Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyAmIhere View Post
    Yeah with the addition of CD discs over Floppy discs i haven't been able to adjust to them either. I always found Floppy discs more reliable and sturdy.
    Ironic, isn't it? Floppy discs more sturdy

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    To each their own i suppose, i would just really like to see a breakdown of how popular disc is a month into the xpac does anyone know of a site that tracks this?
    The statistics on warcraftlogs.com are probably your best proxy for this.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...s&difficulty=4

You can toggle the dropdown between 'In Legion pre-patch' and 'In Warlords of Draenor' to see a before and after comparison of healer participation. You really don't want to compare the absolute parse counts but rather the percentage of overall parses uploaded by spec.

With 'In Legion pre-patch' we are seeing ~6% of parses being uploaded by Disc Priests. With 'In Warlords of Draenor' we were seeing ~21% of parses being uploaded by Disc Priests.
    With 'In Legion pre-patch' we are seeing ~17% of parses being uploaded by Holy Priests. With 'In Warlords of Draenor' we were seeing ~5% of parses being uploaded by Holy Priests.

So far it appears to basically be the opposite of WoD in terms of Priest healing spec participation. Looking at these same numbers about a month or so after the raids open will give us a clearer picture. There are a lot of factors right now that are contributing to this especially the huge change in play style for the Discipline spec.

Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    The statistics on warcraftlogs.com are probably your best proxy for this.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...s&difficulty=4

You can toggle the dropdown between 'In Legion pre-patch' and 'In Warlords of Draenor' to see a before and after comparison of healer participation. You really don't want to compare the absolute parse counts but rather the percentage of overall parses uploaded by spec.

With 'In Legion pre-patch' we are seeing ~6% of parses being uploaded by Disc Priests. With 'In Warlords of Draenor' we were seeing ~21% of parses being uploaded by Disc Priests.
    With 'In Legion pre-patch' we are seeing ~17% of parses being uploaded by Holy Priests. With 'In Warlords of Draenor' we were seeing ~5% of parses being uploaded by Holy Priests.

So far it appears to basically be the opposite of WoD in terms of Priest healing spec participation. Looking at these same numbers about a month or so after the raids open will give us a clearer picture. There are a lot of factors right now that are contributing to this especially the huge change in play style for the Discipline spec.
    Nice explanation, i will be keeping an eye on that! Thanks.

Holy is almost as bad of a design as disc, of all the healing specs it is in my opinion priest have the two worst designed. Holy revolves around two spells that have long cooldowns that are reduced by casting other spells.....just to have them come up just in time that you dont need them anymore.

I am honestly not this negative of a person, i just really am not happy with either healing spec....thats why im going shammy or MW for legion. I did not want to change mains at all, blizzard forced me to.

I just gotta ask many of the people in favor of disc (or even holy), do you not play other healers? I think many of you are just so tied to your character you have no other choice but to like it, this is exactly the situation where i am glad i level all my toons to max level before an xpac....you never know whats gonna happen.
    Blizzard did not FORCE you to do anything. You chose to do it. If they deleted the spec from Priests, that is forcing you to play something else. Otherwise, the choice is still yours to play what you want. All of my toons are healers and I play them all pretty often. I love the new disc, so what you think is incorrect. If you don't like it and cannot properly play the spec, that's fine. Go play a different spec and let the people who actually are good at it, shine while they play it. I like the way the new disc makes it so people who just fall asleep while healing a raid won't play it. Instead, they will be playing shamans and druids. Enjoy your shaman or MW in legion.
    Stay weird. Stay strong and beautiful. It's those uniquenesses, those things that make us different that makes us powerful. Live to defy.

I believe disc will become a pretty niche healer, and widely regarded as " not a real healer". This has nothing to do with whether or not it is fun. I think the reality is going to be that they are an offspec caliber class that works well in raids and maybe solo or even pvp, but there will always be a tipping point in 5 mans and small raid groups where raw throughput is needed. Thus why I say niche. I think most disc players will need to build up a second spec rather than maining it full time. There will be a few on this forum who are in large guilds and can play the spec very well, but imo they will be the "vocal minority", and there experiences will be clouded by the peculiarities of their guild and skill.

To expound, I think disc will become more important near the end of expac and content patches when everyone is overgeared. The throughput won't be needed, groups will want to push damage to clear farm content faster, etc... The popularity will probably ebb and flow.

I imagine people in smaller guilds with "average" or even bad players will struggle the most..
    Last edited by Kilee25; 2016-08-27 at 12:34 PM.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Well support is a little harsh. They have stated that it is a hybrid and like.. one of the best situations for it is like if you're not sure whether you want 4 or 5 healers so you take disc who can focus more on deal damage that raid and kinda support.

- - - Updated - - -

This times a thousand lol. Complaining about how difficult a spec is without addons is like saying driving a car is hard without mirrors.
    Cars come with mirrors as standard however

True there's a fine line between addons that "help" and addons that make the difference between playable and unplayable...
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

I don't like the new disc and I am very happy to see it will not be topping meters anymore the way it did for many years since WotLK second half. I'll be finally free to go holy for heals and perhaps shadow for dps.

1. Disc had mana issues when I tested 7.0.

2. It is subpar healing and subpar dps. I did not mind the old disc atonement or old shadow healing. But I do not want to do subpar healing b/c of subpar dps.

3. Most importantly, I hate the frustration I would feel when I set up my atonement on a bunch in a raid and a different group takes dmg, then I wasted my atonement due to unpredictable dmg. If I try to set up atonement reactionarily (is that a word?), then other healers in raid will heal way before I can and then I wasted my atonement. I have not figured a way to play disc competitively in a raid and it seems too much work and too much rng frustration for too little heals. It is just not fun.

I'll reply again and take the hit for the infraction. OP doesn't care about "fun" or mechanics. Disc is hard now. Kind of. You have to work and can't lol smite ala MOP or lol bubble ala WOD. You're not going to top meters with minimum effort or snipe heals anymore.

Disc had two major problems from MOP onwards. The mechanics were boring and the spec marginalized the other healers in your raid. Those two problems have been solved.

Quote Originally Posted by constantduty View Post
    I'll reply again and take the hit for the infraction. OP doesn't care about "fun" or mechanics. Disc is hard now. Kind of. You have to work and can't lol smite ala MOP or lol bubble ala WOD. You're not going to top meters with minimum effort or snipe heals anymore.

Disc had two major problems from MOP onwards. The mechanics were boring and the spec marginalized the other healers in your raid. Those two problems have been solved.
    Just, no. Fun isnt pressing more buttons just for the sake of it. Take SV hunters, i probably wouldn't mind the spec if it wasnt so convoluted half the buttons do the same thing. BM while having less buttons is better designed, i love the idea of having a button that reduces the cooldown of my burst ability. I mained an afflock in naxx 25 days which was arguably the most "difficult" spec in WoW's history, difference between that and todays disc is one of them was fun...

Just, no. Fun isnt pressing more buttons just for the sake of it. Take SV hunters, i probably wouldn't mind the spec if it wasnt so convoluted half the buttons do the same thing. BM while having less buttons is better designed, i love the idea of having a button that reduces the cooldown of my burst ability. I mained an afflock in naxx 25 days which was arguably the most "difficult" spec in WoW's history, difference between that and todays disc is one of them was fun...
    Too bad 'fun' is subjective. I played a warlock in Naxx 25 and loved how affliction played. I also play disc now and it will be my main spec in Legion and absolutely love the play style.
    Izzirogue of Tyrannosaurus Rekt - Hyjal | @izzirez

Quote Originally Posted by Izzirez View Post
    Too bad 'fun' is subjective. I played a warlock in Naxx 25 and loved how affliction played. I also play disc now and it will be my main spec in Legion and absolutely love the play style.
    And that is exactly what the charts will tell us in a months time, i actually believe blizz will have to make a 180 on disc....or at least some major mechanic changes. If representation is at the levels i think its going to be, fine tuning will not save the spec.

One thing not a single person mentioned in this thread, most people who play healers do it because it is a lax spec. Yes of course this depends on the content you are running, but for the most part healing is the sit back and relax spec of the holy trinity. Disc is simply too busy right now, and that is ultimately going to be why it gets changed.

Hello everyone. I have been lurking these forums for years and years and have never contributed until now. I have played a holy paladin since vanilla MC and have not played another character past leveling and small dungeon play. My pally literally has thousands of days played. I have played her in all aspects of the game at the highest and lowest levels. Through the good and the bad of patches and expansions, I have stuck with her, whether I enjoyed her or not.

Now that I have a wife and kids and my career has taken off, I have had to switch to casual play for Legion. Because of that, I have decided to change to the class that I have the most fun with, because that is what matters to me only being able to play a few hours at a time. Over the course of the past 9 months or so, I have leveled and played every other class and tested the gameplay in all aspects of the game (farming, pvp, pve, etc.) in all specs trying to determine the most fun class/spec for me to spend my playtime.

Now, this is completely subjective and a lot of people on these forums tend to forget that interests and opinions vary from person to person and what I like doesnt mean you will like it, and if you do, it could be for completely different reasons...but hands down, for me, the new Discipline Priest is the most fun, rewarding and engaging spec. This spec is the most fun I've had in a very long time playing this game.

You actually have to play and pay attention to your decisions and have a thorough understanding of the situation or fight you are currently in; not just focus on your raid or party frames. The gameplay doesn't feel like a chore because of how rewarding it is. If you time your atonements and your damage just right, there isn't a healer in the game who can keep up with you. I really appreciate how challenging the gameplay is. This definitely isn't a spec for the average person. Im not saying I'm a pro by any means, just that in order to be efficient and worthy of a spot in a dungeon, raid or arena team, you need to thoroughly understand everything about your spec, how it works, understand your surroundings and how to prepare/predict what is about to happen whether its in PvE when you know a mechanic is about to happen or in PvP when you can predict when a team is about to burst. When you can successfully heal in those situations it feels sooooo good! That is what I mean by rewarding.

And that is what I personally get out of the Discipline spec. I get a sense of accomplishment out of it. I get great satisfaction knowing that my understanding of fight mechanics and my class directly contributed to my teams success. I feel like I actually beat the boss or opposing arena team rather that reacting to the damage/abilities they threw at my team.

It's all a matter of perspective and what it is that you personally enjoy. People are so quick to get on the defensive about things thinking that their opinion is more valuable than the next persons. And I get it, this is more than a game. Because of the amount of time we invest in it, its a part of our lives and we can get very emotionally attached to certain aspects of it. Just keep in mind that we are all in the same community looking for the same common outcome, to enjoy our experiences when we play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is exactly what the charts will tell us in a months time, i actually believe blizz will have to make a 180 on disc....or at least some major mechanic changes. If representation is at the levels i think its going to be, fine tuning will not save the spec.

One thing not a single person mentioned in this thread, most people who play healers do it because it is a lax spec. Yes of course this depends on the content you are running, but for the most part healing is the sit back and relax spec of the holy trinity. Disc is simply too busy right now, and that is ultimately going to be why it gets changed.
    What? Healing a raid is like a four minute heart attack. When I DPS I can do it quite literally with my eyes closed.

Hmm... Maybe we're getting to the crux of why you don't like disc. I love to heal because I like the responsibility of the run's success. Healing during progression is incredibly involved and stressful. The more successful you are, the more mistakes a group can make which will allow the group to learn and progress. There is a great sense of achievement when you pull a group through a messy progression encounter.

You have a tendency to generalize opinions that are your only own. "Not a single person" has said anything good about disc, people who like priest must not play other classes, healers are lazy - why not generate a constructive, substantive discussion here or just move on to your new monk forums?

Neither Disc nor Holy will ever have the same representation that other healers have simply because it's the only class with two healing specs. There's nothing inherently wrong with that either. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having some specs that appeal to a specific audience and not to the broad mass that 80% of specs are made to appeal to already.

What ultimately matters is a) whether it's going to be viable (which is merely about numbers at this point) and b) whether this specific audience exists (which I've seen plenty evidence of as well).

Claim 1: "most people who play healers do it because it is a lax spec"
    Claim 2: "for the most part healing is the sit back and relax spec of the holy trinity"
    Claim 3: "Disc is simply too busy right now"

There's no evidence at all for claim 1 and even if there was, that still wouldn't mean that every single spec in the game had to cater to the majority. Claim 2 entirely depends on what content you're doing (which you also mentioned) and subsequently isn't a valid generalization. Claim 3 is entirely subjective.
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-08-28 at 08:30 AM.

Disc would be more fun if atonement lasted longer, so it wasn't so frustrating, and it functioned differently in 5-mans.

Right now it's this really obnoxious playstyle where you have to pre-atone tons of raid members in anticipation of raid-wide damage, at which point you do your burst damage thing to heal for tons. Which is great... and during constant, sustained damage where you just can't overheal it's also pretty good. But the rest of the time - which is most of the time - it's a really frustrating, unrewarding spec to play.

The most annoying thing though is how it works in 5 man. Or rather, how it doesn't work in 5 mans. Not very well, anyway. May as well not even have atonement, since you spend all your time spamming shadowmend feeling like a dumbass. Yeah, you get to DPS for bosses, but big deal? I can DPS for bosses on my other healers too. Heck, my resto druid does pretty good DPS like that.

So it's like... why play a disc priest over a resto druid? Resto is just a stronger healer (outside maybe of predictable, burst aoe specifically timed to line up to benefit disc priest cooldowns more than resto cooldowns), and when you don't need to heal outside of raids then resto can basically do the same thing disc can with atonement as well, just they spent the time disc would applying atonement on applying hots. Oh and they have godlike mobility and utility.

There were so many interesting ways they could've gone about creating a DPS-healer, but instead they went with... this... and that's just disappointing.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by constantduty View Post
    No it's not hard and it's not fun. It's extremely simple and the challenge in raiding is knowing the boss you're fighting in depth, not the spec.

As for 5 mans - yes the lol smite or lol bubble is gone. Now is the time of lol shadowmend. And it's even worse then before.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph87 View Post
    And that is what I personally get out of the Discipline spec. I get a sense of accomplishment out of it. I get great satisfaction knowing that my understanding of fight mechanics and my class directly contributed to my teams success. I feel like I actually beat the boss or opposing arena team rather that reacting to the damage/abilities they threw at my team.
    Out of all healers disc is the one with the least control over the team. If your team fucks up you have the least number of options to correct that. No amount of class knowledge will help you when dps consistently stand in the bad while the tank is getting hammered - you just don't have the tools to help them. It's incredibly frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    No it's not hard and it's not fun. It's extremely simple and the challenge in raiding is knowing the boss you're fighting in depth, not the spec.

As for 5 mans - yes the lol smite or lol bubble is gone. Now is the time of lol shadowmend. And it's even worse then before.

Out of all healers disc is the one with the least control over the team. If your team fucks up you have the least number of options to correct that. No amount of class knowledge will help you when dps consistently stand in the bad while the tank is getting hammered - you just don't have the tools to help them. It's incredibly frustrating.
    I am fortunate enough to have been playing with the same core group of 8-10 guys/girls since 2004 and we GENERALLY dont have that issue in small groups. When the raid expands to 17-18+, yes i can see your point and agree that it can be frustrating, but then again, the new disc is not a spot healer. Have trust in your healer team and leave the "oh shit that dumb ass DK didnt move in time" to the ones who excel in that department. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph87 View Post
    I am fortunate enough to have been playing with the same core group of 8-10 guys/girls since 2004 and we GENERALLY dont have that issue in small groups. When the raid expands to 17-18+, yes i can see your point and agree that it can be frustrating, but then again, the new disc is not a spot healer. Have trust in your healer team and leave the "oh shit that dumb ass DK didnt move in time" to the ones who excel in that department. You cant have your cake and eat it too.
    What's the cake that we can't both have and eat in this analogy? Both raid healing and spot healing? Because I'm pretty sure all the other healers have that just fine.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."