Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    I know it has been around long, I don't understand why someone would want to participate or watch in people beating others almost to death, it shouldn't even be allowed
    Because humans have a martial streak built into our very genetics. One of the oldest Olympic sports was Pankration, which has a lot in common with modern MMA.

Pankration grown out of ancient Greek Hoplite military martial art. In peace time people continued to practice it, both as a form of military training and as a form of competition.

I don't enjoy martial arts, but I can appreciate the historical, cultural and sporting aspects of it. It should be regulated, practiced as safely as possible, but it absolutely shouldn't be forbidden.

Hell most sports I can think of have their roots in Warfare.

Football, Rugby and American Football all grew out of something like this. This was military training sport for Renaissance era Italian Mercenaries. This is what they did for fun and training whenever the city states weren't at war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Some people like to cause suffering to others.
    Better they do it in a ring than out in the street.
    This is a gross mischaracterization. The vast majority who train martial arts do so for love of the sport the same way people play soccer 9r baseball. Furthermore there is a large aspect of self discipline and personal growth associated w8th it. True not every professional feels this way, some just want to hit shit, but dont trash what you dont understand just because sometimes people get hurt. People get killed by javelins b7t we dont talk about how they love to watch humans get skewered.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    This is a gross mischaracterization. The vast majority who train martial arts do so for love of the sport the same way people play soccer 9r baseball. Furthermore there is a large aspect of self discipline and personal growth associated w8th it. True not every professional feels this way, some just want to hit shit, but dont trash what you dont understand just because sometimes people get hurt. People get killed by javelins b7t we dont talk about how they love to watch humans get skewered.
    Are they aiming the javelins on purpose at people?
    Oh shit wrong analogy my friend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Because humans have a martial streak built into our very genetics. One of the oldest Olympic sports was Pankration, which has a lot in common with modern MMA.

Pankration grown out of ancient Greek Hoplite military martial art. In peace time people continued to practice it, both as a form of military training and as a form of competition.

I don't enjoy martial arts, but I can appreciate the historical, cultural and sporting aspects of it. It should be regulated, practiced as safely as possible, but it absolutely shouldn't be forbidden.

Hell most sports I can think of have their roots in Warfare.

Football, Rugby and American Football all grew out of something like this.

Fairplay to you for linking that.
    That is called "Calcio fiorentino". It originated in 16th century probably from this:
    Harpastum, also known as harpustum, was a form of ball game played in the Roman Empire. The Romans also referred to it as the small ball game. The ball used was small (not as large as a follis, paganica, or football-sized ball) and hard, probably about the size and solidity of a softball. The word harpastum is the latinisation of the Greek ἁρπαστόν (harpaston),[1] the neuter of ἁρπαστός (harpastos), "carried away",[2] from the verb ἁρπάζω (harpazo), "to seize, to snatch".[3]
    This game was apparently a romanized version of a Greek game called phaininda (Greek: φαινίνδα[4]), or of another Greek game called ἐπίσκυρος (episkyros).[5][6][7][8][9][10] It involved considerable speed, agility and physical exertion.
    Little is known about the exact rules of the game, but sources indicate the game was a violent one with players often ending up on the ground. In Greece, a spectator (of the Greek form of the game) once had his leg broken when he got caught in the middle of play.
    There are no rules, and the games basically plays in a way where there are only few left standing so a guy can score.
    It's absolutely brutal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The MMA exists to give a place for all the people with more bloodlust and muscles than brains to beat the shit out of each other
    Otherwise they'd just be walking around punching street lamps and unattended children

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    The MMA exists to give a place for all the people with more bloodlust and muscles than brains to beat the shit out of each other
    Otherwise they'd just be walking around punching street lamps and unattended children
    The funny thing is if you go to any martial arts or boxing club you will most likely find the very best of citizens and many of them will be very well educated. The spectator side of it is something different and wholly voyeuristic.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd hate to be around Michael Page for Festivus during the airing of grievances.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-07-17 at 09:39 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    You'd be very surprised if you were to look at amateur MMA, martial arts and fighting sports, e.g. Judo, Sambo, Karate, TKD, etc. In some countries, martial arts or fighting sports are as or more popular than many mainstream sports, e.g. Judo in France or Sambo in Russia.

I know high level martial artists who are professors, post-doctorals, PhD students, finance traders, company directors, accountants from world class companies, and a huge amount of highly educated technology people that do martial arts (not sure why nerds love it so much).

At least two current major world leaders have high level martial art backgrounds, e.g. Putin and virtually any Japanese Prime Minister.

It is built into people's DNA. It is an ancestral fighting spirit and even encouraged via many ancient philosophies that still have a strong impact on education today. Or you can just view it as a way to let off steam, get fit, and as a nice side-effect, it teaches you self-defence.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-17 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    I'm a huge fan of mma. Stop making assumptions.
    I didn't say you weren't a fan. I said you know nothing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

When the guy slams him with his knee and the commentator says "beautiful!". Lol.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Some people like to cause suffering to others.
    Better they do it in a ring than out in the street.
    In the ring you make millions, in the street you make jail time.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Welp...that had to hurt. The guy's forehead is literally bashed in.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Are they aiming the javelins on purpose at people?
    Oh shit wrong analogy my friend.
    Not really. Was this mans intention to cave in his opponents skull? Not really "my friend". Fighting is about beating your opponent. Many fights end in submissions. Many fights that end due to strikes result in the winner realizing the fight is over and doing just what is necessary for the ref to step in and stop the fight. These people aren't so ignorant that they don't realize the next time around it could happen to them, and no one wants to have their earning ability ruined by a serious injury. You want to pretend like they are testosterone crazed animals without the slightest amount of rational thought. You are severely wrong. There is quite a lot of "do unto others as you want done to you" in MMA.

Wow, what a hit! Jeeze Louise, that guy got smashed totally.

The victor putting on Ash's hat and throwing the Pokeball is the greatest victory dance I ever seen. Gronk, you better step it up next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Yea, I'd imagine a MMA fighter over his/her career is less likely to end up with severe brain injuries compared to a traditional boxer.
    People make that argument, but there isn't really data on it, and won't be for years even if the studies started today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    People make that argument, but there isn't really data on it, and won't be for years even if the studies started today.
    There have been studies into this for years, at least since the mid '80s. Little is conclusive due to the scope of most of them. The more telling ones involve slapping fresh cadavers around Sherlock style. Due to the small number of affected people it isn't a research priority when compared with something like road traffic trauma injuries.

There are a couple of salient common sense factors. The two major ones are the length of professional matches and the nature by which knockouts are often obtained in boxing. For instance it is pretty much impossible to land a single "good un" under the jaw in the carotid triangle and have an opponents legs buckle in modern boxing. (let's forget the fact that the gloves themselves make the whole thing a little slower and more blockable/avoidable). The glove spreads the force across the jaw and neck ("compare this with the bareknuckle: "go for the jugular" where landing a halfways decent one would put someone on the ground). Consequently boxers aim higher on the head. Often you will see that knockouts in proff boxing are a series of blows causing torsional or axial head movement and immediate confusion causing the loser to walk onto a final haymaker or a wet dream of a cross. The set up for that becomes more likely due to the length of the match and the physical and mental fatigue involved. This often results in a final blow that wouldn't usually happen in a "natural" way. It is a very hard issue to police within the current form of boxing as the setup itself might be something that could be endured and walked off so a ref can't stop the fight and it often happens way too fast anyway.

Light gloved or non gloved contact sports by comparison, are often shorter and more "seemingly" brutal but you don't end usually up seeing people repeatedly walking into or enduring knocks they cannot mitigate unless they have been poorly matched. It is less of a show apart from there tending to be a lot more blood but I'd argue more in tune with what the human body has ways to deal with. Being thumped repeatedly in the melon in a way that isn't quite hard enough to do you some immediate damage isn't something we have had enough time or cause to evolve around. We've been dealing with massive slaps to the neck and head, having a bit of a sitdown, and getting up again since the first land walking creatures ran into tree branches Prolonged battery at a moderately severe pace by a big angry man is quite a new and isolated thing.

Even given the above I am not anti boxing. I have boxed at times as a "side hobby" from other contact sports. There are for sure though things that I think should change regarding the rules. None of those changes would be appealing to the media though.

Well, everyone has more muscles than brains if we're taking that literally. Otherwise we'd be, you know, unable to move. As an ex cagefighter who is now a software engineer, I am happy to challenge your stereotype.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    There have been studies into this for years, at least since the mid '80s. Little is conclusive due to the scope of most of them. The more telling ones involve slapping fresh cadavers around Sherlock style.
    Great job. How do I apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Incredibly disrespectful in a sport where people are attempting to seriously injure each other. I hope he gets his arm snapped in his next fight.
    It's really no worse than anything else. Honestly, the girls the scream and hop around up and down like they won The Price is Right annoyed me more at Judo and Grappling tourneys than anything else. In my fights, I'd just flex and make a stupid face.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Well, everyone has more muscles than brains if we're taking that literally. Otherwise we'd be, you know, unable to move. As an ex cagefighter who is now a software engineer, I am happy to challenge your stereotype.
    Indeed, I'd say amateur boxing up to light heavy is one of the very best sports to watch. Television coverage of it often lets it down. Judo from kids up to veterans of all weight classes is also a great watch but to get something out of it you have to understand it a bit I think. or it might just look like one guy trying to pull the other's pants off.