Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hmmm.

When i was younger and we played HL, CS 1.5, 1.6 and Q3, there wasn't such an issue.
    But then again, those games had different ideas around them. You where there to kill, not to do dick around and do missions.
    Even local tournaments i played in where clean, no trash talking.

Tho there is a catch, everything was in a LAN. Or local servers, where people knew each other.
    If someone was shit talking, he was simply smacked.
    Buying few beers to server admin for a free pass, spreading some funky scripts among your friends.

I guess your only option is just to ignore those people or simply leave and join another game.

But its kinda funny, paying such money for shitty experience, where you are being put into mercy of other players sanity and morale. God, people pay money for such shit and worst part - you have no other option to play this game
    That's like paying to a gang to beat you up
    At least in wow you can quit the LFD and LFR if group consists of pricks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Well you're a hero for going in alone, I guess? Maybe if you hadn't, you'd have got that Team Kill.
    I was the team kill guy. The rest of the team couldn't kill the lone defender. If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd have realized that.

God damn.

Deleted
    I swing back and forth between "it's okay" and "brb uninstalling...". Competetive is a huge pain. Either you get lucky and land in a group with capable people who communicate, pay attention to the composition and know how to play, or you are stuck with idiots and get to see your rating tank. The most annoying thing is when I say something like "We need X to counter their Y! He's attacking us completely undisturbed!" I often get only a "omg stfu, don't tell people what to play" from the resident Genji on defense.

The other problem is the huge difference in skill-sets. I've seen people <lvl100 wiping the floor with the enemy team and people with >lvl200 failing to understand the most basic concepts of the game's flow (such as falling back to B right away once A is lost, so the defenders at B don't get overrun 3vs6+ults). This particularly infuriating since I usually play tanks or support and have to depend on the team to do its job.
    Special mention goes to the Winston from Gibraltar defense who jumped behind the enemy team and then yelled at me (Mercy) for not flying after him into the meatgrinder.

I think part of the problem is the wide appeal of the game. You have many people who don't know the first thing about team-based shooters, queueing up for ranked and getting placed in the 50's because the placement-system is completely bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    People are rude on the internet. More at 11, Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post
    Not necessarily
    get gewd scrub

10+ Year Old Account
    I really haven't noticed much toxicity in the community.

You might get the occasional guy saying "omg trash team" at the end of the match, but that's really not what I'd consider "toxic." I haven't noticed much prolonged berating or anything of the sort.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I was the team kill guy. The rest of the team couldn't kill the lone defender. If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd have realized that.

God damn.
    I realise that you'd have got the 5/6 still if your team were closer in tow, and probably 6/6 instead. That 6th guy might not have got you if their attention was split, giving you the upper hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I really haven't noticed much toxicity in the community.

You might get the occasional guy saying "omg trash team" at the end of the match, but that's really not what I'd consider "toxic." I haven't noticed much prolonged berating or anything of the sort.
    I honestly hadn't noticed much until last night, 5 games past my placement matches, as ranted about above. After about 9:30pm though things improved dramatically, aside from my team ignoring Pharah until I went off on one (not a lot I could do about her as Reinhardt myself), they took the advice though and we won that round comfortably only to lose the match in sudden death because I don't even know why. Guess the take home advice is to play on school nights, and leave it later on weekends.

QM on the other hand has been generally somewhere between quiet and pleasant, very few people being actually 100% a dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was playing Zenyatta and a half health Reaper WHO I HAD ORB OF HARMONY ON stole my healing canister when I was 10 health. I'll admit, shortly after I was emoting at him as he spammed "I need healing". Don't mess with your supports. This only happened once though lol.

On topic, I usually almost always play Support in quick play or in a group with friends so I have noticed no toxicity whatsoever. Besides, of course, the toxicity that the OP is ironically bringing to the table with his post.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Deleted
    To be frank, some of the game itself brings out the toxicity. When the team is punished for one player being bad or not being tight knit, it's natural to become angry because your own efforts are floundered by others.

Hero balance is broken. Competitive mode is shit. Bugs aren't fixed for weeks. Performance went way down after patches.

Can't blame the community for being toxic.

10+ Year Old Account
    every playerbase is basicly toxic
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Hero balance is broken.
    Which in particular would you say need adjustment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Best one ever today.

"DVa and Reaper swap to proper champions."

From a Hanzo.

After I'd just pulled off a quadruple kill with my self destruct that took us the first objective that we otherwise were really struggling with, and on for 3 gold medals with it.

I told him to play a proper sniper. That went down well.

We lost, but we weren't the better team to be fair, they pretty much rolled us in their attack round, because a couple of them were idiot flanking and playing too aggressively ahead of the point, while ironically playing way too defensively in our attack to even get near the second point. If it wasn't for that quad kill, we'd have never taken the first.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-07-09 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    I had a match where we lost close at the end. Our opponents spammed the chat with things like "rekt", "pwnd" etc.

I replied with one single "nice cheese" and suddenly opened a shitstorm can. I rarely got flamed like this ever in a game before.

"Kiddo, fck ur mom"
    "Please die"
    "Eat ur shit"
    "Delete the game"
    "Go fck our sis"

I was stunned how someone call me a kid when acting like a 12 year old hyperactive ritalin doped stepchild from the wrong neighbourhood.
    you described your behaviour pretty well there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    every playerbase, on games that have any kind of competition, is basicly toxic
    There. Fixed that for ya.

On games where competition is not much of a factor you have lots of good people to play with. I point to GW2 as an example. Don't think I've seen a toxic player on there yet. Then again I've not played their WvW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post
    I am in shock atm.

I played in the beta for half of its duration, and had a blast.
    "Everyone" communicated and worked together.

But it seems after they opened the floodgates, the community turned insanely toxic.
    I just took a look on official forums for shits and giggles, and just wow.

Is the toxicity of LoL transfering over to OW, since it became the most popular current game?
    I have no problem 95% of the time. Out of 12 games today 1 had a toxic player. He called our team shit, I told him to just fuck off cos he is a fuckhead. He called me bad. I got 3 gold and a silver as direct damage, I told him to fuck off again and that I got 3 gold and a silver and he didn't reply back. Bads will be bad. I don't mind if the team composition/synergy is shit but I will always call people out acting like they are top shit and the rest are bad, especially if they themselves are bad.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Most of these games have bad communities or rather super toxic people in it. It's nearly unpreventable. >.>
    Add a report player "Toxic" option, if player is reported X amount of times by Y different people, then Z happens to player. I don't really think that it is as "unpreventable" as you think it is. If people start getting banned for being toxic, they will either stop being toxic, or get banned. Either way, it helps the community as a whole, and sends a message to future toxic players that their BS won't be tolerated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Add a report player "Toxic" option, if player is reported X amount of times by Y different people, then Z happens to player. I don't really think that it is as "unpreventable" as you think it is. If people start getting banned for being toxic, they will either stop being toxic, or get banned. Either way, it helps the community as a whole, and sends a message to future toxic players that their BS won't be tolerated.
    I don't think people should be banned because they fit your definition of being toxic. You can ignore players as it is also you can mute anyone on voice and chat. I do think they should bring back the 'no longer play with this person again' feature but that was probably detrimental on queue times at least in some cases.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    I don't think people should be banned because they fit your definition of being toxic. You can ignore players as it is also you can mute anyone on voice and chat. I do think they should bring back the 'no longer play with this person again' feature but that was probably detrimental on queue times at least in some cases.
    Even if it's a few days, it makes them aware that their shit is being logged and that it's not tolerated. Hell, throw a penalty on their rated play as well. It depends on the level, but the stuff I saw last night, where every other word was racist, homophobic or sexist; then that guy just needs shooting into the sun, no one is going to miss that or demand their few seconds queue time back because they could have played with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Best one ever today.

"DVa and Reaper swap to proper champions."

From a Hanzo.

After I'd just pulled off a quadruple kill with my self destruct that took us the first objective that we otherwise were really struggling with, and on for 3 gold medals with it.

I told him to play a proper sniper. That went down well.

We lost, but we weren't the better team to be fair, they pretty much rolled us in their attack round, because a couple of them were idiot flanking and playing too aggressively ahead of the point, while ironically playing way too defensively in our attack to even get near the second point. If it wasn't for that quad kill, we'd have never taken the first.
    There is no consistency to what you are going to run into when you just queue pug or partial even. One match I rolled as reaper and my team was even commenting on it. Next, same map I picked reaper and you get a know it all telling me reaper is horrible. Now I've only played him an hour in competitive but I'm like 4KD ratio and 6-2 win loss etc so I know I'm doing my part lol. Play respectfully but it's your game so keep it fun too.

To OP.. kind of a pointless post. Topic "The community is cancer" really ? the ENTIRE community, or can you not see past the fact that since day 1 of gaming being a thing, that certain people are going to be ass hats.

also OMG USE YOUR MICS that's to everyone. see you in game!

Well there is one simple solution same in other games, keep reporting every single one of them. U can press "P" find his name in current game or if u alrdy left there is recent games tab aswell, right click on it, report and so on so on, just type "abusive chat" and move on.