Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies.

I should have linked this in my post, but here is my current CPU.

I'm getting the RX 480 (8GB) as soon as they're in stock, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to upgrade my CPU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, long story short, I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to this:

-CLICKY-

Here is my current CPU cooler.

Just curious if I really need liquid cooling, or if my Silver Arrow will be enough to handle the job.

Thanks in advanced!
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm getting the RX 480 (8GB) as soon as they're in stock, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to upgrade my CPU.

If you are set on upgrading to the FX9590 you need make sure that your CPU cooler is capable of cooling a 220W CPU otherwise you will need either a high end Air cooler and a AOI liquid cooler.

Make sure that your motherboard will support it and your PSU will be able to run it as well most AM3+ boards only support the 125W FX CPU's

Be 100% sure before you buy it could end up costing you more.
    Last edited by mmoc1fab9139ca; 2016-08-04 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks for the replies.

why not upgrade to an 8350 for less and not worry about getting a new cooler + the headaches of the 9590. All that is really changing is number of cores and stock clock speed any of the 8000 series FX octa core piledrivers would be superior to what you have now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-284-_-Product

160 bucks stock speed of 4.0 / 4.2 turbo excellent reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal Sorcerer View Post
    why not upgrade to an 8350 for less and not worry about getting a new cooler + the headaches of the 9590. All that is really changing is number of cores and stock clock speed any of the 8000 series FX octa core piledrivers would be superior to what you have now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-284-_-Product

160 bucks stock speed of 4.0 / 4.2 turbo excellent reviews.
    Upgrading AM3+ to AM3+ is throwing money in the trash.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-08-04 at 02:11 PM.

Do not even think of think of upgrading to AMD. Also, your cooler will do good for you for a long time (I'm still using my Archon from 2010).

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Upgrading AM3+ to AM3+ is trowing money in the trash.
    well clearly he was thinking of re using his motherboard and he wanted to upgrade to a 9590 there aren't a lot of AMD boards that support the 225w TDP of the 9590.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Noctua NH-D14 and 15 are far better than low-mid liquid cooling and are more than enough for reasonable OC
    +1

Running a NH-D15 here and I actually moved from a custom water loop, I wear headphones and can't hear it at idle or when gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal Sorcerer View Post
    well clearly he was thinking of re using his motherboard and he wanted to upgrade to a 9590 there aren't a lot of AMD boards that support the 225w TDP of the 9590.
    Bingo.

Trying to squeeze as much life as I can of of my mobo.

Bingo.

Trying to squeeze as much life as I can of of my mobo.
    Sorry but it's a waste of money. Platform is dead.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

THe best air coolers (Noctua NH-D15 particularly) get pretty much identical performance to the closed loop water coolers like the H100i and H110i, and they're typically about the same price.

In my experience though the Corsair water coolers are all generally easier to install than many air coolers. The bracket for them is 1 for Intel (that works for either LGA 2011 or 115x), 1 for AMD, and 3 sets of screws. Then the cooling piece just just screws on top.

This contrasts with MANY Air Coolers I've worked with that often have weird transformable brackets for every socket ever created in the last 15 years and poorly translated instructions and require tiny hands to install it or something.

I'll make it simple. If you're going to spend <$120 for a cooler, get a Corsair H100i v2, H115i or H80i if you want Water cooling, depending what can fit in your case. If you want air cooling and same performance for reasons, get the Noctua NH-D15. The difference is a rounding error. Don't spend money on anything else. It's not worth your time.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    In my experience though the Corsair water coolers are all generally easier to install than many air coolers.
    The OP already has a Thermalright Silver Arrow which is just as good as a H100i and easier to install*

*If you are just swapping a CPU as you only have to detach/attach the heatsink not the mounting bracket it attaches too.

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    you do not NEED a liquid Cooler
    you never do

The only time you need a Liquid cooler is if you're going to OC a bunch.

it's possible to get a Fan Cooler that works just aswell as a liquid in many cases and also for slight OC.
    My Noctua NH-D15 comes to mind, but it's a bit of a beast in size.
    100% wrong. The 9000 series CPUs require a water cooler because they run so hot. They are not even available with an air cooler. They come with either none (so you can buy the water cooler you want), or with a factory water cooler.

Even AMDs "recommended components" for these CPUs states:
    CPU Cooler:
    Antec KUHLER H2O 920 or similar cooler
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2016-08-04 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    100% wrong. The 9000 series CPUs require a water cooler because they run so hot. They are not even available with an air cooler. They come with either none (so you can buy the water cooler you want), or with a factory water cooler.

Even AMDs "recommended components" for these CPUs states:
    CPU Cooler:
    Antec KUHLER H2O 920 or similar cooler
    They just can't have a cheap air cooler. Some air coolers actually outperform AIO water coolers. The Theralright Silver Arrow is among the best Air Coolers. As you can see here:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...row_ITX/6.html

Under load with an OC it keeps a CPU cooler than an H110. It starts to struggle to keep up a max loads, about 4 degrees behind the H110, but those are situations a regular user will never really reach unless benchmarking.

So sure, liquid cooling is far and away better than stock coolers and budget options for air coolers, but when you get in to the high end air coolers, there is not that much of a difference, and the Silver Arrow is definitely a top end air cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    I snagged an AIO cooler (think the h50) because my computer is in a room sans A/C.
    Does a good job of just keeping it cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    They just can't have a cheap air cooler. Some air coolers actually outperform AIO water coolers. The Theralright Silver Arrow is among the best Air Coolers. As you can see here:

Under load with an OC it keeps a CPU cooler than an H110.
    Air coolers generally will not keep the temps down on the 9000 series. The reason is because the 9000s are simply high-binned 8000s that have had their voltages jacked up and OCed at the factory. For any other CPUs I would agree. I would never put an air cooler on one of the 9000 CPUs though. The heat they generate is insane.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no special magic that makes water ultimately superior compared to air. The best air coolers come very close to the best water coolers. Why would there be a problem with this? How is this a hard concept to understand?

AIR-COOLED (NOCTUA NH-D15) FX-9590 - LOG AND NOTES

Noctua's NH-D15 Versus Five High End Closed Loop Liquid Coolers

Noctua NH-D15 reviewed and compared to bunch of other coolers

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, long story short, I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to this:

-CLICKY-

Here is my current CPU cooler.

Just curious if I really need liquid cooling, or if my Silver Arrow will be enough to handle the job.

Thanks in advanced!
    That's a wonderful and beautiful CPU cooler and I still wish sometimes that I'd gotten it a long time ago.

However, I'm very happy I now have a Noctua NH-D15. ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Also tbh that processor the OP linked seems overkill. Just get a 6 core FX tbh and throw a 212 evo in there.
    OP already has a heatsink that is better than the 212 Evo if you checked his second link...

Also, @Tikaru, why do you want to upgrade to that CPU anyways?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Air coolers generally will not keep the temps down on the 9000 series. The reason is because the 9000s are simply high-binned 8000s that have had their voltages jacked up and OCed at the factory. For any other CPUs I would agree. I would never put an air cooler on one of the 9000 CPUs though. The heat they generate is insane.
    Despite benchmarks that prove that air coolers can keep a CPU at nearly the same temperature as AIO liquid coolers? Ok, you are just denying facts at this point. If you look at the last benchmarks I posted, you see that even under max load a Silver Arrow is within 1 degree of the NH-D15. Here's how the NH-D15 compares to some other water coolers:

Nearly the same results. These are top end air coolers that perform nearly identically to AIO coolers, while being cheaper. These are not your run of the mill cheap/budget air coolers. Heat Pipe technology has come along quite a bit and does just as good a job at getting the heat away from the source as water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    There's no special magic that makes water ultimately superior compared to air. The best air coolers come very close to the best water coolers. Why would there be a problem with this? How is this a hard concept to understand?

AIR-COOLED (NOCTUA NH-D15) FX-9590 - LOG AND NOTES

Noctua's NH-D15 Versus Five High End Closed Loop Liquid Coolers

Noctua NH-D15 reviewed and compared to bunch of other coolers
    You notice he is running it at stock clocks? Notice it hits 74c under a stress test? Notice it hits 64c avg on WItcher3 Ultra?

Now guess what the AMD specified Max User Temps is? 57c..once it passes that, it goes outside the 220w TDP listed for those models, and they state that is Ok until you hit 61c, and you should not go above that.

So that air cooler does not cut it.

I've been overclocked by over 1ghz for 5 years on air cooling (Noctua), pretty certain you don't "need" water cooling.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4