$.Not withstanding all the after sales to come. It will be successful enough to warrant a sequel. Even if it hasn't been a megahit yet, it establishes a story and a following formula, the sequel will always be more successful.

- - - Updated - - -

"Universal is reporting $24.4M for Duncan Jones’ Warcraft in second place. This is where the studio figured the bigscreen brawl between humans and orcs would file B.O. wise. The bigger play for this $160M production +$110M P&A vehicle is overseas. Global B.O. currently stands at $286.1M with 55% coming from China. Industry sources tell Deadline that breakeven is at $500M worldwide. CinemaScore sees the final domestic endgame for this videogame adaptation between $57M-$81M."

I'll take industry sources over guy on mmochamp with 275 posts.

Those numbers are from 12th June.The actual box office number is over 350M$.

If it's barely going to make a profit it's not worth making a sequel. And the date on those numbers is irrelevant he asked where the 500m number came from so I gave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    If we're changing the definition of 'fan service' to not include the Easter eggs, we might as well just call the entire movie fan service. After all, it's only the Wow fans who seem to like it, and who a movie like Warcraft is made for anyway.
    Only the fans seem to like it? Looks like everyone I know who's watched is secretly a Warcraft fan and they never told me. Such jerks.

If it's barely going to make a profit it's not worth making a sequel. And the date on those numbers is irrelevant he asked where the 500m number came from so I gave it.

Yes, I agree. They won't break even merely on box office numbers. But again movies like "Batman Begins" or "Man of Steel" didn't broke even either and still they got their sequel. "Ironman" did break even, but not for a huge margin, and nowadays almost every MCU movie earns $1B.
    I don't want to argue, really, cause in the end nor I nor you will see a dollar from the profits they make (and they will make profits, for sure, they won't lose money with this movie, despite not being a megahit, it isn't a flop either).
    What I'm trying to say is that franchises only grow after the first movie , making very possible a sequel.

so basically WoW movie is like the metric system

I read movies in China only return 25% instead of 50%. If that's so I think it really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    How can you call it a flop ), RT is just sad, and ... watch it yourself before judging it.
    IMDB - 7.6 and they are doing great on the revenue

They will make a sequel even if the critics cry like a baby
    Last edited by edw; 2016-06-19 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil84 View Post
    I read movies in China only return 25% instead of 50%. If that's so I think it really sucks.
    That's for foreign studios, which is not this case. Legendary Entertainment is responsible for distributing the movie in China. This company is owned by Dalian Wanda Group, a chinese conglomerate. So the box office revenue limit of 25% does not apply for this movie.

creation budged doesnt include marketing costs - they stated that they need to break 500 mln to break even

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    RT is just sad, and ... watch it yourself before judging it.
    \
    i did watch it and for me it was nothing special - ofc it was cool because well wow movie but lets be honest it was pretty mediocre fantasy movie - for me even civil war was more interesting movie this year and it was nowhere even close to deadpool (and granted that i found new star wars mediocre at best too so it might be just me but it is my opinion )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    It will be successful enough to warrant a sequel. Even if it hasn't been a megahit yet, it establishes a story and a following formula, the sequel will always be more successful.

cool but after how mediocre first movie was will people even bother to watch sequel. and pls dont compare it to iron man and batman begins both of those movie were milion times better then warcraft movie.

I actually enjoyed the movie as a fan of the universe but totally understand where the critics are coming from and why it's being shit on as a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    creation budged doesnt include marketing costs - they stated that they need to break 500 mln to break even

- - - Updated - - -

i did watch it and for me it was nothing special - ofc it was cool because well wow movie but lets be honest it was pretty mediocre fantasy movie - for me even civil war was more interesting movie this year and it was nowhere even close to deadpool (and granted that i found new star wars mediocre at best too so it might be just me but it is my opinion )
    Indeed, Warcraft is not a masterpiece as LotR. And yes, Deadpool is a better movie than Warcraft. But not Civil War (it's my opinion, don't kill me for it). It was very very long and very very boring. I really think Warcraft is a better movie than CV. And of course those four movies mentioned are way better than the acclaimed Disney's Shit Awakens, a really bad copy-paste of Lucas' Starwars : A New Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    That's for foreign studios, which is not this case. Legendary Entertainment is responsible for distributing the movie in China. This company is owned by Dalian Wanda Group, a chinese conglomerate. So the box office revenue limit of 25% does not apply for this movie.
    I'd like to see some proof on this.

Also, the movie had an 80% drop in ticket sales for its second week in China, which was mirrored in pretty much every market it opened in. (The movie's domestic cume is scary bad.) Movies which lose their audience appeal and have little to no box office staying power rarely get sequels. Not saying its impossible, but there's a whole lot of fans wildly misinterpreting data to make it seem like a sequel is all but guaranteed when the reality of the situation is a bit less set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    cool but after how mediocre first movie was will people even bother to watch sequel. and pls dont compare it to iron man and batman begins both of those movie were milion times better then warcraft movie.
    You're right, those two were better movies than Warcraft (Indeed , for me Nolan's trilogy is the best ever made for a superhero). But not millions of times, don't overdo it. But yes, from the general feedback I've got people leaving the theaters are in the majority willing to see a sequel. Remember MCU also had Thor, Thor 2 : The Dark World , Captain America : The First Avenger. All three of them are worst movies than Warcraft.By a large margin.And hey, despite of that bad movies Marvel is still there, standing on top of the industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post

Also, the movie had an 80% drop in ticket sales for its second week in China, which was mirrored in pretty much every market it opened in. (The movie's domestic cume is scary bad.) Movies which lose their audience appeal and have little to no box office staying power rarely get sequels. Not saying its impossible, but there's a whole lot of fans wildly misinterpreting data to make it seem like a sequel is all but guaranteed when the reality of the situation is a bit less set in stone.
    You're right it's a bit drop and with no doubt it is because of the fan effect fading. It is clear the movie is mainly supported by fans of the franchise.But the net numbers are there, and I don't know if the studios really matters if they come from fans or not.The money values the same. And in any case , you can't make new fans if you don't widen your potencial customers, which is what they are doing with the movie. I know quite some people that would not play a video-game in his life,but after watching it are willing to watch (not play the game, it's too much for them xD) more of that universe.So new fans, new opportunities.
    That 80% is for Friday, not for the entire weekend. It may end being that big drop but the est. for the entire weekend is 65-70% ( Source : China Box Office Twitter account, can't paste the link sorry, I'm too noob).
    And no, I'm not saying the sequel is guaranteed.And I won't lie to you I would love a WCU. The only thing we can do is speculate and wait after the DVD release and see if those numbers convince the studios or not.