Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    During my stay in usa, i was working at busch gardens water county usa. Man the summer was too hot and I was drinking water all the time. After a few days my stomach started to hurt. I couldn't understand why. It became a serious pain and went to doctor. He told me to not drink water. To my surprise, water was the problem. Obviously I was drinking too much water. I stopped drinking that much water and stomach went to normal.
    Water wasnt the problem in your case... but getting hydrated. (aka you drank water, it didnt hydrate you... so you drank more...and more... and more)
    You see water is not the best hydrating liquid out there... its the easiest to get obviously and works 99% of the time but when its way too hot weather and you are physically exerting yourself... then you are better off with something that is designed to hydrate better under such strain.

For example gatorade, its not an energy drink... rather its a sport drink, hydrates you better than water but its useless to drink it casually however if you are doing heavy sport(or work) activity in hot weather... its alot better than drinking only water.

This summer i played football once a week... around 2 hours of constant running. Now normally water was fine but when it was incredibly hot, water didnt help... i was thirsty all the time after it first started, even 10 seconds after having a drink (also had a few muscle cramps) . But i decided to try gatorade just to see if it actually is any help... and surprisingly it did, atleast to me.
    Not only did i drank less during the activity but i also had more energy to push until the very end.
    Last edited by Otaka; 2016-10-18 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Wasn't it said, if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated? We'd never win a desert conflict, if we waited until we were thirsty to drink. And no one would ever get drunk. fuck all the way off with your bullshit.
    How did you manage to condense so much irrelevant nonsense and an insult into a single post?

Overhydration is a new fad. Emphasis on fad. Our body actually has certain water intake requirements and a mechanism for telling us when we are supposed to be drinking water. It is called "thirst".

How much water you need to intake is determined by a range of factors going from your own weight, temperature, amount of physical activity, foods you eat (many foodstuffs like fruits and vegetables have high water contents, like watermelons or peaches for example).

There is no reason to drink if you aren't thirsty or you are suffering from some sort of medical condition that might require extra hydration like blood loss or high fever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Water wasnt the problem in your case... but getting hydrated.
    You see water is not the best hydrating liquid out there... its the easiest to get obviously and works 99% of the time but when its way too hot weather and you are physically exerting yourself... then you are better off with something that is designed to hydrate better under such strain.

For example gatorade, its not an energy drink... rather its a sport drink, hydrates you better than water but its useless to drink it casually however if you are doing heavy sport(or work) activity in hot weather... its alot better than drinking only water.

This summer i played football once a week... around 2 hours of constant running. Now normally water was fine but when it was incredibly hot, water didnt help... i was thirsty all the time after it first started, even 10 seconds after having a drink (also had a few muscle cramps) . But i decided to try gatorade just to see if it actually is any help... and surprisingly it did, atleast to me.
    Not only did i drank less during the activity but i also had more energy to push until the very end.
    Sports drinks are largely horseshit. They aren't hydrating you better by any degree than water does. What sports drinks do is give you a large dose of sugars (which make you feel more energetic) and sodium which you lose during intense and extended exercise.

Sports drinks are really only actually helpful in EXTREMELY SPECIFIC! situations, none of which involve normal physical exercise and only VERY RARELY professional sports.

It's mostly pseudoscientific marketing voodoo.

If you'd get dehydrated a doctor would simply give you water and a saline solution, skipping the sugar component.

/shrug. I usually just sip unsweetened green tea through the day. now.. I don't drink it unless I feel at least some thirst, but I don't wait for it to be a full blown thirst either, that way i can sip slowly instead of gulping it down. yes too much liquids can poison you, that IS actualy a thing. but in my experience at least if I don't drink little by little through the day, I get a headache among other things.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are thirsty (the same with being hungry) it is already too late. Basically it takes times for your body to feel the need for something before you actually feel it yourself. It is like driving a car and it has no indicator for amount of gas but it can tell you it is out of gas, but not before it is actually out of gas and starts running from the reservetank (assuming a car has the reservetank). You should drink and eat regularly and therefore the body doesn't get to feel thirsty or hungry unless you do something different that requires more fuel.

Remaining properly hydrated requires you to drink when you're not thirsty.

Your body's first "symptom" of dehydration is thirst. So if you're waiting until you're thirsty to actually drink anything, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    How did you manage to condense so much irrelevant nonsense and an insult into a single post?
    It's my gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Remaining properly hydrated requires you to drink when you're not thirsty.

Your body's first "symptom" of dehydration is thirst. So if you're waiting until you're thirsty to actually drink anything, you're doing it wrong.
    No you are not. Jesus Christ.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fe...or-hydration#3
    We've heard for years that we need to drink eight, 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Before you start chugging, is it true?
    "There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for that rule," says Kenney. "It's certainly not a harmful rule, but there is no scientific rationale behind it."
    Instead, it's pretty simple: For the average person, drink enough so you go to the bathroom every two to four hours.
    http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...important.html
    You may have heard different recommendations for daily water intake. Most people have been told they should drink 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of water each day, which is a reasonable goal. However, different people need different amounts of water to stay hydrated. Most healthy people can stay well hydrated by drinking water and other fluids whenever they feel thirsty. For some people, fewer than 8 glasses may be enough. Other people may need more than 8 glasses each day.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/
    As a graphic acknowledgement of the limited database upon which to express Estimated Average Requirements for water for different population groups, the Committee and the Institute of Medicine were forced to state “While it might appear useful to estimate an average requirement (an EAR) for water, an EAR based on data is not possible”. Given the extreme variability in water needs that are not solely based on differences in metabolism, but also on environmental conditions and activities, there is not a single level of water intake that would assure adequate hydration and optimum health for half of all apparently healthy persons in all environmental conditions.
    There is no magic amount you should be drinking. For any healthy, normal, active person the rule of "Drink when thirsty, until you stop being thirsty" is a perfectly workable system. It worked JUST FINE for millions of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

Overhydration is a new fad. Emphasis on fad. Our body actually has certain water intake requirements and a mechanism for telling us when we are supposed to be drinking water. It is called "thirst".

How much water you need to intake is determined by a range of factors going from your own weight, temperature, amount of physical activity, foods you eat (many foodstuffs like fruits and vegetables have high water contents, like watermelons or peaches for example).

There is no reason to drink if you aren't thirsty or you are suffering from some sort of medical condition that might require extra hydration like blood loss or high fever.

- - - Updated - - -

Sports drinks are largely horseshit. They aren't hydrating you better by any degree than water does. What sports drinks do is give you a large dose of sugars (which make you feel more energetic) and sodium which you lose during intense and extended exercise.

Sports drinks are really only actually helpful in EXTREMELY SPECIFIC! situations, none of which involve normal physical exercise and only VERY RARELY professional sports.

It's mostly pseudoscientific marketing voodoo.

If you'd get dehydrated a doctor would simply give you water and a saline solution, skipping the sugar component.
    You dont know what you are talking about then... sugar here sugar there... its not about sugar. Its about ELECTROLYTES.
    Sports drink do help... only a person who never tried would say they dont... i tried, i proved myself they work... so they work.

Besides we do need sugar, salts and sodium... since sweating heavily during hot weather combined with heavy sports will make you lose everything from your body. You are not just made of water... theres a whole punch of other stuff that goes away from heavy dehydration.

And that is an extreme case.... doesnt need to be specific, aslong as its more than just getting thirsty. If you also sweat incredibly much and your muscles are being worked hard = water wont hydrate you fast enough or well enough until you stop.
    Gatorade has the same stuff as fruits and stuff would give you... but who eats fruits when doing a heavy exercise? nobody... its horrible idea to eat while exercising.

You shouldnt be worried about the sugar either... soda has twice as much sugar as sports drinks do.

Drink only when you are thirsty - problem solved. Human organism is quite advanced when it comes to survival. Your body will tell you it wants to drink well before you get dehydrated to any margin of danger levels.
    Actually, drinking too much is a much more serious problem. When you do any sport activity especially. During high stress periods your body blocks and conserves liquid inside. Anything that does not go out as sweat, basically does not go out at all. In this scenario it is possible to actually drink yourself to death without even realizing it. There have been several deaths of even professional players (football, soccer) that were due to overhydration. How many people suffer lethal or just traumatic consequences (kidney or liver failure for example) due to overhydration is hard to tell. But drinking without feeling the need for it is definitely dangerous.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2016-10-18 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you're drinking. If it's soda or juice or some other drink that isn't water then yeah you probably shouldn't be constantly drinking it all day. I don't exactly know what happens when you drink too much juice but I know that the only time I'll drink something that isn't water is when I eat. Throughout the day though I am constantly carrying around my water bottle and I refill it at least 2-3 times a day. I should actually be drinking more than that but it's a work in progress. I don't think there is any limit when it comes to water. As others might have said you should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day I think it was.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    If you sitting (sitting for long periods) and drinking only soft drinks and juices filled with sugar and calories will make you gain weight and lead to health problems...so if you going to sit and drink it better be water. If your going to be sitting at least make some healthy choices like instead of eating and drinking junk food eat healthy snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Wasn't it said, if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated? We'd never win a desert conflict, if we waited until we were thirsty to drink. And no one would ever get drunk. fuck all the way off with your bullshit.
    I think that's mostly for if you're outside sweating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8

Adam Ruins Everything explains it pretty well. Drinking too much causes hyponatremia.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    You dont know what you are talking about then... sugar here sugar there... its not about sugar. Its about ELECTROLYTES.
    Sports drink do help... only a person who never tried would say they dont... i tried, i proved myself they work... so they work.

Besides we do need sugar, salts and sodium... since sweating heavily during hot weather combined with heavy sports will make you lose everything from your body. You are not just made of water... theres a whole punch of other stuff that goes away from heavy dehydration.

And that is an extreme case.... doesnt need to be specific, aslong as its more than just getting thirsty. If you also sweat incredibly much and your muscles are being worked hard = water wont hydrate you fast enough or well enough until you stop.
    Gatorade has the same stuff as fruits and stuff would give you... but who eats fruits when doing a heavy exercise? nobody... its horrible idea to eat while exercising.

You shouldnt be worried about the sugar either... soda has twice as much sugar as sports drinks do.
    Absolute horseshit.

Sports drinks (the commercially available none medical electrolyte supplements) have no research to back up their supposed efficacy. On the contrary, sports research institutes and nutrition experts couldn't really find any need for electrolyte supplements for anything under 90 minutes of continuous heavy physical exertion. Medical electrolyte solutions are typically given to patients who suffer from prolonged vomiting, diarrhea and or buliemia/anorexia.

Your argument is basically this -I tried it! And I think it works! Thus the science is garbage!

Or more eloquently put...

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    With all the bullshit being posted here, I would advice everybody to just ask their doctors and not listen to random people for health advice.

What a fascinating species. We built a rocket and landed on the frickin moon, but we still have no idea what to eat or drink.

*popcorns* (pun intended)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I don't think it's too much to ask people to give feedback based on actual abilities/testing, not hyperbole. (Celestalon)

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Truefacts View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8

Adam Ruins Everything explains it pretty well. Drinking too much causes hyponatremia.
    Drinking too little also causes it.

Too many people ITT buying into Big Water's propaganda. Dihydrogen Monoxide is a lethal substance. When an excessive amount is released in an area, it is most often classified as a disaster. Wake up, sheeple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    If you drink when you are thirsty (the same with being hungry) it is already too late. Basically it takes times for your body to feel the need for something before you actually feel it yourself. It is like driving a car and it has no indicator for amount of gas but it can tell you it is out of gas, but not before it is actually out of gas and starts running from the reservetank (assuming a car has the reservetank). You should drink and eat regularly and therefore the body doesn't get to feel thirsty or hungry unless you do something different that requires more fuel.
    so does this mean because i went 2hrs+ without water i'm doomed dr spl4sh3r?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Too many people ITT buying into Big Water's propaganda. Dihydrogen Monoxide is a lethal substance. When an excessive amount is released in an area, it is most often classified as a disaster. Wake up, sheeple.
    yeah drink saltwater instead. it's got VITAMIN SALT PEOPLE! it's what brains crave!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zynara View Post
    where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

why should you only drink if thirsty?
    You shouldn't. If you're thirsty, you've waited too long and your body is telling you to DRINK. Consistent water/fluid intake throughout the day is very health.