10+ Year Old Account
    Related to absolutely no topic but this is fucking awesome, and it's coming in a week and a half, like everything else.

Hey, is a "Samsung EVO 250Gb" SSD for 87 Euros a better buy than "Crucial BX200 240GB" for 65 Euros?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For a third of the price more money? I wouldn't say so... Crucial and Samsung are both so neck and neck with quality control and all, and to see the speed difference you'd only ever notice it by seeing the numbers in benchmarks: literally all SATA III standard SSDs are that close to each other it's silly that anyone tries to compare speed, in the first place, anyways.

I'd personally go the Crucial route - I'm not biased at all, I own four Crucial SSDs and their Lexar brand Compact flash and Micro SD cards and a Samsung monitor and Galaxy phone, also have a Samsung 4k TV.

Make of that what you will. I trust Crucial for SSDs and for 22 Euros less, that's a hard sell to tell me the Samsung is a better buy.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Gonna buy this build:

CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5Ghz
    GPU - Sapphire Radeon RX 470 NITRO+
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2x8GB
    PSU - Fractal Design Edison M 550W PSU
    HDD - WD Desktop Blue 1TB 3.5"
    Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Kjøler
    Motherboard - MSI Z170A PC MATE, Socket-1151
    Case - Phanteks Enthoo PRO M

Anyone have anything they think should be swapped out for better parts for about the same price.

Has to be from the site Komplett.no so somewhat limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks great tbh, you could perhaps find a better CPU cooler for the same price but this won't make any meaningful improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this stamina mode on this new phone. Just keep it on forever. Too bad google had to fuck with it.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-15 at 03:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice @evn! Looking forward to seeing whatcha make!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I like this stamina mode on this new phone. Just keep it on forever. Too bad google had to fuck with it.
    Which one? Depending on usage, I barely had to charge my z2 or z3 compact more often than every five days, but with light to moderate use each of those days. Stamina mode it is.
    If I'd have left it alone, more like seven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Which one? Depending on usage, I barely had to charge my z2 or z3 compact more often than every five days, but with light to moderate use each of those days. Stamina mode it is.
    If I'd have left it alone, more like seven.
    Xperia X Performance (International version, got it in Taiwan so no gimpiness)
    I haven't charged the phone for 3 days right now anyways, >.>
    Only light uses since nothing is going on but yeah, I barely notice much of a performance difference with stamina mode on but battery life lasts so much longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to know how you guys manage to not use your phones pretty much at all... x_x
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I want to know how you guys manage to not use your phones pretty much at all... x_x
    Easy, basically nobody that I send/receive texts or calls with and I do all my web browsing on PC. Squinting at stuff on a phone for too long gets annoying for me

Though watching 1080p @ 60fps youtube videos all the time does eat up my Note 4's battery and I have to charge it every 2-3 days. Otherwise it lasts even longer.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically this. Right now a professor is teaching some Laplace transform usage in transfer functions that we've learned a thousand times by now and I would be bored to death without my phone. I mean, I still pay attention because it would be disrespectful not to but I'm also using the phone quite often...

I... used a laptop in class. Why would I use my phone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see...

In a typical 10 hour shift at work, I'll use my phone to kill time, check the stock markets, read articles, fly through the wonderful world of the Facebook News Feed, etc. I'll also use it to look up the houses/businesses I'm delivering to, when I'm not 100% sure of where they are located.

My manager goes through his battery like no one else... he's always on reddit or watching No Man's Sky videos.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause laptop.

Also when I was working in the kitchen, doesn't really allow for many down time.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-17 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause laptop.

Also when I was working in the kitchen, doesn't really allow for many down time.
    haha I should film like a ten minute video of what a typical day might look like at my job.

I feel I might loose respect from some of you, but a lot might be jealous at how relaxed the environment is. The pay is only good for me, since I'm a delivery driver. If I wasn't a delivery driver, I wouldn't work there. Period.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    VC-backed startup checking in: life's rough. Pool table is out for repairs and somebody was sitting in my favourite couch this morning—had to leave the office and go work down at the beach just to clam my nerves.
    Okay, never mind my post.

I hate love you!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zenpai hype is real. SB IPC? It's matching BW-E!

10+ Year Old Account

Best SATA placement... truly.
    "A flower.

Is there a difference between "stamina mode" and the "Battery Saver" that comes in vanilla Android? (I have a Nexus 5, so no platform specific OS mods or anything like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Why would I use my phone?
    I'm not a power user with my phone by any means, but it still gets used quite a bit throughout the day. I'll web browse while commuting (by bus I hasten to add - I'm not a crazy person who uses my phone while driving) and play music on it throughout the day at work (either from disk or streaming with Pandora or the like). Sometimes, if I have a lot of extra bandwidth at the end of a pay period, I'll burn it listening to stuff on Youtube. :P There is also the occasional bluetooth tethering with my Surface while at a cafe or something.

I get a good day plus change on a single charge.

VC-backed startup checking in: life's rough. Pool table is out for repairs and somebody was sitting in my favourite couch this morning—had to leave the office and go work down at the beach just to clam my nerves.
    Damn, @evn...

I'm happy I can spend most of my time in an isolated lab (which is mostly deserted) instead of the cube farm. It also has the nice perk of allowing me play music through speakers and have 4 monitors (cube land has a limit of 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Zenpai hype is real. SB IPC? It's matching BW-E!
    It beat Intel at the Blender render test? That's impressive. I wonder how it'll translate to single threaded tasks (like WoW). I know there was a chart saying that it had a 40% higher IPC than Excavator, but I'm not sure how that compares to Intel chips. (I haven't used an AMD chip since Athlon was beating the pants of Pentium 4s.)

Also, @Artorius, completely unrelated, but your avatar and signature clash a little bit. Your sig looks very smooth and refined while your avatar has a "rough/sketch" look. I'm not saying it's bad just, they don't seem to go together. No hate or anything - just an observation.

- - - Updated - - -

Best SATA placement... truly.
    I laughed at that, too.

- - - Updated - - -

This blog post about "the future of modern web applications" has been doing the rounds.
    I understood none of the names in there, but some of the concepts. I'm not sure what that says about me other than confirming:

a) I'm not a unix native
    b) I don't work on distributed software that runs across multiple computers or has a large number of concurrent users

Networking? Yeah, not my area of expertise. Now graphics programming, now we're talking!