Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Brewmaster in Mythic+

How are we faring in Mythic+? I don't see myself tanking beyond Heroic raids, but I would like to push Mythic+. I keep hearing that all tanks are faring well, but I figured I'd ask the Monk community itself.

What are your experiences so far?

Interested in this as well, I still have to try the new brm in any scenario being back in the game only recently.

Quote Originally Posted by caranthir nine View Post
    Interested in this as well, I still have to try the new brm in any scenario being back in the game only recently.
    For what it's worth, I've done some low end content: 2 mythic dungeons (Shadowmoon Burial Grounds and Auchindoun) and N-HFC (first 6 + Socrethar). I am sitting at 698 item level. Despite never being "topped off", I felt sturdy. I've mentioned this in multiple threads across MMO-Champ, Reddit, and the official forums, but between staggering and purifying and the "oh shit!" orbs + Expel Harm, I feel solid. I just don't know how it compares to more difficult content.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedemel View Post
    I just don't know how it compares to more difficult content.
    As far as prepatch is concerned, the harder they hit the tankier you feel. Monks are great against frequent oneshot mechanics, so that surely will be useful in higher keystone stuff.

I think one of the tricks for BrM tanking is knowing when to pool your gift of the ox orbs to function as a cd taking maximum advantage of resolve. I've been using the heirloom tanking trinket on mythic manny and it's been great lining up with glaive combos. I don't see why this same principle won't apply in legion mythic +

Deleted
    i did some mythic+ on brewmaster and think we are in a very good spot for mythic+. Bear in mind that thrash packs is huge for mythic+ and i think this is the point where brewmaster excels. Because of your stagger you won't randomly get oneshot like other tanks (hello dks and dhs). Leg Sweep is probably the best cc ability for trash packs. Our aoe damage is pretty good and our artifact ability might be the best artifact ability for trash packs of all the tanks as well.

Besides that i was able to push into mythic+9 (with a pug) and had no problem tanking it (i also can't really speak for the skill level of the healer). OD is extremely good in dungeons as the damage is never going to be so high that you get oneshot from 40 to 0 (with ISB up), and so at some points you actually outheal your healer who can focus more on the dps in the group (other tanks need much more heals from the healer than brewmaster it feels like)

I am hitting yellow/red stagger quickly in Mythics, not enough charges/not generating quick enough to counter the high damage taken with stagger/purify. Spending more time staring at my charges than watching mobs, staring at my buff bar watching my brew durations more than mobs. Overall, still having massive issues with the class changes. Other tanks, I don't have to sit there and star my both my buff bar and hotbars for cooldowns. They flow in sync. Brewmaster, not so much A shame, i love the Brewmaster before the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    I am hitting yellow/red stagger quickly in Mythics, not enough charges/not generating quick enough to counter the high damage taken with stagger/purify. Spending more time staring at my charges than watching mobs, staring at my buff bar watching my brew durations more than mobs. Overall, still having massive issues with the class changes. Other tanks, I don't have to sit there and star my both my buff bar and hotbars for cooldowns. They flow in sync. Brewmaster, not so much A shame, i love the Brewmaster before the changes.
    What are you even talking about as your post isn't clear? Tanking in mythic+ on the beta? Or tanking on live?

Because brewmasters are certainly a top 3 tank in mythic+ atm as most people seem to think. Possibly the best. It's an entirely different game from the raids in Legion and brewmasters excel at it a lot more then raid bosses IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaigar View Post
    I think one of the tricks for BrM tanking is knowing when to pool your gift of the ox orbs to function as a cd taking maximum advantage of resolve. I've been using the heirloom tanking trinket on mythic manny and it's been great lining up with glaive combos. I don't see why this same principle won't apply in legion mythic +
    Resolve no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    What are you even talking about as your post isn't clear? Tanking in mythic+ on the beta? Or tanking on live?

Because brewmasters are certainly a top 3 tank in mythic+ atm as most people seem to think. Possibly the best. It's an entirely different game from the raids in Legion and brewmasters excel at it a lot more then raid bosses IMO.
    Mythic dungeons on live. Not beta. I haven't played a tank past 105 on Beta but I have played them all and it still remains up to 105 that the Monk is in piss poor condition. 110 however may be an entirely different story but I don't see how. Gameplay wise, it's still boring as fuck compared to other tanks. Before the patch, I loved my Brewmaster. Now, I loathe him.
    Last edited by Extremities; 2016-08-06 at 03:27 AM.

Mythic dungeons on live. Not beta. I haven't played a tank past 105 on Beta but I have played them all and it still remains up to 105 that the Monk is in piss poor condition. 110 however may be an entirely different story but I don't see how. Gameplay wise, it's still boring as fuck compared to other tanks. Before the patch, I loved my Brewmaster. Now, I loathe him.
    This thread has nothing to do with what you find boring, this thread is about how well it gets the job done. Brewmasters do well in Mythic+, doesn't matter how "boring" you find the play.

If you're having problems tanking mythic dungeons on live, you should figure it out as the shit is piss easy. If you're simply arguing something is "boring" that's not what this thread is about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsab11 View Post
    OD is extremely good in dungeons as the damage is never going to be so high that you get oneshot from 40 to 0 (with ISB up), and so at some points you actually outheal your healer who can focus more on the dps in the group (other tanks need much more heals from the healer than brewmaster it feels like)
    That is very concerning if we're depending on OD to be strong, with their new direction of design choice this is definitely not intended (an artifact trait that is superior to baseline healing?). I assume you outheal because you abuse OD? A non-CD "passive" healing that keeps you floating without a healer is a design that begs to be nerfed.

Nevertheless it does sound like BRM works out at a fundamental level, how competitive it is remains to be seen with gear scaling etc. Assuming mythic+ works out like D3 GR - spec weaknesses/strengths will become much more evident as we progress. Btw anyone know how mana management is for healers at 110?

If you're having problems tanking mythic dungeons on live, you should figure it out as the shit is piss easy. If you're simply arguing something is "boring" that's not what this thread is about.
    Off-topic but in his defense the BRM is somewhat lacking if you're not a little bit decent geared on pre-patch. Taking on mythic dungeons <685 requires more tactical effort and a slower pace compared to DK & Prot w (and a team that doesn't bull-rushes). The topic however is not relevant here and should be in a different thread.

I wouldn't want to be anything else in a Mythic+.

It's beautiful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenheaven View Post
    That is very concerning if we're depending on OD to be strong, with their new direction of design choice this is definitely not intended (an artifact trait that is superior to baseline healing?). I assume you outheal because you abuse OD? A non-CD "passive" healing that keeps you floating without a healer is a design that begs to be nerfed.

Nevertheless it does sound like BRM works out at a fundamental level, how competitive it is remains to be seen with gear scaling etc. Assuming mythic+ works out like D3 GR - spec weaknesses/strengths will become much more evident as we progress. Btw anyone know how mana management is for healers at 110?
    i never said you have to abuse OD to be good in mythic+. It's more of a when shit hits the fan you are going to be fine while other tanks might struggle a lot. Your mastery and healing orbs generation is extremely high even above 35% (with 4 or 5 mobs attacking you). I also never was the first one to die during any run (you can argue that the healer had to heal me significantly more and couldnt heal the others), which shows that BRM does more than fine in mythic+

This thread has nothing to do with what you find boring, this thread is about how well it gets the job done. Brewmasters do well in Mythic+, doesn't matter how "boring" you find the play.

No need to all hostile bud. We're just having a discussion. I was just stating my opinion on the matter in general. The changes to the Brewmaster are shit, at least to me. I cannot tank what I used to be able to tank on him rather well and the changes in general made for boring gameplay. Point being, if I am struggling now on live in regular mythics(and I have more than adequate gear), I cannot imagine mythic+'s being any different unless 110 with 110 gear makes THAT large of a difference for our class. What you're "hearing" and what is reality are two entirely different things. Experience 110 with 110 gear and Artifact before believing what people are telling you cause it sounds like you're buying into what you're hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No need to all hostile bud. We're just having a discussion. I was just stating my opinion on the matter in general. The changes to the Brewmaster are shit, at least to me. I cannot tank what I used to be able to tank on him rather well and the changes in general made for boring gameplay. Point being, if I am struggling now on live in regular mythics(and I have more than adequate gear), I cannot imagine mythic+'s being any different unless 110 with 110 gear makes THAT large of a difference for our class. What you're "hearing" and what is reality are two entirely different things. Experience 110 with 110 gear and Artifact before believing what people are telling you cause it sounds like you're buying into what you're hearing.
    Outside of Chi Torpedo abuse, I don't see how old BrM was any less "boring". We have more to do and watch out for now.

And as people who have done mythic+ have said, BrM is strong and useful there. The WoD mythics are simply horribly tuned since my 745 monk feels weak there. Legion content is very different obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard

Quote Originally Posted by keqe View Post
    Outside of Chi Torpedo abuse, I don't see how old BrM was any less "boring". We have more to do and watch out for now.

And as people who have done mythic+ have said, BrM is strong and useful there. The WoD mythics are simply horribly tuned since my 745 monk feels weak there. Legion content is very different obviously.
    The gameplay completely changed. Now, I am sitting there watching my charges of Purify, and ISB as well as its duration, Im doing more micromanaging of buffs and my energy than I am watching and adjusting to fights. Before you could spam Tiger Palm making it less painstaking at watching your energy regen. Now, you can't. So our basic attack changed, our energy usage changed, our class mechanic changed, our damage changed, our self healing took a massive hit, The combat flowed better before. Everything pretty much changed about the class. The only thing that really "remained" was that our mechanic is still based on Stagger but its more emphasized now. And what's this you mention Chi Torpedo abuse?
    Last edited by Extremities; 2016-08-06 at 03:36 PM.

A few things here: you can absolutely, and I suggest it, ignore anything that "Tech614" ever says as, chances are, he's wrong or just mad about another thing on the internet. (check that post history)

Second, it sounds like you need a better means of tracking brew charges if you're staring at your bars nonstop. Also, if you're waiting for a brew charge to come up because you're at 0 and you need it, you're playing the spec wrong. If you're purifying whenever you see "Moderate Stagger", you're playing the spec wrong.

Third, Mythic+ is a dream with a brewmaster tank. High damage, incredible survivability, high activity, and unrivaled mobility. At 110, you have 6259 base stamina, with the stamina being huge on every piece of gear. You have max HP traits on the artifact. You gain .75% stamina for every trait you purchase. There is a very high amount of wiggle room at 110. At 856 ilvl, I am sitting at 3.4mil hp and most Legion mobs don't hit nearly as hard, proportionally, to WoD mobs unless they're augmented in some way (Bolstered, Mythic raid bosses, failed Active Mitigation checks).

Finally, what do you mean by boring? Low APM? Low variety? The APM is higher than it's ever been at any point and the variety is on-par with the other tanks. If you're not able to tank what you were tanking before, you're doing something very wrong or your healer is garbo. There are easier tank classes to play if you're finding brewmaster difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    A few things here: you can absolutely, and I suggest it, ignore anything that "Tech614" ever says as, chances are, he's wrong or just mad about another thing on the internet. (check that post history)

Second, it sounds like you need a better means of tracking brew charges if you're staring at your bars nonstop. Also, if you're waiting for a brew charge to come up because you're at 0 and you need it, you're playing the spec wrong. If you're purifying whenever you see "Moderate Stagger", you're playing the spec wrong.

Third, Mythic+ is a dream with a brewmaster tank. High damage, incredible survivability, high activity, and unrivaled mobility. At 110, you have 6259 base stamina, with the stamina being huge on every piece of gear. You have max HP traits on the artifact. You gain .75% stamina for every trait you purchase. There is a very high amount of wiggle room at 110. At 856 ilvl, I am sitting at 3.4mil hp and most Legion mobs don't hit nearly as hard, proportionally, to WoD mobs unless they're augmented in some way (Bolstered, Mythic raid bosses, failed Active Mitigation checks).

Finally, what do you mean by boring? Low APM? Low variety? The APM is higher than it's ever been at any point and the variety is on-par with the other tanks. If you're not able to tank what you were tanking before, you're doing something very wrong or your healer is garbo. There are easier tank classes to play if you're finding brewmaster difficult.
    See, now this is a nice discussion. No, I don't find it difficult to play, I never have. I pride myself on being good tanks. All my characters are tanks and have played them for many years so I am confident in my abilities to tank on each individual tank. That said, I find it feeling much different than it did before. I feel like I am taking more damage even though I shouldn't be with our stagger percentage being higher than it was before. I do not purify in green or yellow. I wait for red.

On another note, how are Monks at 110 compared to DK's? You have any experience with them?

See, now this is a nice discussion. No, I don't find it difficult to play, I never have. I pride myself on being good tanks. All my characters are tanks and have played them for many years so I am confident in my abilities to tank on each individual tank. That said, I find it feeling much different than it did before. I feel like I am taking more damage even though I shouldn't be with our stagger percentage being higher than it was before. I do not purify in green or yellow. I wait for red.

On another note, how are Monks at 110 compared to DK's? You have any experience with them?
    The only alpha/beta experience I've had on DK was in the alpha, so it's pretty meaningless now. I do know that their damage taken is very high, but their healing is also very high.