Poll: Should world leaders answer questions in other languages?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Hilary Clinton and the Spanish press conference.

So Hilary has began answering questions in Spanish at press conference. Is it too much to ask people speak English now to participate in politics?

To our European friends......how would you feel if your leaders started answering questions in Arabic or Moroccan?

She is clearly bilingual (as in, she can clearly speak English fine.) Why do people think it is bad thing to speak more than one language. I can't stand the massive cunt bag but I have no issue with her doing a specific interview for a specific audience in any language, even if it was Arabic.

I haven't seen your specific example, but if she was answering in the stereotypical Spanglish ignorant version, I could see a problem with it.

Deleted
    if its to a primarily speaking Spanish audience i see no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a stupid comparison, considering Europeans commonly speak 2-3 languages.

America is the ass backwards one here with their "Ermergerd Engrish!!" versus how the rest of the modern world operates.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    To our European friends......how would you feel if your leaders started answering questions in Arabic or Moroccan?
    A more comparable question would be: what if they answered questions in english? Do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Engrish!!" .
    You are very confused as to how Americans sound.

Trigger warning, speaking another language. Added to the PC outrage catalogue.

In America we speak AMERICAN! ALL OTHER LANGUAGES ARE OUTLAWED! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

10+ Year Old Account
    Appealing to the target audience of that speech, I see no problem. I don't speak Spanish myself, but why are we scoffing at her for speaking Spanish?

7+ Year Old Account
    Cachate a tu vieja culiao. Is this really a reason for outrage or even be bothered about?

Not all American citizens speak english well, some learned it as a second language and feel much more comfortable conversing in spanish than english.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multiple languages without overlap is damaging to the unity of a society.

Learning additional languages is costly in terms of both time and money, and serves only to bring everyone to the same point (thus having no additional benefits).

Therefore I'm of the opinion that a country should have one official language, and everyone should speak it. If one does not speak it, they should learn it, and programs should be offered to assist.

In light of this, all I see here is pandering and identity politics, both strategies that I'm not particularly fond of.
    Last edited by Underverse; 2016-07-27 at 11:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Multiple languages without overlap is damaging to the unity of a society.

Learning additional languages is costly in terms of both time and money, and serves only to bring everyone to the same point (thus having no additional benefits).

Therefore I'm of the opinion that a country should have one official language, and everyone should speak it. If one does not speak it, they should learn it, and programs should be offered to assist.

In light of this, all I see here is pandering and identity politics, both strategies that I'm not particularly fond of.
    I somewhat agree with this, but it should be noted that even if someone proposed this, those people might not be able to understand that messages hence their vote that could actually help themselves and the country, could be lost, and you'd be no better off than before.¨
    It is always a question of either making compromises to better things, or hope that ignoring it or "beating" it into people will do the job.

If you cant be bothered to learn the language then you arent integrating, if you arent integrating than you are a detriment to the society. Immigration can work out really well, but theres no ESPN Deutsch or ESPN Italia being rammed down our throats, those immigrants integrated.

Deleted
    If you cant be bothered to learn the language then you arent integrating, if you arent integrating than you are a detriment to the society. Immigration can work out really well, but theres no ESPN Deutsch or ESPN Italia being rammed down our throats, those immigrants integrated.
    Quick question, is english classes free in the US for immigrants?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenros View Post
    Quick question, is english classes free in the US for immigrants?
    yes there are lots of places that offer free English as a second language classes
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    yes there are lots of places that offer free English as a second language classes
    Yeah okay then I can agree that this is on themselves and they should shape up.

the USA is #2 in most spanish speakers only behind Mexico

counting first and second language folks, over 55 million Americans speak it

it's perfectly reasonable to use Spanish

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    So Hilary has began answering questions in Spanish at press conference. Is it too much to ask people speak English now to participate in politics?

rofl

Most Europeans speak more than one language. Heck, all Canadians are taught English and French. Just like Hillary is doing, they speak whichever is appropriate to the given audience.

Of course, if Jeb Bush was the Republican nominee, we wouldn't be hearing about this being a problem...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    In America we speak AMERICAN! ALL OTHER LANGUAGES ARE OUTLAWED! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
    I vote that we steal English and rename it American...

What are the British gonna do about it? Nuffin.