Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Because lord knows, WoW players fucking love content droughts.

Oh wait, that argument only applies when you're complaining about retail content. Whoops.
    One thing you need to realize otaXephon, the way vanilla wow was structured makes it very hard to have a content drought. Yes, at the point you have a full set of BiS naxx gear, an epic mount, maxed professions, grand marshal/high warlord title, yes, you've beaten the game. Vanilla wow didn't let you skip content like that though. It made you walk through each step of its progression to see the next tier of content. So while there would be an end (which I personally find attractive), it would be such a long journey to get there that it would be well worth it.

(For those who didn't get the point, you raid MC until you get into BWL. BWL to AQ40. AQ40 to Naxx. This progression line ignores all leveling, dungeons, professions, and smaller raids required to complete that content. There is always something new around the corner... for a very long time)

it's kind of interesting to read the reddit post history of the guy who wrote the nost/ely announcement today:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Suzerain_Elysium

"The problem with Nostalrius originally was the location in which it was hosted. This new server will be hosted in a country that the copyright laws will not be able to take it down. That means the only options Blizzard will have are: 1. Leave it up 2. Make better legacy servers."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilkarik View Post
    One thing you need to realize otaXephon, the way vanilla wow was structured makes it very hard to have a content drought. Yes, at the point you have a full set of BiS naxx gear, an epic mount, maxed professions, grand marshal/high warlord title, yes, you've beaten the game. Vanilla wow didn't let you skip content like that though. It made you walk through each step of its progression to see the next tier of content. So while there would be an end (which I personally find attractive), it would be such a long journey to get there that it would be well worth it.

(For those who didn't get the point, you raid MC until you get into BWL. BWL to AQ40. AQ40 to Naxx. This progression line ignores all leveling, dungeons, professions, and smaller raids required to complete that content. There is always something new around the corner... for a very long time)
    An then what? Shake your fists angrily for not adding new stuff to them cesspool servers, or reroll and do it all over again for the next 6 months, ad infinitum?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donner View Post
    it's kind of interesting to read the reddit post history of the guy who wrote the nost/ely announcement today:

"The problem with Nostalrius originally was the location in which it was hosted. This new server will be hosted in a country that the copyright laws will not be able to take it down. That means the only options Blizzard will have are: 1. Leave it up 2. Make better legacy servers."
    It's astounding the reality bubble those guys live in, like they're untouchables because they're doing people a great service while enjoying their powertrip.

15+ Year Old Account

The people (Nos) still don't live in said countries. That hasn't and won't change. So yea, they can host it in a country outside the copywrite laws, but they're still breaking laws and can be prosecuted in said country.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Kilkarik View Post

I don't need to "realize" anything. I've debased this idiotic argument every time it's come up.

Attunements and artificial gating were bad for this game. You want proof? Look at WotLK, the only time WoW held over 10M+ subs consistently for the entire time it was out. What was different about WotLK from TBC and classic? Oh. That's right, it got rid of the attunements and artificial gating, both of which were vestiges of EverQuest that were incredibly unpopular and made the game overall less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    It talks about retaining subs does it not?
    The sub numbers during classic have nothing to do with what I wrote. I am genuinely curious as what point you are trying to make.

or 3. realize Elysium has been shit for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    An then what? Shake your fists angrily for not adding new stuff to them cesspool servers, or reroll and do it all over again for the next 6 months, ad infinitum?
    No no, dude, you beat wow. That's the point. Wow today is a skinner box where you never win. Do you have a full set of titanforged gear with gem slots and tertiary stats and beat all of the bosses on mythic with every pet mount toy etc etc etc. The point of modern wow is to never end. In vanilla, there was an end to the story, you could beat the game. It was hard as fucking nails to do, but you could beat it.

Personally, this is what I'm striving for in a legacy server. I want to be the warrior with thunderfury who beat kelthuzard. I want to beat WoW.

Also, sure, if I really really wanted to keep going I could reroll but that's not the point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    or reroll and do it all over again for the next 6 months, ad infinitum?
    What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The sub numbers during classic have nothing to do with what I wrote. I am genuinely curious as what point you are trying to make.
    So you have no clue what you are typing. You just post things and then forget and don't have any clue how its portrayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    These guys are hilarious.

And also delusional

I have my popcorn ready.

Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    Depends who you ask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Nothing, if that is your thing. But clearly a majority do not feel that way.
    What majority?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I don't need to "realize" anything. I've debased this idiotic argument every time it's come up.

Attunements and artificial gating were bad for this game. You want proof? Look at WotLK, the only time WoW held over 10M+ subs consistently for the entire time it was out. What was different about WotLK from TBC and classic? Oh. That's right, it got rid of the attunements and artificial gating, both of which were vestiges of EverQuest that were incredibly unpopular and made the game overall less fun.
    You're right but you're wrong mate. (Also side note; assuming you know everything and have nothing to learn/realize is a horrible stance to have in life.) The quest based gating, while technically gating, wasn't the gating in vanilla WoW. The gear and power of your raid was. Gear was super hard to get back in vanilla. Bosses sometimes dropping 2/3 epics for 40 people is ridiculously low. The entire raid needing shadowflame resistance cloaks made from Onyxia's hide to do Nefarian. Needing sets of frost/fire/nature resist gear to do certain bosses. Having to farm up 10 different kind of consumables to be able to be ready for raids. These (and others I left out) were the real gating of vanilla mate.

Game was hard as nails and you had to really fight to beat it. That's the point and what a lot of people miss. Game was made to challenge hard core players. I want to do this shit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Your asking for a game that never has new content. I think its safe to say most people do not like that.
    All games have a fixed amount of content.
    Even retail WoW will at some point be "done".

So why is it so difficult to understand that for some Vanilla WoW is enough?

Legacy servers hosted by Blizzard would take time, time that would be taken away from Legion development. Or they could hire a full new team to manage an old game (which equals paying people they shouldn't have to pay)

Private servers are illegal. This is a fact. Nostalrius is not some movement, fighting for you! THE ONES THAT MISS THE GLOOOORY days. They are an egotistical group of fucking assholes who wouldn't be on the map at all if they didn't jump on a high horse thinking they are some massive company now because of their amazing 10k average players. Once they got all the attention, they just continued this non existent "controversy"

Look at Blizzcon 2016, the Legion panel was loaded with people who love the live game. And not a single person gave a shit when someone shouted "LEGACY SERVERS"

This whole topic is meaningless at this point, just a bunch of shitposters shitting on people for shitposting

If you like the idea of legacy servers, great.

If you think blizzard OWES you ANYTHING because of the "nostalrius" movement... Get over yourself

If you think the WHOLE of the vanilla playerbase hates retail WoW and wants the terrible storytelling, mediocre pve content, broken pvp content back. Than get over yourself.

The pro legacy "movement" Is a minority that knows how to scream at the top of their lungs.

Please, quit with the constant entitlement, the constant shitting on blizzard because YOU no longer enjoy the game, and please, quit speaking for anyone other than yourselves when it comes to "how bad EVERYONE" wants vanilla back

Thank you, and enjoy Elsyium. I hope for your enjoyment it doesn't get shut down.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

7+ Year Old Account

unlike a legacy server, once you are done with the content on retail your wait for the next content patch and continue
    legacy servers wont have such a thing.
    once you are done with everything you will get bored into infinity.

Formerly known as Arafal

But retail still get a lot of new content, that is why people keep playing it. Of course when retail is no longer getting any updates, there is likely to be many many people who quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    once you are done with everything you will get bored into infinity.
    no u

not every1 u

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacRR View Post
    Good luck to Blizzard, if they shut down AGAIN the same problem, community is not stupid and the snow ball is just gonna be more big and big and big and big. If they don't want to do legacy, is stupid closing these servers that are taking the pressure AWAY from you and you can be on board just on retail.
    Yea, it will snowball more and more and then Blizzard will bring down the hammer and not just force these servers down but sue the people hosting them into obblivion so their grand grand grand children can still pay.